PDA

View Full Version : Gameforge Update - Human Mage

Mejis
01-21-2016, 01:56 PM
http://en.hex.gameforge.com/news.html?p=5025

Edit: apologies if this already posted, didn't see any thread titles with it here.

Zophie
01-21-2016, 02:07 PM
http://en.hex.gameforge.com/news.html?p=5025

Edit: apologies if this already posted, didn't see any thread titles with it here.

It'll be up on the main HexTCG site soon I'm sure. I kinda hate linking to the gameforge site, it's so confusing to split up our game info across two different sites like that, would be nice if they just merged both sites (and forums) into a shiny new site on hextcg.com and just stick with that.

Mejis
01-21-2016, 02:08 PM
It'll be up on the main HexTCG site soon I'm sure. I kinda hate linking to the gameforge site, it's so confusing to split up our game info across two different sites like that, would be nice if they just merged both sites (and forums) into a shiny new site on hextcg.com and just stick with that.

Yeah sorry, don't like it too, but just wanted people to see it despite the fact it must surely hit the main site any time now.

Zophie
01-21-2016, 02:09 PM
just wanted people to see it despite the fact it must surely hit the main site any time now.

Indeed, it's great info! :)

Mejis
01-21-2016, 02:49 PM
The way this is worded certainly makes it sound like the rest of the talent tree will be available at launch, but I guess we'll find out next week. Either way, mages sound fantastic and can't wait to try one.

shocker455
01-21-2016, 03:00 PM
If we are restricted to only t1 skills the mage seems subpar, or at least humans mages. They lack any way to deal with the board untill sp6/7, which is a problem with so little hp. I do think a lvl 30 mage will be amazing tho

I do wounded how much damage the ai will be putting out. Between warrior armor and priests heals, seems like it be more then standard to keep things interesting for them. Which is more bad news for the mage

Koz
01-21-2016, 03:01 PM
The way this is worded certainly makes it sound like the rest of the talent tree will be available at launch, but I guess we'll find out next week. Either way, mages sound fantastic and can't wait to try one.

What did you read that made you think that? I only ask because I didn't see anything that drew me to that conclusion but I could have missed something.

Fred
01-21-2016, 03:03 PM
If we are restricted to only t1 skills the mage seems subpar, or at least humans mages. They lack any way to deal with the board untill sp6/7, which is a problem with so little hp. I do think a lvl 30 mage will be amazing tho

Any RPG mage starts out like a wimp that can barely throw a spark, but ends up setting the whole world on fire. That's why I love them, for the end game :D

Ertzi
01-21-2016, 03:06 PM
I just realized it will take me 7 hours to choose a race + class combo, and another 4 to come up with a name for my character.

LNQ
01-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Could you specify which part makes it sound like that? Xenavire on another thread already very strongly implied that the whole tree will not be available at launch.

Svenn
01-21-2016, 03:09 PM
I just realized it will take me 7 hours to choose a race + class combo, and another 4 to come up with a name for my character.

People don't just have a half dozen characters on hand that they use in every game with typical race/class (or general roles) and names? o_O

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Could you specify which part makes it sound like that? Xenavire on another thread already very strongly implied that the whole tree will not be available at launch.

I am not speaking officially of course, but yes, I firmly believe we get progress only as far as level ten, and no talents beyond what has been spoiled (less for warriors, since it was a bigger tree.)

Mejis
01-21-2016, 03:32 PM

Also @Koz above.

Perhaps I worded my comment badly. What I meant was that the way the talent tree is described, in terms of funnelling choices, makes it seem fully mapped out already and that Ben only wanted to reveal the first tier choices to us as a spoiler. The first tier is really a prelude to that decision later on, so without the latter portions of the tree it seems like Mage would be a tad incomplete/frail. I reasoned, perhaps incorrectly, that we'd therefore have access to the whole tree.

The Cleric spoiler seemed very reasonable as a standalone tier 1 set of talents, whereas the Mage's feel more of a set-up for the next, unrevealed but hinted at, tiers.

