PDA

View Full Version : World Events in an MMOTCG

Zophie
01-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Hi guys, Zophie here! In another thread we were discussing the possibility for "world bosses" that are boss encounters that happen sporadically in the overworld portion of the campaign map, outside of actual dungeons, and it got me thinking, what other unique types of events could we see that would also really help make Hex's PVE feel like an MMO, and not just a single player experience (short of Raids)?

Timed Quasi-Asynchronous World Events

So here's my pitch: Every so often a World Event will start up and last for a certain period of time, say 1-2 hours. There will be a place in the UI to show what the active event is and how long you have to participate, and it might also preview what the next 1-2 events will be after this concludes. During that time players must work together to help complete the objectives of the event.

For example, a horde of zombie shin'hare have appeared and we are tasked with killing like 1000 of them. Each player can then take their character to the location of the event, and start an encounter that has you fighting some zombie shin'hare boss thing, and every shin'hare you kill in the encounter counts towards the overall goal, and they can repeat the encounter as many times as they want during the event. The fight itself is single player, but each player is working towards the common goal together. Once the goal is reached then the event is successful and everyone that participated gets a reward, and a bonus based on their contributions toward the event goals, and they could also show a leaderboard broadcasting which players contributed the most to the event.

The events could also be tiered, like perhaps one event could start by simply killing tons of robots for scrap metal, but then once the players have farmed enough scrap metal they are all given access to a special encounter where they are given an OP Slaughtergear/JankBot deck and asked to fight another big boss monster with it as a second tier to the event. We could take this a step further and add a massive "shared" health pool to the boss, say 1000 hitpoints, which is shared and updated live between everyone's individual games they're playing against the boss. The boss cannot be milled, and he will kill or mill you eventually, but the goal is to do as much damage to it as possible within the remaining time of the event, and eventually have the players kill it for a big reward. Again all players will be rewarded based on their contributions, and a leaderboard can be displayed to show off who rekt the most bots.

Another point to consider, the objective totals could also be dynamically set based on players success. For example, maybe a certain event is failed several times because the players can't quite satisfy the event goals, in those situations maybe the goals are lowered slightly next time it occurs, or maybe it's raised higher if players are particularly quick at clearing the goals every time. HXE of course will have plenty of data regarding which ones players like to participate in more than others, and balance and tweak accordingly as well.

The ultimate goal here is to give players varied and unified goals that they can contribute towards on an individual level but still feel like they're part of something much bigger as a community. The focus would be on working together as a team and really leverage the "MMO" part of Hex.

So, those are my ideas, now I wanna hear yours: What kinds of unique world events can you think of that are not only fun on an individual level but also have shared goals that everyone can work towards? What kinds of objectives/time limits do you think would be work and still be fun? What kinds of rewards would you like to see for events like these? Share your thoughts below!

TLDR: http://i.imgur.com/q5Ws2aV.gif

Xenavire
01-20-2016, 05:31 PM
I got through the first part, loved it, came to post a +1.

Armies
01-20-2016, 05:37 PM
all I could think of while reading this post was "kill me again please"

RCDv57
01-20-2016, 05:38 PM
What if one of those events was a VS one?
Like for instance the Underworld incursion v2.0

Its this huge crazy insane battle. Everybody is there.
And there is a battle tracker of how many Ardent and Underworld games have been won.
And it lasts like a week or something. Or it could be a race to see which side gets X number of victories first.

Then William Rowan dies to zombie Gozzog at the end.
It'll be great, trust me.

Xenavire
01-20-2016, 05:39 PM

And there is a battle tracker of how many Ardent and Underworld games have been won.
And it lasts like a week or something. Or it could be a race to see which side gets X number of victories first.

Pseudo PvP... In PvE? Thats actually a neat idea.

