PDA

View Full Version : Orders from High Command -- PvE spoiler

Mejis
01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
From the HEX reddit, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/hextcg/comments/41b7zr/orders_from_high_command/

And I guess therefore from Twitch from Havoc?

http://i.imgur.com/sVs4sfF.jpg

Sinistarlol
01-16-2016, 06:53 PM
Wow!

WolfCrypt
01-16-2016, 07:15 PM
That is possibly broken XD

Mejis
01-16-2016, 07:32 PM
That is possibly broken XD

Very, very expensive though.

WolfCrypt
01-16-2016, 07:33 PM
Very, very expensive though.

Oh there is that I didn't even see cost haha XD

wolzarg
01-16-2016, 09:04 PM
in before "This created the same unique 3 times in a row the rng in the game is broken this is how you should fix it bla bla"

Biz
01-16-2016, 09:26 PM
can I be a 'trinity' class?

plaguedealer
01-16-2016, 09:40 PM
love the art, more castle art please

WolfCrypt
01-16-2016, 09:44 PM
love the art, more castle art please

What the castle spoiled yesterday not good enough it's a castle just ruined XD

Phenteo
01-16-2016, 09:47 PM
Maybe with equipment?

http://i.imgur.com/e6zTKAw.png

WolfCrypt
01-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Damn Mr Spider that's badass.

Mejis
01-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Maybe with equipment?

Whoa. That uncommon equip helps a ton. And with both equip, wowzer!

WolfCrypt
01-16-2016, 10:01 PM
Heh now show us Human traits I'm tempted to try em but need traits XD

wolzarg
01-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Suddenly moved from unplayable to somewhere between acceptable and awesome depending on how pve speed pans out.

LNQ
01-17-2016, 01:38 AM
Suddenly moved from unplayable to somewhere between acceptable and awesome depending on how pve speed pans out.

I'm hoping there are some clever mechanisms that force us to play different paced decks in different dungeons. How boring would it be if aggro decks would always be the best option in PvE, like they are in Frost Ring.

poizonous
01-17-2016, 01:56 AM
Aggro decks will always be the most time efficient for farming. Doesn't make them the best option for dungeons.

Vorsa
01-17-2016, 03:11 AM
That is some beastly equipment!

Erukk
01-17-2016, 03:21 AM
Aggro decks will always be the most time efficient for farming. Doesn't make them the best option for dungeons.

I'm going to look forward to anti-aggro dungeons and raids where the bosses get something like heatwave as their charge ability. Because you know there are going to be at least a few people angry that they can't clear it with their orc rush decks.

RCDv57
01-17-2016, 03:41 AM
Stop it. Stop making Human clerics so cool.
Its ruining all my evil underworld plans.
Now I have to fight all these crazy invincible humans. Its garbage.

Maybe... Maybe I'll just have to... do some research...
Yeah thats it! Research!

I swear I'm not playing the class because it is fun and interesting. No!
I simply must know how it works in order to defeat it!

Yeah. Thats all it is.
Research

WolfCrypt
01-17-2016, 03:57 AM
Stop it. Stop making Human clerics so cool.
Its ruining all my evil underworld plans.
Now I have to fight all these crazy invincible humans. Its garbage.

Maybe... Maybe I'll just have to... do some research...
Yeah thats it! Research!

I swear I'm not playing the class because it is fun and interesting. No!
I simply must know how it works in order to defeat it!

Yeah. Thats all it is.
Research

Their traits may suuck :P

YourOpponent
01-17-2016, 06:33 AM
can I be a 'trinity' class?

Possibly...but I'm guessing that trinity would be a trait and not a class. Also if that is even possible then you would need to use The Triumvirate mercenary...which I'm guessing functions a lot like the final campaign fight with Lord Adam using the champion ability to make parts of the Triumvirate.

Erukk
01-17-2016, 07:41 AM
...which I'm guessing functions a lot like the final campaign fight with Lord Adam using the champion ability to make parts of the Triumvirate.

If that turns out to be true, I'd imagine their price is going to skyrocket when they get around to doing the merc ability reveal. ;)

YourOpponent
01-17-2016, 08:22 AM
If that turns out to be true, I'd imagine their price is going to skyrocket when they get around to doing the merc ability reveal. ;)

Keep in mind I highly doubt that it will turn your champion into the Triumvirate. More likely it'd be with the Triumvirate in play on the board, but still incredibly useful.

BenStoll
01-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Their traits may suuck :P

Allow me to personally assure you that the human racial traits, as well as the human-cleric combo traits, do not suck ;)

Jensling
01-17-2016, 10:52 AM
So what you're saying is they'll blow? :P
j/k

DocX
01-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Maybe with equipment?

Phenteo, thank you so much for posting the equipment for this card. Completely turned around my view of the card from "hideously expensive binder fodder" to "Absolutely playable, especially in multiples." Got into a long conversation last night on HAVOC's stream where he spoiled this about how unplayable this is. Being able to see the equipment would have completely short-circuited that conversation.