Hope that makes sense. I'm in no way belittling the Mage talents previewed. They sound fantastic and I love the design direction and can't wait to give one a go.

plaguedealer
01-21-2016, 03:36 PM
In the pcgamer interview Cory emphasized that he wanted us to not have all the info before release. The talents may very well be in, heck the warrior tree was fully fleshed out in gencon. He could also just meant the race/class combos or the dungeons.

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 03:41 PM
In the pcgamer interview Cory emphasized that he wanted us to not have all the info before release. The talents may very well be in, heck the warrior tree was fully fleshed out in gencon. He could also just meant the race/class combos or the dungeons.

The warrior tree also was shown with a warning that things could change.

IronPheasant
01-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Seems... stronger than the other guys.

The 2% extra gold is gonna be a magnet since anything that rewards you more for your time will attract min/maxers like crazy. I can make $6 more a week from playing? Why wouldn't I do that.

A rabbit druid named Fluffybottomcock.

you're welcome

Svenn
01-21-2016, 04:02 PM

The 2% extra gold is gonna be a magnet since anything that rewards you more for your time will attract min/maxers like crazy. I can make $6 more a week from playing? Why wouldn't I do that.

That's funny, cause I saw that and was like "pffft, worthless... next!" ;) I'm not a fan of gimping myself in order to have slightly better loot (though I get why people do).

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 04:05 PM
That's funny, cause I saw that and was like "pffft, worthless... next!" ;) I'm not a fan of gimping myself in order to have slightly better loot.

My thoughts exactly - I prefer a better chance of beating X boss than getting a % more gold if I luck into a win. I'll take money in the hand over potential for money any day.

thegreybetween
01-21-2016, 04:06 PM

you're welcome

Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that dickchat is a pervasive thing in MMOs. "Lols, my name is cockhat10kb."

I guess there is a positive side to the chat window defaulting to collapsed view after all.

LNQ
01-21-2016, 04:30 PM
2% extra gold = one extra dungeon run per 50 runs, in gold only, not loot. If you can build a deck that has even a tiny bit better / faster clear rate, minmaxers will choose that.

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 04:41 PM
2% extra gold = one extra dungeon run per 50 runs, in gold only, not loot. If you can build a deck that has even a tiny bit better / faster clear rate, minmaxers will choose that.

It also depends on where the bulk of the gold is coming from - if it is the boss, great, but if it is split between all the encounters (encouraging a full clear) then a stronger talent will probably equate to faster farming.

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 05:43 PM
What worries me bout mages is do spells increasing cost in SP permanent?

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 05:45 PM
What worries me bout mages is do spells increasing cost in SP permanent?

I'd say per encounter (node), as otherwise they wouldn't be viable. I imagine it as mental exhaustion, as repeatedly casting spells can't be a walk in the park.

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 05:49 PM
I'd say per encounter (node), as otherwise they wouldn't be viable. I imagine it as mental exhaustion, as repeatedly casting spells can't be a walk in the park.

I hope so that would suck otherwise.

Xenavire
01-21-2016, 05:53 PM
I hope so that would suck otherwise.

Thats exactly why I can't see them doing it. (Also because 'permanent' card effects also only last in the current fight makes sense for mages too.)

WolfCrypt
01-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Wish they spoiled all the shardless cards

IronPheasant
01-21-2016, 05:58 PM
I remember something of persistence of effects in a dungeon. Like Kraken tentacles stealing your cards when they hit you.

Could be iiinteresting.

(Of course mage spell costs would have to reset per encounter that's a given.)

Ertzi
01-21-2016, 11:58 PM

you're welcome

Phew! Problem solved. Thank you. She will adventure with the mischievous Frog Elementalist Victor Croakenstein.

I'm the kind of player who would absolutely make one character simply for the extra gold percentage, but I dismissed this one right off the bat. 2% is simply way too small a bonus. I would consider it after like 10% or more. But oh boy, if there will ever be a trait that gives a chance for rarer loot...

