PDA

View Full Version : Icon very similar to an icon from Dota 2?

Sielas
01-23-2016, 10:57 AM
I came back into the game and was looking at the home page posts when I noticed this in the mage talent tree. Notice the hair contour, necklace and earrings.

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MentalSuperiority.png (mage talent)
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/b/be/Fiery_Soul_icon.png?version=64006a47ffd955b3fb17a2 74c947839e (Lina passive icon from Dota 2)

Sinistarlol
01-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Very close resemblance. Wonder what they have to say about it.

nicosharp
01-23-2016, 11:14 AM
That is dangerously close to being the same with a bit of photoshop skills.

knightofeffect
01-23-2016, 11:15 AM
#goodeye

Zophie
01-23-2016, 11:18 AM
Or it was just art for an icon that both games happened to license from same artist

pjvedder
01-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Also maybe it was used as a placeholder, and the actual in-game asset will be different?

Seraph_Hex
01-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Very close resemblance.

That is dangerously close

Really, "close" is the first thing that comes to mind?

Edit: Well, I guess it's a good thing that people are so politically correct.

fido_one
01-23-2016, 11:25 AM
It's the same, either same artist that has license over their work and can redistribute, but I don't know the specifics on how artists work for games. I don't think it's a big thing, especially since they haven't released the game yet, if it isn't in compliance, they'll change it by the release date.

LNQ
01-23-2016, 11:27 AM
That's not good, but luckily it's just a skill icon. Someone will certainly hear about this. Good that it was brought up so soon, before release even.

Zophie
01-23-2016, 11:28 AM
It's the same, either same artist that has license over their work and can redistribute, but I don't know the specifics on how artists work for games.

This is not an uncommon practice with game development, especially for little elements like icons such as this.

wolzarg
01-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Note to self valve has the copyright of head of red woman.

Sielas
01-23-2016, 11:35 AM
It's the same, either same artist that has license over their work and can redistribute, but I don't know the specifics on how artists work for games.

Valve to the best of my knowledge does everything in-house and outsources nothing other than voice acting

Sielas
01-23-2016, 11:38 AM
I'd like to add that the Dota icon was slightly polished some time ago but I was unable to find the old version. That version is likely even more similar to the HEX one.

Ubiquity
01-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Well, I guess it's a good thing that people are so politically correct.

Does this mean anything aside from "This is something I don't like?" How could "political correctness" possibly be germane to whether or not an icon in a game is being used appropriately?

CZE_Ty
01-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Hey everyone,
I wanted to pop in here and give a quick run down on this situation. It was brought to our attention recently that this icon may have been derived from another game which is something that we at Hex Entertainment take a strong stand against. We pride ourselves on our unique content and spend a great deal of time to hand craft everything you see from concept to final game implementation.
In this particular case, a written description was sent to a contractor who then decided in their brilliance it would be smart to borrow content to finish their work quicker. While this icon will unfortunately make it into the initial launch of the campaign because of short notice, the icon has already been recreated and in the next patch it will be replaced.
Thank you all for understanding!