Zophie
01-20-2016, 05:47 PM

I like the idea of longer events too, and not necessarily timed ones, maybe we'll even see events along the lines of The Gates of Ahn'Qiraj event in WoW. Everyone farms a special currency that drops from encounters in a certain region of the world, they then use that currency to buy some special rewards, and once enough of the currency is spent it unlocks a special dungeon/raid for all players to enjoy.

sukebe
01-20-2016, 06:02 PM
+1 to this. I love these sorts of events in other games. We may only have single player games right now but that does not mean we cannot work together in epic events like this :-)

Also:

I also really love this as well. I would also love it if things like this actually affected the lore of Hex going forward even if I was rooting for the side that loses :-) Obviously neither side will every completely win over the other but some sort of story effect would be welcomed. I love it when player actions have an effect on a games story :-)

Selanius
01-20-2016, 06:03 PM
I like most of this suggestion, except for small windows for things being done. The advantage of having a global online MMOTCG is that you don't need to shoehorn everyone into the same time slot, tournaments do that already no reason that the PvE content needs to artificially include it as well.

sukebe
01-20-2016, 06:06 PM
I like most of this suggestion, except for small windows for things being done. The advantage of having a global online MMOTCG is that you don't need to shoehorn everyone into the same time slot, tournaments do that already no reason that the PvE content needs to artificially include it as well.

if they have small windows then they would likely happen multiple times. either at set times each day or with a rotation of little mini events. If you miss it happening then you can get it next time it happens.

I have played many games that did things similar to this and I loved it. they always had them happen at times that were varied enough that people on both sides of the world had a reasonable time to enjoy playing it. Some events would happen on certain days and times and other events would be fairly random on when or where they occurred but always in such a way anyone can enjoy them at least once a day.

thegreybetween
01-20-2016, 06:15 PM

Agreed. Awesome suggestions, but I agree that PvE isn't the place to get too happy with arbitrary short time gates. I understand that these activities need a finite duration to work as suggested, I would just stress that 1-2 hours for an event on a global scale is too reminiscent of the PvP wait queues - especially given that many players may be stuck in those very tournaments when a given event spawned, leading to lower participation potential, more segregation, and ultimately salt. Not to mention the fact that HEX matches tend to take longer due to their very nature than an action-MMO event, and thus such events need a duration to reflect that.

Events that last 1-2 days (or better, weeks) are much more realistic in terms of blending global participation with "exciting event" hype.

facade
01-20-2016, 06:34 PM
I think it would also be pretty cool if the event had different goals than just kill X of a particular monster.

For example, imagine an Orc Arena world event. Kill the opponent in a particular "flashy" fashion in less than 15 turns (cause you know, it's an arena and the spectators get bored if you go any longer) that allows players to compete to see who can do it the best.

For example:
• Deal the most overkill damage (make the opponent with the largest negative value).
• Mill their deck and end the game with the most spiders in play.
• End the game with the most creatures with >20 power
• End the game with the most thresholds or resources.
and so on... really, just pick any crazy game achievement beyond just winning, track that data, and give us a leader board.

Xenavire
01-20-2016, 06:52 PM
For everyone worried about the timed stuff, the idea is basically to always have 2-3 of these active at a given time, and they would basically be on for a few hours, then off for a few, so that there is variety in what is available - no person would be excluded, and there would always be something to do.

Zophie
01-20-2016, 07:52 PM
For everyone worried about the timed stuff, the idea is basically to always have 2-3 of these active at a given time, and they would basically be on for a few hours, then off for a few, so that there is variety in what is available - no person would be excluded, and there would always be something to do.

Yeah, and I like the idea of having longer events running concurrent to those that last anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. Those could have a little larger rewards and maybe temporary or even permanent effects on the world or story like people have suggested. In RCD's Ardent Vs Underworld example above the winning faction could get a temporary passive buff for the next week while the next event is being played.

RCDv57
01-20-2016, 08:02 PM

All these ideas really remind me of the Adventure Quest wars. From 10 years ago.
In these Wars the community would band together to collectively win 100,000 ~ 1,000,000 fights in the war.
EX: "Oh no VAMPIRES are attacking the CAPITOL, lets kill 'em all." These would last anywhere around from a week to a month.
What it seems like you are thinking about is similar to a daily tournament type event, but I'm wanting something bigger. Something closer to how the Halloween and Night of the Bells Arena events worked.
In an event like that time limits isn't really an issue.

Another thing to note is that during AQ wars there would be a special shop that would sell special weapons and armor themed around the war. Easy to do something similar to that here with PvE cards.

Sometimes they would also have Special "Vampire vs Werewolfs" or "Pirate vs Ninja" wars where you could choose to fight for one side or the other. This is where I stole my idea from.

