PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion...

Cory_Jones
01-25-2016, 02:40 PM
I've played the PVE content a BUNCH and tried all manner of goofy collection combinations (from everything to nothing), trying to really get a feel for each of the different types of players expected experience.

I recommend (for your first play through) to give JUST the starter cards a try, and build up your deck with the rewards you receive only. It really creates a fun progression experience, and you will always have the time later to dominate with your powerful collection :)

just a heads up to the hardcore...

love, cory

Alsedrech
01-25-2016, 02:42 PM
That's the plan. Really looking forward to it! And I don't even think of myself as a PvE player.

Mejis
01-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Hi Cory,

This is absolutely my plan! But thanks for posting it. Hope others do the same.

Will it be easy for us to see/filter only those cards? Do we rely on the "NEW" icon for this, or is there another way?

Soooooo hyped. Like 1millionKb!

PS can't wait for your "what's next" article ;)
Do you have an announcement about when that'll be announced? ;)

Flairina
01-25-2016, 02:43 PM
We shall see. It's definitely something to try. :)

KingGabriel
01-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Nah i'm loading up my deck with the strongest cards - zodiac shaman, all in the family, baby yeti - and you can't stop me!

Alsedrech
01-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Nah i'm loading up my deck with the strongest cards - zodiac shaman, all in the family, baby yeti - and you can't stop me!

Well...technically the shard restrictions per race can stop you. :) Also I read somewhere that there is a specific baby yeti limit until you are level 12.

Reeplay
01-25-2016, 02:47 PM

^^^I agree

---
If there is a way to see just the starter cards then I shall give it a go because I see it being very fun but if I have to spend time finding out what I should and shouldn't have then I'm afraid i'll use my whole collection because I would prefer to play the game

Metronomy
01-25-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the advise Cory but I will probably do it the other way around. I will play through with different chars for sure but my first run probably will be a race to the finish (altough I probably will read through everything). Thats not necessarily bad though. I see it as a challenge. After that there probably will be runs where I will try out the new player experience. I am actualy interested to see how hard or easy it is to start with nothing (just as a beginner would).

Cory_Jones
01-25-2016, 02:48 PM
at first its very easy, you simple start with the pre-made deck, after that you simple keep track of what cards you've earned. it will be pretty clear when you earn them if its something you want for your deck... because you will be excited! MORE REMOVAL FUCK YES!!!

Bombs
But what about my Zodiac Shaman/Paladin of Nagaan deck....?

Jormungandr
My plan is to mostly do this, but to probably swap decks around for variety, too. We'll see. Definitely worth doing the "newbie experience" at least once. Whether that's my first playthrough of the campaign or not is maybe a different discussion.

nicosharp
01-25-2016, 02:49 PM
I have a feeling the starting cards, and cards earned are not bad at all for progression. Commons/Uncommons often get bad stigmas associated to them anyway. I mean, even if we did run 35 card single copy rare decks, where is the fun in that, unless you have some campaign highlander achievement? Equipment being associated to a card, is better when there are more copies of the card in the deck, so starter commons might be a natural choice.

Koz
01-25-2016, 02:53 PM
Does the game indicate in some way what has been earned unlocked through playing so that you can tell it apart from your existing collection? I'm just thinking that after a few rewards I may not remember what I've received through playing in the campaign and what I already had in my collection (new PvE cards will be easy, but existing PvP cards would not).

Cory_Jones
01-25-2016, 02:54 PM
not at this point Koz, but it pretty easy to keep track as you play

Koz
01-25-2016, 02:56 PM
not at this point Koz, but it pretty easy to keep track as you play

Alright then, I'll give it a shot! :)

Cernz
01-25-2016, 02:57 PM
I can feel the hype :) <3 cory

knightofeffect
01-25-2016, 02:59 PM
Yep, this is the plan. Mainly because I'm going to try and push every friend I have one last time to dive into Hex with every ounce of shameless pandering I can muster. I love the deck restrictions the most as it should keep us all theorycrafting on the same page, especially by just sticking to the earned cards.

WolfCrypt
01-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Haha Corey I plan on making my decks be nothing but PVE cards earned in Campaign.

Thoom
01-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Time to bust out the alt account and see Hex through the eyes of all my friends whose throats I'm about to shove this game down. :)

fido_one
01-25-2016, 03:25 PM
I'll admit that I've already started to construct decks off of Hex TCG Browser/ Builder in anticipation of the campaign... But maybe the OP is right? I don't know, though. Does the OP have a full collection? Do they have any idea how much I want to throw my collection at the dungeons? Remember everyone, NO ONE KNOWS how good the campaign is until after it is launched, so I'd take these suggestions from the community with a grain of salt until we try it.

