PDA

View Full Version : Class Hype

WolfCrypt
01-20-2016, 01:02 PM
So what with Chronicles out soon (not trademarked?!) I wanted to talk about the classes and get your opinion on which you wanna do. I'm not going to go into full bore Vorsa esque mechanics and stuff he does mechanics and lore I just do lore and hype. Anyway. So here in order they were shown even if briefly.

Warrior: They focus on 'trained' troops and bashing your face in with sword hammer etc. Their talents focus on direct damage and boosting troops.

Cleric: They focus on artifacts and a class specific action and a few constants. Their tree is focused on healing themselves to high heaven and spamming their charge. They also buff troops defensively.

Mage: What little we can gather is their charge is highly spammable. They want to hoard SP(Spell Points) to infinity and beyond and cast a zillion spells on everything like a hyper active adrenaline junkie. They can focus on 'Life' or 'Destruction' or better yet balance them. There is also that little thingy "When a spell is cast increase it's cost by 1" Please reset at end of match... o.O

poizonous
01-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Elf Mage and Coyotle Cleric will be my first 2. Going to Save Necrotic until Warlock comes out

Aradon
01-20-2016, 01:09 PM
It's really hard for me to say what I'll do first. I know I want to play mage, since it's virtually my main in every game, but I guess it'll come down to the various traits. I can't see myself playing underworld races for a long while, but eventually I'll get to them. I'll probably find a mage, then cleric, then warrior to play, one in each race.

WolfCrypt
01-20-2016, 01:12 PM
I'm not usually into warriors but I may try them. Noww mage is something I'm determined to try.

Mejis
01-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Very difficult decision for a first character, but I think I'm going to head down the Coyotle Cleric path initially. Closely followed by Orc Warrior and/or human Mage.

Vengus
01-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Probably orc warrior for my orc aggro deck and a mage for my Winter Moon deck. I don't know yet which class to go for on my Dwarf deck, maybe Dwarf Warrior. Also would like to try a ruby/sapphire mage deck build around actions and maybe see if I can take my Diamond/Wild deck through campaign aswell.

DrakarT
01-20-2016, 01:21 PM
I really wanna try Coyotle Cleric first, but as soon as I find which race/class is better to use my favorite Raptors deck... Im going fulltime there :D

DrakarT
01-20-2016, 01:22 PM
Orc Warriors have a card for dinos.. but I dont know if it worth it

WolfCrypt
01-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Everyone is accepting the restrictions in these choices right? lol

LNQ
01-20-2016, 01:29 PM
I'll play underworld first just because everyone in this thread before me has claimed to start with ardent.

Xenavire
01-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Right now my plan seems to be Elf Cleric, Elf Warrior, and undecided (Dwarf?) Mage, and then probably eventually spread out the faction a bit as the other classes realease down the line.

thegreybetween
01-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Shin'hare Cleric wins my first build debate (given that my alternative was the presently unavailable Coyotle Ranger). I'm normally not much of a fan of the "evil" side of a campaign arc, but I do love building Shin'hare decks.

Fred
01-20-2016, 01:59 PM
I've always gone Mage first in just about any game, and the Necrotic have been my favorite race since the Kickstarter. Therefore, I am super hyped that I will get to be a Necrotic Mage from the start.

Monkranos
01-20-2016, 02:03 PM
Eventually, I'll probably have one of each race, but I think that's going to be a long way off.

Aebrams
01-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Cleric for sure... race still up in the air, but I lean towards Vennen.

WolfCrypt
01-20-2016, 02:06 PM
I prefer spellcasters and Mage will suit me juuust fine

Monkranos
01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
that's a good point actually, lifegain stall with vennen deck hate could be a very nice combination, for the player anyway.

RCDv57
01-20-2016, 03:04 PM
The very first thing I'm going to do is read through every single Class/Race combo.
But I'll most likely end up playing a necrotic mage or cleric.