EDIT:

Yeah, and I like the idea of having longer events running concurrent to those that last anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. Those could have a little larger rewards and maybe temporary or even permanent effects on the world or story like people have suggested. In RCD's Ardent Vs Underworld example above the winning faction could get a temporary passive buff for the next week while the next event is being played.

I'm all for passive buffs, as long as it doesn't affect gameplay.
Maybe something like extra EXP or Gold, instead of +1 to starting hands.

YourOpponent
01-20-2016, 08:31 PM
In a different TCG I played players could summon bosses. These bosses would only be around for a time period say 12-72 hours depending on difficulty, health, and so forth with different "reward loot tables" depending on how well you done and participated in the "event". The server wide world event idea though sounds better instead of trying to invite friends and random strangers to help you kill an epic boss.

I do think though that world events could be doable, but for it to be individually like you're suggesting would likely mean a programming headache...but a boss world event with lesser bosses being fought at the same time could make this kind of thing extremely interesting. Especially if the main boss is getting buffs from each lesser boss in play!

ShloobeR
01-20-2016, 09:39 PM
I think the introduction of the world map opens up a metric ton of new possibilities and directions for HXE to take the PvE experience, I'm really excited for what they have planned for it and I'm pretty sure they will have a lot of ideas on the whiteboard for where to go with it (instead of just limiting it to 'click here --> Encounter')

wolzarg
01-20-2016, 10:05 PM
-SNIPPED VERY LONG VERY COOL POST -
TLDR: http://i.imgur.com/q5Ws2aV.gif
I like the overall idea but i dislike the short time somewhat i would rather have them be more rare and over say a weekend. I also feel that bigger rewards for more work done is not something i would like to see in my experience from other games this just punishes players with less/worse cards heavily while rewarding better cards. I would much rather have either a player specific quota(say 50 zombie bunnies dead or 5 voided for example) to reach for a bonus or that everyone can only do the fight once.

NOBLEReverter
01-21-2016, 12:23 AM
Personally, I'd like to see a boss encounter that pulls another player into the match as your opponent. (E.G. someone else that is currently in that dungeon as well).

I always liked those sorts of events / tricks. =]

sukebe
01-21-2016, 12:46 AM
I like the overall idea but i dislike the short time somewhat i would rather have them be more rare and over say a weekend. I also feel that bigger rewards for more work done is not something i would like to see in my experience from other games this just punishes players with less/worse cards heavily while rewarding better cards. I would much rather have either a player specific quota(say 50 zombie bunnies dead or 5 voided for example) to reach for a bonus or that everyone can only do the fight once.

I don't like this use of the word "punish". You are not punished if someone gets more reward than you...I will never understand this concept. And again, having small events like this would not preclude having longer events as well. This is not a "one or the other" situation.

Personally, I'd like to see a boss encounter that pulls another player into the match as your opponent. (E.G. someone else that is currently in that dungeon as well).

Lol, that would be tricky :-) might make a good prelude to the system that allows players to run their own dungeons that was discussed long ago.

wolzarg
01-21-2016, 01:00 AM
I don't like this use of the word "punish". You are not punished if someone gets more reward than you...I will never understand this concept. And again, having small events like this would not preclude having longer events as well. This is not a "one or the other" situation.
Fine we change the wording but the sentiment stays the same i dislike a setup where one side can be rewarded more for playing one game that takes 5 minutes than another player can for 20 games that each take 10 minutes each simply because they have more/stronger cards. The word punished is completely removed but my point stays the same.

Zophie
01-21-2016, 01:03 AM
I'm all for passive buffs, as long as it doesn't affect gameplay. Maybe something like extra EXP or Gold, instead of +1 to starting hands.

Sure, or maybe a free mulligan once per dungeon? ;)

I do think though that world events could be doable, but for it to be individually like you're suggesting would likely mean a programming headache...but a boss world event with lesser bosses being fought at the same time could make this kind of thing extremely interesting. Especially if the main boss is getting buffs from each lesser boss in play!

Yeah I think there's lots of clever ways they could pull off everyone just running single player encounters that basically track certain conditions and add however many points to a global point total at the end of the encounter. There could be a running leaderboard that you can check while the event is running and see where everyone stands and see the overall progress the server is making on the event.