Still, I like the OP's other posts, so I'll follow his recommendation. This one time.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 03:29 PM
While this is tempting, I am not sure if I would enjoy that much - I like to surround myself with the tools and cards that fit my role and make me feel comfortable in that position, and as I am sincerely considering going a mono-wild elf cleric, I may just not have enough cards from the campaign fast enough to satisfy my needs.

Angsar
01-25-2016, 03:31 PM
I respect this suggestion but there is not even a cory jones on this world that will interrupt my 300+ cards (if possible) jank bot, pippit and all rares / legendaries copies they let me play.

There just is no way I am not going to have a deck that is no match the other alike.
There's too much fun in it.
TOO MUCH FUN!

I've played the PVE content a BUNCH and tried all manner of goofy collection combinations (from everything to nothing), trying to really get a feel for each of the different types of players expected experience.

I recommend (for your first play through) to give JUST the starter cards a try, and build up your deck with the rewards you receive only. It really creates a fun progression experience, and you will always have the time later to dominate with your powerful collection :)

love, cory

Stuie
01-25-2016, 03:36 PM

love, cory

This was definitely my plan all along. I like the challenge of starting fresh. :D

ryuukan
01-25-2016, 03:36 PM
First I have to park my Slaughtergears in the garage now this

do I gotta tell the sky mages and beast callers to go home

Rycajo
01-25-2016, 03:39 PM
By the end of the day tomorrow (if not today), I assume someone will have shared a google doc spreadsheet that will make it convenient to track cards earned in the campaign.

I am not that person, but someone will probably do it. And I will happily use some such device to track this.

fido_one
01-25-2016, 03:40 PM
I respect this suggestion but there is not even a cory jones on this world that will interrupt my 300+ cards (if possible) jank bot, pippit and all rares / legendaries copies they let me play.

There just is no way I am not going to have a deck that is no match the other alike.
There's too much fun in it.
TOO MUCH FUN!

Joking aside, we've been waiting 3 years for this. As I said somewhere else, I'm not worried about 'amount of content' as I don't plan on dying anytime soon and HexEnt will deliver on consistent PvE (and PvP) rotations at some point, probably in the very near future. I want to throw my collection at it sure, but there will be plenty of time for me to do that, as while I know they'll start releasing things more regularly, it won't be fast enough after this patch if anything I am reading is even remotely true.

It's like a vintage wine rack filled with the same year of super rare wine you've invested in and have been waiting forever to open at the right moment, why pour the first bottle you pop into a bowl and gulp it down? Sip it, then after you savor the taste in the right meter...

...chug the other bottles, one after another, like someone dropped a quarter in them when you weren't looking.

IronPheasant
01-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Would have preferred it if you had engineered the card collection to be per-campaign, with universal access at max level or something. Huge fan of collection progress from zilch, and to be blunt it's extremely unlikely leveling the character will matter as much as leveling up the deck, this being a card game and all.

Eh well.

dogmod
01-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Would have preferred it if you had engineered the card collection to be per-campaign, with universal access at max level or something. Huge fan of collection progress from zilch, and to be blunt it's extremely unlikely leveling the character will matter as much as leveling up the deck, this being a card game and all.

Eh well.

The complaining would have been massive.

Thoom
01-25-2016, 03:47 PM

Given some of the talents in the later tiers of the Warrior tree, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Rycajo
01-25-2016, 03:47 PM
The complaining would have been massive.

I agree forcing such a thing on someone is pretty rough. Though some way to sort by "cards acquired by the current champion" or some such mechanic would be really nice.

Svenn
01-25-2016, 03:53 PM
This should be a challenge mode. Self found. Create a new character and progress only using cards obtained with that character. Access to the rest of your collection is cut off. :-D

McCloud68
01-25-2016, 03:53 PM
First I have to park my Slaughtergears in the garage now this

do I gotta tell the sky mages and beast callers to go home

I feel the same way. I just spent 12+ months earning cards in Arena and from packs to just let them now collect dust? Blasphemy I say! And a touch of Heresy most likely as well. Off with Cory's head!

Clawdius
01-25-2016, 03:57 PM
This should be a challenge mode. Self found. Create a new character and progress only using cards obtained with that character. Access to the rest of your collection is cut off. :-D

Like an optional challenge rewarded with an AA or a sleeve if you get to a certain point in the campaign without adding anything that isn't a reward? I'd be down for that, maybe make it where there was one Ardent and one Underworld sleeve/AA so you could get them both with the free PVE starters if you were really dedicated to the idea.

Zophie
01-25-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm setting up my son with a new Hex account tonight so he'll be ready to dive in tomorrow after servers come up. It'll be interesting to see how he does as a brand new player, and I'm not giving him any cards or packs (at least not til later when I'm sure if he likes it or not). He's 11 and fairly new to TCGs, so it should be a good test for the tutorial and campaign to see how well it shows him how to play on his own without any help from me. I'll be his safety net if he's struggling but I'm going to really encourage him to figure out as much of it as he can on his own.

