PDA

View Full Version : Gareth Kay

Xavon
01-15-2016, 07:44 PM
So, setting the whole Superman shout out aside, I fail to see how the Inspire power of a prismatic three drop can protect your entire army.

Unless the Emblazoned Chestguard's ambiguous wording means "When Gareth Kay dies, each troop you control gains 'The next time this troop would take damage, prevent it.'." But dying to protect it doesn't exactly feel like what they meant, either.

Or Queen Grace is secretly lowering his cost on the side, if you know what I mean.

Not bad though, might be worth building a D/S Inspire deck with him in it.

And now I think 'The next time this troop would take damage, prevent it. Then it loses this power.' might make a good keyword, if only to shorten things up.

Sinistarlol
01-15-2016, 07:54 PM
Realistically if it could prevent damage to your troops every turn it would be far too good and cost 100$ for a single card. I think he does a good job considering his stats, his cost is good (arguably could be too op if he only cost 2) which most drops are cost 3 to 6 in 60% of all decks.

Overall a very powerful inspire, however.. only thing I don't get is why is he unique.

After all this inspire; is a defense mechanism that relies on your opponent attacking/blocking, so if you have a good set up it may feel less valuable in terms of only protecting those troops once. Besides, to easily negate this effect you can deal damage across the board with many spells that counters his effect. So I think unique is a tat bit excessive. That's just my 2 cents.

GobBluth
01-15-2016, 08:16 PM
I agree that the wording is very ambiguous. I was trying to figure out how it is intended to function but couldn't pin it down.

nicosharp
01-15-2016, 08:29 PM
I can already see a hideous Conversion deck with him and midnight shepherd... muwhahaha.

The wording is pretty easy to translate on the card and for the equipment.
The Prevent Damage modifier needs to improve the way it currently sticks to targets and labels them now, like targeting a troop with mystic spiritualist after it attacks.
The equipment that gives troops in hand quick also gives it to them permanently. That is amazeballs.

wolzarg
01-15-2016, 08:50 PM
I really feel like this card is unique only for flavor reasons and i dislike that as the card would be easier to justify the equipment for if it wasn't unique.

Overall a cool human card that fits with the human theme i would say.

WolfCrypt
01-15-2016, 09:04 PM
What good is having two of him out at once it can't STACK. When he dies all cards on field are immune to one attack or damage spell so.. This is an awfully blunt card.

wolzarg
01-15-2016, 09:06 PM
What good is having two of him out at once it can't STACK. When he dies all cards on field are immune to one attack or damage spell so.. This is an awfully blunt card.
Opponent is at 8 and has no blockers. Because you can't play the second one, in the next 3 turns you only do 6 damage. In that time the opponent found something to save them, you lose.

The fact is any unique past the first one carries increased risk of screwing you over which is why unique cards are often considerably stronger than others to outweigh that and even then they most times don't see 4 of play.

WolfCrypt
01-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Um....... I don't get it.

Aradon
01-15-2016, 09:35 PM

He'd prefer it if he could just use him as a 2/3 troop too, rather than just his defensive abilities. Since he's unique, you can't use multiple copies of him to put on the pressure.

wolzarg
01-15-2016, 09:36 PM
Assume i know what I'm talking about and i can putt it like this. A troop that is unique can cost you a win in some situations where a identical but not unique troop would win you the game.

Xavon
01-15-2016, 09:52 PM
Realistically if it could prevent damage to your troops every turn it would be far too good and cost 100$ for a single card. I think he does a good job considering his stats, his cost is good (arguably could be too op if he only cost 2) which most drops are cost 3 to 6 in 60% of all decks.

Overall a very powerful inspire, however.. only thing I don't get is why is he unique.

After all this inspire; is a defense mechanism that relies on your opponent attacking/blocking, so if you have a good set up it may feel less valuable in terms of only protecting those troops once. Besides, to easily negate this effect you can deal damage across the board with many spells that counters his effect. So I think unique is a tat bit excessive. That's just my 2 cents.

I don't want him to prevent damage every turn. I just think that as a three drop, he doesn't work as described. He's going to miss all the one and two drops in your deck (except when he dies with the chest equip).

As a unique prismatic, whose inspire power is not permanent, I think a two drop would be more fitting.

wolzarg
01-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Cheaper isn't always better when dealing with humans who have a lot of inspire. Sure a 2/3 with his ability at 2 would be better almost certainly but lets assume flat stat balance and make him a 1/2 for 2 this card would be so much worse for most human decks.

That said considering how pushed the coyotle one is assuming they are the same kind of card it could probably have been a 2/2 and be great at 2. This doesn't have to hold true however as the coyotle one isn't unique so might not be part of the race set we have seen so far with the dwarf and this human.

poizonous
01-15-2016, 10:29 PM
The way i see 1 and 2 cost troops, they are set ups and eventual chump blockers so i don't think Gareth really needs to save them

Showsni
01-16-2016, 02:17 AM
He's a sneaky way to gain card advantage. Against a lot of decks (looking at you, Ruby!) his power means they have to kill all your cards twice! It's hard to get a gauge on his power level without playing with him, but I can certainly see that it might turn out to be good enough he needs the unique downside to balance him.

Biz
01-16-2016, 02:54 AM
town crier removes most of the downside of being unique

dream dance can as well, but idk if this would fit in a blessing the fallen deck

YourOpponent
01-16-2016, 01:50 PM
You do realize right that since he's UNIQUE you can use that to your advantage in certain situations? Such as times where you want to force it to die by playing another from your hand for example...so things with a negative effect such as Incubation Web can be dealt with in a way that is favorable for you...

the_artic_one
01-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Using the Unique rule to trigger the on death effect from his equipment sounds fun.