I think the introduction of the world map opens up a metric ton of new possibilities and directions for HXE to take the PvE experience, I'm really excited for what they have planned for it and I'm pretty sure they will have a lot of ideas on the whiteboard for where to go with it (instead of just limiting it to 'click here --> Encounter')

So true, and i really hope they find creative ways to encourage player interactivity throughout the experience, both on the overworld maps and also leveraging the virtual spaces that cities provide. For example I really hope at some point we get taverns and other types of social places where you can hang out, chat with people (local chat ftw), maybe challenge them to a PVE duel, or just share decklists/talent tips and make a trade, oh also we need to be able to buy booze with gold.

I like the overall idea but i dislike the short time somewhat i would rather have them be more rare and over say a weekend.

Yeah I agree, though I think it'd be nice to have both types of events. There could be a more regular stream of varied content that rotates every hour or so, and then there would also be bigger events running at the same time and last longer, like faction wars, story beats, holiday events, etc, each one lasting anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks.

I also feel that bigger rewards for more work done is not something i would like to see in my experience from other games this just punishes players with less/worse cards heavily while rewarding better cards. I would much rather have either a player specific quota(say 50 zombie bunnies dead or 5 voided for example) to reach for a bonus or that everyone can only do the fight once.

This is a good point you brought up and I absolutely agree there should be at minimum a soft cap on rewards that most players can achieve with a reasonable amount of effort. We don't want to disincentivize people from continuing to participate beyond the cap though, so we should at least provide additional gold rewards based on participation above the soft cap, at a rate similar to what they'd earn putting their time into any other dungeon.

http://i.imgur.com/YOfFGFx.gif
^ Chark knows teamwork

RCDv57
01-21-2016, 01:10 AM

You mean ala Demon souls "Old monk" style?
I spent a lot of time wrecking countless amounts of noobs that way.
Didn't even matter if they brought in their friends, killed 'em all.

Zophie
01-21-2016, 02:00 AM

What if there was an event that had players challenge a crazy mage guy, and when you beat him he makes a doppleganger of your character and deck, and then you have to fight an AI-controlled version of a random other player's doppleganger and their deck that also beat him (or you just fight your own doppleganger if none available). If you beat that you find out that he made a bunch more dopplegangers and you can keep fighting more of them until the players have beaten X amount to complete the event or the timer runs out.

wolzarg
01-21-2016, 03:48 AM
When entering the chaos key raid you should have to beat both your friends decks before you get to the real boss fight :P

bootlace
01-21-2016, 04:26 AM
This is an area I'm also very passionate about but to be realistic it's probably not something we'll see for a while in PvE until all the core PvE elements have been added to the game and made super tight. That's never stopped any of us from theorycrafting so here are my thoughts:

-Long Term Milestones & Player Rankings

Since PvE will predominantly be a single player experience where we will mostly be going about handling our business in an individual matter, it's important to have systems in place to serve as a way to measure how you're performing compared to others in the game. This is especially helpful in establishing who the really good and dedicated PvE players are. Just like how the publicly released gauntlet/IQ/tournament decklists/results are establishing who the good PvP players are, we need something similar that's keeping track and highlighting who the PvE stars are in the game.

The most obvious way for this to be represented in the game is in the form of leaderboards. Maybe they are dungeon specific leaderboards or maybe encounter specific, but it could highlight things like who did the most damage ever in that dungeon, who completed it in the fewest overall turns, or perhaps it's something like who has completed it the most times consecutively without dieing. It's hard for me to say what will be the metrics worth tracking and comparing at this time without having seen the game.

Regardless, these long term persistent leaderboards are an excellent way to increase engagement amongst the community, serve as some achievements worth chasing, increase excitement/replayability for the really hardcore PvE folks, and just a neat way to see how you stack up with others whether it be against your friends, guild mates, or the entire server (every mobile game now is employing this, and it's probably one of the best things about them). If we ever get something like rifts in Diablo, where the difficulty of dungeons can be scaled up to infinity (and gameplay doesn't suffer too much) then we're really looking at a really fascinating dynamic in PvE where min-maxing and the super dedicated PvE players have something to compete in. This is essentially what has kept D3 an 'interesting' game for competitive folks (along with Seasons) recently despite having no PvP component and hardly any interactive elements.

