PDA

View Full Version : Why hide cards below the UI?

Mormont
01-26-2016, 04:41 PM
I can't agree with the design decision to hide the bottom third of the cards in hand behind the UI. Now I can't read the text or see troop power/defense. Seeing the whole cards is far more aesthetically pleasing and there is plenty of space to move information to the left. Also, the top bar hides half the opponents cards, meaning sleeves are not worth much.

IronPheasant
01-26-2016, 06:33 PM
It annoys me too. Too much of the screen cut off for an empty black bar.

fido_one
01-26-2016, 06:47 PM
Agreed to both of these comments.

That doesn't mean the campaign and the game isn't freakin' awesome though. Love most of the improvements, and what I've seen so far is so god damn delicious I can't wait until tmrw comes and the loading times may be fixed/tweaked.

Svenn
01-26-2016, 06:57 PM
I really want to like this new bar... but I've got a few problems with it. First, as you mentioned, it cuts off part of the cards. Second, when I'm mousing over my cards my resources are all covered and I can't see what I have.

UI in games is one thing that really concerns me. A bad UI can ruin a great game. Not saying Hex has a bad UI, but I feel like it's not quite hitting what it needs to. We get a few great improvements, followed by a step or two back.

And the chat... it hurts so bad...

Brjuntinaar
01-26-2016, 06:58 PM
Yeah, the bar has been annoying me too. Hopefully they change it next patch.

Zophie
01-26-2016, 07:00 PM
it cuts off part of the cards.
when I'm mousing over my cards my resources are all covered and I can't see what I have.
And the chat... it hurts so bad...

I agree with these things too.

IronPheasant
01-26-2016, 07:14 PM
A really bad thing about this is how you can't click and play a card through the bar either.

Screen real estate at the extreme edges of a screen is prime space. You don't have to aim, just jam the mouse in a direction waaaay off the screen, and you're still there. This new target narrows the target space of clicking on a card to about 1/3rd of what it used to be.

This is a basic UI principle. : /

While we're complaining, the red number that is on the general chat always is completely useless.

fido_one
01-26-2016, 07:26 PM
While we're complaining, the red number that is on the general chat always is completely useless.

And really distracting, oh look, it just hit 500.

All very good points, but please note I think all of this is rather teeny tiny complaints [that should still be addressed at some point] that are still under an umbrella of the best foot forward Hex has seen to date. They have delivered on the PvE awesomeness IMO.

Estar1
01-26-2016, 07:26 PM
They should move the resource information to the bottom left and have the bar be cut in the middle to show the cards in theire full glory. This also makes the boring straight bar on the bottom more exiciting by making it not be just a rectangle.

Svenn
01-26-2016, 07:28 PM

Pro-tip: Click the whispers tab, then minimize chat. It won't show number of unread messages for general chat anymore.

Brjuntinaar
01-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Pro-tip: Click the whispers tab, then minimize chat. It won't show number of unread messages for general chat anymore.

Oh...haha thank you very much for that.

fido_one
01-26-2016, 07:41 PM

Thanks, nice workaround.

Vorpal
01-26-2016, 08:51 PM
I found the black bars a little jarring too, although I like the new resource displays.

Silvanos
01-26-2016, 09:58 PM
I agree with these things too.

I agree with things that Zophie agrees with. Would like to see the resources moved left or right. I constantly hide them while mousing-over cards.

Xavon
01-26-2016, 10:14 PM
I agree.

Though I would like to point out that the Mage's spells are also on that bar, on the left hand side.

Novalius
01-26-2016, 10:42 PM
I'm going to throw my support into this thread, I like that they're trying to spice things up by moving stuff around but I very much hate that my cards are hidden behind that bar. I know another complete redesign would be a massive hassle but please, please at least give us the option to move our cards up a little bit. Or here's an idea, keep the bar if you want and move the entire resource pool to the left, right in between our charge powers and our cards. Do anything, just please don't hide our cards.

TOOT
01-26-2016, 11:28 PM
+1 on moving the bar to the left to not cover your cards.

Zophie
01-26-2016, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I love the direction they are going with the new UI, but they just need to fix a couple things to tighten it up. Then work on chat. The devs are really doing a great job though, I'm super psyched about this new look!

Mejis
01-27-2016, 01:05 AM
I'm sure this kind of feedback is what they're after so this thread is good constructive criticism. I too like the idea of shifting the info to the left.

