PDA

View Full Version : PVE Overview (Ben Stoll article)

Rendakor
01-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Not sure why we don't have a thread for this wonderful infodump from Ben.

http://en.hex.gameforge.com/news.html?p=5166

Phenteo
01-25-2016, 01:37 PM
We're editing the layout of the post a little on our end first.

Rendakor
01-25-2016, 01:40 PM
Ah, alright. Could we get the picture that Ben mentioned but doesn't seem included, showing the deck restrictions at level 9?

WolfCrypt
01-25-2016, 02:22 PM
6 minus 1 is 5 minus 2 is 3. So three public dungeons and 1 per faction? Well this means regardless what you pick you get 4 dungeons to play with. Plus unlike most mmos where dungeons are the main thing of PVE this strikes me as being niche while overworld being main thing. So I'm not as downed as I read initially regarding the amount of dungeons.

Zophie
01-25-2016, 02:29 PM
6 minus 1 is 5 minus 2 is 3.

Half Life 3 confirmed

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 02:30 PM
6 minus 1 is 5 minus 2 is 3. So three public dungeons and 1 per faction? Well this means regardless what you pick you get 4 dungeons to play with. Plus unlike most mmos where dungeons are the main thing of PVE this strikes me as being niche while overworld being main thing. So I'm not as downed as I read initially regarding the amount of dungeons.

Which MMO's do you play? When levelling, the overworld is always the bulk of the experience, and only near the level cap are dungeons brought heavily into the focus. Even FF14 (which I have been enjoying this last month) has only a short amount of time spent in dungeons, and that game forces you to do some while leveling.

That said, I don't think the dungeons will disappoint.

Alsedrech
01-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Great article. Glad the bucket is built (and built well by the look of it).

Koz
01-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Wow, really good info! HYPE!!!!

WolfCrypt
01-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Which MMO's do you play? When levelling, the overworld is always the bulk of the experience, and only near the level cap are dungeons brought heavily into the focus. Even FF14 (which I have been enjoying this last month) has only a short amount of time spent in dungeons, and that game forces you to do some while leveling.

A lot of Anime MMOs the overworld just picking dungeons and their the bulk Grand Chase Dungeon Fighter Dragon Saga etc.

Rendakor
01-25-2016, 03:20 PM

I haven't played in an expansion or so, but in WoW there are dungeons from the mid-teens to cap. How viable that is as a leveling strategy depends on your spec (because queues), but to say that MMOs don't incorporate dungeons into the leveling experience is silly.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 03:24 PM
I haven't played in an expansion or so, but in WoW there are dungeons from the mid-teens to cap. How viable that is as a leveling strategy depends on your spec (because queues), but to say that MMOs don't incorporate dungeons into the leveling experience is silly.

My point was that every MMO has a huge emphasis on overworld play (making dungeons almost always optional.) This is true in WoW (you can use dungeons to level the entire way, or use them to supplement your experience, or not use them at all) and most MMO's subscribe to this philosophy. As I said, the main focus only switches to dungeon and raid content after you hit the level cap (where it is nearly impossible to progress without doing dungeons.)

Zophie
01-25-2016, 04:05 PM
You both are right, for your own reasons stated.

WolfCrypt
01-25-2016, 04:15 PM
The article seems fine to me

(Edited cuz not paying attention))

Mejis
01-25-2016, 07:07 PM
Great article Ben, thanks.

So much hype!
Why does the final wait always feel the hardest?
And why hasn't The Witness released today on my day off so I could at least spend some time in there before this? ;)

Yoss
01-25-2016, 09:19 PM
It's always great to hear your thoughts, Ben. Thank you. Now, about that voice acting. I really hope they snared you for at least a few of the NPC voices!

WolfCrypt
01-25-2016, 10:30 PM
It's always great to hear your thoughts, Ben. Thank you. Now, about that voice acting. I really hope they snared you for at least a few of the NPC voices!

Wait... WHAT???? NPCs are VOICED?!

RCDv57
01-25-2016, 11:44 PM

No.
During the first stream of frostring arena Ben was reading the text and he did a good job.

WolfCrypt
01-25-2016, 11:49 PM
Oh right forgot bout that...

Yoss
01-29-2016, 04:44 PM

Sadly, no, but Ben did a reading of Hogarth for the FRA release that made me crave more good voice acting and having it in the game. I think the main hurdle is probably localization. :(