PDA

View Full Version : [PvE spoilers] RPGFan report from press event

Vorsa
01-24-2016, 11:11 AM
A lovely written piece:
http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/HEX_Shards_of_Fate/

"I'll be straight with you — after six hours of talking to the devs, I could write about this game far more than you'd want to read. Previews like this are the place for optimism and enthusiasm, and I have those in spades, as do they. The Hex team really, really cares about what they're doing, and they have as many ideas for what to do in the future as they've got things that are already in the game (or coming out this week). Talking with them reminded me of why I love games and why every kid who grows up loving games wants to make them at some point. As a result, I have pages and pages of notes about cool stuff and no good way to transition from thing to thing. So I'm going to jump from topic to topic for a bit here, and I hope you'll indulge me on that."

Also visit the gallery as there are some press kit pics I haven't seen elsewhere yet:
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/HEX_Shards_of_Fate/?t=0&p=1

## Thank you mods for fixing title :)

fido_one
01-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Article is great. I will admit a certain degree of frustration in the 'you have to have a hard mode' bits in the threads since the announcement, and this:

But there's something lost in the fun of a strategic game if you can simply go out to a forum somewhere and read instructions on which cards to play each turn to exploit an enemy's weaknesses, and the Hex team is trying to avoid that as well by having the game watch for the same set of cards repeating itself against a particular AI and from that watching, learn how to deal better with that specific pattern. They don't want the AI to become unbeatable, because that's not fun either; they just don't want the PvE campaign to become a matter of rote repetition. That said, as I mentioned earlier, there are optional battles that are brutally difficult for higher-level players looking for a challenge. The devs even mentioned that there is one battle none of them have found a way to beat yet, because they know that the players are sure to be better at the game than they are.

Will hopefully calm those detractors from filibustering a 'hard mode' until after they've gone through the content.

Poetic
01-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Indeed a great article, I like how positive all these reviews have been, especially from people not really familiar with the game and not regulars of TCGs in general. Hope HXE can continue to reach new players this way and build upon this awesome game for us all.

Metronomy
01-24-2016, 11:36 AM
I quote:

The devs even mentioned that there is one battle none of them have found a way to beat yet, because they know that the players are sure to be better at the game than they are.

For me thats the best news so far^^. Looking forward to it.

edit: I heard the QA team has beaten every encounter including this one but I was told that some encounters are indeed very hard to beat.

wolzarg
01-24-2016, 12:31 PM
Can't imagine that will stand up long once it is revealed honestly.

Mejis
01-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks for posting. That's one of the best articles I've seen, especially coming from a tcg newbie. Very well written, lots of accurate information.

Mejis
01-24-2016, 12:35 PM
I quote:

The devs even mentioned that there is one battle none of them have found a way to beat yet, because they know that the players are sure to be better at the game than they are.

For me thats the best news so far^^. Looking forward to it.

edit: I heard the QA team has beaten every encounter including this one but I was told that some encounters are indeed very hard to beat.

Is this the piranha battle that was mentioned in one of the other articles?
Regardless, very exciting to know there are such hardcore battles. I hope there's some epic loot and/means of showing off you've beaten it.

Xenavire
01-24-2016, 12:45 PM
Can't imagine that will stand up long once it is revealed honestly.

By the sounds of it, it will be the white whale of PvE (at least this first part.) If 1% can do it, 99% still have something to aspire to.

wolzarg
01-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Thats fair enough i do actually hope they spoil at least which encounter it is prior to release so the people who want to can go for that extra achievement.

Prominis
01-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Pray for unlockable character arts. Some of the current ones are just... a tad iffy, in my opinion. Human warrior especially.

That said, it's strange to see that both Elf Warrior arts depict Elves who are nervous or unsure in their expression and/or body language, despite the description saying they have "spent centuries perfecting their skills".

Vorsa
01-24-2016, 01:06 PM
Pray for unlockable character arts. Some of the current ones are just... a tad iffy, in my opinion. Human warrior especially.

That said, it's strange to see that both Elf Warrior arts depict Elves who are nervous or unsure in their expression and/or body language, despite the description saying they have "spent centuries perfecting their skills".

It has been confirmed that the press built was 4 weeks old, and those pics are from the press kit provided - which itself is a mix of even older builds (e.g. some of them have a UI with the gem restrictions & portrait the wrong way round) - so there's hope that some of the art in them has subsequently been replaced. :)

WolfCrypt
01-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Perfecting your art for 200 years and fighting are two totally different things.

wolzarg
01-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Perfecting your art for 200 years and fighting are two totally different things.
#warishell

Prominis
01-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Yes, but the next line after that implies that said 'art' was combat: "They are experts at carving foes to pieces with a rapier and a few flicks of the wrist."

I see the character art and assume that they're a novice, heck, I thought that the female art was the mage art initially and that was a wand/stave in their hands. It doesn't exactly project the image of confidence or talent, unless evolving arts are still in (though I'd much rather they provide a few different pieces of art for us to choose from).

CGOOnline
01-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Also from the article: "When you win battles, you get new cards and gold, of course, but you also get gems and equipment" (emphasis mine).

Is the author talking about the standard gems we can socket now or are we now getting new gems as loot from PvE?

WolfCrypt
01-24-2016, 06:32 PM
Also from the article: "When you win battles, you get new cards and gold, of course, but you also get gems and equipment" (emphasis mine).

Is the author talking about the standard gems we can socket now or are we now getting new gems as loot from PvE?

Maybe socket gems we can only earn in PVE and are not in our collection till we win em? They might mistake gems for Stardust.

wolzarg
01-25-2016, 12:20 AM
Stardust seems most likely as we haven't heard anything about loot drop gems from anyone else.

