PDA

View Full Version : Latest Brew - Diamond Moon

Shaqattaq
01-20-2016, 07:09 PM
by Wurtil

Initial tournament results of archetypes being played after the health changes have been what the playerbase expected. Champions like Kranok, Benvolio, and especially Tetzot who gained health during the change process became more popular ; Cressida, Urgnock, Zared Venomscorn and other champions who went down in health became less popular. What has been most interesting though, has been watching how existing archetypes take advantage of the change. With Tetzot especially being considered one of the largest winners in the process, many players paying attention to what that meant for deckbuilding were filling their decks with Burns and Vampiric Kiss es to keep Azurefate Sorceress from doing her thing.

https://www.hextcg.com/latest-brew-diamond-moon/

wolzarg
01-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Is there something wrong with the list as far as i can tell you play 3 wild sources in total how do you even justify rootfather with that?

poizonous
01-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Well with winter moon putting shardcalls back into the deck i don't know the exact amount of wild sources

Audens
01-20-2016, 10:33 PM
Is there something wrong with the list as far as i can tell you play 3 wild sources in total how do you even justify rootfather with that?

I count 7 total (2 Shardcalls, 1 Wild Shard, 4 Shards of Fate), although the Shards of Fate are conditioned on you not having already drawn your Wild Shard. That still seems light given that you need double Wild for Rootfather, but I suspect he gets by through a combination of the fact that it's a 7 drop (at which point you'll have seen a lot of cards thanks to all the draw actions) and the ability to pitch Rootfather back into the deck and draw a replacement card if he doesn't have the thresholds for it.

wurtil
01-21-2016, 06:10 AM
While the deck does have 7 sources and a way to recur Shardcalls if need be, the real keys to why Rootfather is still justified here probably needs further explaining.

First, and most importantly, is that Rootfather is not being used like many traditional win cons we are used to seeing in HEX. For example, in a Diamond/Wild ramp deck that might have similar gems the expectation is that Rootfather is being used as a question to the opponent - "Can you deal with this?" Since you aren't running interrupts or much removal in a deck like that, you need to be able to play Rootfather before the opponent can shift the game back into their favor since you have no mechanisms for establishing true control over the gamestate. Here, Rootfather is the primary win condition because you need to win with something, and letting that something be a troop that easily can turn itself into a different card early in the game is more valuable than a different 6 or 7 drop that would just sit in your hand turn after turn. Once this deck gets going, you'll often have your hand literally full of removal and interrupts every turn, at which point all you need is to eventually have some way of finishing off the game in a timely manner.

Second, and in support of the above, is that the incredible amount of draw and deck selection tools we are packing here combined with the removal to buy time, you often find yourself turning a corner on turn 6 or 7 where suddenly you are starting to play multiple Sapphire actions in the same turn while still being able to deal with threats. Card Velocity is something I haven't touched on much, but the theory goes that as you create more pure card advantage plays, those will start to build upon each other and create further opportunities for card advantage if you have built your deck to exploit it. Winter Moon is an amazing fit for a deck that wants to push Card Velocity, and this deck is a great example of how it can be exploited. How that feeds back into our Rootfather threshold issue is simple - we care about using our Card Velocity to help us establish control of the game, and as a side effect we can reasonably expect to see cards while only playing a number of copies that otherwise would be considered shockingly low. Splashing 7 sources of Wild for a Rootfather in Blood/Diamond would be deck building suicide, you would be under 50% (47.57% to be more precise) of actually having your threshold in place given the lack of draw tools available to you. Contrast that to Diamond Moon here, where playing just three of your draw tools by turn 6 (not hard given that they typically can also chain into each other) can give you a greater than 75% chance to be able to play Rootfather on turn 7 if you want (and to the first point, you rarely do and instead will be turning the Rootfather itself into another card in most matchups).

CoS
01-21-2016, 08:33 AM
I would find room for at least one probable two Windsinger. The ability to have a fully replenished resource base on my opponents turn as well as access to all his draws for card advantage would be too much momentum for my current WinterMoon to give up.

Malcolm
01-21-2016, 10:07 AM
This deck already saw play during the last IQ. It did around 50% win ratio.
I know this because it was played against me and I was using old busted r/w ramp (dont ask) and therefore had a 50% win ratio.
It needed Root in play to win, lost 1 game due to rush no interrupts in hand. Also needs smart plays, if u fall to feints drawing out Cntmagic u will lose.

Its a neat deck idea but needs more skill to play well then simple DrawMoon netdeck.

wolzarg
01-22-2016, 05:26 AM
Thank you for explaining that as always i have great respect for your builds.