PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts regarding PVE restrictions etc.

Halsey
01-23-2016, 12:55 PM
I've seen a lot of speculation about restrictions, and people covering the full spectrum between hating and loving the idea of deck building restrictions. Personally I think I'll like the feeling of progression it gives. There has also been a ton of speculation about things we might see. There are though, a couple thoughts I've had that I haven't seen mentioned.

First, and biggest, so far the most allowed copies of a card, (I know it's a guess / assumption that that's what the chart indicates, but it does seem the most sensible to me based on what we've seen), we've seen is 3, everyone is assuming that would go up to 4. Why does it have to stop at 4? Just because there are 4 of each value in a deck of playing cards, or 4 of each card is the default TCG standard these days, doesn't make it a locked in stone standard. What if at high levels, say at level 30, you can have up to 4 of any card, but your focused shards based on race or class can run 5 or 6 copies of each card. Certainly a way to boost the consistency, and thereby the power, of a given deck and an interesting twist. Would absolutely toss a twist at people who have focused time and energy on collecting 4x "play sets", and selling off stuff in excess of 4, (and yeah, I'm definitely in this group, as I think a lot of the kickstarter and slacker backer types are). There may also only be a few of them, but it would also have a big effect on the 'value' of the Producer tier's 4x of every non exclusive card for the life of the game.

Definitely have mixed opinions on this, but overall, I think it would be an interesting change to deck building at high or max levels.

Second has to do with loot. Specifically chests, currently the only place chests come from is opening packs, which is perfect in my opinion for PVP set chests, give a bit of extra incentive for PvE only types to pick up a few packs seeing as most chest loot so far is PvE oriented. What are the chances though that there could also be PvE book 1 chests that we get from dungeons and other encounters. Chests that could, just like the PvP chests, be spun on the wheels of fate, and opened to find more loot. If they have their own completely separate loot tables, to include say exclusive sleeves in the primal chests, they would certainly be a huge draw to free grinders if the current value of primal chests is any indication. If the power level of PvE cards rewarded for spinning them is close to some of the current spin rewards, (looking at you slaughtergear cards), even the common ones could have significant value on the auction house.

Now while I was thinking about this the other day, I couldn't decide if I loved the idea, or hated it. More stuff to chase in a game that has almost too much to chase all ready makes the obsessive completionist in me cringe, but I beat him into submission a long while back, so I think I can deal with that. On the other hand more stuff that gives that yes moment when it drops is always good. The big plus I see with the chest idea is that moment should never go away with the way the Hex economy works, even if by some miracle you've got everything you could want from said chests, there should be real enough value to them that they would always be good to find, if for no other reason than to build up your platinum stash for the next set release. The other concerns I had were PvP rewards from spins that are workable as rewards with the current system because chests are not truly 'free' every one currently comes from a pack of cards that was either bought with platinum, or won in a tournament that was funded with platinum entry fees. Honestly the PvP card rewards on spins I think are rare enough that the overall effect on card values would be negligible unless the chest drop rate and gold generation rate in PvE are both obscenely high, and I can't see either being the case. Almost a bigger concern as to how they would decide what PvP set such cards came from. The other bigger issue to me would be the 3 red icons currently generating a pack. However the description doesn't say pack, it says 'exclusive rewards', so they should be able to easily slot something else in when it's a PvE chest being spun.

Okay, I've rambled enough, any thoughts?

Kroan
01-23-2016, 01:20 PM
It's already breaking my bank to buy 4 Slaughtergear's Replicators... let alone 5 or 6 :'( Let's keep it at 4, shall we :P

eimerian
01-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Regarding your first point:
I'm pretty sure it was definitely confirmed by now that that chart works the way you think it does.
A loooong time ago equipment for Time Bug was spoiled, that would allow you to have more than 4 copies of it in your deck (8 IIRC), but this piece of equipment was never implemented.
So we know at least that at some point during development, there were certain cards or equipment that allowed you to break the rules of deck building.

Also remember that there is one card, Jank Bot, with the deckbuilding keyword. I don't think they come up with a keyword and only use it once! There will be more cards with the deckbuilding keyword in the future and I find it possible that we may see at some point a PVP card with "Deckbuilding: You can have 6 copies of this in your deck" or something similar.

Halsey
01-23-2016, 01:25 PM
Regarding your first point:
I'm pretty sure it was definitely confirmed by now that that chart works the way you think it does.
A loooong time ago equipment for Time Bug was spoiled, that would allow you to have more than 4 copies of it in your deck (8 IIRC), but this piece of equipment was never implemented.
So we know at least that at some point during development, there were certain cards or equipment that allowed you to break the rules of deck building.

Also remember that there is one card, Jank Bot, with the deckbuilding keyword. I don't think they come up with a keyword and only use it once! There will be more cards with the deckbuilding keyword in the future and I find it possible that we may see at some point a PVP card with "Deckbuilding: You can have 6 copies of this in your deck" or something similar.

Oh, I'm fully aware that individual cards can break the rules about allowable numbers, even MTG has done that in the past. There's a world of difference between a card you can have 6 or 8 or more copies of and a change to the core 4x of each rule in a more general sense. There are plenty of people here far better than me at deck building, and hence easily grasping those ramifications though :-}