A suggestion for future spoilers, please make sure to include the equipment (if any) in the spoilers provided to folks. I would almost go so far as to say any card spoiler (especially a PVE card) is not complete without its equipment.

WolfCrypt
01-17-2016, 11:27 AM
Allow me to personally assure you that the human racial traits, as well as the human-cleric combo traits, do not suck ;)

I was teasing lol their traits may make me make one depending on how many char slots we get. I'm making a Coyotle at all costs XD

RCDv57
01-17-2016, 12:34 PM

http://i.imgur.com/cc8t14j.gif

Edswor
01-17-2016, 01:20 PM
The equipment make all the difference for this card. Now I really like the card ;) .

Aradon
01-17-2016, 01:23 PM
I agree. I find the uncommon actually much stronger than the legendary effect. At 8 cost, it's too slow, especially since you only get the troop at the start of the next turn, and it won't even be able to attack yet. However, if you can cast it for 5 mana on turn 5, that seems better by orders of magnitude :D

ossuary
01-17-2016, 03:55 PM
It's a little foolish, with or without equipment, to attempt to categorically dismiss a card for a format people know virtually nothing about, based purely on cost. Even without the equipment, you don't know that there won't be additional ramp options in PVE, or ways to cheat cards into play, just to name two random examples.

Rush decks will not necessarily always be king in PVE, and a deck built around this card, that drops troops like mad and has a lot of survivability, could be great for more difficult dungeons where you need consistency moreso than speed.

Mejis
01-17-2016, 04:14 PM
It's a little foolish, with or without equipment, to attempt to categorically dismiss a card for a format people know virtually nothing about, based purely on cost. Even without the equipment, you don't know that there won't be additional ramp options in PVE, or ways to cheat cards into play, just to name two random examples.

Rush decks will not necessarily always be king in PVE, and a deck built around this card, that drops troops like mad and has a lot of survivability, could be great for more difficult dungeons where you need consistency moreso than speed.

Absolutely this. I find it a bit crazy that people have dismissed numerous PvE cards whilst having no real idea of how PvE will work in terms of encounters, game pacing etc.

poizonous
01-17-2016, 04:45 PM
Slow decks will always be viable but they won't be as time efficient for farming which is the biggest pull for aggro deck

WolfCrypt
01-17-2016, 04:59 PM
Amen Oss

Evilgm
01-17-2016, 05:19 PM
It's a little foolish, with or without equipment, to attempt to categorically dismiss a card for a format people know virtually nothing about, based purely on cost.
No it's not. We know enough about how Hex functions as a game to know that 8 cost cards that don't impact the board immediately are seldom worth playing. The game would have to be functioning completely differently on a number of levels, and it's unlikely that PvE would be so disjointed from PvP because it makes little sense to split the game so drastically.

Even if there's an encounter that significantly changes the standard dynamic, unless it applies to an entire dungeon it wouldn't be enough to make this worth playing at 8, and even if there was a dungeon where this was amazing it would still be a bad card without the equipment.

With the equipment it is certainly worth considering, and I'm fine with that concept- having equipment requirement effectively function as a cost on a card is a unique concept that only Hex can implement, and is a good use of design space as long as it's not overused.

bizznach
01-17-2016, 05:19 PM
also can u imagine a turn 3 or 4 raid win?
all those cost 6 7 or 8 cards im betting will deff see play
probably a lot like wow tcg raid game.

many more turns

Aradon
01-17-2016, 05:33 PM
I agree with EvilGM. The PvE environment will definitely be different from competitive PvP, but we don't need to toss all our experience out the window. We can make some informed guesses about what is and is not good enough to make the cut, especially when we already know it will have to compete with other various cards we have at our disposal, like Army of Arcane Cinders, Windsinger, and Augur of Sirion.

IronPheasant
01-17-2016, 06:36 PM
It's a little foolish, with or without equipment, to attempt to categorically dismiss a card for a format people know virtually nothing about

It requires two additional turns to pass to be used offensively, one to be used defensively. That's no return on use until turn 8 to 10. Only playable against very, very long bosses that have like 100 hp and only take 1 damage from damage sources. Or very, very aggravating control decks.

It's primarily one of those crazy "fun" cards which people play primarily for fun. I'm actually rather a fan of Constants that just poop guys out and ignore Extinction.

WolfCrypt
01-17-2016, 06:47 PM
Everyone is calling out every card as broken or pointless I can't wait for Campaign so people will start taking cards seriously. Frost Ring and PVP have nothing in common as to regards to Campaign minus mechanics and FR uses PVE cards..

Laggi
01-17-2016, 06:55 PM
*Fapping sounds intensify*

RCDv57
01-18-2016, 12:41 AM
...It fills you with determination

DocX
01-18-2016, 10:32 AM

No, it's not foolish, it's taking known information based on months or years of playing Hex specifically and more years playing other card games in general and applying it to the card as originally shown (without equipment). Assuming an appropriate deck build for each of these cards, which would you prefer based solely on the card?