I do hope we get more character slots when the Rouge/Ranger/Warlock Patch hits.

yoyogod
01-20-2016, 03:22 PM
Necrotic is my favorite race, and I have a decent Necrotic Cleric deck in arena (that will need some rejiggering to work in campaign), so that will probably be what I start with, though I will also want to try Necrotic Warlock when it's available.

I'll also try Shin'hare warrior, because they're samurais and samurais are cool.

If we get the Kickstarter exclusive PVE cards, I'll probably go Elf Mage because I've been wanting to try out Prospero, but I really need to see the Mage talent tree before I make any decisions there.

Halsey
01-20-2016, 11:05 PM
I almost always run a pet class in MMos, so was planing to start with a Ranger, guessing one of them, maybe human, would get some sort of focus on the 'pet' category of cards, possibly a talent to create 'pets' for the champion. That was the plan, and I'm a bit sad it won't be there to start with.

That said, I'll most likely start with a mage of some race, I'll have to look them all over before choosing the race though. Honestly the reality is in TCGs I prefer a control / more action focused style deck to aggro and creature based builds. Based on that I'm fairly certain I can find a mage or maybe even a cleric race combination that feels right and gives me some fun options for my first champion.

McCloud68
01-20-2016, 11:48 PM
In MMO's i have always preferred a support class over a Tank per se. I tend to prefer being a Healer, but I guess Cleric will have to do for now. Vennen Cleric sounds even more interesting than the old dwarf cleric combo. Though this being Hex and not anything else around like it, even a dwarf cleric is likely to be fun.

GoryWriter
01-21-2016, 12:22 AM
I was really hoping to be able to play a Necrotic rogue at the start, but since that doesn't seem to be an available option as of yet I'll probably play through with a Necrotic mage first, then a Shin'Hare warrior, and lastly a Vennen cleric. That should hold me over until the race/class combinations I've been looking forward to are released.

Spiredore
01-21-2016, 12:39 AM
I've been ready to go with an Orc warrior since the first talent tree reveal, so I'll be keen to put that into practice at last.

I've been thinking since the recent Cleric reveal that they're just the thing you need for a nice thematic angel/Holy Ascension deck, but I'll probably have to come up with something else for the early levels. And a mage might suit my Elemental/Storm Royaly deck. Maybe a Coyotle for that one?

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 12:40 AM
I've been ready to go with an Orc warrior since the first talent tree reveal, so I'll be keen to put that into practice at last.

I've been thinking since the recent Cleric reveal that they're just the thing you need for a nice thematic angel/Holy Ascension deck, but I'll probably have to come up with something else for the early levels. And a mage might suit my Elemental/Storm Royaly deck. Maybe a Coyotle for that one?

If coyotle's combo for mage not elemental oriented I'm gonna be pissed

Frost3
01-21-2016, 01:01 AM
One thing that we may not have considered from what I've read so far, is the idea of lore through different lens. I am hoping that each class race combo isn't just mechanically different but thematically different as well. My first character will be an elven warrior. Its just kind of my thing. But when I go back and play an elven cleric, I want to learn about how vastly different they are. My warrior may give me insight into their culture, but i want the cleric to dig deep into their ethos and tell me all about their ways.

If this is done, then replayability won't just be deck building, and talent builds. It will be seeing the world through a different set of eyes. Bare minimum playing a character from each race could be very enlightening to each culture, but what if each class effects that perspective. If that holds true, one of each class/race combination will be desirable giving us the potential for twenty four play throughs before we are left to grind cards/gear/gold waiting for chapter two.

=)

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 01:07 AM
One thing that we may not have considered from what I've read so far, is the idea of lore through different lens. I am hoping that each class race combo isn't just mechanically different but thematically different as well. My first character will be an elven warrior. Its just kind of my thing. But when I go back and play an elven cleric, I want to learn about how vastly different they are. My warrior may give me insight into their culture, but i want the cleric to dig deep into their ethos and tell me all about their ways.

