PDA

View Full Version : That one time when everyone helped reveal a new PVE Spoiler -- PVE Spoiler

hacky
01-20-2016, 02:07 PM
In case you missed it: you all revealed this last night on my livestream! (thanks to Phenteo for the surprise!)

http://i.imgur.com/e1VMYo3.png

WolfCrypt
01-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Nice card

RCDv57
01-20-2016, 02:51 PM
From all the cards we've seen there are a whole lot more Manly men fan service cards over lady ones...
Then yesterday the very first card Cory wants to show PCgamer is the cockmetwice...
And now everyone is forming ranks and talking about 10KB...

I think I might be able to get my Mom to actually play this game when campaign launches.

Saeijou
01-20-2016, 03:26 PM
From all the cards we've seen there are a whole lot more Manly men fan service cards over lady ones...
Then yesterday the very first card Cory wants to show PCgamer is the cockmetwice...

I think I might be able to get my Mom to actually play this game when campaign launches.

i don't know what you are talking about :-O

sukebe
01-20-2016, 03:31 PM

It does seem that Hex has an unusually large amount of scantily clad males. While it is not my cup of tea I am still glad it is there as too many fantasy games have a lot of artwork aimed at attracting males and very little for the female fans. it only seems fair to have both represented in the game :-)

AswanJaguar
01-20-2016, 03:58 PM

Your mom's big into the cockatwice scene, is she?

(You can't leave that hanging out there and not expect this or worse. ;) )

Flairina
01-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Still not entirely pleased with the fact that some of us think fanservice is necessary at all (I mean come on, who plays tcgs for the fanservice???), I am at least happy that it's at least semi-equal opportunity, which makes it a lot easier to ignore or just accept as part of the world (trust me, you wouldn't hear me commenting on it in a manner other than lore wise if all the necrotic MEN wore ridiculous armor too).

sukebe
01-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Still not entirely pleased with the fact that some of us think fanservice is necessary at all (I mean come on, who plays tcgs for the fanservice???), I am at least happy that it's at least semi-equal opportunity, which makes it a lot easier to ignore or just accept as part of the world (trust me, you wouldn't hear me commenting on it in a manner other than lore wise if all the necrotic MEN wore ridiculous armor too).

Fan service, almost by definition, is never necessary. many people enjoy it though so there is no reason not to include it as long as it does not become too extreme (not that really exists for me but others are considerably more prudish :-) ) or too imbalanced when it comes to the sexes it harms no one but still makes some people happy (I am talking about emotionally here but add any other means you wish :-) )

Zophie
01-20-2016, 08:31 PM
+1kb for fanservice, bring it on

Flairina
01-20-2016, 09:49 PM
My point of contention is generally less "this is debasing" and more "you want me to get wrapped up in this world but all I can think of when I see this is how you're trying to SELL it to me (or at least someone) using the basest of instincts". Fanservice when it isn't explained in-story, and especially when it works contrary to the fanservice race/character/etc's goals, ruins immersion, is what I'm saying. Sure, it's a fantasy world, but things still need to make practical sense IN said world. Things still need to have an explanation behind them.

This is why I'm always trying to get an answer on why it is the female necrotic wear what they do. If the developers can explain it, even if it's a flimsy excuse, at least it's something. Because right now the only reason I know is "we thought hotness would appeal to people", and it just makes me GROAN. So sure, throw me fanservice, throw an entire game of nothing BUT fanservice at me in fact. But if you expect me to play it and take it seriously, to actually CARE about it, you better give some damn good reasons everyone's running around half-to-fully naked. That's really all I'm asking. :)

wolzarg
01-20-2016, 10:15 PM
I'm sure i am wrong as i don't really look for it and it is more obvious with the males since they tend to be completely bare chested at the least. But ut it seems the fan service cards are all male, are there any female cards that seem very fan servicey?

My point of contention is generally less "this is debasing" and more "you want me to get wrapped up in this world but all I can think of when I see this is how you're trying to SELL it to me (or at least someone) using the basest of instincts". Fanservice when it isn't explained in-story, and especially when it works contrary to the fanservice race/character/etc's goals, ruins immersion, is what I'm saying. Sure, it's a fantasy world, but things still need to make practical sense IN said world. Things still need to have an explanation behind them.

I think we agree for example would you say mancubus makes enough sense as to not be wrong while for example this really does not?

Flairina
01-20-2016, 11:41 PM
I'm sure i am wrong as i don't really look for it and it is more obvious with the males since they tend to be completely bare chested at the least. But it seems the fan service cards are all male, are there any female cards that seem very fan servicey?

I think we agree for example would you say mancubus makes enough sense as to not be wrong while for example this really does not?

Manucubus makes about as much sense as a card called "mancubus" is going too. I wouldn't protest if they made a succubus card either (probably naming it "femancubus" just for the humor), because that makes sense, them being explicitly sex demons meant to be attractive in general (at least in popular culture nowadays; succubi and incubi aren't exactly something you'd WANT to do it with in their original incarnations...). The difference here is that mancubus is meant to be funny. If it's acting as fanservice, it's as a bonus, or incidentally, not as the main purpose of the card. All you have to do to realize this is to look at the freaking name. "Manservice" in general differs significantly from your standard improbably-hot female fanservice, honestly. Improbably muscled men does not always equal manservice, sometimes that's just nauseating for how over the top it is. Women don't want that, or at least a majority of women do not want that, no matter what you may have read.

