PDA

View Full Version : Something to ponder... - PvE Spoiler

Phenteo
01-12-2016, 03:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/15IlKFJ.png

funktion
01-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Love these spoiler puzzles!

Edit: this card also looks pretty badass!

Rendakor
01-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Rite of Denial 6SSS
Constant, Quick
When this enters play, interrupt target troop.
Sacrifice this > Interrupt target non-troop.

Metronomy
01-12-2016, 03:41 PM
6 ressources rites of denial
constant, quick

When this enters play interrupt target troop.
Sacrfice this -> Interrupt target non-troop.

All in all quite interesting but probably not realy good enough in most situations.

Saeijou
01-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Rite of Denial 6SSS
Constant, Quick
When this enters play, interrupt target troop.
Sacrifice this > Interrupt target non-troop.

dat spoil... :P

Saeijou
01-12-2016, 03:43 PM
6 ressources rites of denial
constant, quick

When this enters play interrupt target troop.
Sacrfice this -> Interrupt target non-troop.

All in all quite interesting but probably not realy good enough in most situations.

well... it's two cards in one and a *free* verdict...
maybe a 2-of in a control deck

AswanJaguar
01-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Much more playable at 5 than 6 IMO. I can't see this being useful under most situations, but quick constants are sweet. I like the new design space they're exploring here.

Saeijou
01-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Much more playable at 5 than 6 IMO. I can't see this being useful under most situations, but quick constants are sweet. I like the new design space they're exploring here.

well... let's see the equip for it first ;)

Edswor
01-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Interesting card. It's the fist constant quick we see in Hex?

Tiddyn
01-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Man, I suck at puzzles. Love the card though :D

AswanJaguar
01-12-2016, 04:10 PM
Interesting card. It's the fist constant quick we see in Hex?

Bah, good job Edswor. You put it together faster and better than I did with only access to Paint. :D

Mejis
01-12-2016, 04:14 PM
Woot. Amazing. Thanks for assembling.

Also, thanks for the puzzle, love spoilers that take a bit of work. And I was just thinking there'd been a dearth of spoilers compared to last week.

Edit, tad expensive at 6 cost for the initial play (but obv quick is great), but the sac ability shines. Love that it's a quick constant.

WolfCrypt
01-12-2016, 04:57 PM
This card confuses me... I don't get it

Mejis
01-12-2016, 05:05 PM
This card confuses me... I don't get it

What don't you get Wolfcrypt?

You pay 6 (at 3x sapphire threshold) to interrupt a troop card. As in, you cancel it entering play. However, this card (rite of denial, not the troop you just interrupted) is a Constant so it then stays in play on your side with the ability of: "sacrifice rite of denial: interrupt target non-troop". So say your opponent tries to Extinction all troops, you could sacrifice Rite in order to prevent Extinction from triggering.
So you're getting a two-for-one in terms of a single card does two things.
Furthermore, the card is a Quick constant, meaning you can hold back the play for on your opponent's turn. Hope that makes sense?

WolfCrypt
01-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Thanks so it interrupts a card to be put in play then you can destroy it to stop any action. Thanks haha I can be terribly slow.

facade
01-12-2016, 05:15 PM
I actually really like the constant aspect of it.

I can tap out for a threat that would win me the game and have a free interrupt ready for any actions that the opponent may play that would nullify my game-ending threat.

A little on the expensive side, but I think a useful tool against the AI

AswanJaguar
01-12-2016, 05:21 PM
A little on the expensive side, but I think a useful tool against the AI

Yes, like preventing it from using Relentless Assault or Word of Xentoth. Er...

Damn.

:P

IVIagic
01-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Will there be some card that get constant from crypt?That 9 cost diamond constant in set2 looks good

WolfCrypt
01-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Word of Xentoth? Does anyone hold all these Private Test Server slip uppers accountable? At this rate they'll tell us everything XD.

Mejis
01-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Word of Xentoth? Does anyone hold all these Private Test Server slip uppers accountable? At this rate they'll tell us everything XD.