Ertzi
01-22-2016, 12:00 AM
People don't just have a half dozen characters on hand that they use in every game with typical race/class (or general roles) and names? o_O

Funny thing is I have a file that has like 50 ready-made names for different occasions, but for some reason that does not prevent me from spending hours thinking about them. I have a weird obsession about naming things. It has to be just right :D

LNQ
01-22-2016, 01:53 AM
Use this, click away until you find something you like:
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

If you dislike using a name generator, consider that when naming their children people use a list of pre-made names, so it makes sense to use a similar list for fantasy characters.

Maybe the person running that site could include a Hex name generator there too. It would be useful especially for the Necrotic.

BenStoll
01-22-2016, 02:05 AM
Correct, SP costs for your spells reset to the default between encounters.

Maylick
01-22-2016, 02:10 AM

Thanks for clarification, Ben! Looking forward for more articles written by you. I guess you are busy right now but your game design insights are always delightfull)

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 02:12 AM

I was kinda worried there. I found out you kinda built Mage to compliment Coyotle XD Thunderfield Elder's effect is the same as a Mage Talent exactly XD And the Stormcall equip can create elementals

eimerian
01-22-2016, 02:13 AM
Maybe the person running that site could include a Hex name generator there too. It would be useful especially for the Necrotic.

I found a list of potential necrotic names:
http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2011/1/palindrome-baby-names-the-master-list

QuartZ
01-22-2016, 02:53 AM
I found a list of potential necrotic names:
http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2011/1/palindrome-baby-names-the-master-list

11837 Savvas

17689 Savas

HA! We got you loregoyle!
also no Anana in the site, witch is just lame ;P

Mejis
01-22-2016, 05:19 AM

Thanks Ben. And thanks for the great articles and hard work. Super excited for next week :D

Showsni
01-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Use this, click away until you find something you like:
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/

If you dislike using a name generator, consider that when naming their children people use a list of pre-made names, so it makes sense to use a similar list for fantasy characters.

Does it break the terms of the settlement to use WotC's D&D one?
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010208b

eimerian
01-22-2016, 06:42 AM
Does it break the terms of the settlement to use WotC's D&D one?
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20010208b

They have a name generator? That's good to hear.

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 06:43 AM
They have a name generator? That's good to hear.

*Giggle.*

Koz
01-22-2016, 06:47 AM

Can you please clarify if only 1/3 of the talents will be available in the first patch or not? I'd like to end the speculation on that one

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 06:56 AM
Can you please clarify if only 1/3 of the talents will be available in the first patch or not? I'd like to end the speculation on that one

I don't see why people think the Cleric spoiler was ambiguous about that, of course we only get 1/3rd.

Svenn
01-22-2016, 07:32 AM
I don't see why people think the Cleric spoiler was ambiguous about that, of course we only get 1/3rd.

Because the Warrior one said the same thing, stated in a slightly different way that made it sound like it was just locked on creating a new character, and not missing completely.

Koz
01-22-2016, 07:36 AM

That's what I've said from the beginning. However, a lot of people think otherwise, and that has made me less than 100% certain now as the debate has continued. I honestly don't see why they don't just clear it up. If they are sitting back and thinking "well, it's obvious what we meant so I don't see a need to answer that question" then that is incredibly dismissive of all the people that are clearly confused on this issue.

A simple answer wouldn't hurt anyone, but it would help many, and that's all I'm asking for.

Fred
01-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Because the Warrior one said the same thing, stated in a slightly different way that made it sound like it was just locked on creating a new character, and not missing completely.

The Warrior talent tree was spoiled such a long time ago that whatever was said in an even remotely ambiguous way holds no ground whatsoever. Between what was said about the warrior way back in August, and what has been said about the Cleric last week, I think the Cleric information is a lot more accurate.

The remaining 2/3 of each of the talent trees are probably designed already, they are just not implemented.

Fred
01-22-2016, 07:58 AM
11837 Savvas

17689 Savas

HA! We got you loregoyle!
also no Anana in the site, witch is just lame ;P

Ctrl-F says otherwise...

25867 Anana

She ain't a madam yet though.