Mammoth Squirrel Titan
Charge Colossus
Ozawa
Eternal Guardian
Mass Polymorph: Dingler
Shoggoth
Myrym
The Kraken
Orders From High Command

Those are all 8 cost cards. Most of those will, at the very least, keep you from losing. Having the choice between Myrym (get back all troops from the crypt to serve you), Eternal Guardian (no damage to me or my troops), Mass Poly (turn all opposing troops into Dinglers), or The Kraken (tap down all of his Troops) vs OFHC, I'd go for them every time If I'm at turn 8 in Diamond, I'd likely rather have Ozawa who is likely to be a big body, with Lifedrain.

Even at 7 cost, I'd rather have Syyn, War Bot Dropship, Malice Demon, Uruunaz, Purge, or Harbinger of Hastur.

You want an even more direct comparison, Born of the Flame. 1 less cost, two more troops all on the same turn. How much does that see play?

Also, I can't speak for everyone, but for me I made sure to say "Based on the cost and the card, it's not worth it". Once I saw the equipment which reduced the cost to play, it seems much more playable.

Everyone is calling out every card as broken or pointless I can't wait for Campaign so people will start taking cards seriously. Frost Ring and PVP have nothing in common as to regards to Campaign minus mechanics and FR uses PVE cards..

I look forward to the release of PVE as well so we can see everything in context. But, until then, if we're going to be given information piecemeal, we'll only be able to judge based on the information we have in front of us. All of those judgements will be flawed because they're based on incomplete information. I look forward to being able to make informed judgements based on more complete information.

ossuary
01-18-2016, 11:12 AM
My comments were directed towards those people who were dismissing it out of hand with no actual analysis or consideration. It IS, in fact, foolish to make assumptions and make pronouncements as to a card's quality / caliber / usefulness without a larger picture to go off of, even if it's something that people love and enjoy doing. If for no other reason, because these preconceived notions people form may keep them from ever trying or giving those cards they've dismissed a fair chance.

Remember: the first infinite combo that was ever found for Hex was accomplished with Shrewd Manipulation. That doesn't automatically make it a good card (it's still not a GOOD card), but it goes to show that you shouldn't completely dismiss ANY card until you at the very least understand its purpose, function, environment, and possible interactions.

Aradon
01-18-2016, 11:48 AM
There were... all of three people who said anything less than 'Wow' or 'Amazing' by page 4. Honestly, I'd rather see more attempts at analyzing power level and less pure hype. To each their own, I suppose, but it's a bit presumptuous to decide that those dismissing it are doing so out of hand or without consideration.

I think most people posting their thoughts on the card are at least aware that when new cards are revealed (or talent trees for that matter) a lot of cards are going to have to be revisited. They're saying what they think given the currently known information, which is a fair bit more than you make it out to be. We don't know the exact mechanics of every dungeon, but we know what the Frost Ring looks like, and we know that there will probably be a larger range of tempos needed for various fights. Especially when raids are released, we'll probably have a need for more durable sources of card advantage. Like DocX said, we have other cards to compare to baseline already, so we can make some pretty good guesses as to whether we'll want this or something else we already know about. Certainly things could come up that could have us change our minds, but we might as well work with what we have right now. Nobody's saying it'll never be good, just that they don't have intentions of playing it now. Or at least, before they get the equipment, since literally everyone said that the gear makes it great.

LNQ
01-18-2016, 12:28 PM
We still dont know what kind of deckbuilding limitations we will have in PvE. I expect that to have a huge impact on cards' usabilities.

Turboflex
01-19-2016, 11:07 AM
We don't know the exact mechanics of every dungeon, but we know what the Frost Ring looks like, and we know that there will probably be a larger range of tempos needed for various fights. Especially when raids are released, we'll probably have a need for more durable sources of card advantage.

Right. People think about some kind of fight where the AI opponent has very strong troop removal abilities/cards (warbot on steroids). Something like this that can keep churning out troops for you will be pretty useful to keep pace with him.

the_artic_one
01-19-2016, 11:18 AM
Slow decks will always be viable but they won't be as time efficient for farming which is the biggest pull for aggro deck

That's assuming that all rewards are based on defeating your opponent (in which case defeating them as quickly as possible is most efficient). We've already seen some encounters where rewards are based off destroying certain troops. It's highly possible there will be some things control is better at farming.

Showsni
01-20-2016, 03:29 AM
The obvious comparison is Warp Stone - both 8 costs that make random troops, and both only really shine with their equips. So, in a deck built around them, would I prefer this or Warp Stone? Probably the Stone. It just makes so many more troops; though you do need ramp to get it out. And of course this card can rebuild after a board wipe all on its own, whereas Warp Stone needs two troops in play before you can do that. Warp Stone can also be used the turn you play it, rather than having to wait until the start of your next turn, meaning the troops are able to attack on your next turn. Still, it's a pretty nice card, and the equips certainly help. A constant that sits there generating card advantage that either costs a lot or you have to wait quite a while to play... Seems like a good fit in a control deck. (Plus those Sapphire/Diamond colours!)