PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had any luck with Steam Link/Steam Controller?

Mr.Funsocks
01-23-2016, 11:16 PM
With PvE coming and my interest piqued again, I am curious if anyone has had any luck getting Steam Controller working with the game, especially with Steam Link. When I tried last with my controller, I couldn't reassign the keybindings properly, they'd reset constantly. I haven't bought a Link yet, but I heard a lot of people saying they were having serious difficulties getting it to work with the controller on Hex. So before I buy one, has anyone had any luck with getting the controller or the Link to work with Hex? Or any other way to get some Hex action on the couch, since I now have a dog that needs couch cuddles...

Thoom
01-24-2016, 02:19 AM
It worked fine for me, with two quibbles:

1. It's really hard to read cards on a 1080p TV at any reasonable distance, so it might not be ideal for exploring unfamiliar PVE content.

2. It was definitely slower than playing with a mouse, though that's not as relevant in PVE.

The issue with bindings resetting was a Steam beta issue last month IIRC, which I hope is fixed by now.

I should note that I tried it back in mid-November. I'll give it another try tomorrow to make sure it still works and report back.

Thoom
01-24-2016, 02:55 PM
Just tried it again. Works fine. Played through a gauntlet match and an arena match on my TV.

Mouse region is a godsend for speeding things along, as are bindings for Space/F1/F4/F8/F10.

fido_one
01-24-2016, 03:23 PM
I've used it since day one, love it. As long as you're not comparing it to a standard game controller, as it's just.... different, it's worth having around. I think it gets a bad rap as between games that are specifically designed for standard Xbox or PS4 controllers it just isn't as good most times (FPS aside), but that's a developer thing more than a controller thing.

For Hex, you'll start out a bit slow compared to the keyboard and mouse, but as you progress with it, you'll find it beats the snot out of trying to set up a keyboard and mouse (even if it's combined kit, like the Logitech 830) on the couch and is equally as fast. Though not as good as sitting in front of a monitor with a standard keyboard and mouse of course, but that's not really the point of the SC.

GeeWhiz
01-24-2016, 03:26 PM
I was not able to get Hex to work over the Steam Link at all. Sounds like it is working for everyone?

fido_one
01-24-2016, 04:04 PM
I was not able to get Hex to work over the Steam Link at all. Sounds like it is working for everyone?

I haven't tried the link, I use Nvidia gamestream via shield devices (aligns with the work I do). I've got so many computers I have accidentally streamed Hex via steam to a laptop as steam was defaulting to broadcasting my main rig's games all over the place, including that laptop. Took me a bit to realize it wasn't local play.

Whatever you end up using, needs to be tip-top bandwidth, preferably wired, otherwise it's going to stink, too much text to make a mid-low quality stream work.

Voormas
01-24-2016, 04:46 PM
I really enjoyed it and had a sweet controller profile set up BUT I stopped using it because of a few problems;

1) Launching the game via Steam (which was required to get this working) would almost always cause it to go into a download loop on the patcher
2) I was sitting in a queue for a draft, after a certain period of nothing happening the link stopped streaming which also caused it to quit the game

I'll go back to it again, just can't be bothered right now

fido_one
01-24-2016, 05:38 PM
I really enjoyed it and had a sweet controller profile set up BUT I stopped using it because of a few problems;

1) Launching the game via Steam (which was required to get this working) would almost always cause it to go into a download loop on the patcher
2) I was sitting in a queue for a draft, after a certain period of nothing happening the link stopped streaming which also caused it to quit the game

I'll go back to it again, just can't be bothered right now

Well if someone is going to drop money on a streamer and they have an Nvidia GPU on their machines, as much as I dislike shilling for them, Nvidia's gamestream can't be beat. I've R&Ded every low latency game streaming software and hardware solution on the market and then some, and think their solutions will be on top for a while. Just wish they'd stop being so damn proprietary on the client end, I love the Shield line up, but wish they would open up the end-clients to a wider audience. There are hacks that allow for it (Limelight) but the quality isn't nearly as good; love using it on the Shield tablet, and even streamed Hex to a 4K TV from the Shield console.

Consumer wise, my opinion on streaming game tech goes in the following order from best to worst on the 'big ones':

Nvidia Gamestream
Steam
Xbox One (very good!)
Playstation (meh, but they are supposedly releasing a PC client, which could make things better)

The issue with all of these is a blanket encoder/decoder that you really can't muck with as much as you would like, which I hope improves as time moves on. For the professional low latency streaming solutions (Desktop as a Service, using things like PCoIP) you can mess more with 'build to lossless' codecs meaning that if the screen is stable for more than x amount of a second it'll shove a lossless image (or part of an image) to the client so it's pixel perfect. Silver bullet if there is any small text involved. Would be perfect for games like Hex, XCom, Disgaea, etc. that aren't consistently moving. As it stands, even gamestream on full blast has issues with thin text, like the default text on these forums will always come off as muddy in the h.264 standards everyone is using.