Word of xentoth is Xarlox's uninterruptable destroy troop card.

WolfCrypt
01-12-2016, 06:34 PM
I never met it

wolzarg
01-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Something that might have gone over a few heads this doesn't have to interrupt a troop.

AswanJaguar
01-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Something that might have gone over a few heads this doesn't have to interrupt a troop.

Que? When it comes into play it can only target a troop being cast.

*edit* Yup, missed the option to make this a 6 resource Verdict. How silly of me.

knightofeffect
01-12-2016, 06:48 PM

This is a good point. Technically, since the interrupt is a come-into-play effect, the constant should be able to resolve itself before it fails its target search resulting in the ability fizzle. It will be interesting to see if Hex allows this.

This is a card that can very easily go from marginal (assuming the above is possible) to very important with the right equipment.

Showsni
01-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Right - if you absolutely have to, you can use it as a 6 cost counter for a non troop.

frychikn
01-12-2016, 08:36 PM
another thing to ponder... "are gonna get a real update this friday?"

hammer
01-13-2016, 12:00 AM
Without a way to hold priority in hex now this cant counter a nontroop for 6 from the hand if that's what is being implied. You can play it as a six to counter a future nontroop spell though

Ertzi
01-13-2016, 12:10 AM
Oh, right. So the troop interrupt is in the chain without a target, but somehow you can immediately sacrifice the constant before the trigger to interrupt a non-troop card, is that it? Can this work? I bet HEX will not allow it, if it was meant to be working in another way. Man, complex TCG rules are awesome :D

Mejis
01-13-2016, 12:11 AM
Oh, right. So the troop interrupt is in the chain without a target, but somehow you can immediately sacrifice the constant before the trigger to interrupt a non-troop card, is that it? Can this work? I bet HEX will not allow it, if it was meant to be working in another way. Man, complex TCG rules are awesome :D

Wouldn't the card actually have to be in play on the table for it to be sac'able to interrupt a non-troop? Am I misunderstanding?

WolfCrypt
01-13-2016, 12:20 AM
Wouldn't the card actually have to be in play on the table for it to be sac'able to interrupt a non-troop? Am I misunderstanding?

I'm with you. "Huh??"

Fateanomaly
01-13-2016, 12:58 AM
I don't get what you guys don't get. If the constant is played after an action is played then it will enter play while the action is still on the stack. It should be able to response to the action by saccing itself.

WolfCrypt
01-13-2016, 01:16 AM
Oh

wolzarg
01-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Without a way to hold priority in hex now this cant counter a nontroop for 6 from the hand if that's what is being implied. You can play it as a six to counter a future nontroop spell though
This is actually incorrect.
Spell on stack>you cast constant>opponent prompted to respond>opponent declines, constant enters>you are promted to respond to spell or allow it>you sac constant

Not saying its a good value at 6 but you absolutely can use it in an emergency making it infinitely better.

Mejis
01-13-2016, 01:38 AM
This is actually incorrect.
Spell on stack>you cast constant>opponent prompted to respond>opponent declines, constant enters>you are promted to respond to spell or allow it>you sac constant

Not saying its a good value at 6 but you absolutely can use it in an emergency making it infinitely better.

Thank you. This is what I assumed must happen, but wording above suggested to me that it could be sac'd on chain before entering play. This all makes sense properly now, sorry for being a bit slow.

Cernz
01-13-2016, 01:43 AM
hm still think its quite expensive for a counter, but maybe there are more cards like mindcaller who can reduce the costs of cards in hand, so it might be more playable.

Khazrakh
01-13-2016, 04:03 AM
hm still think its quite expensive for a counter, but maybe there are more cards like mindcaller who can reduce the costs of cards in hand, so it might be more playable.