Vengus
01-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Interesting idea, but for me it will depend on the decks we are getting. Basic starters often lack the complexity of endgame decks. If the basic decks are fun and well-made I'll try this challenge, but if it consists of below the curve junk and bad combos I will quickly replace the decks with my own collection.

ryuukan
01-25-2016, 04:21 PM
I feel the same way. I just spent 12+ months earning cards in Arena and from packs to just let them now collect dust? Blasphemy I say! And a touch of Heresy most likely as well. Off with Cory's head!

please don't sit next to me

Lafoote
01-25-2016, 05:33 PM

In Everquest we used to call this "Naked day." My friends and I would each make a character and use only what we looted until level (X) which varied by expansion. Hex could implement a "Naked" mode where you do that as well.

Brjuntinaar
01-25-2016, 05:38 PM

Whoa...now that is a very cool idea. Add challenge mode, and a few special rewards that can only be obtained in challenge mode.

Xenavire
01-25-2016, 05:41 PM
Yes, hurry up and add more sand to our sandbox! (No really, hurry up before all the cats poop there.)

DataDragon
01-25-2016, 05:42 PM
I'd also like to suggest that everyone play with either headphones, or speakers turned up.
Do not miss out on the sounds in PvE. Make sure you have them enabled.
The audio is great, and surprising in just how immersive it can make the game.

thegreybetween
01-25-2016, 05:47 PM
I'd also like to suggest that everyone play with either headphones, or speakers turned up.

Thanks for the reminder. I've had the sound muted to listen to tunes while grinding Arena for ages, but had intended to hear the campaign. Will do!

I also intend to play "naked mode" for my main.

AswanJaguar
01-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Another naked Hexer here. At least for the first run through.

We should call ourselves streakers.

Thrawn
01-25-2016, 06:02 PM

That depends, if I leave my client open on a different monitor (like I tend to do almost 24/7) is it going to keep making random noises and such all the time when I'm not using it forcing me to mute it? :D

Eetabee
01-25-2016, 06:06 PM
I also intend to play sans pants.

fido_one
01-25-2016, 06:12 PM
Reconnected the KEF speaker system in my office and will be shutting the doors for optimal sound envelope tomorrow. Big dog is totally cool with that, small dog will be confused as he likes to occasionally wonder out of the office. He'll take the hit though, he's been waiting his whole life for PvE and has always been more interested in the sounds of Hex than the actual gameplay.

fido_one
01-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Yeah, he's on the fence about being shut-in the office tomorrow, big dog is on it, coaching him to be cool about it.

Cory_Jones
01-25-2016, 06:28 PM
DataDragon is correct, the sound is amazing!, I recommend highly playing with the sound

seashell
01-25-2016, 06:52 PM
i also intend to play sans pants.

1pkb hype!

funktion
01-25-2016, 07:00 PM

love, cory

Just now saw this thread. Thanks for the words of wisdom Cory and I gotta say that it speaks tons to me that you (and the rest of the team I hope) have also been able to enjoy playing through the content you created. That is awesome, you guys are rad, keep doing what you're doing!

Kami
01-25-2016, 07:01 PM
DataDragon is correct, the sound is amazing!, I recommend highly playing with the sound

Now you're making me want to rip sound effects and music to use as my phone ringtone and notification sounds.

In the meantime, I'll get to abuse the heck out of my Sound Blaster and high-end headphones.

wolzarg
01-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Ugh always suggesting things to enhance our experience, what a dicktator.

#1kB

Kami
01-25-2016, 07:44 PM
Ugh always suggesting things to enhance our experience, what a dicktator.

#1kB

No more hidden bosses for you. 1 year!

Thoom
01-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Now you're making me want to rip sound effects and music to use as my phone ringtone and notification sounds.

This is an amazing idea. I'm gonna make my SMS tone the Buccaneer "Aaarrrrghh".

GoryWriter
01-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Well, this is certainly an interesting idea. Not one I had considered at the start, but I'll give it a go! Might keep a journal handy or a Notepad document open to keep track of what I get.

As for playing with headphones: No problem here. They may not be the best quality (just some cheap Sony ones from a local Best Buy), but they get the job done.

dogmod
01-25-2016, 08:27 PM
A list of the 200 commons that are going to be given to each account would be useful to start creation of a document or notepad to keep track of what cards you start with.

Yoss
01-25-2016, 09:02 PM
...some way to sort by "cards acquired by the current champion" or some such mechanic would be really nice.
+1000

Also need to include that filter for equips and mercs, and any packs/chests plus their contents. I dunno though. It gets tricky if you ever go to the AH. How would you know which Gold is from your character versus just your main pile?

Saeijou
01-25-2016, 09:55 PM

Kingrags
01-26-2016, 12:55 AM
A list of the 200 commons that are going to be given to each account would be useful to start creation of a document or notepad to keep track of what cards you start with.

