PDA

View Full Version : The Usurper Dungeon

Shaqattaq
01-19-2016, 06:47 PM
by Matt Dunn

For six centuries, the tomb of King Lodegan has stood as a cherished memorial to one of Carloth’s most beloved kings. His heroism and tenacity are the stuff of legend, and to this day he serves as a shining example to which all the citizens of Carloth may aspire. However, the tomb now lies in the hands of those unwholesome fiends, the necrotic, and one of their foul number has even gone so far as to take the good king’s body for his own. This usurper, Verrev, must be put down, and the remains of King Lodegan laid to rest. This request should not be taken lightly, for it comes from no less than the spirit of the great king himself!

https://www.hextcg.com/the-usurper-dungeon/

plaguedealer
01-19-2016, 06:53 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to running the dungeon. Really like that there is decent complexity at the beginning of the campaign.

WolfCrypt
01-19-2016, 07:18 PM
Nice card I hope Player Champions can get their own cards to create status ailments

Thoom
01-19-2016, 07:38 PM
Is this the announcement Cory mentioned in the PCGamer stream today, or should we expect something else tomorrow?

IronPheasant
01-19-2016, 07:40 PM
No, only announcements with a forthcoming event are worth announcing, otherwise it wouldn't be an announcement to an announcement, it's just be a plain 'ole boring announcement.

and who would want that?

:rowdiness intensifies:

Lafoote
01-19-2016, 08:40 PM
So awesome, but still no date. ARGH!!!

RoyHarper
01-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Great write-up, and it opens the door to a host of new mechanics. Both cards are awesome, too. Can't wait to see more of where this game is headed!

knightofeffect
01-19-2016, 09:53 PM
That was pretty awesome.. I'm spurtin here!

Also, here is some pretty nifty Hex localization I just came across... http://ol.tgbus.com/news/csxw/201601/13771593.shtml

Frost3
01-20-2016, 12:24 AM
Random thought. King Lodegan's Verdict is likely an homage to Verdict of the Ancient Kings, and that makes me wonder if in time we will see other verdicts from other kings. =)

Cainhu
01-20-2016, 01:31 AM
I really like how these dungeons are shaping up. I can't wait to play. :)

The action itself is very playable, and this and the Fort Romor preview both shows rewards closely connected to the story, which is absolutely great.

Zen
01-20-2016, 04:39 AM
Campaign is shaping up to be much more complex than I expected. If this level of diversity and depth is not misleading, there will be a lot of replay value.

JBMac
01-20-2016, 08:12 AM
This article definitely has me now wanting to roll an Ardent Champion. But I think my first PVE experience will be for the Underworld.

WolfCrypt
01-20-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm going to be a Coyotle so dogs vs corpses this'll be good

Xavon
01-21-2016, 11:55 AM
The dungeon sounds awesome. The Reward, not so much. It has a higher cost, higher threshold, and weaker basic effect the the 'Verdict of the Ancient Kings'. It is rarer, so it is harder to include with the deck restrictions. But, if you use it in an Ardent deck, at least your get a random troop. Except that the troop only meets threshold requirements. No guarantee you have the resources to play it. No guarantee it will be particularly useful for your deck. And it goes into your hand instead of play, so you can't even use it as a chump blocker.

I mean, for a more expensive, rarer, DUNGEON REWARD, it could at least be 'put a random Ardent troop from your deck or reserves into your hand.' That would be interesting, not particularly overpowering, and would at least give you something you know you want.

I am really starting to wonder about these PvE cards. And worry about a lot of things.

Yoss
01-21-2016, 03:23 PM
I am really starting to wonder about these PvE cards. And worry about a lot of things.

I have definitely been noticing your sour mood. :(

elfstone
01-22-2016, 04:42 AM
I really think people need to stop thinking every card needs to be friggin amazing. I think this is a solid card. no its not a friggin vampire princess, not everything is tier 1. Let them have fun with thematic cards. We've seen some less than stellar cards, and we've seen some amazing cards. Its basically like saying the game sucks if not every common in the game is as powerful as buccaneer.

Just enjoy the PVE component, if a card isnt to your liking, im sure theres hundreds more :).

btw, PVE HYPE!

Xavon
01-22-2016, 01:42 PM
I really think people need to stop thinking every card needs to be friggin amazing. I think this is a solid card. no its not a friggin vampire princess, not everything is tier 1. Let them have fun with thematic cards. We've seen some less than stellar cards, and we've seen some amazing cards. Its basically like saying the game sucks if not every common in the game is as powerful as buccaneer.

Just enjoy the PVE component, if a card isnt to your liking, im sure theres hundreds more :).

btw, PVE HYPE!

It's not about Frig, Odin, or any other god. It is about a rare, reward card that is demonstrably worse than a common card.

Yoss
01-22-2016, 06:15 PM
It's not about Frig, Odin, or any other god. It is about a rare, reward card that is demonstrably worse than a common card.

There are tons of trash items, even rare/unique ones, in virtually every RPG ever. Especially so when the item is a standard/automatic reward for some not-too-hard quest.

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 08:22 PM

It could be quite good in certain decks or with certain champs, or against certain encounters, and you haven't even seen the equips yet.

It could be awful, but you can't actually judge that yet.

Xavon
01-22-2016, 08:52 PM
It could be quite good in certain decks or with certain champs, or against certain encounters, and you haven't even seen the equips yet.

It could be awful, but you can't actually judge that yet.

Never said it was awful. And we have not seen the equip for Verdict of the Ancient Kings yet, either.

And as for being useful, just look at the Mage's default spell. This is perfect as a card you can dump from your hand if you have the cheaper and more effective common equivalent, or if you are able to use it, you can still dump whatever card it creates.

Xavon
01-22-2016, 08:54 PM
There are tons of trash items, even rare/unique ones, in virtually every RPG ever. Especially so when the item is a standard/automatic reward for some not-too-hard quest.

But this is not a normal RPG, it is also a TCG. And when a rare card is easily outstripped by a common card, it throws off the entire point of rarity.

Yoss
01-22-2016, 09:31 PM
But this is not a normal RPG, it is also a TCG. And when a rare card is easily outstripped by a common card, it throws off the entire point of rarity.

I think you'd better define what you think "the entire point of rarity" is so we can communicate clearly.

wolzarg
01-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Rarity is not and should not be a measure of power. There is no burn for 1 at common and mega burn for 5 at rare. Rarity is used as a limiter in limited formats and to putt more complex cards into sets in smaller amounts. Yes more complex cards can often be more powerful but rarely if ever a flat power upgrade.

elfstone
01-23-2016, 04:10 AM
we also need to remember that PVE is not PVP, they may have added this card in for those who dont want to pay or deal with the paying section at all. This is an alternative, perhaps not quite so good, interrupt.

Looking at it another way, this is the first PVE counter we've seen, regardless of what we see in PVP

wolzarg
01-23-2016, 10:24 AM
we also need to remember that PVE is not PVP, they may have added this card in for those who dont want to pay or deal with the paying section at all. This is an alternative, perhaps not quite so good, interrupt.

Looking at it another way, this is the first PVE counter we've seen, regardless of what we see in PVP
It is not tho we have seen 2-3 other counters in pve already one of them dating back to frostring.