Svenn
01-22-2016, 08:03 AM
The Warrior talent tree was spoiled such a long time ago that whatever was said in an even remotely ambiguous way holds no ground whatsoever. Between what was said about the warrior way back in August, and what has been said about the Cleric last week, I think the Cleric information is a lot more accurate.

The remaining 2/3 of each of the talent trees are probably designed already, they are just not implemented.

The problem is that the Cleric thing sounds like the same thing they said back in August with different wording. That's why it's ambiguous. Does "1/3 of the tree is unlocked on Campaign Launch" mean "when the campaign is launched to players" or "when a player launches the campaign"?

I believe that we'll only get 1/3, but this wording is ambiguous enough that people aren't sure. It's silly of HexEnt to state this and then not clarify which meaning they intended as all it is doing is making people angry arguing over it.

Timlagor
01-22-2016, 08:08 AM
It seems clear that you can't pick from the second tier of talents until you reach a certain level (can't just climb one line up the tree to the top) and I thought that was all it meant.

Rereading it I think they meant the other thing though :(
I fear there will be a lot of people hitting the level cap at 7 or 10 across all their character slots if more doesn't open quickly -I suppose we can hope they just want to make sure they haven't left any massive exploits open before unlocking more. Possibly there could be a campaign goal/quest to unlock more. While we don't seem likely to be able to play together yet there's no reason there couldn't be a community goal to be reached in terms of defeating stuff (kill 10k bunnies! -unlock 5 levels of coyotle warrior; recover the almost impossible lost gem of power to open mage levels!)

Koz
01-22-2016, 08:21 AM
It seems clear that you can't pick from the second tier of talents until you reach a certain level (can't just climb one line up the tree to the top) and I thought that was all it meant.

Rereading it I think they meant the other thing though :(
I fear there will be a lot of people hitting the level cap at 7 or 10 across all their character slots if more doesn't open quickly -I suppose we can hope they just want to make sure they haven't left any massive exploits open before unlocking more. Possibly there could be a campaign goal/quest to unlock more. While we don't seem likely to be able to play together yet there's no reason there couldn't be a community goal to be reached in terms of defeating stuff (kill 10k bunnies! -unlock 5 levels of coyotle warrior; recover the almost impossible lost gem of power to open mage levels!)

Here is a prime example of how confused this issue is. They really just need to clarify their existing comments. It's almost disrespectful of the playerbase at this point that they can't just clarify what they meant. Do they find all of this confusion amusing or something? I honestly can't understand why they've allowed this to go on so long. It's baffling from a customer service perspective.

Anyway, I'm sure the reason for pushing the patch through before all of the talents were ready for release (if that is indeed what is happening), is a financial one. I'm pretty sure they need to release Set 4 ASAP because they need the money to keep paying their bills. Since they had both an internal goal, and a public promise, not to release Set 4 until after the PvE patch, I think they are pushing this patch out with much less content than they (or us) would like, but they don't have a lot of choice. The bills do need to be paid after all, one way or another, and PvE isn't how they are going to do that, so the sooner they get it out, the sooner they can get Set 4 out. I'm betting on a March release for Set 4, possibly even February.

IronPheasant
01-22-2016, 08:28 AM
It doesn't make sense to say "1/3rd of the tree is unlocked at campaign launch" instead of "1/3rd of it is unlocked on character creation".

So either the sentence is wrong, or we're getting 1/6th of the classes. Eh.

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 08:31 AM
The problem is that the Cleric thing sounds like the same thing they said back in August with different wording. That's why it's ambiguous. Does "1/3 of the tree is unlocked on Campaign Launch" mean "when the campaign is launched to players" or "when a player launches the campaign"?

I believe that we'll only get 1/3, but this wording is ambiguous enough that people aren't sure. It's silly of HexEnt to state this and then not clarify which meaning they intended as all it is doing is making people angry arguing over it.

I think people are just confusing themselves by reading into it that way. First of all, HexEnt is probably well aware that keeping the talents secret for higher levels would open a can of worms later on if things turned out wildly different to players expectations, so keeping them secret now seems foolish if they are indeed ready. (For further proof of this, we can already see the racials for higher levels, which are obviously shown to allow us a more informed decision about our race. If the talents were done for higher levels, there would be no reason not to preview them.)