Agreed, As a friend of order i'd like to play with a spreadsheet up on my 2:nd display. This would help.

FoundInTheFlood
01-27-2016, 03:19 AM
How could we even track if we got some common card from PVE if we already own each card 4+ times?

Mejis
01-27-2016, 03:20 AM
How could we even track if we got some common card from PVE if we already own each card 4+ times?

A flashing "new" symbol will appear on the cards in the card manager, even if you already own multiple copies. But yes, it's not the easiest system to attempt this method if you already have a substantial collection.

Cainhu
01-27-2016, 03:29 AM
I also limit my decks to those cards I acquired with my champion as long as I can. On the other hand, the starters have many un-thematic cards, which is sad, and I hope I can replace them soon with cards gained from the campaign.

Ertzi
01-27-2016, 03:36 AM
I did this for a while, but I just could not have fun this way. I have all these tools and toys I have gathered for years for this exact purpose, and I know they are there, so every time I had to watch a Rigid Buffalo in my opening hand I died a little. So I added fun and thematic cards and now I am having a blast again. Finally there is a place where I can use wacky decks (Arena is not it until I can find and defeat Uruunaz)! Mind you, I did not add the best cards. I will leave a lot of room for improvement. If that "loading" text would just disappear so I can continue my journey :D

Kingrags
01-27-2016, 04:41 AM
I went with shin hare mage... and... I replaced a chunk of my deck rather quick becouse it was to hard. I will however let the deck grow from here with what I find.

Kamino72
01-27-2016, 05:12 AM

Why haven't you made such an hardcore pve mode ? There could be a scoring system and a ladder built on it to compare how fast we can level, sweap all dungeons, and so on.

This is my most wanted feature, by far ! True adventure !

K.

Kingrags
01-27-2016, 05:13 AM
Why haven't you made such an hardcore pve mode ? There could be a scoring system and a ladder built on it to compare how fast we can level, sweap all dungeons, and so on.

This is my most wanted feature, by far ! True adventure !

K.

I'd love that as well! gimmie! :)

Svenn
01-27-2016, 07:27 AM
I'm doing this right now as an Elf Mage. So far it's been a breeze mostly, but I'm not super far. I just made it past the bridge. I think I've only tossed 2 new cards in my deck so far. I'm hearing it gets way harder, so I can't wait for that!

Absolutely loving it though. Can't wait to try different race/class combos!

Daer
01-27-2016, 07:47 AM
Doing this with a Shin'hare cleric. Also only using Underworld or Neutral cards.

Zombii
01-27-2016, 07:58 AM
Well i want the naked(hard) mode too, because mi mind dont give me chance to use wort cards than i have, it is pure logic, so i want play with only card i get for heroe, but i see mi colection and i canot help mi self and build,what i always build :( so please, think about people who canot resist theyr mind and need a restriction to theyr power :D thank you very much and thank you for your work it is great game.

regomar
01-27-2016, 08:01 AM
+1000

Also need to include that filter for equips and mercs, and any packs/chests plus their contents. I dunno though. It gets tricky if you ever go to the AH. How would you know which Gold is from your character versus just your main pile?

This is really, REALLY needed. I've gotten extremely frustrated trying to keep rack of this by myself.

Kurposkano
01-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Super Cory Challenge - Only starter deck + Rewards. Take screenshots using OneNote to save and keep track. Very difficult but fun!

Yoss
01-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Yeah, knowing the baseline collection is essential to this entire idea. I can track which cards I earn, but it seems silly to ignore the other 165 cards I started with.

Jemy000
01-29-2016, 02:11 AM
Thought some people would like a report on the 'Cory Challenge.'

I started a naked vennen cleric and for the most part I've been really impressed with the experience. Relying on spiders to kill opponents (and the deck absolutely relies on spiders, there's basically no other damage sources) obviously introduces a lot of luck into the matchups, but with my high health and healing aura I haven't felt outclassed by most of the opponents.

I was lucky enough (I think? Maybe it's a fixed drop) to find boots for my Vilefang Eremites that put an egg into my opponent's deck when I gain health, and with the cleric abilities that has turned them into real MVPs. Some highly aggressive decks have taken several attempts to beat, but only one has felt unfair so far- Ambling Bluff. The Sea Hag was also overly difficult, but as a optional encounter it didn't bother me much.

However, reaching the gnome desert tonight has brought the game to an unforeseen low. Even the weakest worm encounters are virtually impossible with my scrounged deck, and that's before I fill it with crappy gnomes. But the real lameness comes from the fact that my character is trapped in the desert. If I were really a new player without strong cards to fall back on I would probably just ditch the game here. As it is, I'm annoyed that I'll need to break my self-imposed rules and build a powerhouse deck to escape... and then there's the decision as to whether I rebuild my crappy deck to continue the now broken challenge, or say "I tried" and move on with a real spider deck.

tldr- the campaign is awesome, and most of it has felt surprisingly well-balanced with my crappy vennen deck. Tough but fair. But the gnome desert is an epic fail. I'll report back more later if I decide to continue the challenge.

