PDA

View Full Version : Gameforge's pricing policy on platinum

Eldath
01-15-2016, 04:38 PM
Warning: This is a rant that applies to European and Asian players.
To mods: If you think this post is inappropriate, please move it to the correct section or just delete it altogether.

So here's the rundown on pricing menu which we non-American players face:
4.99 Euros - 700 plat
9.99 Euros - 1,400 plat
24.99 Euros - 3,500 plat
49.99 Euros - 7,000 plat
99.99 Euros - 14,000 plat

At first glance, the structure seems fair. But if you look at this closely, you'll see that if someone on a tight budget were to purchase 700 plat each on 20 instances (for 14,000 plat), he/she would actually need to pay only 99.80 Euros instead of 99.99 Euros.

So my question to Gameforge submitted in July 2015 was:
Why should I be penalised for wanting to purchase a higher amount of plat in order to support the game that I love?

The support staff did reply that they forward my "suggestion" to the "correct department".
I thought, "Fair enough, I'll wait for the top management to act."

But, as of today, 16-Jan-2016, I'm disappointed to announce that the situation remains unchanged after like, 6 months.

Guys, do you think my expectations are fair, or am I nit-picking here?

I'm sorry for the lack of screenshots to back up my claims, but the system wouldn't allow me to insert images.

Yoss
01-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Yeah, it's dumb and has been from Day 1. USD has the same problem. Ultimately it's just a few pennies though.

The much bigger problem is that they have not maintained their stated policy of pegging prices to USD. They set their initial prices based on the exchange rate in 2014, which was something like 1.4:1. Now that it's more like 1:1 it desperately needs to be updated.

One such thread for reference:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=45577

Zophie
01-15-2016, 05:03 PM
The much bigger problem though is that they have not maintained their stated policy of pegging prices to USD. They set their initial prices based on the exchange rate in 2014, which was something like 1.4:1. Now that it's more like 1:1 it desperately needs to be updated.

^ This is indeed the much bigger issue. I've stopped buying larger amounts of plat until we get an answer/resolution to this, and will be disappointed if it's not resolved when Set 4 comes out and I'm ready to blow a chunk of my tax return on plat.

Gen91
01-16-2016, 11:26 AM
They set their initial prices based on the exchange rate in 2014, which was something like 1.4:1. Now that it's more like 1:1 it desperately needs to be updated.

This was always a problem with computer games and currencies.
In nearly all cases Europeans payed more and now that Americans have to pay more once they all whine about it, so I think it is ok to keep it as it is, so they don't have to react to every change in exchange rates...

Yhwa that the 99.99€ option is more expensive than the smaller options is stupid,but in an older thread someone said it's a small fee, so one don't have to go threw the payment process multiple times.

AdamAoE2
01-16-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure if I'm not understanding correctly, but am I understanding that for every 100 euro purchase, you're losing out on .19 euros, aka the equivalent of 21 cents? If this is the essence of the complaint, then I think they probably have more important things to change. If you can afford to spend 100 euros multiple times for platinum, then I don't think the loss of .19 euros is really that big a deal. :P

Xavon
01-16-2016, 01:00 PM
I asked this day one. I pointed out every online game I know of except Hex (Puzzle and Dragons, TOR, etc.) give you a bonus for buying IGC in bulk, not a penalty. The response I got from Hex Ent was a shrug. The response I got from the community was heckling that if I wanted to waste my time buying small amount to save a few pennies, I could go right ahead. It is the reason I have only purchased Plat once (technically ten times in a row) to get the new VIP.

Ninja'd; there it is (though Adam at least is somewhat polite about it).

LNQ
01-16-2016, 01:25 PM
It's poor customer service for sure and I'm disappointed that it hasn't been corrected. Regardless, it's a really, really minor issue. More of a curiosity than a problem.

I feel Gameforge should care more about this than us, tbh.

Chark
01-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, to be fair gameforge pointed this out to me when we set up pricing and I was the one that made the call to basically ignore the fact that you pay 19 eurocents more if you buy in bulk. Contrary to what CS told you, this is unlikely to change.