Maylick
01-25-2016, 12:21 AM
This can also refer to class Gems, unlocked at lvl 8.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 04:53 AM

Where does that info come from? :confused:

Mejis
01-25-2016, 04:54 AM

Class gems??? [Zoidberg] what is?

Darion
01-25-2016, 04:57 AM
Look at the spoiled Warrior skill tree, directly below the text "Level 7". That might be the gems they refer to. Or there are more of them, found in dungeons?

Maylick
01-25-2016, 04:58 AM
Where does that info come from? :confused:

From all the people in the world I would never think you would ask that)
http://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Hex_WarriorTalentTreePreview_WebSize.jpg

Just under lvl 7 section, center.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 05:01 AM
Look at the spoiled Warrior skill tree, directly below the text "Level 7". That might be the gems they refer to. Or there are more of them, found in dungeons?

But thats in the second part of the talent tree - we are absolutely only getting the first part - clearly the level you unlock the next portion has changed, and neither the Cleric or the Mage have class gems.

Evilgm
01-25-2016, 05:02 AM
It's likely that those gems have been moved to the second tier, and thus won't be available at launch. The old Warrior preview had the level cap at 25, and thus unlocks at 7/15 instead of the new cap of 30 with unlocks at 10 and 20 (which won't be available at launch).

Maylick
01-25-2016, 05:04 AM
But thats in the second part of the talent tree - we are absolutely only getting the first part - clearly the level you unlock the next portion has changed, and neither the Cleric or the Mage have class gems.

They still can refer to that as a future rewards. There is some clarification needed about articles, you know that.

As well as you know that people now gonna assume that Cleric and Mage don't have Class gems at all, not that they didn't been spoilered yet. :)

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 05:07 AM
They still can refer to that as a future rewards. There is some clarification needed about articles, you know that.

As well as you know that people now gonna assume that Cleric and Mage don't have Class gems at all, not that they didn't been spioled yet. :)

Well yes, we can assume if one class gets gems eventually, they all will, but by the same logic, if two aren't getting them at launch, then none of them are.

And here was me thinking some report of class gems not being a talent had come out.

Maylick
01-25-2016, 05:08 AM
I believe Warriors not getting them either. It will be chapter 2 feature.

ossuary
01-25-2016, 05:34 AM
For those wondering about the very difficult PVE encounter, trust me, you'll know it when you see it. :p

wolzarg
01-25-2016, 05:46 AM
Can you give us any specifics or are talking like a million health obvious?

Showsni
01-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Ha, I noticed one of the created characters in their gallery was named "Xenavire."

LargoLaGrande
01-25-2016, 06:48 AM
For those wondering about the very difficult PVE encounter, trust me, you'll know it when you see it. :p

Will we know it because its still Xarlox?

redman2112
01-25-2016, 06:51 AM
Can you give us any specifics or are talking like a million health obvious?

I don't think it has anything to do with health total primarily but more with what your objective is. I remember Cory saying in the PCGamer interview that there were different objectives sometimes than just beating your opponent like surviving 20 turns or beating your opponent by turn 3. These would be the categories for the really difficult encounters.

wolzarg
01-25-2016, 07:10 AM
I was using an absurd example of something that would be obviously hard, to make a point. I want to make a serious commitment to be one of the first at beating this thing so lets say there are 3 different encounters that are very hard some of them take a hour or two to beat and one is yet to be beaten i don't want to spend those 4 hours bashing my head against the other two only to find out that wasn't it.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 07:14 AM
Will we know it because its still Xarlox?

Xarlox is a cakewalk. Infuriating, but not actually very hard.

Koz
01-25-2016, 07:36 AM

He's only a cakewalk in the sense that the AI isn't smart. For Xarlox though there's just too much RNG involved for him to truly be classified as a cakewalk. Sometimes he's very easy, other times utterly impossible, and in most situations I feel like I don't have enough control over the outcome. I hope there are a lot less AI opponents that are so heavily RNG driven in the campaign, and are instead challenging in a more rewarding fashion.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 07:39 AM
The deck I use for arena has consistently beaten him, ignoring god or severe mull hands. It is very rare for me not to beat him on the first attempt these days, even with the improved AI.

I fully expect there to be much, much harder fights in the future.

Koz
01-25-2016, 07:52 AM
The deck I use for arena has consistently beaten him, ignoring god or severe mull hands. It is very rare for me not to beat him on the first attempt these days, even with the improved AI.

I fully expect there to be much, much harder fights in the future.

Whoa there, take it easy Arena champ ;) Yeah, there are certain decks that can regularly wreck the Arena (I'm looking at you Slaughtergear deck), but that doesn't change what I said from being true. We can't evaluate an AI opponent only from the perspective of the absolute highest end decks, because many, many players do not have access to the required cards to make such decks.

So yeah, if I want to smack Xarlox in his mouth, I'll load up the Slaughtergear deck or some other really fast and powerful deck (mono Ruby Orcs, Burrowing Leacher deck, etc) and go trounce him. But if I want to play something that isn't the best, most efficient clearing deck (you know, for fun), then playing Xarlox is exactly as I described: an RNG fest that is ungodly infuriating to play against. Beatable? Yes? Well designed? Not IMO. Too much RNG.

If there are "much harder fights" in the future, that's fine by me, as long as it isn't "much harder" because of nonsense RNG, and is instead difficult because the AI is smart, and the deck is tough.

DocX
01-25-2016, 07:58 AM

Xarlox is a coin flip. The difficulty stems from whether Xarlox flips heads or tails.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Xarlox is a coin flip. The difficulty stems from whether Xarlox flips heads or tails.

For me it usually doesn't matter what he flips. He just needs to roll well on his D20 to get me.

Yoss
01-25-2016, 08:01 PM

If the mega battle is a coin flip, it's only because you brought coins with you. ;)