QuartZ
01-29-2016, 02:31 AM
Well, you can go back and leave the gnomes in their camp. Then you can pass without having to fight and try this quest later when you got more levels/cards

Evilgm
01-29-2016, 03:07 AM
Well, you can go back and leave the gnomes in their camp. Then you can pass without having to fight and try this quest later when you got more levels/cards

I think this is something that HexEnt should include in the next hotfix patch- a big notice on the quest text telling players they can return the gnomes to their camp

Daer
01-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Started a Necrotic Mage to do the challenge as well and man is it way better with an empty 2nd account, no keeping track of anything. If you have a card or equipment just use it. Much easy then with my Shin'Hare Cleric on my main account, trying to keep track of what is available to build with.

Vorpal
01-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Super Cory Challenge - Only starter deck + Rewards. Take screenshots using OneNote to save and keep track. Very difficult but fun!

The hardest part is keeping track of what you have gotten and what you are allowed to use!

A hardcore mode where you can only use things you've unlocked during the campaign would be fun :)

Svenn
01-29-2016, 07:38 AM
The hardest part is keeping track of what you have gotten and what you are allowed to use!

A hardcore mode where you can only use things you've unlocked during the campaign would be fun :)

Definitely want this as a mode! Self-found is always fun (it's also a thing in Diablo style hack and slash games).

I've been doing pretty well with this on my Elf Mage. The tracking is tough. I've been using my spreadsheet to track all my PvE rewards with locations so I can try and compile a list (has anyone started a community rewards/loot tracking thing yet?) and I've just been using PvE cards from that list. I didn't even bother trying to track PvP commons I'm getting, so I'm not using any of those.

Vorpal
01-29-2016, 07:50 AM
I've been doing the reverse, heh. I have few enough pve cards that I can instantly know if it was a 'new' one or an 'old' one, but I have to meticulously keep track of which pvp cards I'm allowed to use.

Raith
01-29-2016, 08:03 AM
So I managed to finish AZ1 last night as a human warrior using the starter deck and campaign rewards. Having all the cards and not using them was difficult. Cory’s advice to ignore my collection acquired over two years seemed crazy, but I figured why not. Overall, I think the campaign is pretty amazing. I was surprised at the variety in AI charge powers and loved how most of the fights felt very different. A lot of care and thought went into the design and I appreciated it.

Caveats to deck building:
- I tracked all my cards gained in a little notebook which was tedious, but felt old school.
- I have Dungeon Crawler so was getting double rewards. I don’t think the bonus XP skewed my levels much, but I couldn’t resist opening the extra packs. Is my resolve weak? Yes!!
- I started adding in some common equipment from my collection fairly early. My character was getting cold with no armor.
- Eventually, when I got to Killipede I started assuming I could buy commons with the gold I earned. I forget exactly, but I added in Inner Conflicts, Vanguard of Cerulea and Spiritbound Spies at various points. Might have been a few more, but not many.

The core of the human deck centered on phoenix guard trainers and the Protectorate Clergyman. I quickly subbed out buffalos for found cards and eventually replaced some of the more expensive cards to smooth out my curve. But all the way to the end, the inspire core of 3 drops remained.

Running from node to node was great fun. I got hung up a little trying to save a princess and some gnomes, but mostly it was pretty smooth. I certainly didn’t win all the fights, but as I went, I was finding cards and making my deck stronger. There were a handful of encounters I had to change out a bunch of cards to adapt to the challenge. The much maligned buffalos and mirthkin even had to come back in to get me through one encounter.

The dungeons are very well done. I love how the Tranquil Dream was simple in design as a taste of what was to come. I finished the first try, but a couple of the encounters were just barely decided in my favor. The other dungeons were cool in their own ways and I love the fact that we get to explore the dungeons and learn the encounters. This is where I think Cory’s challenge really paid off for me. With only a modified starter I had to run the 3rd dungeon a few times to figure it out. The chained goliath was fantastic. And then finally ramping up into the final dungeon where it really did feel like I was exploring a castle. Over multiple runs, I had to learn the best path for my deck, find optional encounters (of note here is that after beating an optional encounter my dungeon lives were set back to 3 with no in-game notice as far as I could tell) and also learn the fights. The inspire core of my deck started to show some strain in this dungeon since it wasn’t durable enough or fast enough. My biggest challenge was the second to last fight in the dungeon which I had to compensate for in my deck. So tweaks here and there were made. When I got to the final boss, he was tough but I think I got a little lucky winning on my second life. Even if I hadn’t though, I would have made more deck tweaks and jumped back in.

