PDA

View Full Version : The Future of HEX

Shaqattaq
01-25-2016, 11:15 PM
by Cory Jones

I hope you’re having as much fun as I am playing the campaign. It’s been such a long road to this point and it really is terrific to see it take shape and actually make it into the hands of our players. I know by now it’s become clear we have delivered some of the great content we promised, but we still have a long way to go.

Hopefully you have checked out Ben’s article to get some insight into what this first installment of the campaign has to offer. Seriously, read his first …

https://www.hextcg.com/the-future-of-hex/

Shaqattaq
01-25-2016, 11:20 PM
One thing that was accidentally left off the list was the Kickstarter reward: Spectral Oak and Spectral Acorn. As priorities go, that's up there in the mix with mercenaries. The Oak is clearly more than one individual card with its different modes and different systems that lightly touch it in some way. It requires some more work and was one of the last items to get left off the final PVE Campaign launch list. We're sorry that you have to wait for it, but know that it's a very high priority for us.

Maylick
01-25-2016, 11:28 PM
http://s.pikabu.ru/post_img/big/2013/11/27/3/1385520123_384644925.gif

WolfCrypt
01-25-2016, 11:30 PM
Sweet!!! I love Strongholds holy crap this is epic

XyZydious
01-25-2016, 11:31 PM
Thank you CZE for finally delivering a large patch of PVE content. It is much appreciated!

chromus
01-25-2016, 11:36 PM
The future is looking great! Thank you for a much-needed roadmap Cory.

Loonknight
01-25-2016, 11:40 PM
Looking good, can't wait to see more. Also Hype!

Kurposkano
01-25-2016, 11:45 PM
"I owe each and every one of you all my gratitude… and an awkward hug."

I'll hold you to that Cory. Or rather, we'll hold each other. See you in March.

Edswor
01-25-2016, 11:51 PM
We have the first "chunk" of PvE and now I can't wait for the next patches ...

funktion
01-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Man, as if I wasn't already excited enough for what Hex has in store for it!

RCDv57
01-26-2016, 12:00 AM
VOKTARs
https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Titan-of-Voktar.png

WolfCrypt
01-26-2016, 12:01 AM
The set icon a placeholder? :P

MagicFridge
01-26-2016, 12:12 AM
Prepare yourselfs --> You will get Ragefired soon !!!!! That card is freaking awesome !

Gregangel
01-26-2016, 12:13 AM
Holly cow , a 10/5 for 5 , azureggcanon on the way...

kaiizza
01-26-2016, 12:16 AM
The set icon a placeholder? :P

Without a doubt. They don't want us guessing the next set name right.........I love how the templates for the cards work so well, that you can put other symbols as placeholders easily.

Phenteo
01-26-2016, 12:18 AM
The set icon is placeholder. We didn't want to reveal it just yet. ;)

Vorsa
01-26-2016, 12:22 AM
"Hello everyone! If you’re reading this it means PVE has launched and I am dead."

Oh, Cory - you had me at hello. :D

Somehow I am hyped +1, and I though I was already at maximum hype today!

WolfCrypt
01-26-2016, 12:27 AM
"Hello everyone! If you’re reading this it means PVE has launched and I am dead."

Oh, Cory - you had me at hello. :D

Somehow I am hyped +1, and I though I was already at maximum hype today!

Hype: 0 Cost shardless: Add 1 Hype token to this Champion

wolzarg
01-26-2016, 12:28 AM
I feel like Cory could hype sand and sell it to sand people, but only after adding disco lights and rave colors to the sand because he wanted to.

WolfCrypt
01-26-2016, 12:30 AM
I feel like Cory could hype sand and sell it to sand people, but only after adding disco lights and rave colors to the sand because he wanted to.

Nah they'll just shoot him

spankydonkey
01-26-2016, 12:38 AM
Thanks Cory, great read, I'm looking forward to the next patch/patches & this one is not in just yet, so much HYPE today!!

pyrovoice
01-26-2016, 12:40 AM
well in magic we have a big blue & badass creature that's unplayable in every set, seem like Hex prefer the red/ruby for that x)

Voormas
01-26-2016, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the article!

You talk a lot about how everyone has been busting their ass to get this update to us and I can believe it, so huge thanks to the team - I hope you can start taking things a bit easier, I don't want you guys getting burned out making this stuff before I get burned out playing it :P

GhundiPI
01-26-2016, 12:41 AM
So wish I could collect on that 'awkward hug' (™?) some day, but being European does not make that easy. Still, so good to see that Hex is now becoming what we all dreamed about :) Thank you Cory and CZE team, very much looking forward to be able to play the campaign!

WolfCrypt
01-26-2016, 12:45 AM
I'm hyped for Ranger Class. Actually ironically the more Warlock is delayed more I think it's the most complex class ever! Sweetness

AswanJaguar
01-26-2016, 01:00 AM
I'm hyped for Ranger Class. Actually ironically the more Warlock is delayed more I think it's the most complex class ever! Sweetness

Down to Warlock and my beloved Rogue for last class available. Wherefore art thou, rogue?

