PDA

View Full Version : Customizing the Main Deck

Carthain
01-18-2016, 12:55 PM
How do people go about customizing their main deck if you do so?

I've done it a couple times (I think that you can interchange any of the cards from the different sets gives so much variability, I could keep playing over and over and be constantly able to change things up enough to keep having fun with all this.)

When I customize it, I like to try and think of a theme or two to put into the deck. Examples of themes I've used:

Overpowered (any card that I felt was 'overpowered' for it's cost went into a single deck -- for Crisis only)
Low-cost cards matter
Card Types matter ("Quest" cards, and cards that granted Power based on # of {type} cards you play/have played that turn.)
Destruction theme
Top Of Deck

My current main deck has a combination of Destruction (a number of cards from Forever Evil), and Top of Deck cards (cards that care about the top of a players deck -- attacks that reveal/discard top card, Can put cards on top of your deck, etc.) Nth Metal is a nice cross between the themes.

I've also noticed that it seems that the following is a nice guideline:

Around 30 of the following: Hero, Villain, Equipment, Super-Power
5-10 Locations
Super-Powers can be less in #, as there are Kicks which are easy-access super powers for anyone to use.
Villains can be a little less in #, as there are super-villains in the game as well. (Usually I don't worry too much about this.)

Always nice to ensure you have a couple destruction cards, and I haven't paid too much attention to # of attacks vs # of defense cards yet -- just what kind of feels right, and then adjust after playing with it.

Here's some "mistakes" I've made, and try to keep in mind to avoid when future customizing:

Too few destruction cards. I had a deck with only 5-6 destruction cards. That felt to everyone as too few -- anyone who could get two of them could start to get a good advantage, especially if lots of weaknesses are flying around.
Too many attacks vs defense cards. This can vary depending on the type of attack. An attack that just discards the top card of your deck is mildly annoying. Attacks that give weaknesses (or two!) can start to be devastating, and you need to give players a decent chance of being able to defend those.
Low-cost cards as a focus was painfully slow to play. Took forever to be able to defeat the first super-villain, as nobody had sufficient power. So, you can also take this to as a warning not to put too many low-cost cards (3 or under) into your deck.

Also - I mostly stick to the DC games -- but I often put in Street Fighter cards that don't mention putting cards under your hero, and no Ultras or SF Locations. Cards like Tiger Shot or Yoga Teleport are nice and fun. SF is easy to mix in, as it uses the same card types.

Has anyone mixed LotR/Hobbit with DC or SF? How did that work out?

And, does anyone else want to share what they look for, or what they think about when customizing the main deck? Or any questions?

gerrymul
01-18-2016, 01:02 PM
When I customize I really like to see lots of different cards. I like to only put in 1 of each hero and villain card I include (after all, there's only one of them). I have also removed the insta-win, victory point multipliers, and ridiculously over-powered cards (like Man of Steel), and limit the big power generators like Starbolt to one per deck. I also include a fair amount of destruction so that any FE oversize cards are playable should we choose to.

Insofar as super powers, I concur that you need fewer due to the kick supply, and I limit to a maximum of 2 of any super power or equipment card (and only 1 if it is cost 6 or greater).

Carthain
01-18-2016, 01:42 PM
When you say you removed the victory point multipliers -- which cards are you referring to? Ones like Sciencell & Saint Walker?

For the big power generators -- is that you limit only one big power generator to the deck? or for any card that is a big power generator that you limit it to one of a given card?

So far I've been mostly putting in X copies of a card where X is however many copies I have. Although I do like the idea of Heroes & Villains being a one-per deck as they are unique -- but having multiple batarangs also makes sense to me. :)

Shadowzero
01-18-2016, 03:14 PM
Our group mixes in all cards from all sets. we keep every card destruction available in the game because no one likes to be stuck with starters all game with a ton of weakness and all defense cards available in the game. We decided to cut all victory point cards except for saint walkers and sciencells . We also cut cards we consider dead line up cards like the majority of the low cost cards such as batarangs, giant growth etc. To us once you get to a certain stage of the game you see those cards in the line up and don't want to buy it because you would rather draw another card in your deck or get a super villian or wait for a powerful card. what ends up happening is they sit there and no one wants to buys them which is why we love the watchmen set because it has a ton of line up destruction cards. The watchmen set is so good there isn't one card i would cut from that set we all love it

gerrymul
01-18-2016, 03:21 PM
When you say you removed the victory point multipliers -- which cards are you referring to? Ones like Sciencell & Saint Walker?
Yup. Also Larfleeze, Suicide Squads, most Power Rings.

For the big power generators -- is that you limit only one big power generator to the deck? or for any card that is a big power generator that you limit it to one of a given card?
One of a given card (such as Starbolt or Hawkgirl). Given my rules about no multiple heroes or villains, the Manhunters are out, and Kyle Rayner is out due to the insta-win condition.

So far I've been mostly putting in X copies of a card where X is however many copies I have. Although I do like the idea of Heroes & Villains being a one-per deck as they are unique -- but having multiple batarangs also makes sense to me. :)
I hear you on multiple batarangs. I think there should be a stack of 8 kicks and 8 batarangs for purchase as separate stacks. Superman and Cyborg could generate ridiculous power within a couple of turns just by buying kicks in the first 2-3 turns in the first game. Batman and Nightwing really suffer from equipment being generally desirable (with batarangs being bought just for the cheap cost for 2 power early game).