Second, launch in Hex has always meant a new patch, so saying launch about Campaign is just players making it ambiguous for themselves - if you were unable to see the talents for higher levels during character creation, thats the kind of wording they would use, or something along the lines of 'At the start of your adventure, you won't be able to select high level talents, but don't worry, they will unlock as you progress!' - but they didn't say anything like that, they said 1/3rd will be available with the patch.

As for the warrior talents, they were a WIP, so I think that the new info supersedes the old info, not augments it. I guess I can see how it is confusing, but given the other reasoning, we can essentially ignore the warrior spoiler wording.

Still, if someone (Ben? Phenteo?) could make this 100% black and white for us, that would be great.

fido_one
01-22-2016, 10:04 AM
I think people are just confusing themselves by reading into it that way. First of all, HexEnt is probably well aware that keeping the talents secret for higher levels would open a can of worms later on if things turned out wildly different to players expectations, so keeping them secret now seems foolish if they are indeed ready. (For further proof of this, we can already see the racials for higher levels, which are obviously shown to allow us a more informed decision about our race. If the talents were done for higher levels, there would be no reason not to preview them.)

Second, launch in Hex has always meant a new patch, so saying launch about Campaign is just players making it ambiguous for themselves - if you were unable to see the talents for higher levels during character creation, thats the kind of wording they would use, or something along the lines of 'At the start of your adventure, you won't be able to select high level talents, but don't worry, they will unlock as you progress!' - but they didn't say anything like that, they said 1/3rd will be available with the patch.

As for the warrior talents, they were a WIP, so I think that the new info supersedes the old info, not augments it. I guess I can see how it is confusing, but given the other reasoning, we can essentially ignore the warrior spoiler wording.

Still, if someone (Ben? Phenteo?) could make this 100% black and white for us, that would be great.

Yeah, it just wasn't clear given the context, nothing we can do until they tell us. Hope they clarify when they release the patch, otherwise it would be undue stress. They may not have clarified as maybe they are close to getting them in there and are letting the ambiguity ride until they know for certain? Other than that, couldn't imagine why they didn't step in sooner to say either way.

Monkranos
01-22-2016, 03:00 PM
In any case, I'm definately going to try a human elementalist mage now.

Silvanos
01-22-2016, 03:12 PM
I don't see why this is such a huge issue that it's "disrespectful" of them to not clarify it. Knowing, right now, if we will get more talents next week isn't going to change anything. I get that some people just want to know everything, but there is TONS of stuff we don't know yet about campaign, and that they aren't going to spoil. Hell, there is even some debate about whether or not Mercs are in. This is just another one of those things. I don't see any point or value in arguing about it.

BenStoll
01-22-2016, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, sorry about the confusion. I'll try to be clearer initially next time. At launch you will have access to just what has been spoiled, as far as class talents go (but of course all eight races haven't been spoiled yet but will also all be in at launch). Note that when I say "Just what has been spoiled," I'm not including tiers 2 and 3 from the big Warrior full reveal. You will have access to the first tier of stuff (two rows total) for all three classes.

When we next increase the level cap, the next tier (next two rows) for all available classes will be unlocked. At that time, you will also be able to unlock your racial capstone, which unlocks at level 15 (note this is not the same thing as your race-class capstone, which unlocks at level 30).

The Level Cap at Launch is 9.

Thanks! Anxiously awaiting your reactions to the content :)

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, sorry about the confusion. I'll try to be clearer initially next time. At launch you will have access to just what has been spoiled, as far as class talents go (but of course all eight races haven't been spoiled yet but will also all be in at launch). Note that when I say "Just what has been spoiled," I'm not including tiers 2 and 3 from the big Warrior full reveal. You will have access to the first tier of stuff (two rows total) for all three classes.

When we next increase the level cap, the next tier (next two rows) for all available classes will be unlocked. At that time, you will also be able to unlock your racial capstone, which unlocks at level 15 (note this is not the same thing as your race-class capstone, which unlocks at level 30).