The reason why we don't discount bulk purchases is that we decided to not play that game. We could have set that up, but the reality would have been is that it would have been 100 plat per 1USD at the top end. It's not like the base line would have been at 100 plat per 1USD and then you would have gotten a discount for buying more. Maybe it was the wrong decision, since people tend to be very used to a bulk discount, but we're pretty far down the current path that I think a change now would not resonate well with players.

In before the follow up questions about currency purchasing power discrepancies: I am not happy with those and continue to work with our publisher to change that, but at this time I don't have anything to report.

Xavon
01-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Maybe it was the wrong decision, since people tend to be very used to a bulk discount, but we're pretty far down the current path that I think a change now would not resonate well with players.

First, the game is still in beta and has a relatively small fan base. Better to change it now.
Second, yes, some people will whine it you made the change. But some people are going to whine about any change. And part of that would depend on how you change it.
Third, there is no maybe about it. Both economics and psychology says if you charge more to buy more (at least consistently, not as part of a limited time sales trick), you are going to hurt your sales base. For every person like Adam who says it is only a few pennies, you get someone like me. Even worse, there are people like me who are penny wise pound foolish, in both PaD and TOR there have been a few times when I went straight for the highest exchange of ICG because it was a better deal, even though it was more than I needed.

AstaSyneri
01-16-2016, 02:05 PM
I like the setup as it is right now. It's a nice breeze that that price is stable and I very much enjoy that EUR prices have not been adjusted. Decades of being subject to currency exchange rates for my games (starting with RPGs and board games in the 80s) have seen me at the wrong end of the curve. Prices for US players have been stable - there is no change compared to your purchasing power there. It's just that the game is still as affordable as it was at the start for us - also at no change in terms of purchasing power. Changing it would drive many European players away from he game - and right now what we want is more players, don't we?

Tinfoil
01-16-2016, 02:23 PM
I think it is very problematic that a company does not artificially inflate the prizes for small quantity purchases just so that people are lured into buying in bulk.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!

Liquidator
01-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Yes please keep the current pricing rate! I hate it when a game (or something else) forces me to invest more money than I want just because the exchange rate for plat (or gems or whatever fantasy currency) to real money is so bad on low spending levels. I was pleasently surprised to see that this is not the case in Hex! Btw folks if they would implement the bulk buying discount, the only way for them would be to decrease the amount of plat for the lower levels or else they would just make their product cheaper.

But of course you could just round up the pricing (from 4.99 to 5.00) to remove the "penalty". Or don't that's something I dont care about ^^.

Svenn
01-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Are people really concerned over pennies?

AdamAoE2
01-16-2016, 11:37 PM
Third, there is no maybe about it. Both economics and psychology says if you charge more to buy more (at least consistently, not as part of a limited time sales trick), you are going to hurt your sales base. For every person like Adam who says it is only a few pennies, you get someone like me. Even worse, there are people like me who are penny wise pound foolish, in both PaD and TOR there have been a few times when I went straight for the highest exchange of ICG because it was a better deal, even though it was more than I needed.

I'm don't disagree with you - I think you're probably correct that a higher quantity of something should have a small discount to encourage buying more, but I do find it somewhat refreshing that Hex maintains the cheapest cost at the low-end.

My original point remains, though. If you're in the economic position to where you can afford to be spending hundreds of euros/dollars on Hex Platinum, then the loss of what amounts to less then 1% is hardly worth worrying over imo.

To put it in perspective, if you make $12.60/hour, the discrepancy will come out to an additional 1 minute of work. From my perspective, it just hardly seems worth it to focus resources on trying to change this right now.

wolzarg
01-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Its most likely more of a psychological effect honestly. If anyone has enough money to buy into the big bulks the loss is fairly irrelevant but you feel like you get punished for doing nothing wrong. Hypothetically speaking that is as i don't personally share that belief but neither do i have the money to buy into the big packs of platinum so the issue is moot for me.

Ertzi
01-17-2016, 01:04 AM
I'm lazy so I only ever purchase the maximum amount (there will always be something I can use the redundant plat on eventually). As long as that cost stays the same for me, I don't care what changes are made. I wouldn't even care if US players get more for their buck at some point. However, the psychological impact of the plat suddenly being more expensive to me would be huge and would definitely have an effect on my spending habits.

wolzarg
01-17-2016, 02:36 AM
Something interesting i found out when checking today is that because my currency that i pay with on gameforge doesn't have cents but has a smaller value on its own i actually take a hit of 2.5 usd when buying the biggest pack. But i also get about 3 plat extra per euro value spent at the lowest possible buy.