Jemy000
01-26-2016, 01:01 AM
Woohoo!!!

That's really all I have to say.

ciripel1289
01-26-2016, 01:08 AM
Somebody please ask "When are patch notes going live?"
This is the best i read in a patch notes for a long time :)))
Phenteo now comes with 100x more spiders each time you ask, “When are patch notes going live?”

Thank you HEX team!

WolfCrypt
01-26-2016, 01:11 AM
If asking about patch notes up makes 100 does asking is the patch done give a thousand?

AstaSyneri
01-26-2016, 01:34 AM
Ah, shame on the Spectral Loti (:P), but otherwise we can't complain. AZ 2 will come quicker than AZ 1 and I imagine we'll be quite busy till then (just made my 30th perfect run with a distinct champion in the Arena, so I know I can keep myself occupied for quite a while).

Thanks for the roadmap... .and can I just waive my rights for the hug?

Kroan
01-26-2016, 01:35 AM
Maaaan... that Cory. Sure has a talent to write awesome stuff... Keep up the good work guys, we have your backs!

strawwmann
01-26-2016, 02:43 AM
Prepare yourselfs --> You will get Ragefired soon !!!!! That card is freaking awesome !
In a deck packed full of Crimson Clarities (and any new Ruby ramp?) it could be fun! - competitive though??

NaryaDL0re
01-26-2016, 03:11 AM
Since I complained about the communication over the last couple months,
I think I should take this opportunity to show my appreciation on this specific post.

There are lots of small things I could get into, but I ll leave it with the most important
phrase for me personally, that brought a nice shift into the presentation of current HEX.

Someday we will look back on this and be amazed that a game as big as HEX started in such a humble place.

For me, Cory managed to sell this patch as something fundamentally magnificent
without overselling things like it happened in the past. And I appreciate that a lot.
I m glad I got to read this before playing the pve campaign, because it allows
me to more reasonably manage my expectations and focus my attention on what is
there. Since I don't just have to guess "whats still coming and why or why not".

I m especially interested in how robust the underlying features are in terms of UI,
Performance, Scale, etc ... To see how big the fundamental progress that Cory and
Ben talked about really is.

It mustve been a tough year, spending 80% of your time on "back-end" and core system
design and implementation. Glad you guys get to design and play inside your own tool box
a little more now, with a little less heavy lifting to do. Its probably starting to become the
more rewarding part of the game designer experience for you HEX guys now =).

Yewstance
01-26-2016, 03:22 AM
Love the set 4 spoilers, though doesn't the Canyon Runner kind of break one of the developer rules? It was stated that the "Quick"ness of Coyotle was massively toned down, specifically at common, due to how roughly on-curve troops (with sufficient toughness) can easily lead to 1-for-0s, freely destroying attacking units as being flashed in as blockers. Canyon Runner with the sapphire Quick gem becomes a 4 cost 3/3 Quick troop (with upside), that seems to really push it's use in knocking out 2/1s and 2/3s for 'free'.

Not inherently saying a 4 cost 3/3 quick troop at common is too powerful for draft, just surprised given that set 3 explicitly avoided having troops with more than 2 toughness be quick at common, save for the 0/7.

Besides, it's an extremely powerful card in other rights. In W/D, it can be a 4/4 for 4 that prophecy-buffs another troop, and there has yet to be a 4 cost 4/4 at common to my knowledge.

I don't think it's broken as is, just commenting that the power level distinction it carries for a common is unusually high, if in potential for raw stats if nothing else. I had assumed it was an uncommon at first.

Xenavire
01-26-2016, 04:06 AM
Holly cow , a 10/5 for 5 , azureggcanon on the way...

The ability is a replacement effect, all you would ever do is add spider eggs.

Not that that is bad in any way, but it won't kill them. :p

Maylick
01-26-2016, 04:08 AM
The ability is a replacement effect, all you would ever do is add spider eggs.

Not that that is bad in any way, but it won't kill them. :p

I'm very confident he was going to use Azure to mill 15 cards.

Gregangel
01-26-2016, 04:11 AM
That's why i added eggs
In fact, this is much healthy for the game.
Game of destruction sjould be attoned

Xenavire
01-26-2016, 04:15 AM
I'm very confident he was going to use Azure to mill 15 cards.

While that isn't a bad combo, it isn't Azurecannon, it's Azurebury/mill.

Adding the eggs is still decent, and it would be super scary with damage multipliers and swiftstrike. Ruby/blood insane egg combo deck?

superdax
01-26-2016, 04:24 AM
One thing that was accidentally left off the list was the Kickstarter reward: Spectral Oak and Spectral Acorn. As priorities go, that's up there in the mix with mercenaries. The Oak is clearly more than one individual card with its different modes and different systems that lightly touch it in some way. It requires some more work and was one of the last items to get left off the final PVE Campaign launch list. We're sorry that you have to wait for it, but know that it's a very high priority for us.

Did anything else got left out? Like maybe the Collectors AA that were announced earlier ? Unless they come out with a future patch (Set 4 maybe?)