Believe me I'll give you my opinion XD

Vorsa
01-22-2016, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the clarifications, Ben.
To the theorycraftingmobile! :o

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the clarifications, Ben.
To the theorycraftingmobile! :o

Cue spinning background and Hex logo

frychikn
01-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Damn... only 3 classes :(.

I wonder how much they rushed pve to get it to us, seems kind of a big deal to only have 3 classes at launch and level 9 as the cap.

Monkranos
01-22-2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info Ben. Couple related questions though, when we create a character, do we start at level 1, with or without a talent point right away (so we end with 9 or 8 talent pts respectively at lvl 9), or do we start at level 0 with or without a talent point (resulting in 10 or 9 talent points respectively). I know it's a small difference on the whole, but it makes a difference for those of us that like to plan such things.

Mejis
01-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Many thanks Ben.
I'm sure you'll be overwhelmed with positive support and congratulations come launch. (Especially if the patch comes out for Australia Day on Tuesday hehehe).
No issue with the initial level cap on my part, very excited to just try out all the 24 possible combinations and get collecting those cards and enjoy the story, encounters and dungeons, however many of those there are. :D

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the info Ben. Couple related questions though, when we create a character, do we start at level 1, with or without a talent point right away (so we end with 9 or 8 talent pts respectively at lvl 9), or do we start at level 0 with or without a talent point (resulting in 10 or 9 talent points respectively). I know it's a small difference on the whole, but it makes a difference for those of us that like to plan such things.

I'm going with 8

Koz
01-22-2016, 04:38 PM

Thanks Ben! Glad that's settled :)

fido_one
01-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time out of what I assume is a slightly busy week/day to clarify!

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Damn... only 3 classes :(.

I wonder how much they rushed pve to get it to us, seems kind of a big deal to only have 3 classes at launch and level 9 as the cap.

I am going to guess that halving the number of classes let them put a lot more work into the rest of the content. Just because something may have been delayed to expedite the patch doesn't necessarily mean things were rushed, just that they freed up time and manpower to allocate elsewhere. If anything, I would expect what we do get to be that much more polished.

BenStoll
01-22-2016, 07:56 PM
8 talent points gained from leveling is correct. You start with 0 talent points at level 1.

You're welcome! "slightly busy" week, eh? ;) I know your heart was in the right place with that description :D <3

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm glad my first talent can be that adorable little Sprite I hope it's the same thing as it's talent symbol cuz he so huggable! And damn good useful

fido_one
01-22-2016, 08:20 PM
8 talent points gained from leveling is correct. You start with 0 talent points at level 1.

You're welcome! "slightly busy" week, eh? ;) I know your heart was in the right place with that description :D <3

Oh! You must have been on vacation! Sorry!

Seriously though, ya'll will knock this out of the park, the previews are looking amazing, I've been waiting two years for this and I am 100% confident it'll be awesome. Hex and the promise of PvE has gotten me through the most difficult two years of my life (albeit first world problems) - normally I'd say that's a bit of a pitiful statement, but you got to hold on to whatever you can in life's shitstorms, and that has been Hex for me. Know it's probably impossible, but sit back, relax, crack open a beer or six, and watch everyone wig out on how awesome this is.

BenStoll
01-22-2016, 09:21 PM
Haha! Thanks friend, it means a lot to hear all that :D

I hope you find it as awesome as you're hoping for :)

wolzarg
01-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Haha! Thanks friend, it means a lot to hear all that :D

I hope you find it as awesome as you're hoping for :)
I demand warlock spoilers. Tell us this much will they be awesome once we get them?

Amazing work so far but i was really looking forward to warlock and rogue since the first day so its a minor setback in my awesome meter. Which was frankly already bursting so no real harm done.

frychikn
01-23-2016, 12:28 AM
I'm sure pve cant be a pushover since it is kind of an important part of the game going live.....

i think i can be fine with lvl 9 cap and only 3 classes, BUT I DO want to know, when can we expect higher levels and more classes?