PDA

View Full Version : Character builder

Maylick
01-20-2016, 04:31 AM
I apologise in advance if this was already mentioned somewhere. But as of now I can't believe no one actually said that.

I think that having a functional PvE character builder would do a great deal for players. Before release it would be such an awesome spoiler, and after release said builder is a required tool for planning your progress.

Now I do know HEXEnt are focused on delivering PvE and going out of beta tag (yay!). But for some reason I do believe said builder which would simply show your starter hand size/life/charge powers/traits (just a list of them) depending on your current talents could be a life saver. Even if it will delay campaign delivery for a few days.

I would like to hear your thoughts. And it would be really nice if any answer can be provided by devs. Even "this isn't worth production time/recources" would be apreciated.

Mejis
01-20-2016, 04:38 AM
I would much rather campaign hit immediately than the devs spend any time on this feature (no offence to your idea though :))

Fateanomaly
01-20-2016, 04:45 AM
Usually something like a character builder would be created by fans rather than the devs themselves.

LNQ
01-20-2016, 05:23 AM
There will no doubt be a site that has a character builder up in no time after the launch.

wolzarg
01-20-2016, 05:30 AM
Do we truly need a character builder for 9 points spread over something like 5-7 skills really?

Evilgm
01-20-2016, 05:45 AM
Well the Cleric was 19 points to max out Tier 1, which presumably means getting to level 20. Depending on how fast leveling is I can imagine quite a number of people finding value in planning it out, something made easier by an out of game builder.

hex_colin
01-20-2016, 05:50 AM
Well the Cleric was 19 points to max out Tier 1, which presumably means getting to level 20. Depending on how fast leveling is I can imagine quite a number of people finding value in planning it out, something made easier by an out of game builder.

You can't max out the skill trees. There are not enough points to choose all the skills. It's set up so that you need to make meaningful choices.

Evilgm
01-20-2016, 05:56 AM
You can't max out the skill trees. There are not enough points to choose all the skills. It's set up so that you need to make meaningful choices.

At launch? Because there are only 19 points available in the Cleric tree, and the level cap is supposedly 30.

wolzarg
01-20-2016, 06:00 AM
Level cap is 10 for the coming patch until something else is said.

Cainhu
01-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Level cap is 10 for the coming patch until something else is said.

I really hope it will take some time to reach that low level cap.

Elwinz
01-20-2016, 06:08 AM
waiting so long just to get vl 10 and 3 classes. Thats disappointing.

Cainhu
01-20-2016, 06:21 AM
waiting so long just to get vl 10 and 3 classes. Thats disappointing.

And we can't even have a character for every class/race combination.

Jensling
01-20-2016, 06:28 AM
And we can't even have a character for every class/race combination.

To be fair "10 I think" is rather vague, it might not be set in stone and it might be a "soft cap" i.e. that you can still unlock further slots with gold or by play, might even be an "at launch" thing, like the locked mid-high level talents

Cainhu
01-20-2016, 06:38 AM
To be fair "10 I think" is rather vague, it might not be set in stone and it might be a "soft cap" i.e. that you can still unlock further slots with gold or by play, might even be an "at launch" thing, like the locked mid-high level talents

I don't remember any instance, when a member of HXE said something, and we get more and not equal or less. But 10 can be a lot, IF it takes a long time to reach the cap, and IF we can unlock more I'm fine about it. Currently I try to avoid whistfull thinking, so I can get a positive suprise if I'm wrong. :)

wolzarg
01-20-2016, 07:14 AM
I have a feeling that playing through all the content once will putt you at about 10 depending on how well you did. This is rampant speculation however and it might take weeks of grinding but i would guess close to 10 when finished with current content.

WolfCrypt
01-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Who said we only get ten levels? And um Cory said he didn't want to spoil the whole thing so maybe he had more talents then was shown for that reason

Cainhu
01-21-2016, 01:32 AM
Who said we only get ten levels? And um Cory said he didn't want to spoil the whole thing so maybe he had more talents then was shown for that reason

I think it was in one of the last week updates, that we will get only the 1/3rd of the talents at launch, the max level is 30, so 1/3 talents most likely is 10.