It is expensive without question, but it is a cool card nonetheless. At it's absolute worst it's a "interrupt anything" for 6.
At it's best you can interrupt the opposing bomb troop, tap out yourself for the gamewinning play the very next turn and still have a hard counter to any non troop answer.
Also you can just play it on your opponents turn even if you don't want to interrupt anything just for the fact that you can tap out to play something in your own turn and still have the ability to counter a non-troop spell.
And to add to it just by having the constant on the board you can force your opponent to make non-ideal plays just for the fact that he has to try to play around it.
The more I think about it the more I want to play it ;)

Ertzi
01-13-2016, 04:05 AM
Thank you. This is what I assumed must happen, but wording above suggested to me that it could be sac'd on chain before entering play. This all makes sense properly now, sorry for being a bit slow.

Yeah, that was my bad, sorry for the confusion. I am at work and responded in a hurry, so my wording was a bit shoddy. It definitely has to be in play, which it will be before the non-troop card, so it works. I finally got my brain around it as well. I like the card quite a lot actually :)

Mejis
01-13-2016, 04:36 AM
Yeah, that was my bad, sorry for the confusion. I am at work and responded in a hurry, so my wording was a bit shoddy. It definitely has to be in play, which it will be before the non-troop card, so it works. I finally got my brain around it as well. I like the card quite a lot actually :)

Hehe no worries at all.
And yeah, I think the card is great.

knightofeffect
01-13-2016, 08:52 AM
If they add a constant bounce engine similar to devoted emmisary, this card could get pretty bonkers :P

Saeijou
01-13-2016, 09:13 AM
If they add a constant bounce engine similar to devoted emmisary, this card could get pretty bonkers :P

with syzygy for sure! :)

DocX
01-13-2016, 09:56 AM
So.... 6 cost, double sapphire threshold and needs to target a troop on the chain in order to come into play. Then, once it's in play, it can interrupt target non-troop.

From what I see, it's too expensive. I need to have 6 resources left open with nothing else I want to spend it on and hope I can spend it on my opponent's turn to stop them playing a troop. Then, once it's in play (whether or not I've stopped one of their troops coming into play), they can see that I have a counter to whatever non-troop they want to use, so they're able to play around it.

I'm not a good player, so I may be missing some obvious interaction (or non-obvious interaction with unrevealed cards, equipment or class/race abilities), but right now i don't see this card ever going into a control deck.

Edited to account for Yoss's correction of my misunderstanding about whether or not this was required to target a troop

Koz
01-13-2016, 10:17 AM
I agree with many others here, this card seems too expensive to be good. The equipment may help it, but gear slots are at a premium, sooooo....they need to make these cards good on their own, not just when you have the gear on.

Yoss
01-13-2016, 10:19 AM
So.... 6 cost, double sapphire threshold and needs to target a troop on the chain in order to come into play. Then, once it's in play, it can interrupt target non-troop.

From what I see, it's too expensive. Open question of whether or not it requires a troop to target in order to bring it into play. I presume it needs to target that troop. So I need to rely on my opponent to do something while I have 6 resources left open on their turn. Then, once it's in play, they can see that I have a counter to whatever non-troop they want to use, so they're able to play around it.

I'm not a good player, so I may be missing some obvious interaction (or non-obvious interaction with unrevealed cards, equipment or class/race abilities), but right now i don't see this card ever going into a control deck.

People already covered this in the thread, but to repeat in a different way:
You cast this with no targets. If not interrupted, it will enter play.
As it enters play, it triggers its first ability, which seeks out a target. If no target, the troop interruption ability fizzles but the constant remains and may be used immediately or at a later time.

knightofeffect
01-13-2016, 10:30 AM
So I think this card is growing on me a bit. Again, assuming that the text will work in Hex as it seems it should. IE you can cast and fizzle the troop counter, I think this card could be really powerful against control decks.

The concept of having a free counter just sitting on your board can really allow you to push board position during your turn when you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

For example: you are playing against a control deck with strong removal. You are also playing a control deck with this card and your opponent goes through a turn where he doesn't play anything that concerns you, so EoT you cast rite of denial. On your next turn you use your 6 resources to cast archmage and still hold 2 open for verdict. You have now been able to play a huge threat with double counter protection at only 6 resources.