EDIT: I should note I got Hex running up on an Nvidia GRID Desktop as a Service PCoIP as a test for a server farm I had designed/managed - was a better test than running Borderlands (which was the go-to demo at the time), worked REALLY well even when I was a few hundred miles away from the server farm. Couldn't rely on using it though as the farm was more for autocad, etc. so Hex was a demo only, but man did I want to spin up a dedicated DaaS for Hex so I could play it on my tablet on the road.

poptasticboy
01-24-2016, 06:13 PM
I use a steam controller a lot of the time for Hex, works fine for me. I've even set up one button to zoom to the charge power when I press it, so I have myself a charge power shortcut. Same for a button to zoom to select the opposing champion. It saves me having to scroll the curser all the way over to them manually :-D

Thoom
01-24-2016, 07:24 PM
Well if someone is going to drop money on a streamer and they have an Nvidia GPU on their machines, as much as I dislike shilling for them, Nvidia's gamestream can't be beat.

I have the Steam Link and the Shield TV. Generally, the Link has been the more hassle-free of the two (GameStream has never been able to wake my PC correctly, and often fails to connect even when both devices are turned on until I go through an arcane and utterly un-reproducible series of reboots and re-logins), though obviously the Shield has more functionality outside of game streaming. Steam's in-home streaming has an option to use NVENC if you have an nVidia GPU, so there should be basically no difference in performance.

I use a steam controller a lot of the time for Hex, works fine for me. I've even set up one button to zoom to the charge power when I press it, so I have myself a charge power shortcut. Same for a button to zoom to select the opposing champion. It saves me having to scroll the curser all the way over to them manually :-D

Are you using AutoHotKey or similar to do this? As far as I can tell, there's no way to map a Steam controller button to move the mouse to a specific place.

fido_one
01-24-2016, 07:54 PM
I have the Steam Link and the Shield TV. Generally, the Link has been the more hassle-free of the two (GameStream has never been able to wake my PC correctly, and often fails to connect even when both devices are turned on until I go through an arcane and utterly un-reproducible series of reboots and re-logins), though obviously the Shield has more functionality outside of game streaming. Steam's in-home streaming has an option to use NVENC if you have an nVidia GPU, so there should be basically no difference in performance.

Are you using AutoHotKey or similar to do this? As far as I can tell, there's no way to map a Steam controller button to move the mouse to a specific place.

Typing from phone, didn't know the NVEC bit haven't kept up as of late will try tmrw. Agree with connection woes, actually gotten worse as they've refined. Still think gamestream is on top but there is a lot of bias on my end being in on the early days of GRID.

Thanks for the info, God miss a few months and I go back to being a luddite.

Mr.Funsocks
01-24-2016, 11:14 PM
So, spent today playing with my Steam Controller again. Works like a charm - launches from Big Picture fine, accepts the steam controller rebindings and saves the profile, etc. Took a bit to figure out the right key layout. I'm curious what you used mouse region for Thoom, I was considering using it for the hand, but I haven't tried it yet. Ordered my Steam Link, if this works it will revolutionize my cuddling of the new puppy!

Thoom
01-25-2016, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the info, God miss a few months and I go back to being a luddite.

Not your fault. Valve is moving very fast with this stuff. In the last month or so they implemented NVENC and added 5.1 audio support, and are preparing an API for 3rd party app support as well as support for tunneling USB devices (so you could plug in a USB device to the Link and have it as if it was plugged into your computer). It's pretty crazy, and I hope they keep it up.

I've been generally impressed with nVidia's commitment to updating their shield stuff, but Valve is blowing me away at the moment.

I'm curious what you used mouse region for Thoom, I was considering using it for the hand, but I haven't tried it yet. Ordered my Steam Link, if this works it will revolutionize my cuddling of the new puppy!

I started with it on hand, and it was kind of useful, but Fitt's Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27s_law) means the hand area is pretty easy to hit regardless.

I'm thinking about switching it up to be the whole screen and using it as sort of a shortcut to various areas. Get to the right general area with the left thumb, then refine with the right, or so the theory goes. Definitely an area where further experimentation is warranted. If you find something really comfortable, let me know!

poptasticboy
01-25-2016, 12:38 PM

You can assign Mouse Regions now. I've assigned the left pad to a mouse region that corresponds to the charge power. All I have to do is press the left pad and it jumps to and selects the charge power.

So I've got mouse control on the right pad (press to left click), charge power on the left pad (press to left click)
Right and left mouse buttons on the triggers.
Left bumper is pass all priorities, right bumper is attack with all troops.
Left squeeze is pass priority.
Right squeeze is a modifier that changes the left pad's region from charge power to opposing champion - So by squeezing that I have a short-cut to target the opposing champion using the left pad.
Right arrow is Escape
Left arrow is cancel pass priority.
Joystick is assigned to the scroll wheel (it might be useful occasionally, couldn't think what else to assign to it)
ABX & Y aren't really in use - I am planning to add Alt + Tab somewhere though to make switching to Browser/Spreadsheet or whatever easier.
Not using Gyro for anything currently.

Thoom
01-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Ah, OK. I thought you were somehow assigning these things to face buttons.

Right now I'm using left pad as a whole screen mouse region, right pad as a mouse for detail work.
Left and Right triggers for Right and Left click, also set to suppress mouse movement during soft pull to stop clicks from accidentally turning into drags.
A = Pass Priority, B = Cancel Pass Priority, X = Menu (Esc), Y = Attack With All
Start = Skip Turn (F10), Select = Skip to End Phase (F8)

Not using the grips or bumpers at the moment.

My bindings prioritize not accidentally doing anything that might screw me over (e.g. accidentally F10ing or skipping my attack phase), and making it easy/instinctive to recover if I do, which is why I'm not using the grips. Too easy to accidentally activate.

Hopefully these bindings can become more full featured in the future when Valve adds new options.