I really don't know what you're talking about with the "most fanservice cards are male" thing. In the example I was talking about with the female necrotic- windborne acolyte (AA), windborne disciple, deadeye slicer, lixil the deathless gem, eye of lixil, myrym (empress of the crypt), mentor of the grave; you get the idea, there's a lot. My problem is that this theme is absolutely inexplicable. I'm not saying ALL the female necrotic are fanservice cards, but that in fact just makes it MORE confusing because there's no consistency, yet it clearly is a widespread thing. If you're protesting they aren't fanservice cards because they're more clothed than the "male" examples, you've missed the point. Fanservice is not defined by skimpiness of clothing, it just tends to go hand in hand with it. Fanservice is how obviously and explicitly they are clothed, framed, and posed to act as beat-off fodder. THAT is what makes them fanservice cards. You'll notice the manservice cards tend not to suffer this, hence why I noted above that there's a difference.

Look at this, I'm writing an essay on fanservice in Hex cards at 1:40 in the morning, on a pve spoiler card board that had nothing to do with that. Ridiculous. Let's drop this here. ^^;

sukebe
01-21-2016, 12:40 AM

This is why I'm always trying to get an answer on why it is the female necrotic wear what they do. If the developers can explain it, even if it's a flimsy excuse, at least it's something. Because right now the only reason I know is "we thought hotness would appeal to people", and it just makes me GROAN. So sure, throw me fanservice, throw an entire game of nothing BUT fanservice at me in fact. But if you expect me to play it and take it seriously, to actually CARE about it, you better give some damn good reasons everyone's running around half-to-fully naked. That's really all I'm asking. :)

I have 2 guesses on why the necrotic wear what they do:

1: they simply don't care whether their bodies are seen as it is not as if it is actually theirs to begin with and tight skimpy clothing would be easier to move around in if you are not made uncomfortable while wearing it. (do we know if they feel pain or discomfort like the living do?)

2: they enjoy having bodies and like to show them off like people do with their fancy new cars. Pretty much the opposite of the first guess :-)

just guesses of course but either one makes necrotic fanservice totally logical.

Erukk
01-21-2016, 01:21 AM
1: they simply don't care whether their bodies are seen as it is not as if it is actually theirs to begin with and tight skimpy clothing would be easier to move around in if you are not made uncomfortable while wearing it. (do we know if they feel pain or discomfort like the living do?)

That's where most of my thoughts lead to on the matter as well.

Firstly, the Necrotic are a totally alien race. They may personally pick up some quirks from whatever is left from their human shells, but they in no way subscribe to human (or any other races') morality. Plus, since they're a collective race, there wouldn't be any Necrotic perving on one another since they're all basically extensions of the Necrotic overmind/collective/whatever.

And secondly, since they're inhabiting dead, they don't have to deal with temperature like the living do. Living creatures have to try and keep their body temperature stable to maintain its functionality, but since that function is provided by the Necrotics' gem, they're free to wear (or not wear) anything they would like regardless. The only time they might have to worry about such a thing is when the temperature goes into the extremes, and their body might suffer muscular damage from either freezing or burning.

I'm not sure if they do feel pain or not. We'd probably have to summon Loregoyle to get a definite answer. (Unless of course it's hidden away on one of the cards or lore articles already.) But if they did, I'd imagine it's only maybe a dull echo of what it would actually feel like since the body's nervous system might have deteriorated to a degree (or totally) by the point of their "Awakening".

I wouldn't be all that surprised if we found out that the Necrotic only really wear heavy armor either as a personal choice or if they're fighting on the frontlines. Because whether or not they actually feel it, a lobbed off arm is still a lobbed off arm...

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/flesh-wound.gif

RCDv57
01-21-2016, 05:58 AM
Look at this, I'm writing an essay on fanservice in Hex cards at 1:40 in the morning, on a pve spoiler card board that had nothing to do with that. Ridiculous. Let's drop this here. ^^;

What have I done.

Flairina
01-21-2016, 07:01 AM
I have 2 guesses on why the necrotic wear what they do:

2: they enjoy having bodies and like to show them off like people do with their fancy new cars. Pretty much the opposite of the first guess :-)

just guesses of course but either one makes necrotic fanservice totally logical.

I've seen these theories posed before. The first would make sense to some extent, but in that case it makes less sense to not just go completely naked, since their clothes aren't meant for protection, and they aren't exactly going to feel embarrassed about it. Not to mention some of the clothes of the cards I listed are actually pretty restrictive; lixil and mentor are both wearing corsets, there is no WAY those don't restrict movement. So that's out.

Theory two makes slightly more sense, but that implies there's an inherent difference between men and women's bodies for necrotic, the former being solely practical and the latter being able to forsake some functionality for the sake of showing off. I'll be impressed if that's how they actually end up explaining it, with female necrotic being considered as having "better" bodies and essentially bragging to all the other necrotic whenever they enter a room, as it's not a wholly bad explanation. However, it is bogged down by the implication that necrotic have roughly the same standards humans do when it comes to attractiveness, which seems odd given that they don't reproduce in a way that would need to make use of it in any way. They learned things from humanity, but that seems like an especially odd thing to take away, especially if they didn't also take away a version of that for men. Regardless, Hex has yet to actually address the question, so I can't accept it beyond keeping it in the back of my mind, or it's just trying to delude/convince myself. A nice thought though. :P