Otherwise thank you very much for all this work, I am very exited and very happy to see hex come to life and be so big. Its now time to be big and get more people into this game :)

Gregangel
01-26-2016, 04:50 AM
While that isn't a bad combo, it isn't Azurecannon, it's Azurebury/mill.

Adding the eggs is still decent, and it would be super scary with damage multipliers and swiftstrike. Ruby/blood insane egg combo deck?

If the set 4 have the cards to build competitive tri-shards decks

Mejis
01-26-2016, 05:21 AM
What a great read, thanks Cory. I'm already so excited for campaign launch, but reading that makes me even moooore excited.

If I'm ever over in the states, I want to come collect that awkward hug ;)

Edit: oh and OMG set 4 spoilers. Voktar. Insane. 10/5 crush for 5 to insert spiders. Wow.

Khendral
01-26-2016, 05:33 AM
Are the other KS PVE cards (hand of urunaz, orson's dream,...) in this patch? Or are they slated to be released with spectral oak?

Strom
01-26-2016, 05:55 AM
Cost 5, 10/5 crush is that card real or am i crazy ?!

darkwonders
01-26-2016, 06:00 AM
Cost 5, 10/5 crush is that card real or am i crazy ?!

It never deals damage to the opponent. It will always create eggs instead. Still a bitch to kill with troops though.

fransis1981
01-26-2016, 06:19 AM
So happy and excited for the future of this game.
A great team behind such a great TCG!!

Strom
01-26-2016, 06:51 AM
Oh well that's better^^, but still crazy with azurefate sorceress

Bunnies
01-26-2016, 07:12 AM
future of the game: pay 2 login

NoahBuddy
01-26-2016, 07:31 AM
"i still have a bunch of Kickstarter stuff to deliver and my deal with Satan specifically states I cannot be taken away until all the Kickstarter rewards are completed." - Cory

Soo cory is functionally immortal as long as they withhold one KS reward. Am i reading that right?
also i would like take this opportunity to pledge my allegiance to our immortal overlord.

ps: this Satan deal should apply to the whole dev team if they want (imo).

pps: great job! you people earned those shots and then some!

Vorpal
01-26-2016, 08:32 AM
Good post, thanks, exciting times for Hex :)

Hatts
01-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Thanks Cory! Reading about the road ahead for Hex is getting me through a long workday before I can get home to play the campaign.

Where does the tablet release fall on the roadmap? Is it on the backburner for now until all the core functionality is complete?

Xenavire
01-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Thanks Cory! Reading about the road ahead for Hex is getting me through a long workday before I can get home to play the campaign.

Where does the tablet release fall on the roadmap? Is it on the backburner for now until all the core functionality is complete?

It is likely to be pushed back indefinitely due to the UI being in flux (I would estimate they will finalise most things around the release of raids.)

Hopefully we hear something on it soon.

Hatts
01-26-2016, 10:05 AM
It is likely to be pushed back indefinitely due to the UI being in flux (I would estimate they will finalise most things around the release of raids.)

UI may be part of it but I think resourcing is the more likely culprit for it being pushed back. iOS/Android doubles the amount of builds they need to create, test, etc and complicates the release and patching process because they have to deal with two app stores and their approval process. That's not even considering the financial impact of having to pay Apple 30% of any platinum sales made from the iPad.

I can still hope though, tablet support would drastically improve how much I can play hex and the campaign mode is ideal for the more casual play that seems to be all I have time for lately.

Vengus
01-26-2016, 10:50 AM
Set 4 spoilers :D. Some nasty cards there, especially that Vennen. That Dual-shard troop is interesting aswell for the saph/ruby action decks out there, might even push saph/ruby above mono ruby Benvolio.

Saeijou
01-26-2016, 11:29 AM
wohoo spoilers! :)

Aradon
01-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Question about A2: When the Ranger class is added, will there be a way to increase the character limit as well? Or if I fill up 10 character slots now, I'll have to delete one to play a ranger?

Shaqattaq
01-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Question about A2: When the Ranger class is added, will there be a way to increase the character limit as well? Or if I fill up 10 character slots now, I'll have to delete one to play a ranger?

We have additional character slots planned.

Aradon
01-26-2016, 07:01 PM

Great to hear! Thanks for all your guys' hard work today on launch!

Vorsa
01-27-2016, 12:38 PM

Awesome! I might need to put some more thought into my intiial 8 then - had assumed some were destined to be scrapped...

joseph5185
01-27-2016, 02:03 PM
HEY HEY!!

Anyone remember me!?? =)

It's been a looong time since I've played a little HEX, but look how far we've come and yes, I was one of the original kickstarter backers...and glad to be back!

Lafoote
01-27-2016, 02:41 PM
This entire message was all win. Good news indeed!

WolfCrypt
01-28-2016, 03:51 AM
I can't wait to see Strongholds

hammer
02-11-2016, 04:28 AM
So Strongholds - there are apparently 8 different strongholds (one for each race) to level? Do we pick one stronghold from the 8, can we level the others/ have access to more than one stronghold. Do we get to cycle between all eight depending on champion, do upgrades apply only to 1 stonghold or to all your stonghold. Hmm so many questions.