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 01:33 AM
I think it was in one of the last week updates, that we will get only the 1/3rd of the talents at launch, the max level is 30, so 1/3 talents most likely is 10.

1/3rd can be taken so many ways to me.

LNQ
01-21-2016, 01:36 AM
Seems like they should have filler levels where you gain cosmetic stuff and then a talent point every 3 levels so that people could reach that level 30, as it feels like the number of levels is more important than actual content :)

WolfCrypt, I really recommend preparing to have just the talent tree that is shown in the Cleric Got Talent article when campaign launches. I know you want to believe, but it's not going to happen.

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 01:40 AM
Seems like they should have filler levels where you gain cosmetic stuff and then a talent point every 3 levels so that people could reach that level 30, as it feels like the number of levels is more important than actual content :)

WolfCrypt, I really recommend preparing to have just the talent tree that is shown in the Cleric Got Talent article when campaign launches. I know you want to believe, but it's not going to happen.

Ever considered they only wanna show the first ten levels of talent tree skills?

LNQ
01-21-2016, 02:28 AM
They would implement all 6 classes before finishing each class vertically, because there are cards that use player character class for their effect and not having all classes removes half of the troops from this pool.

Reaching Level 30 or whatever the max level is has to take some time, as this initial campaign release is meant to be extended by a lot over the course of the years. If people could reach max level right away with the first content, they would do themselves a huge disservice by not having the leveling aspect in play anymore when additional content is released, unless they would increase the level cap beyond 30 (which they likely eventually will).

A level cap of 10 with the first content release. There are quite a few abilities available already.

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 02:38 AM
They would implement all 6 classes before finishing each class vertically, because there are cards that use player character class for their effect and not having all classes removes half of the troops from this pool.

Reaching Level 30 or whatever the max level is has to take some time, as this initial campaign release is meant to be extended by a lot over the course of the years. If people could reach max level right away with the first content, they would do themselves a huge disservice by not having the leveling aspect in play anymore when additional content is released, unless they would increase the level cap beyond 30 (which they likely eventually will).

A level cap of 10 with the first content release. There are quite a few abilities available already.

If you speed run and get bored your own fault I think 30 levels and 3 pages worth of talents is plenty I don't see how anyone insists on only 110 levels. Cory has stated countless times he wants to save stuff. So fact we're not shown all talents is part of this. Everyone saying it's locked means we don't get it on launch should try and consider Cory's stance on spoils.

Cainhu
01-21-2016, 02:53 AM
Dear WolfCrypt :

"Each class has its own individual talent tree, the first third of which will be unlocked at Campaign Launch."

from here : https://www.hextcg.com/cleric-class/

If you still think we receive more than 10 levels then brace yourself for a dissapointment. Still, 10 levels could be a lot, based on how quickly you can level.

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 02:56 AM
EDIT: I did math I can live with ten level cap being the max. But I'm still not convinced till it's actually done.

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 05:13 AM
EDIT: I did math I can live with ten level cap being the max. But I'm still not convinced till it's actually done.

I can personally guarantee you that what you see is what you get, Wolf. Those talents at launch, nothing more. Can we stop the arguments now?

To the topic, I think the community would be able to put together a pretty good tool (at the least a spreadsheet) once the talents are available to us, so I don't think we need an official one. The downside is that the builder will take time to complete post launch.

Svenn
01-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Dear WolfCrypt :

"Each class has its own individual talent tree, the first third of which will be unlocked at Campaign Launch."

from here : https://www.hextcg.com/cleric-class/

If you still think we receive more than 10 levels then brace yourself for a dissapointment. Still, 10 levels could be a lot, based on how quickly you can level.

While I think it's very likely that we're only getting the first 10 levels... I will point out that this is a little bit ambiguous. Is that when the campaign is released, or when you launch the campaign?

