PDA

View Full Version : Picking A Race Other then Starter

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Okay let's say for example a newbie just joined Hex does tutorial then decides to make a Champion and looks at all traits and then decide on a race other then their starter... Are they screwed or do all Create a Champion get PVE starter decks?

Maylick
01-22-2016, 01:50 AM
I believe every race have initaial PvE experience which helps to learn game and give you a PvE starter. That would be logical. I'm totally sure we will hear about it in press reviews after Saturday.

Aswell as say respecs for talents. At least because when other parts of talent tree would be unlocked someone would like to build another synergy.

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 01:52 AM
I hope so I have a ton of human cards but not starter deck I also got rid of some starter deck cards to vennen.

Jormungandr
01-22-2016, 09:14 AM
It's definitely a good question. It would make sense from a mechanics perspective to receive a starter deck of the race your character is so that you have a legal deck in the beginning. On the other hand, in a recent stream Cory specifically mentioned that the in-game shop would only sell packs and starter decks. If you could get starter decks with the creation of a PvE character, wouldn't that make the starter decks in the in-game shop kind of obsolete? (I know the $$ ones aren't account-bound cards, but I don't think people are buying them to trade/sell the cards, at least not currently.) So that seems like a weird disconnect to me. I'd be interested to see how it all works. Happily we only have a short amount of time to wait.

nicosharp
01-22-2016, 09:18 AM
There are going to be 24 total starting race/class combinations, and there are only currently 8 starter decks. I'd imagine some starting race/class combinations will not have the right mix of starting thresholds to be playable by the starter decks. I also expect the new player experience of picking a starter deck to be based on your PvE starting champion choice. There may be several "advanced" PvE starting choices that are not recommended to new players due to the deck building limitations that can not be met by the starter decks.

My guess, although I may be wrong, is that Human/Mage - which I plan to start with, is going to be either heavily Ruby/Sapphire, or heavily Ruby/Diamond - Which means, and Ben already stated this in the article, that the deck will be considered more "advanced", and will not be a selectable option for new players. The Human Starter, and others, do not have the right shard mix to run it. Dwarf would be close if Ruby/Sapphire, but odd.

Champions may also "unlock" once you hit the min requirements through your card inventory to play enough cards to build a deck for the PvE champion.

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 09:33 AM
I imagine HexEnt has a very new-player friendly idea in mind. Cory was sounding very proud of the new player experience, so I doubt it would be too heavily restricted or punishing.

nicosharp
01-22-2016, 09:38 AM
I imagine HexEnt has a very new-player friendly idea in mind. Cory was sounding very proud of the new player experience, so I doubt it would be too heavily restricted or punishing.

Wouldn't you know as a tester? I guess all classes should be able to be played with the starter decks initially, just makes me think some shard combinations at start will be a bit annoying, unless they are adding starter decks to the mix.

Xenavire
01-22-2016, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't you know as a tester? I guess all classes should be able to be played with the starter decks initially, just makes me think some shard combinations at start will be a bit annoying, unless they are adding starter decks to the mix.

Even if I knew, I wouldn't be able to say anything, so assuming that my title gives me hidden information doesn't do you any good. :p

As I always say, assume I know nothing, because I only talk about public information either way.

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 11:27 AM
Well I hope there is something fair regarding this... I might try a human but I only have human cards no starter.

FlyingMeatchip
01-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I sure many persons in the community, including myself, would certainly help any new player that would come into general/help chat with this or a similar issue... :)

nicosharp
01-22-2016, 11:32 AM
They could allow players, outside of starter decks chosen, to play with an account-bound "starter deck" linked to the champion choice, so there is more flexibility. It will be interesting to see how it's handled, and if veteran's even get a glimpse in? I rather not have to create a new account to get a taste of what the new player experience is like now.

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 11:35 AM
They could allow players, outside of starter decks chosen, to play with an account-bound "starter deck" linked to the champion choice, so there is more flexibility. It will be interesting to see how it's handled, and if veteran's even get a glimpse in? I rather not have to create a new account to get a taste of what the new player experience is like now.

Why would you want to? We're vets more or less we been around the block we can just accept that they fixed the problems we faced as newbies.

Zophie
01-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Perhaps each class has a basic untradable PVE-only starter deck provided during the tutorial encounters to get you started...

nicosharp
01-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Why would you want to? We're vets more or less we been around the block we can just accept that they fixed the problems we faced as newbies.
As a heavily invested player and community member, I am very supportive yet critical of the new player experience. If I don't have the option to try out the new player experience, I will be creating a dummy account. I want to be able to advertise the game, and have circles of friends that can't be advertised to until certain things are in place.

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 11:39 AM
As a heavily invested player and community member, I am very supportive yet critical of the new player experience. If I don't have the option to try out the new player experience, I will be creating a dummy account.

That get you in trouble o.O

nicosharp
01-22-2016, 11:40 AM
That get you in trouble o.O
Actually it won't, the other 2 household accounts are both grandfathered. Don't be concerned for me :)

malloc31
01-22-2016, 11:44 AM
they will probably have at least one PVE race/class combo that goes with each starter deck, so mater which starter deck you choose there is a way for you to start the campaign. Then you can only play other combos, once you have unlocked (won in PVE) or bought (in AH) enough cards to construct a deck for them.

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 11:46 AM
they will probably have at least one PVE race/class combo that goes with each starter deck, so mater which starter deck you choose there is a way for you to start the campaign. Then you can only play other combos, once you have unlocked (won in PVE) or bought (in AH) enough cards to construct a deck for them.

But unlocking? Hmm I think that be unfair to newbies. Some players make all the races and class combos and try em out till they find what they want if they are limited to only their starter deck..

bwarner
01-22-2016, 11:56 AM
My guess: each PVE character will get a starter deck based on your race that is locked to that character and cannot be traded or used in PVP(or by other PVE characters?). You don't have to choose your one free PVP starter deck right away, you can try them all out in PVE and then when you are ready to try PVP, you lock in the starter deck that you will use there. This would mean that you don't have to buy different starter decks to play different races in PVE, but that seems reasonable to allow for an easier on-boarding process where you don't get stuck with a choice you regret.

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Because people have been complaining they don't like their starter and frankly if you only do PVP well you can't really blame Hex but PVE is a whole nother thing regarding this situation.

nicosharp
01-22-2016, 12:00 PM
Because people have been complaining they don't like their starter and frankly if you only do PVP well you can't really blame Hex but PVE is a whole nother thing regarding this situation.
Let's wait and see. No sense stressing about it when we are only a few days from it. If they say they improved the experience, I bet that was factored in.

WolfCrypt
01-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Let's wait and see. No sense stressing about it when we are only a few days from it. If they say they improved the experience, I bet that was factored in.

Speaking of that it seems they've forced themselves to release PVE any day between 24th and 31st as 1st is Holiday event. Hex is really confident this is good news for future patches.

On topic: I suppose your right.