While again i don't really care to much about the whole pricing thing as long as it isn't stupid like those if you buy the mega pack you get 8 times the value of the smallest one 2.5 usd lost is more than a few cents.

Clawdius
01-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Of course, we're all overlooking something here. Each time we process a Credit Card transaction, Gameforge must pay a transaction fee. That fee is usually a percentage, and a flat rate of a few cents, maybe 10-15.

So if enough people were to be patient enough to buy every 10000 plat transaction 500 plat at a time, or 14000 and 700 for our EU friends, Gameforge would have a significant impetus to discount larger transactions appropriately. It's not like anyone is asking for much, 99.50 isn't a huge savings over 99.99, or even 99.80. It's not just some convenience fee that's a problem here, it's more that continuing to charge more when you buy in bulk than when you buy in smaller units is a company cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I don't know about companies that do tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in business with credit card companies, they might only pay a flat percentage on credit card transactions, but I know that the reason you see things like "All prices reflect a 3% cash discount" in brick and mortar stores is because of those transaction fees. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if they only paid a percentage, but I have seen instances where people hate a cause and donate .01 to that cause hundreds or thousands of times in an attempt to cost that cause money in transaction fees.

It coming down to some sort of battle over principles is the last thing I think anyone would want. If I were intransigent on the company side, I would look at giving sleeves out at all the various purchase price points. Then in effect you'd be paying that tiny bit extra and getting a sleeve, and the company would get fewer transaction fees without customers feeling slighted because buying in bulk winds up costing more than buying in smaller increments. Either that, or I'd lose the damned pennies on the prices, 1000 for 10.00 etc, no matter how entrenched the mindset that things costing a penny less will encourage someone to buy them. Sorry, but I can't think of anyone I know who has said "99.99, that's a steal, it's not even 100 dollars!".

It's shady used car salesman nonsense, they say "Under 6000 dollars!" and you go in and it's 5999.99+TT&L. I'm aware that some people who have a completionist bent might be inclined to pick up platinum at every price point to acquire all the sleeves, but I think as long as they were awarded retroactively when they were implemented, a lot of people wouldn't really mind the idea. Maybe it's just me, after all I'd get the 5, 10, and 20 dollar plat purchase sleeves. If the sleeves used existing art, especially common card art, I don't think people would be severely inconvenienced on either side of the equation. You might convince someone in the future to pick up 50 in plat instead of 20 just because they wanted a sleeve, and in the long term enough of that should more than pay for the work it would take to implement and retroactively award that sort of a solution.

Not that I see anything like that happening, but who knows, when I wrote an impassioned plea for PVE spoilers in every Friday update until the campaign launched I seem to have gotten that (and then some, even). I'm sure it was purely coincidental, but it felt like I had an impact which is always nice. http://www.listen-tome.com/i-want-a-new-drug/

Yoss
01-17-2016, 03:17 PM
This was always a problem with computer games and currencies.
In nearly all cases Europeans payed more and now that Americans have to pay more once they all whine about it, so I think it is ok to keep it as it is, so they don't have to react to every change in exchange rates...

You have it exactly backwards. US players (ones that are smart) are now playing LESS for their plat because they convert dollars through g2a and get 7kp for less than $50. One of the effects of this is that RMT value for everyone plummets. Right now cash out options are $1 to 200p, a discount from retail of 50%. It also affects HXE's profits since a big chunk of players can buy cheaper. Furthermore, if exchange rates flip, the problem won't go away. It will just make it so that Europeans now become the ones with a discount and the problem remains. As Chark said below you, HXE knows it's a very real problem and they're working on it. (Hopefully Cory really is "the boss" of this game as he claimed he was. I'm getting sick of what appears to be intransigence from the GF side of the business deal.)

magic_gazz
01-17-2016, 07:12 PM
I do agree that the price should be the same no matter how much you buy.