So Cory’s challenge was great fun for me. It made me really focus on the journey and not necessarily the rewards. I stopped thinking about collection value and just enjoyed the packs I won and the cards I opened. Two cards of exceptional note were adaptatron and morphology. I got two adaptatrons with the equipment that gives lifedrain. I’m not sure how I would have been able to finish without this guy, given how flexible and strong he can become. I loved him from the moment I found him. Morphology I got early and made a note of but didn’t put in my deck. Sure, I can get rid of a troop, but also give the AI an action which didn’t seem worth it at the time. As the encounters got tougher, I needed removal and looked over my notes. I remembered this card and thought it would be good. It actually was perfect since it’s a quick action, deals with threats of any size and even gets around nasty come into play effects. Would I have been excited about either of those cards if I was using my entire toolbox? I’m not sure. It turns out Cory’s advice really was crazy but also had a little bit of wisdom thrown in.

Did the whole adventure seem fair? Not always when I first did some encounters, but I think that’s great since it made me really think and adapt which was a lot of fun. It also makes me want to go back and do it again with a new character. At least for the next run, I’m using everything in my collection since the AI needs to be punished. But who knows, I might even run the Cory challenge again the run after that. The whole thing is close to genius in the execution. I’m not saying it’s perfect and others have made suggestions for improvements. There were some moments I got frustrated and almost gave in to the dark side of my collection. However, I’m sure HexEnt will continue to tweak it so that players joining the game (ones who lack collections and/or experience) will be able to enjoy the content to the fullest.

I trusted Cory and Ben way back during the kickstarter, and even just this portion of the campaign has reaffirmed that belief. Thanks to Cory and the whole Hex team for all their hard work. It all came together beautifully and I certainly look forward to everything in the months and years to come.

Yoss
01-29-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm having great fun with the Hermit Character Challenge (HCC) so far, playing as a coyotle cleric. I just cleared the Tranquil Dream dungeon (and all content that can be touched up to that point besides the piranhas). Having to track loot on a spreadsheet is a drag, though, and I have no clue what the other starter cards are for the other race/class combos so I'm just acting like they don't exist. I'm also avoiding Trade/AH to keep it "pure".

I will say that some fights have been hard enough that I'd think a TCG newbie would struggle pretty hard.

Tinfoil
01-29-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm having great fun with the Hermit Character Challenge (HCC) so far, playing as a coyotle cleric. I just cleared the Tranquil Dream dungeon (and all content that can be touched up to that point besides the piranhas). Having to track loot on a spreadsheet is a drag, though, and I have no clue what the other starter cards are for the other race/class combos so I'm just acting like they don't exist. I'm also avoiding Trade/AH to keep it "pure".

I will say that some fights have been hard enough that I'd think a TCG newbie would struggle pretty hard.

Somebody made a spreadsheet with the 200 cards. Adding spiritbound spy works pretty well with the coyotle cleric and in some challenges spearclif pegasus to get flying. I did a writeup of my experiences, but had computerproblems, so maybe later. But CC is strong - most things can be beaten with some luck.

Lafoote
01-29-2016, 11:25 AM
I had fun until the wormoids. Coyotle cleric starter is not really a match. It's not even mildly competitive. If I didn't have other cards to pull from, I'd probably have just abandoned the character.

Silvanos
01-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Somebody made a spreadsheet with the 200 cards. Adding spiritbound spy works pretty well with the coyotle cleric and in some challenges spearclif pegasus to get flying. I did a writeup of my experiences, but had computerproblems, so maybe later. But CC is strong - most things can be beaten with some luck.

Its also a deck on tcgbrowser.com. Just search "starter" and its the top deck.

Rendakor
01-29-2016, 12:48 PM
I had fun until the wormoids. Coyotle cleric starter is not really a match. It's not even mildly competitive. If I didn't have other cards to pull from, I'd probably have just abandoned the character.

As has been said, the wormoids are optional. If you can't handle them, go back to the camp and you can drop the gnomes all off then go do other things.

Miyordon
01-29-2016, 12:51 PM
I don't even care if something was barely beatable at all. I feel like this is the beginning, someday not too far off, your character will be level 30. The worms could be designed for level 20 talents. That would be cool.

Jemy000
01-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea. In that case I'll be abandoning the poor gnomes and continuing my challenge. It's also interesting hearing how other challenge players brought in some theoretically bought cards as they progressed. I'd been avoiding the idea in hopes of completing the whole campaign with only stuff I found, but maybe that's not feasible for the end game...

For now I'll continue as I have been. I'm excited to get back in the game now that I know my challenge isn't ruined.

knightofeffect
01-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea. In that case I'll be abandoning the poor gnomes and continuing my challenge. It's also interesting hearing how other challenge players brought in some theoretically bought cards as they progressed. I'd been avoiding the idea in hopes of completing the whole campaign with only stuff I found, but maybe that's not feasible for the end game...

