PDA

View Full Version : A PvE Retrospective

Refugee
01-26-2016, 11:42 PM
It's been a long time coming but step 1 is finally here. After playing all day as much as I can here are my thoughts.

Getting the bad out of the way first,

1) The latency is obviously a problem.
2) I feel like this is going to be way too short (which is more a commentary on how much I enjoy it than anything else). There's obviously a lot more to come that I lust for and having had this sample my patience is not growing.
3) I'm not sure why you block off so much behind obviously artificial things like magic locked doors. Let people go where they want (especially in the overworld, I can understand locking dungeons until certain requirements are met). If they get out of their league that's ok. Just give them a reminder that they have easier areas that they could be doing.

But the good... oh the good.

1) Everything is beautiful
2) There's something cool at every turn. Cards that mill before the game even starts? Wow, I hadn't even ever thoughts of that.
3) I'm not usually a person who reads everything when clicking through quests but Hex really nailed it with the writing and descriptions. It's short enough to not be tedious but enough to really give flavor to the experience.
4) The deck progression works really well. I'd be blowing through this stuff with one of my normal arena decks but it really makes each game more interesting. I do wonder about once we have a full unlock later on though. I hate to lose that sense of progression but I'm not sure how it's remedied.
5) The quests are pretty good. Capturing the animals has been fun and interesting.
6) The little easter eggs (free comet strike vs dinosaurs) are really fun.
7) I don't think I've come across two encounters so far that play the same. The armies of myth encounter? Terrifying inevitability. The 5 spirit animals dungeon? Very cool. Piranhas? Screw you Hex.
8) The AI is way way better. It still has specific problems but in general it plays well.
9) For the most part the class/race combinations are pretty distinct. I didn't pick a vennen warrior because I like spider men. I picked it because I wanted the +spiders when i use my power against an opponent.
10) Zodiac blessing changes with the sign of the zodiac... really? I'm going to be watching to see if this is true!
11) I really love some of the pve cards.
12) The sound is really great. The ambient noises as well as card effects are very well done.

Obviously we all want more. But I have to say what you've done so far really blows me away. This is the feeling I had when I first played Shandalar... only better. I can't wait to see what's next!

Mejis
01-27-2016, 01:02 AM
Fantastic to hear. Great write up.
I am only way home as I write this and I cannot wait to (hopefully) log straight in and get exploring for the first time!!

Sixlooter
01-27-2016, 01:23 AM
Solid and differenciated first impression, thanks refugee.

nicosharp
01-27-2016, 01:51 AM
I've got to echo Refugee here on all the great things so far I've been able to experience.
Really looking forward to more.
Curse you guys for the Wormoid Hydra... those lost 'gnomes' can rot! (I'll go back for them later)
Was really happy to be forced (pleasurably) to modify my deck considerably for that encounter, and the Killipede encounter where all opposing troops start with -1/-1. I haven't attempted Piranha's yet, but I'll come for them soon.
Well done on destroying cookie cutting!

Chris... you are a monster. The AI is skynet. (with a few unique personality dysfunctions, but that makes them even scarier)

LNQ
01-27-2016, 02:14 AM
Great write-up, agree with your assessment!

4) The deck progression works really well. I'd be blowing through this stuff with one of my normal arena decks but it really makes each game more interesting. I do wonder about once we have a full unlock later on though. I hate to lose that sense of progression but I'm not sure how it's remedied.

This is pretty much my only concern. I hope the restrictions and the system will evolve over time as HexEnt sees the system in action and gets data on how we fare.

There are so many options that will keep the experience fresh so all I'm concerned is that HexEnt won't be determined enough to keep the challenge level up for everyone. For example, I wouldn't mind different Adventure Zones to limit which block of cards you can use. If you're on the other side of Entrath it will be natural that your deck consists of cards that relate to that area.

Cernz
01-27-2016, 02:16 AM
how is the gold income within the campaign? - didnt have the chance to play it so far, is it more (better) than with arena or less?

Bombs
01-27-2016, 02:25 AM
how is the gold income within the campaign? - didnt have the chance to play it so far, is it more (better) than with arena or less?

Significantly less gold income in my experience.

Refugee
01-27-2016, 02:25 AM

You know, I honestly haven't been paying attention to what I've been getting as much as I've just been enjoying the ride. But it feels like you get somewhere in the low 100s for one off encounters and a bonus of around 1000 for completing a quest? I definitely could grind gold out of arena faster but that's mostly because I have access to a fully optimized deck there. That also doesn't take into account selling the card rewards though which may have decent value (it looks like each pack type has a legendary and I don't believe I've gotten any of them yet after opening 15ish packs).

Also keep in mind everyone is doing the easiest stuff at the moment. We don't know what gold rewards are further in yet.

Mike411
01-27-2016, 02:26 AM
I really like the ocean/beach game board - the way it changes with the turn phases as well as the amazing look of it :)

Svenn
01-27-2016, 07:34 AM
6) The little easter eggs (free comet strike vs dinosaurs) are really fun.

So, I got this and forgot that it voided cards in hand... played it turn 1 on my opponent's turn thinking "Hey, I'm playing one of those colors and 10 resources would be sweet with these cards I've got!" Cards got voided and I just let out a "Doh!"

Still won though. ;)

kindmime
01-27-2016, 07:38 AM
gold income is a lot less with the bonus I received about 20-25k gold on a full run through.