If this is done, then replayability won't just be deck building, and talent builds. It will be seeing the world through a different set of eyes. Bare minimum playing a character from each race could be very enlightening to each culture, but what if each class effects that perspective. If that holds true, one of each class/race combination will be desirable giving us the potential for twenty four play throughs before we are left to grind cards/gear/gold waiting for chapter two.

=)

It be nice but it seems as if only combos actually flavor the class/races it be hard to msake 26 talent trees unique but it be nice!

BenStoll
01-21-2016, 01:19 AM
I am really excited to see everyone's reactions to the race-class combo traits :)

One thing that we may not have considered from what I've read so far, is the idea of lore through different lens. I am hoping that each class race combo isn't just mechanically different but thematically different as well.

I believe that the race-class combo traits are actually some of the coolest, most specific spots for racial flavor delivery we've offered yet. I worked very carefully with Mike (lore guy) and read through all the info in the Lore Wiki (which of course is chock full of stuff that we haven't really gone into yet) and tried to make sure that the race-class combo stuff really sells what's supposed to be unique about the combination--it's always been core to Hex's lore that each race manifests certain aspects of a class in different ways, so it's actually a real opportunity for thematic definition. For example, some players might not have realized that Elf Clerics even take on a different physical appearance than the other classes of Elf, but with a big beautiful player-character portrait and a matching race-class combo talent, some of what that's all about can begin to come through more!

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 01:20 AM
I am really excited to see everyone's reactions to the race-class combo traits :)

I believe that the race-class combo traits are actually some of the coolest, most specific spots for racial flavor delivery we've offered yet. I worked very carefully with Mike (lore guy) and read through all the info in the Lore Wiki (which of course is chock full of stuff that we haven't really gone into yet) and tried to make sure that the race-class combo stuff really sells what's supposed to be unique about the combination--it's always been core to Hex's lore that each race manifests certain aspects of a class in different ways, so it's actually a real opportunity for thematic definition. For example, some players might not have realized that Elf Clerics even take on a different physical appearance than the other classes of Elf, but with a big beautiful player-character portrait and a matching race-class combo talent, some of what that's all about can begin to come through more!

They are shown as having animal aspects to them.

Zophie
01-21-2016, 01:25 AM

^ Thanks Ben, this reply is worth 985B :o

Can't wait to see all the different portaits!

kingzzk
01-21-2016, 01:42 AM
Really hope that we can get a look at the talent details before the launch. I would hate to "waste" the time reading and spending 5 hours to decide which race/class combi when I could be playing the campaign itself.

In fact, this info should have been released weeks ago. It would have sated the crowd and gave us something to chew on while waiting.

wolzarg
01-21-2016, 03:57 AM

They all have horns how in hex did everyone miss that!

Erukk
01-21-2016, 04:08 AM
I'll probably wait for the full reveal before I make any final decisions, but as of now (and including the classes hopefully added in the future)...

Argent
Human: Warlock
Orc: Warrior
Elf: Cleric
Coyotle: Mage

Underworld
Necrotic: Mage
Dwarf: Ranger (hopefully with robot pet)
Vennen: Cleric
Shin'hare: Rogue (Bunny ninjas FTW!)

They all have horns how in hex did everyone miss that!

Actually, someone did notice back in August. NoahBuddy was wondering the difference between elves and satyrs, Frost3 nailed it with his theory of elves clerics slowly mutating/transforming from their connection with Wild magic, and Loregoyle confirmed it shortly afterwords. Then, sadly, I took the thread on a bit of a tangent with my thoughts of whether or not Hexxing gems effect people's bodies like Wild and Blood magic do.

what's up with Elves & Satyrs (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=45220)

Cainhu
01-21-2016, 04:35 AM
I think my first character will be a shin'hare, but I will choose his class based on the racial traits.

My first ardent hero will be a cleric... but I can't decide between coyotle and human yet.

DocX
01-21-2016, 07:29 AM

I'm a huge fan of delivering story through game mechanics over delivering it solely through exposition. Very much looking forward to seeing how this is implemented in Hex.

PVE Hype!

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 10:48 AM
The mutation of cleric elves is fairly obvious I noticed it myself