For now I'll continue as I have been. I'm excited to get back in the game now that I know my challenge isn't ruined.

I was able to beat the center path of the wormiods with the Elf Mage under the challenge, but I only took 6 poor dwarfs with me. :P

Eilinel
01-29-2016, 03:55 PM
I was able to beat the center path of the wormiods with the Elf Mage under the challenge, but I only took 6 poor dwarfs with me. :P

Wow, nicely done! Any particularly strong reward cards you added to the deck for that? I managed to get past the wormoids with my challenge deck, along with the 9 gnomes I took with me, but then saw nothing I could do with them at the south camp and ended up just dropping them off back in the desert for now. It was tough beating those fights (cleared 1/2 on west path before getting frustrated, then after numerous attempts cleared the east path only to see nothing i could do to drop off my gnomes).

For now I'm just going to clear any other nodes I can, and probably farm the dungeons I have available for some better cards (as well as key common PVP cards that I probably have 30+ of in my collection, stuff like inner conflict and repel that I just haven't found in the campaign yet, and thus cannot use).

Overall I'm loving this challenge, it's definitely not going to be for everyone. Some encounters have taken a bit of patience and/or luck, while others I can see lots of solutions to that I just haven't received the cards needed. After getting through this, I know I'll feel a great sense of accomplishment... and then run another character through with my full collection and get revenge on some of these guys. :D

Yoss
01-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Somebody made a spreadsheet with the 200 cards.

Link would be wonderful. General forum is so full right now, I'm having a hard time finding the wheat for the chaff.

Peseto
01-29-2016, 05:13 PM
Link would be wonderful. General forum is so full right now, I'm having a hard time finding the wheat for the chaff.

Not a Spreadsheet, but I did post a list in another thread already:

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=47284&p=549412&viewfull=1#post549412

But I guess, I can post it here again:

Artifacts
2 Axe Bot
2 Infiltrator Bot
3 Pterobot
3 S.P.A.M. Bot
2 War Bot Bunker

Blood
3 Atrophy
2 Call the Grave
2 Corrupt Harvester
3 Darkspire Enforcer
2 Darkspire Priestess
3 Shadowgrove Witch
2 Throat Cutter
3 Zombie Vulture
3 Giant Mosquito
3 Killblade of the Milky Eye
2 Mazat Spearman
3 Neophyte of Xarlox
3 Abominate
3 Bloatcap
3 Gemsoul Feeder
2 Hatchery Priest
3 Hatchery Broodguard
2 Vicious Vivisector
2 Vilefang Eremite

Diamond
3 Bravery
2 Captain of the Dragon Guard
3 Diamond Aura
2 Noble Citizenry
3 Paladin of Naagaan
2 Protectorate Clergyman
3 Quick Strider
3 Rigid Buffalo
3 Shield Trainer
3 Spearcliff Pegasus
3 Bastion of Adamanth
3 Iljuni Mirthkin
2 Brightmoon Brave
2 Deepgaze Acolyte
3 Sepulchra Stalwart
2 Spiritbound Spy
3 Sun Seer

Ruby
3 Arena Brawler
3 Bloodcrazed Zealot
3 Bombsmith
3 Incite Fury
3 Ruby Aura
3 Savage Raider
2 War Machinist
2 Wrathseeker
3 Molten Slaggard
3 Emberleaf Duelist
2 Emberleaf Wardancer

Sapphire
3 Devoted Emissary
3 Oracle Song
2 Phoenix Guard Trainer
2 Researcher Adept
3 Sapphire Aura
3 Cavern Guard
2 Arachnomancer
2 Entangling Webs
3 Frigid Buffalo
3 Runeweb Infiltrator

Wild
3 Concubunny
3 Evolve
3 Glimmerglen Witch
3 Howling Brave
2 Tyrannosaurus Hex
3 Vine Trap
3 Wild Aura
3 Wild Child
2 Blossoming Concubunny
3 Bucktooth Bannerbunny
3 Manti Ranger
3 Stength of the Redwood
2 Surprise Runtgang
3 Caribaur Healer
2 Earthcaller
3 Lithe Lyricist
2 Merry Ministrels
2 Nightsky Stargazer
2 Rotroot Enchanter
2 Rune Ear Elite

Yoss
01-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Thanks, Peseto. I added your list into the Features List thread (not in the OP, just as an update/post).

sukebe
01-30-2016, 03:26 AM
Hey Cory, I hope you are still checking this thread now and again :-)

Just had a debate with someone in general chat and figured I would go to the source and see what you think:

When you say to start with the starter and use only the rewards you receive did you intend for people taking this challenge to ignore the gold they get? It seems to me the gold you get from the campaign is part of the rewards we recieve and feel it is not breaking the rules of this challenge to use that gold (and only the gold from campaign) to buy commons and uncommons in the auction house. Is my interpretation correct? Or did you intend for us to ignore the gold portion of our rewards?

jimmywolf
01-30-2016, 04:59 AM
gold would be a outside source as someone in a very rare case would be able buy a powerful card cheap that other would not have access to.

the gold in context of the challenge would be for the shaman buff only an am sure as the game goes on their be other things too spend it on.