People that think they should get a discount for buying in bulk are wrong though. Discounts for buying in bulk are actually just a punishment for those who don't spend enough.

Laggi
01-17-2016, 07:48 PM
Wow, I read this wrong so many times. Was confused why people are answering it so seriously.

On-topic: I love/hate the current pricing. I like the fact that it doesn't make me spend more money on it because I feel like I'm getting ripped off if I buy only a small amount of plat, but on the other hand, I hate it when I decide that I want to finally spend 50-100 euros on it, but end up not spending that much, since I don't get a discount.

I would still take the discount though, but I have no idea what kinda impact it would have on the economy, and I'm too lazy (since I just woke up) to read up all the replies right now, that would probably enlighten me.

LNQ
01-18-2016, 02:04 AM
Laggi, to summarize the official statement, the only way a discount would work would be to keep the 100 euro package the same but make the cheaper ones more expensive. Which would suck.

Turboflex
01-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Is this seriously a 3 page thread about 19 cents? I think you have bigger problems than HEX.

wolzarg
01-18-2016, 08:34 AM
Again not 19 cents for everyone 2.5 dollars for me for example and people are absolutely entitled to a opinion when they are being punished for spending more.

Tazelbain
01-18-2016, 08:39 AM
It may be small thing, but it's such a basic, trivial thing to mess up and their inability to fix after all this time is worrisome.

Yoss
01-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Is this seriously a 3 page thread about 19 cents? I think you have bigger problems than HEX.

No, there is a significant side discussion about exchange rates, which Chark himself came in to comment on. I agree the 19 cents are not a big deal, though it is a bit odd.

LNQ
01-18-2016, 02:01 PM
No, there is a significant side discussion about exchange rates, which Chark himself came in to comment on. I agree the 19 cents are not a big deal, though it is a bit odd.

Yes, one would think there is nothing preventing them from changing the price of the biggest deal to 99.80 dollars and be done with it. That's the part that seems strange to me. Surely that difference is smaller than the goodwill it would create.

HaemishM
01-18-2016, 03:49 PM
The reason why we don't discount bulk purchases is that we decided to not play that game. We could have set that up, but the reality would have been is that it would have been 100 plat per 1USD at the top end. It's not like the base line would have been at 100 plat per 1USD and then you would have gotten a discount for buying more. Maybe it was the wrong decision, since people tend to be very used to a bulk discount, but we're pretty far down the current path that I think a change now would not resonate well with players.

The change would resonate very well with me. I've always been completely mystified as to why in every other F2P/microtrans game I play, I get a discount for buying more in-game currency, yet in Hex I do not. And yes, I do tend to spend a little more at a time if I get a bulk discount. I've done it in League of Legends often. I also think it would benefit Hex as you might find yourself with fewer transactions, and I'm going to assume that your credit card processor charges you fees based on the number of transactions.

You wouldn't hear me whine about bulk discounts on plat.

BKCshah
01-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Other F2P/microtransaction models that have discounts are not attempting to maintain value of the cards or items in your inventory. Most are account locked and only serve to benefit you. They cannot be gifted to other players. So they are a pseudo currency. Look at the obvious comparison of mtgo. There are not discounts for Event Tickets - which are equivolent to plat. (can be bought w/ real life money and traded or used to get other items).

Chark
01-18-2016, 04:09 PM
The change would resonate very well with me. I've always been completely mystified as to why in every other F2P/microtrans game I play, I get a discount for buying more in-game currency, yet in Hex I do not. And yes, I do tend to spend a little more at a time if I get a bulk discount. I've done it in League of Legends often. I also think it would benefit Hex as you might find yourself with fewer transactions, and I'm going to assume that your credit card processor charges you fees based on the number of transactions.

You wouldn't hear me whine about bulk discounts on plat.

I feel like people in favor of a "discount" still don't understand the ramifications of this. They keep assuming that this will be implemented like so (changes in bold):

4.99 Euros - 700 plat
99.99 Euros - 28,000 plat (was 14,000 plat)

Where the reality the change would be:

4.99 Euros - 350 plat (was 700 plat)
99.99 Euros - 14,000 plat

Tazelbain
01-18-2016, 04:19 PM
VIP is the better way to handle it. Basically you are get close to face value for the packs and the discount is in the form of tickets that have abstract value. It can be improved but make more versions of it. Some that are stack-able. Some that are PvE focused.