And this, which references the first third being locked as well, but being unlocked through leveling: "Like I said, at first only your top two rows of talents will be visible and accessible—when you hit level 8 you’ll unlock the next two rows, and at level 15 you’ll unlock the final two rows."

From here: https://www.hextcg.com/hex-update-warriors-got-talent/

I really wish HexEnt would just post to clarify these types of things. It does not benefit them to sit there and ignore people's questions about this stuff.

Evilgm
01-21-2016, 08:14 AM
The fact that there's racials only unlocked at 15 and 30 is one of the things that makes me question the existence of an initial level cap.

LNQ
01-21-2016, 08:17 AM
I really wish HexEnt would just post to clarify these types of things. It does not benefit them to sit there and ignore people's questions about this stuff.

I agree. This is not something that spoils the experience or that brings any value to not release.

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 08:43 AM
The fact that there's racials only unlocked at 15 and 30 is one of the things that makes me question the existence of an initial level cap.

They don't want people regretting their race choices by revealing those talents later - lets say for arguments sake, the low level Orc warrior gives any one troop speed when you use your charge power, but the high level Elf Warrior gives all elves speed - very similar abilities, but very very different for deckbuilding. Dropping that information latet would cause outcry from the Orc warriors, as their main perk is overshadowed by the elf perk, and they would also complain about having to change races if they want that speed talent - so this is safer for them. Let people see, but not touch.

Koz
01-21-2016, 08:55 AM
I agree that they should clarify how many skills are available in the initial patch, and what the level cap will be when this first goes live. It's creating confusion and bickering, which isn't enjoyable for anyone. The fact that they seem to have attempted to be transparent with this information in that update shows they aren't keeping it back as a surprise, so I'm not sure why they don't just clarify the ambiguity and end the speculation.

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 08:58 AM
I agree that they should clarify how many skills are available in the initial patch, and what the level cap will be when this first goes live. It's creating confusion and bickering, which isn't enjoyable for anyone. The fact that they seem to have attempted to be transparent with this information in that update shows they aren't keeping it back as a surprise, so I'm not sure why they don't just clarify the ambiguity and end the speculation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they make an announcement about it tomorrow, but until someone official says otherwise, it seems safe to assume, based on info out there, level 10 max, and only the revealed talents.

Koz
01-21-2016, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they make an announcement about it tomorrow, but until someone official says otherwise, it seems sade to assume, based on info out there, level 10 max, and only the revealed talents.

I agree and that's what I've been assuming all along. Clarification would be nice though, so hopefully they do indeed announce it one way or another. Maybe we'll get an announcement of such and announcement Soon.

Svenn
01-21-2016, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they make an announcement about it tomorrow, but until someone official says otherwise, it seems sade to assume, based on info out there, level 10 max, and only the revealed talents.

My question is why post that article then not just have one person, anyone really (but probably the community manager... isn't that part of his job?), come in when people say "Hey, this sentence could be taken two ways... which one did you mean?" and say "oh, we meant it this way". It's not new information or something, it's clarifying a sentence that they obviously meant one way not realizing people might take it another way.

Like, what is so wrong in their communication processes at this point that a one line response to something like this doesn't happen? I feel like they used to be good at communication and now we can't even get a simple clarification. What changed?

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 11:08 AM
Maybe because PvE has been a chaotic iterative process and an article would cover everything at once with no chance of confusion. I mean, a dev could answer us, not remembering a minor change made a few days ago, then most of us would get the pitchforks out when it was wrong.

Svenn
01-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Maybe because PvE has been a chaotic iterative process and an article would cover everything at once with no chance of confusion. I mean, a dev could answer us, not remembering a minor change made a few days ago, then most of us would get the pitchforks out when it was wrong.

This was an article. It's a single line clarification from an article. I hope they know what they meant when they wrote it. A whole article to explain a single line from another article that people were unsure on which meaning they were going for seems a bit excessive.

As for a dev answering... that's what the community manager should be for. I realize he does more than just hang out on the forums, but something that a bunch of people are arguing about the definition of on the forums should be a priority.