Lisa89
01-27-2016, 01:53 AM
I have to say, i LOVE the new bar esthetically, but as people said before at the same time is annoying the fact that cover part of the cards and even worst the position of resources & co (getting covered by zoomed cards all time), but i disagree with sleeve complain since you can see them fully on the decks.

superdax
01-27-2016, 04:04 AM
I actually did not even notice until a thread was opened...... Does not botter me so much as hovering over the card just shows it all. Minor setback for me. And I am sur that bar might be used for other things eventually

pyrovoice
01-27-2016, 05:18 AM
no, I disagree. You are supposed to know approximately your cards with art and name only, and showing the whole hand would take too much UI space. Just get use to it, and try to remember what your card does, it is not that hard

Goliath764
01-27-2016, 08:07 AM
no, I disagree. You are supposed to know approximately your cards with art and name only, and showing the whole hand would take too much UI space. Just get use to it, and try to remember what your card does, it is not that hard

For veteran, yes but PvE is likely the first thing all the new players play and they don't know all the cards. Granted, they can always just pop the card up and read them one by one, the UI covering might leave a bad impression to some new players.

As for me personally, I would like the bar to stay on the bottom instead of getting moved to the side. Moving the cards above the bar is good enough. Maybe let the UI covers like the last 2%(very bottom) of the card so they kind of look attached but not so much as to cover the texts.

Svenn
01-27-2016, 08:11 AM
The other problem is that resources are very important info... and they are all on the outer edges of the screen. One of the things I liked about the old resource displays was that the info I needed was much closer to the center of the screen, which is where your eyes tend to focus. This is why there are always mods for MMOs that put your health/mana/whatever bars around your character. It's a little less important here since it's not fast paced, but it's still good practice to keep important info centralized as much as possible.

fransis1981
01-27-2016, 08:49 AM
+1 both bars (upper and lower) hide part of the card/sleeve design, I would rethink positioning, and also agree with svenn about resource info positioning.

Rydavim
01-27-2016, 08:52 AM
This actually doesn't bother me excessively. However, a friend quit Hex shortly after starting because you can't see the cards in your hand without mousing over or zooming in. I had hoped that it might be changed with PvE, so I could get him to come back. :(

fido_one
01-27-2016, 09:01 AM
The other problem is that resources are very important info... and they are all on the outer edges of the screen. One of the things I liked about the old resource displays was that the info I needed was much closer to the center of the screen, which is where your eyes tend to focus. This is why there are always mods for MMOs that put your health/mana/whatever bars around your character. It's a little less important here since it's not fast paced, but it's still good practice to keep important info centralized as much as possible.

Yeah, I'm no UI designer, but I can't think of very many other games that have a central mechanic you have to keep an eye in an area so tiny at the very edges of the screen.

This sounds stupid, and it is, but there are some very good reasons for it and it isn't nearly as bad as one would think. I got a 'deal' on a 48 inch 4k TV. I need 4k for my work, and I strain on any 4k content less than 32 inches, which is where the super expensive monitors go. While I would have vastly preferred a 40 inch screen, I've been surprised that the 48 inch screen is completely, 100% manageable (if I had to do it over again, I'd get the same model but curved as while curved screens are stupid I think, they are great if you're right up in their face). I run most things in smaller windows in the center and move them about for enhanced workflow.

Full screen 4k goes to two things, when I'm working on 4k+ video (I do 360 video, so resulting files can easily be in the 6-12k territory, hence my need for all this absurdity), or when I'm playing a game.

Witcher 3, Cities: Skylines or Xcom are good examples, I push my chair back a foot, hang with a steam controller and have a nice immersive view. It's awesome!

So when the campaign came out, I full screened that sucker, it looks soooo awesome in big ass 4k, but even with a steam controller and sitting a bit back, I have to tilt my head in weird directions to look at resources. No other games I play full screen are making me do that awkward movement on this rig. It's not comfortable, so I run it in a smaller window, which is a shame.

Oli
01-27-2016, 09:59 AM
I have no problem with the UI hiding the cards, I have a problem with the cards always hiding my resources and thresholds on mouseover...

Saeijou
01-27-2016, 10:43 AM
+1 for the suggestion to unhide cards and remove the bar from the middle

besides that i really like the new design :)

BigAl
01-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Having card text covered by default is very annoying as an Orc Warrior. Some of my troops are trained, one in my opening hand has rage, and I've got skarns giving some troops +1A and speed. All that information is hidden unless I'm hovering over the cards. Extended art makes it even worse as it also ends up hiding these modifiers when moused over so I even have to zoom into each card to see what's been applied to every card I draw or search for with Brutal Commander.

There's got to be a better way to expose this information.

regomar
01-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Agree with the majority here. The new bar is extremely annoying. It looks nice and all, but it gets in the way constantly, and even worse, I can't see my resources when mousing over cards. This REALLY needs to be fixed. It was SO much better before they changed it...

Rendakor
01-27-2016, 02:16 PM
I for one like the new bar. It keeps the important info all centralized, and as a veteran player I recognize most cards by artwork alone.

Saeijou
01-27-2016, 02:42 PM
I for one like the new bar. It keeps the important info all centralized, and as a veteran player I recognize most cards by artwork alone.

veteran or not... you dont see altered cards (by abilities)... that's what annoys me by EA as well :D