-Interactive Events

I would also love it for events to be popping up around the map, making it so that each time you log-on you're checking the different chat channels, checking-in with your guildmates, and generally engaged to see what exciting stuff is going on in the world of Entrath.

I want to be encouraged to travel to different parts of the globe and relive some of those old nostalgic dungeons that have been left in the dust of newer content (obviously this is in the distant future).

For them to be interactive in nature and encourage the community to band together, I think the Ahn'Qiraj war efforts in WoW is a good model to draw upon. Imagine a counter at the top that asks the playerbase to compete a specific list of objectives. "Perform 5 Perfect Frost Ring Arena Runs", "Deal 1000 Damage to The Triumvate in Fort Romor", "Defeat The Kraken with the Kraken card doing the finishing blow", etc... You would have players and guilds co-operating amongst themselves to try to complete this the quickest way possible. Perhaps there's a guy known in the community for having a legendary Sliver of the Immortal Spear deck - send him to F up The Triumvate, and ask the guild leader to wake him up if he has to, because there's 4 hours left and it's one of the objectives that have yet to be filled. Then maybe Guild X takes the responsibility of doing the perfect Arena runs because they've got guys that have decklists already have it on clear status. Imagine all the interaction and triumph in general chat and other places as the community bands together to solve this unique puzzle, TOGETHER. Strategies will be shared, items will be traded, and hugs will be given all around.

That's just one form of interactive events, but the cool thing is that the unique nature of TCGs and how you have billions of different ways you can build a deck and all the possible restrictions, specific goals, champion powers etc allows you to 'easily' give the players very distinct puzzles to solve every day.

-MMO Nodes

This idea is a bit more ambitious but what if when you were in a node for a few seconds it would show you how many players were on that exact same node as you. What if you could even see their names. Perhaps you're stuck on that node and see some guys on it as well, then that seems like a good opportunity to strike up a conversation and ask them what strategies they've tried and maybe let each other know if they figure out a good trick to get past it or start a trade because you have stuff each other is missing and that'll help you both get over the hump. How many times in MMOs would you come across a stranger and help each other out randomly and that would lead to a beautiful new in-game friendship - that's a core part of MMOs.

This idea could be taken further and if you have your PvP flag enabled, then you could initiate a battle with a player from the opposing faction (who also has their PvP flag enabled). This starts a duel (one game match) with local terrain effects and any other past buffs/defbuffs active where the winner gets all of the loot the other player has earned over the past x minutes.

Once you have enabled your PvP flag and dueled with someone, your PvP flag would stay active for a fixed amount of time (or node travels) so you couldn't just take someones spoils and run off never to be seen again. Then that player who lost to you logs on with his main, travels to your node and starts hunting for you for revenge. I mean you could have whole guild battles over the spread of several node points if you wanted to! It would be hella fun hanging around in some end game area and hunting players over and over again stealing their loot. Of course no player would ever have to engage (yes PvE carebears need to be a thing ;) ) but the lure of some famous pirate hunter who has just stolen one of your friends' legendaries might be too high of a temptation, and perhaps you've checked his steam and noticed that he's all out of potions, Spectral Acorns, and some of his cards are even 'damaged' from a particularly brutal encounter he just came out from. Heck you could even extend this into 3v3 raid vs raid loot battles (you can travel the nodes as a gang of three so anyone challenging you would be forced to do it as a group of 3 as well), but I might be getting ahead of myself a bit :)

Anyways those are just a few ideas I have, will stop here for now before it gets too TLDR.

Xavon
01-21-2016, 08:19 AM
say 1000 hitpoints,

One quick comment; it would have to be more than 1000 HP, I have seen and played decks that routinely get an arena boss down into the negative hundreds. Heck, an immortal spear deck can do 5K damage if it gets a shot off.

Zophie
01-21-2016, 09:46 AM
One quick comment; it would have to be more than 1000 HP, I have seen and played decks that routinely get an arena boss down into the negative hundreds. Heck, an immortal spear deck can do 5K damage if it gets a shot off.

