PDA

View Full Version : AI Hype!

LNQ
01-24-2016, 12:03 AM
AI should be significantly improved with campaign. Here's a comment on reddit regarding the AI:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hextcg/comments/429p5l/will_there_be_strong_ai_in_pve/cz8s4mh

Zophie
01-24-2016, 12:27 AM
I think it's a lot better; we finally got a large chunk of time to concentrate on nothing else.

As a somewhat frivolous statistic, according to our source control the AI folder was on revision 75 on 10/27 2015 (which is what was sent with the last patch to live). It's currently on rev 210 for the campaign patch. So, that's 75 code revisions in 3 years followed by 135 in 3 months.

Note that code revision numbers like that just mean someone touched anything in that area. There are 20 revisions when we switched over messaging between the rules engine and the client alone. It doesn't necessarily mean rev 210 is "three times as good". It also doesn't mean it isn't. It just means that's where a lot of focus and work went.

Anyhow, I think it's going to be a lot more fun to interact with. Looking forward to what people have to say about it.

This is cool to hear, I can't wait to get in there and check out how it has progressed!

Artifaction
01-24-2016, 12:36 AM
I'm feelin the hype too! Hopefully no more removal aimed at Workerbots when my Megahulks in play - or even their own troops when I don't have any, and summoning hasty troops that die at the end of turn after combat or making their own troops unable to block on their turn - again sometimes after combat. On the one hand the games very complicated and while it's possible given the limited card pool you could make an AI that would always win when able it wouldn't nec. be as fun, it would eliminate the need for artificially increasing the difficulty level by giving the AI an extra turn or starting with buffed health. Ideally there would be at least one AI for any deck archetype that would counter it and have players be more dynamic which is a great thing, but with the Arena setup the way it has been being countered this way just penalized players for having bad luck.

wolzarg
01-24-2016, 12:52 AM
More likely a bug than a feature but the way the ai will sometimes swing with nothing to back it up but within range of one of its tricks and other times have exactly the one thing that would break the block messes with my head. Its almost certainly unintentional but it really reminds me of players bluffing and makes it much harder to decide to block or not.

Gwaer
01-24-2016, 01:01 AM
That doesn't seem like it should be a bug at all. Bluffing is part of the game, always knowing that the AI doesn't bluff would be a huge disadvantage for it.

wolzarg
01-24-2016, 01:48 AM
That doesn't seem like it should be a bug at all. Bluffing is part of the game, always knowing that the AI doesn't bluff would be a huge disadvantage for it.
I guess I'm just cranky and bitter from the times when it used to slam everything it had into you for no good reason. I actually hope you are right because that means the AI is really getting sharp i would rather have it waste a creature now and then and make me sweat the block than to never do that.

bootlace
01-24-2016, 03:33 AM
I would say the AI's capabilities is the single most important factor determining the long term potential of PvE so very interested to see the progress made.

incitfulmonk21
01-24-2016, 04:36 AM
More likely a bug than a feature but the way the ai will sometimes swing with nothing to back it up but within range of one of its tricks and other times have exactly the one thing that would break the block messes with my head. Its almost certainly unintentional but it really reminds me of players bluffing and makes it much harder to decide to block or not.

Actually it is just certain troops like shamed gladiator and shield trainer that attack regardless of the situation. Once you memorize which troops always attack it is easy to tell when the AI has a combat trick or not.

incitfulmonk21
01-24-2016, 04:37 AM

Actually it is just certain troops like shamed gladiator and shield trainer that attack regardless of the situation. Once you memorize which troops always attack it is easy to tell when the AI has a combat trick or not.

Both KG and Neo have said the AI has greatly improved so that is indeed good news to hear!