Yoss
01-30-2016, 10:12 AM
So far, I've been avoiding the AH with my Hardcory character. I've been tracking the gold just in case I do change my mind, though.

Vorpal
01-30-2016, 11:24 AM
gold would be a outside source as someone in a very rare case would be able buy a powerful card cheap that other would not have access to.

the gold in context of the challenge would be for the shaman buff only an am sure as the game goes on their be other things too spend it on.

By the same token, then you must consider the cards you earn to also be an outside source, as one person might get more powerful cards from their adventure packs than another.

Jormungandr
02-02-2016, 07:40 AM
I'd say gold should 100% be considered a resource available. The challenge as I understand it is to essentially restrict yourself to only what you can earn as if it was a fresh account only doing PvE. Gold is a resource new players have, so there's no reason you can't buy cards from the AH if you can afford them.

Otherwise you're hamstringing yourself more than you reasonably ought to. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you specifically want a bigger challenge, but new players are going to spend their gold, so people doing the new player challenge probably ought to be able to as a baseline.

Svenn
02-02-2016, 07:46 AM
I'd say gold should 100% be considered a resource available. The challenge as I understand it is to essentially restrict yourself to only what you can earn as if it was a fresh account only doing PvE. Gold is a resource new players have, so there's no reason you can't buy cards from the AH if you can afford them.

Otherwise you're hamstringing yourself more than you reasonably ought to. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you specifically want a bigger challenge, but new players are going to spend their gold, so people doing the new player challenge probably ought to be able to as a baseline.

Well, I can say it's pretty much doable even without spending the gold, at least as an Elf Mage. I've got 3 fights left to complete: Wormoid Queen (I carried all 60 gnomes across already [all at once], but I did it on the right side path so I still want to defeat her), Piranhas (haven't even been back to try it since the beginning yet), and the last boss of Devonshire. I haven't spent any gold, I've only added in PvE cards I've found, and a couple of the PvP cards that come with the generic starter deck pack for a new player.

I will say that Adaptatron is so OP. It's won me tons of encounters on it's own.

Vorpal
02-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Where do you get an adaptron? Haven't seen one yet.

Svenn
02-02-2016, 08:51 AM
Where do you get an adaptron? Haven't seen one yet.

I've gotten 2 from Adventure Zone Packs now.

Jormungandr
02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Well, I can say it's pretty much doable even without spending the gold, at least as an Elf Mage. I've got 3 fights left to complete: Wormoid Queen (I carried all 60 gnomes across already [all at once], but I did it on the right side path so I still want to defeat her), Piranhas (haven't even been back to try it since the beginning yet), and the last boss of Devonshire. I haven't spent any gold, I've only added in PvE cards I've found, and a couple of the PvP cards that come with the generic starter deck pack for a new player.

I will say that Adaptatron is so OP. It's won me tons of encounters on it's own.

I never said it wasn't doable without spending the gold, only that I don't think people should consider that part of the challenge, necessarily. If you have good luck with drops from the packs you earn, you will be fine, but using the gold to pick up a couple of cards to help fill out your deck along the way seems like it should be in the spirit of the challenge. It's not like you'll be buying high value rares/legendaries with the gold you earn from the campaign. It'll just help you still improve your deck along the way even if you don't have the best luck with drops from the packs.

Svenn
02-02-2016, 11:37 AM
I never said it wasn't doable without spending the gold, only that I don't think people should consider that part of the challenge, necessarily. If you have good luck with drops from the packs you earn, you will be fine, but using the gold to pick up a couple of cards to help fill out your deck along the way seems like it should be in the spirit of the challenge. It's not like you'll be buying high value rares/legendaries with the gold you earn from the campaign. It'll just help you still improve your deck along the way even if you don't have the best luck with drops from the packs.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you here. Just tossing in my experience. ;) If someone wants to track their gold and spend that, seems legit for the challenge to me.

Antfunk
02-02-2016, 12:03 PM
So I finished this last night with my human Mage. I only did with starter cards and won cards. Didn't spend gold. I have killed the worm queen and did so with 30 gnomes at a time. Funnily I actually one shot both Killipedes and also the chained Goliath. Like people have mentioned Adaptatron is absolutely key and I was fortunate enough to get 2 of these to which I owe many wins. By far the toughest fight was Wyktor. Man....

Really awesome challenge and I would recommend it to anyone :). Now going to play Elf warrior. Just finished the tutorial dungeon and torn between doing the challenge again or making a mono wild dino's themed deck. I think it is going to be dino :)!