Chark
01-18-2016, 05:48 PM
We don't want to do gifts with bulk purchases as it implicitly provides a discount for bulk purchases.

At the end of the day, I don't want people guessing when and how the best way to buy platinum is. I want them to be comfortable buying platinum in any amount and never worry that there'll be a sale or some gimmick later that will cause them to lose value.

wolzarg
01-18-2016, 06:00 PM
We don't want to do gifts with bulk purchases as it implicitly provides a discount for bulk purchases.

At the end of the day, I don't want people guessing when and how the best way to buy platinum is. I want them to be comfortable buying platinum in any amount and never worry that there'll be a sale or some gimmick later that will cause them to lose value.
I greatly appreciate the fact that this is your stance and i both hope and think it will continue like this.

Xexist
01-18-2016, 07:29 PM

Why not adjust it so that it is just equal? Not less, not more, just equal in whatever multiple you buy?

DocX
01-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Why not adjust it so that it is just equal? Not less, not more, just equal in whatever multiple you buy?

First reason because math is hard when dealing with human lizard brains

Because human lizard brains are dumb

If you want everything to be equal, the obvious thing to do is peg 1 US penny to 1 plat. Then you pay $5.00 for 500 plat, $10.00 for 1000 plat, $100.00 for 10000 plat, etc. But folks who sell things know about the human lizard brain being dumb. The lizard brain will make its owner buy more often if the first numbers are '4' instead of '5' (or '9' instead of '10'). So, you get 4.99 instead of 5.00, 9.99 instead of 10.00, 99.99 instead of 100.00 and so on. Unfortunately this means you spend an extra penny when buying 1000 plat over buying two lots of 500 plat... nd you spend an extra 19 pennies buying 10000 plat over buying 20 lots of 500 plat.

Hex and Gameforge are doing the responsible thing from a sales perspective. They're doing what almost every other retailer out there does: trick the lizard brain by making something X.99 instead of (X+1).00. So, by shaving off a penny to get more sales, you get an oddity of pricing that "penalizes" larger purchases (which, for me, I consider a convenience fee so I can do 1 transaction instead of 5 or 10 or 20 at a time.... the time it takes for me to do an additional transaction is worth much more than 1 penny to me).

Same thing about math being hard but with currency conversion

There's also the reason that, if you're purchasing in a currency that isn't USD (and setting aside the "exchange rates haven't been updated since the pricing was originally announced" issue), the exchange rates are not likely to divide evenly. You'll get remainders that will make the math more difficult in varying degrees.

Quick aside: If you aren't aware, there's a denomination of USD lower than the penny: the mill. 10 mills = 1 penny. 1000 mills = 1 USD. Ok, aside over.

If you're buying plat using Fredonian Pounds, Gameforge will price you out in lots of 500p, 1000p, 2000p and so on. It then figures out how many FP will be an equivalent of the USD price. If 1 FP = 0.990 USD, then you are paying 5.00 FP (since, like any good financial transaction, it'll get rounded in the bank's favor) for 500 plat, 10.01 FP for 1000 plat and 100.10 FP for 10000 plat. This isn't quite so bad because the numbers are even, but if 1 FP = 0.873 USD, you'll get discontinuities. They'll be pennies either way, but they'll still be discontinuities. 5.72 FP = 500 plat; 11.44 FP = 1000 plat; 22.89 FP = 2000 plat; 57.26 FP = 5000 plat; and so on.

Chark
01-19-2016, 11:36 AM

If it was simple to adjust pricing to be equal and not lose the 19 cents, I would have done it when I set up this pricing two years ago :)

Tazelbain
01-19-2016, 11:53 AM
If people are buying more for more, maybe you guys should have buy one for the price of two sale.

incitfulmonk21
01-19-2016, 11:58 AM
If people are buying more for more, maybe you guys should have buy one for the price of two sale.

That would be terrible. Why have it so you feel you wasted money because you didn't wait for a sale. Why do people want all these crappy f2p tricks and cheats and gaming the system. I love that CZE is of the mind set give a fair deal make a good game and everything sorts itself out with stooping to the f2p gimmicks.