Sure that's fair, I was just throwing numbers around as an example but you're right, a big boss could definitely need a lot more HP, depending on the time limit available and what the other parameters of the encounter are.

Svenn
01-21-2016, 09:59 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/64505682

"The online Ur-Dragon is a "global enemy". The dragon you fight locally while online is a copy of the "Global Ur-Dragon". This means current health may fluctuate between encounters. You might get the dragon with 4.5 bars during your first 8 minutes and 4.7 during your next 8 minutes (assuming this is back to back). This is due to the number crunching taking place on the servers.

The damage you do to the dragon during your 8 minute encounter gets applied towards the global value."

Always loved this in Dragon's Dogma (which I'm playing again on PC now!). Everyone is fighting the dragon individually, but the damage you do gets added to his total health on the servers until, as a group, you down the dragon. All single player, but working towards a common goal, essentially.

This could be applied to all kinds of stuff, more than just bosses.

Zophie
01-21-2016, 10:50 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/64505682

"The online Ur-Dragon is a "global enemy". The dragon you fight locally while online is a copy of the "Global Ur-Dragon". This means current health may fluctuate between encounters. You might get the dragon with 4.5 bars during your first 8 minutes and 4.7 during your next 8 minutes (assuming this is back to back). This is due to the number crunching taking place on the servers.

The damage you do to the dragon during your 8 minute encounter gets applied towards the global value."

Always loved this in Dragon's Dogma (which I'm playing again on PC now!). Everyone is fighting the dragon individually, but the damage you do gets added to his total health on the servers until, as a group, you down the dragon. All single player, but working towards a common goal, essentially.

This could be applied to all kinds of stuff, more than just bosses.

Yeah that would be pretty cool to have a massive health pool that updates live as players pick away at it, I like it!

I was also thinking of how world events can be used to dynamically change the story, similar to Guild Wars 2: Imagine an event involving an army attacking a city, and players enter the fray and face a sergeant and their squadron of troops, and the more damage each player does in their encounter the more the army as a whole takes damage. If the players do enough damage, the city is saved and the day is won, but if the players don't fight back the army within the time limit the event is failed and the city gets conquered. Then, all the encounters in the area change to reflect the new occupying force. Later on, there could be another event that happens where players are tasked with another objective to storm the city and drive the army out, if they win, the city and surrounding encounters go back to "normal"... at least until the next army comes by to conquer them :)

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 10:54 PM
What if these world events results affected the next PVE set?

saffamike
01-22-2016, 12:06 AM
So many great ideas. Excited about the future of PVE. World events are a must.

Showsni
01-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Sure that's fair, I was just throwing numbers around as an example but you're right, a big boss could definitely need a lot more HP, depending on the time limit available and what the other parameters of the encounter are.

It would definitely need some other parameters than just health - I have decks that can easily hit for numbers so large they roll over into the negatives.

Ertzi
01-22-2016, 07:36 AM
I am strongly against events that cycle in a matter of hours. HEX is a TCG first, and I would like to stay away from the ADHD type stuff of "normal" MMOs where players are scurrying around like mad and try to do million things at once. That does not appeal to me at all. World events could be cool, but I would like the minimum time span for them to start at one week. I never want to log in and be overwhelmed by a dozen events that I then have maybe 10 minutes to participate in.

I also see no reason to create measuring sticks in PvE to compare yourself to other players. Why make PvE competitive by force? That's what PvP is for. There are two completely different modes for a reason. I would very much prefer PvE to nurture an environment of co-operation where everyone is working together, not against each other. No ladders there, please.

Svenn
01-22-2016, 07:45 AM
It would definitely need some other parameters than just health - I have decks that can easily hit for numbers so large they roll over into the negatives.

Every time you beat the World Boss it drops his "World Health" by some specific number... doesn't matter how much damage you did. Essentially then it's just "x kills worldwide" to defeat the boss.

Tazelbain
01-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Gaint Loot pinatas are those exploitative shortcuts that MMOs do that Hex may want to avoid.

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Gaint Loot pinatas are those exploitative shortcuts that MMOs do that Hex may want to avoid.

Who says it would be a loot pinata, exploitative, or a shortcut? We haven't suggested anything of the sort.

Hellforge
01-22-2016, 08:37 AM
My name is Hellforge and I approve this original post!