...Pretty strong.

DocX
01-13-2016, 12:44 PM
The concept of having a free counter just sitting on your board can really allow you to push board position during your turn when you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

And by "free" you mean "something you paid six resources for previously in the game", right?

Again, if there's something that allows you to cheat this out (like a Titania's Majesty for Constants), then I'll recant. But saying this is "free" isn't quite true.

DocX
01-13-2016, 12:45 PM
People already covered this in the thread, but to repeat in a different way:
You cast this with no targets. If not interrupted, it will enter play.
As it enters play, it triggers its first ability, which seeks out a target. If no target, the troop interruption ability fizzles but the constant remains and may be used immediately or at a later time.

Thanks for the clarification. Will edit original post to account for that.

Aradon
01-13-2016, 12:52 PM
Having a counterspell you don't have to pay mana for the same turn you're doing important things is significant, but I honestly feel like a 6-mana counterspell needs more than just this flexibility to see play. Six is a lot of mana to hold up for something.

On the other hand, it's a pretty strong play after playing a Windsinger :)

Tinfoil
01-13-2016, 01:14 PM
To understand the value of this card you must look at the shard it is in. Sapphire decks often work in a way where you set up a win-con early and then bounce'n'counter your opponents threats away. This is a conditional 2-in-1 counterspell perfect for pacifying your opponent while Reese, Ancestors Chosen or Windsinger is winning you the game. Really good in a Wintermoon style deck. You could also try to hit it with a Dreamwalker ;)

I wish this was a pvp card... :(

knightofeffect
01-13-2016, 01:14 PM
And by "free" you mean "something you paid six resources for previously in the game", right?

Again, if there's something that allows you to cheat this out (like a Titania's Majesty for Constants), then I'll recant. But saying this is "free" isn't quite true.

Correct, I was focusing on it being free when you need it assuming you can squeak out a single opponent's end step with 6 open resources, something that shouldn't be too hard for a control deck to pull off.

Tazelbain
01-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Just need to use a Spectral Acorn...

RCDv57
01-13-2016, 08:32 PM
Just need to use a Spectral Acorn...

If I'm gonna crack open an acorn I'd want to play something with a bit more impact.
I'd still run x2 of these thou. Seems like a cool way to set up lots of protection.

Gwaer
01-13-2016, 09:14 PM
If I'm gonna bust a nut I'd want to play something with a bit more impact.
I'd still run x2 of these thou. Seems like a cool way to set up lots of protection.

ftfy

Elwinz
01-14-2016, 07:54 AM

Thats basic Xarlox boss fight card which have been in the Arena since day 1. But as you fail hard in arena you probably dont knoew even what bosses plays.;pIts not destroy troop card. Its mill 10 cards and draw 2 cards.

Saeijou
01-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Thats basic Xarlox boss fight card which have been in the Arena since day 1. But as you fail hard in arena you probably dont knoew even what bosses plays.;pIts not destroy troop card. Its mill 10 cards and draw 2 cards.

no need to get rude...

Zophie
01-14-2016, 10:09 AM
no need to get rude...

Well I can't speak for Elwinz but I know wolfy has made it a point in several posts that he has never beaten the arena and has been pretty negative about his skill in there, so I think Elwinz might have just been referencing those statements, rather than actually trying to insult him.

For example, I suck at drafts, and have said as much publicly to others, so if someone referenced my statements about sucking at drafts to help explain something or answer a question I had, I don't think it'd be rude, maybe a little blunt, but I'm okay with that.

WolfCrypt
01-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Well I can't speak for Elwinz but I know wolfy has made it a point in several posts that he has never beaten the arena and has been pretty negative about his skill in there, so I think Elwinz might have just been referencing those statements, rather than actually trying to insult him.