Thanks Chark for doing the right and reasonable thing!

Tazelbain
01-19-2016, 12:14 PM
LOL

If people thought the 19cent surcharge for buying in bulk was fair this thread wouldn't exist.

incitfulmonk21
01-19-2016, 12:18 PM
Most people do think it is fair in case you haven't noticed only a very few have complained about it.

Jormungandr
01-19-2016, 12:32 PM
If it was simple to adjust pricing to be equal and not lose the 19 cents, I would have done it when I set up this pricing two years ago :)

Well, to be fair, it would be simple to set up that system, but it would look weird, or you'd lose the X.99.

$1 per 100 platinum rather than $4.99 for 500 would come out even, but you wouldn't have the .99 at the end (which I guess improves sales?)

Alternatively you could keep the $4.99 for 500, but then it would be $99.80 for 10000 which looks kind of odd (and the other costs along the way would be similarly strange). But the math would be consistent.

Chark
01-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Well, to be fair, it would be simple to set up that system, but it would look weird, or you'd lose the X.99.

$1 per 100 platinum rather than $4.99 for 500 would come out even, but you wouldn't have the .99 at the end (which I guess improves sales?)

Alternatively you could keep the $4.99 for 500, but then it would be $99.80 for 10000 which looks kind of odd (and the other costs along the way would be similarly strange). But the math would be consistent.

I would just lose the .99 moniker. I am not attached to it. But again, if it was simple to do this, I would have done it 2 years ago.

Jormungandr
01-19-2016, 12:46 PM
I would just lose the .99 moniker. I am not attached to it. But again, if it was simple to do this, I would have done it 2 years ago.

Fair enough. I think I misinterpreted your previous message. I thought you were saying it wasn't simple to come up with a system to make it come out even, rather than saying it wasn't simple to implement. Mea culpa.

Xexist
01-19-2016, 01:55 PM

$5 = 500

$10 = 1000

$25 = 2500

$50 = 5000

$75 = 7500

$99.99 = 10000

Boom. people arent being penalized. people get bulk discount (lol), economy not in ruins. Your welcome ;)

*edit*
Ok, if the argument is that it is hard to implement. fair enough. Cant argue with that :)

Rendakor
01-19-2016, 02:13 PM
That would be terrible. Why have it so you feel you wasted money because you didn't wait for a sale. Why do people want all these crappy f2p tricks and cheats and gaming the system. I love that CZE is of the mind set give a fair deal make a good game and everything sorts itself out with stooping to the f2p gimmicks.

Thanks Chark for doing the right and reasonable thing!Woosh, right over your head.

kindmime
01-20-2016, 06:30 AM
You are paying that extra penny to not have to click as much.

Showsni
01-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Yeah, there's no need to complain. If you have the time and inclination, just buy 20 $5 packages instead of 1 $100 and save yourself the pennies. If you can't be bothered, then you're paying the extra pennies for your time and convenience. How much is your time worth to you?

DocX
01-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Yeah, there's no need to complain. If you have the time and inclination, just buy 20 $5 packages instead of 1 $100 and save yourself the pennies. If you can't be bothered, then you're paying the extra pennies for your time and convenience. How much is your time worth to you?

I've not run into this myself, but have heard from others that multiple transactions in a short period of time (possibly measured in days or weeks, not hours or minutes) can get your account flagged by Gameforge for possible fraud. So, even if you value your time so little that it was reasonable for you to go through the multiple transactions, it may have detrimental effects on your account requiring you to go through the trouble to get your account unflagged.

Falaris
01-21-2016, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, to be fair gameforge pointed this out to me when we set up pricing and I was the one that made the call to basically ignore the fact that you pay 19 eurocents more if you buy in bulk. Contrary to what CS told you, this is unlikely to change.

In before the follow up questions about currency purchasing power discrepancies: I am not happy with those and continue to work with our publisher to change that, but at this time I don't have anything to report.

I might be in the minority, but I strongly appreciate not allowing bulk purchases be discounted. It was advertised as $1 per 100p from the outset. Its good that you stuck to your stated policy