PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Super-Villains

Carthain
01-18-2016, 12:32 PM
For people that have more than one set, or who have a crossover pack -- how to you guys determine which villains to use?

We typically get all of the "Starts on top of the villain stack" cards and choose one of those at random, and then choose another bunch at random to make the rest of the stack.

Some of the crossovers want to use the super-villains in a certain order -- does anyone mix and match or randomize with these ones?

gerrymul
01-18-2016, 01:06 PM
JSA is a popular mix in with our group, so we use the villains from that set, excluding Gog, and then randomly choose 12 with a random top of stack from the sets.

Shadowzero
01-18-2016, 02:59 PM
For people that have more than one set, or who have a crossover pack -- how to you guys determine which villains to use?

We typically get all of the "Starts on top of the villain stack" cards and choose one of those at random, and then choose another bunch at random to make the rest of the stack.

Some of the crossovers want to use the super-villains in a certain order -- does anyone mix and match or randomize with these ones?

I do the same where i mix in all super villians from all the sets then randomly pick 20-30 because my group likes to play with more than 12 then because we exceed the 12 counter i pick 2 out of 6 random starters and add them on top then random pick from one of the last boss villians and put them on the bottom. to us its more fun to see random villians every time

GuruGuru214
01-18-2016, 04:59 PM
We've mixed sets before, but we haven't really played that way in a while. We run a Super Hero draft at the start of the game, and whoever makes the second ban gets to choose either the main deck or the Super-Villain stack for the game, and whoever goes next picks whichever of the two is left. For most sets, we'll play with the whole stack, unless we're playing with Impossible Mode villains. The last time we played with a full stack of those ended in a game that went on way too long. And yes, we play with the Crossover packs in order.

I've been thinking lately that we need to change up our system a little bit. See, in our draft, the third person to choose gets to pick the add-ins: one Crisis or Rivals, and one Crossover. Thing is, the last time we had Crossover Super-Villains come up, it was Crossover 2, in a game where Crossover 3 was added to the main deck. The result was the First Appearance Attacks making everyone miserable, with no cards in the main deck to get back the cards placed under our Super-Heroes. I don't see that as causing much of a problem in Crossovers 1 and 3, but it's definitely something I'm going to take into consideration the next time someone wants to play with Arrow Super-Villains.