For example, I suck at drafts, and have said as much publicly to others, so if someone referenced my statements about sucking at drafts to help explain something or answer a question I had, I don't think it'd be rude, maybe a little blunt, but I'm okay with that.

Oh I beaten it once

Zophie
01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Oh I beaten it once

Oh sweet dude, gratz, last I heard you mention it you said you still haven't finished it yet, I'm glad to hear you finally got through it :)

WolfCrypt
01-14-2016, 10:35 AM
Oh sweet dude, gratz, last I heard you mention it you said you still haven't finished it yet, I'm glad to hear you finally got through it :)

I used aa mono Blood mono Shin'hare deck.

Stormlight
01-14-2016, 11:42 AM

Actually, Word of Xentoth specifically was NOT in Arena since day one. As detailed in the patch notes (https://www.hextcg.com/patch-notes-v0-9-6-042/) v0.9.6.042 for March 18th: "The Princess Cory, King Gabriel, Eurig the Robomancer, Uzume, Grand Concubunny, Xarlox the Broodlord, and Zoltog Frost Ring Arena encounters have new AI-only cards that will make your life more… interesting."

Thus the deck list (https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-100000-tournament/) given for Xarlox on March 13th has doesn't list it.

If you're going to tease someone for their lack of knowledge, you should at least do it accurately. =)

Xavon
01-14-2016, 02:36 PM
How about an equip for this that decreases its cost (in any zone) whenever a card is interrupted?

WolfCrypt
01-14-2016, 02:52 PM
Equips don't do that sorta thing.

thegreybetween
01-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Equipment could totally do that sort of thing, and it would be a very thematic way to go for "Rite of Denial" - the more denial that happens, the easier it is to invoke the rite. I like it.

Gwaer
01-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Equips don't do that sorta thing.

How do you know what equipment does or does not do?

Saeijou
01-14-2016, 03:11 PM
How do you know what equipment does or does not do?

don't question him! he knows ;)

incitfulmonk21
01-14-2016, 03:18 PM
How about an equip for this that decreases its cost (in any zone) whenever a card is interrupted?

Awesome idea! I fully support this equipment for being thematic and cool!

Mejis
01-14-2016, 03:36 PM

Amazing idea. Devs, make so. Then hire Xavon :p

WolfCrypt
01-14-2016, 03:41 PM
The logic of that equipment just kinda unfathomable. Now "When you play an action this gets -1" seems reasonable.

Jensling
01-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Why would "Whenever you interrupt a card" be less logical than "Whenever you play an action"? Even more to the point, when not all interrupts necessarily are actions (like the Rite itself)

WolfCrypt
01-14-2016, 03:52 PM
I just think "Whenever you interrupt" is just too byzantine.

thegreybetween
01-14-2016, 04:00 PM
Too byzantine for an interrupt itself? A double-whammy interrupt, no less? If ever there was an appropriate platform for such an interaction, this is it.

When in Byzantium, do as the Byzantines.

wolzarg
01-14-2016, 04:53 PM
I really think while i wouldn't like a lot of intterupts in my pve deck thematically it makes perfect sense since this is the holy grail of interrupting.

Yoss
01-14-2016, 05:00 PM
I love the equipment idea.

Xavon
01-14-2016, 06:12 PM
I really think while i wouldn't like a lot of intterupts in my pve deck thematically it makes perfect sense since this is the holy grail of interrupting.

Well just the Rites alone would be free after the third one (with this equipment).

wolzarg
01-14-2016, 06:35 PM
Well just the Rites alone would be free after the third one (with this equipment).
I wasn't saying its a bad idea mechanically or thematically just that counters are the last thing i want to play in pve. I play enough control in pvp in pve i want to explode stuff and murderilate everything.

IVIagic
01-21-2016, 05:49 AM
Since it's a PvE card, and AI plays Inquisitor/Corpse fly but no constant-destroy card in their decks. So it's better than just bring 2 counterspells for a control deck, to save rooms for other cards, and 6 resources is just acceptable. But won't take more than 2.