PDA

View Full Version : Campaign AI Kudos

bwarner
01-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Just wanted to comment that the AI in the campaign so far seems very solid. It might be a bit over-confident in blocking and not anticipating combat tricks, but I was impressed to see an instance where I tried to pull a combat trick and it responded by removing my creature while the trick was still on the chain. I haven't seen any outright silly plays like casting spells to no effect or harming its own troops. Good work everyone, especially Chris!

Teldil
01-27-2016, 08:33 AM
My experience has been quite the opposite after about 2 hours of playtime.

AI constantly does NOT block even when damage is lethal.
AI constantly using his champion abilities on the wrong creatures - for example, an ability that lowers the attack of my troops. AI had already used it on one of my troops which now had negative attack number, but then later used it AGAIN on the same troop (basically wasting the ability) even though I had other troops in play with positive attack numbers.

Lisa89
01-27-2016, 08:35 AM
I agree, AI in campaign is way smarter, great job team! :D

bwarner
01-27-2016, 08:36 AM
Which ability that lowers attack are you talking about? Are you sure it is targeted and not random (like the Bubblebee)?

incitfulmonk21
01-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Really? I have seen a ton of misplays. Sacrificing a troop to buff a troop after the combat phase. Returning a troop to its own hand even though it has no come into play effect, wasn't in danger of dying, and actually presented a real threat at the time. It is still very easy to trick into attacking or blocking stupidly and doesn't realize when attacking is not the best move. Finally, it still would rather trade with a troop rather then prevent lethal so it is still very easy to force an attack through.

Honestly, I haven't really seen any improvement at all or maybe my expectations are high but so far the A.I. is just as easy to manipulate as its predecessor.

I will leave one caveat though. I have only played through the first few nodes of campaign so if the A.I. is suppose to be worse during this time to help out new players then it may in fact be improved, but if this is not true then not impressed with the new A.I. at all.

Aradon
01-27-2016, 08:43 AM
The inability of the AI to predict buffs makes the Elf Mage's 'Embiggen' spell (+3/+3 to one troop, quick speed) very, very powerful. It's won me most of my games so far.

Yeah, the AI so far seems on par with the previous patch's Frost Ring AI to me. Not making too many terrible misplays, but still throwing games here and there. There isn't a current 'AI problems' thread around, is there? I could toss my observations in there, if it's still at all helpful now that the AI is supposedly learning on its own.

nicosharp
01-27-2016, 08:43 AM
The AI gets better as you go. Don't expect the introductory experience in the first several nodes to impress you. They want some form of early progression to be easily achievable. I think they did a great job so far. In some spots, I'm a little frightened by how good.

Alamand
01-27-2016, 08:45 AM
So far campaign AI has been about the same as arena AI in my games, it's not bad overall and the cases it messes up in are fairly rare and predictable. By far the biggest change has been to the block re-ordering which was always their biggest weakness.

bootlace
01-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Currently at level 7, on the fourth dungeon. I think AI is VERY solid. Have seen a few mistakes very early on (could very well be intentional - and remember the AI 20% of the time takes the second or third best option to stop it from being predictable) but otherwise very impressive.

Catalonia
01-27-2016, 09:15 AM
quite good but i've seen a dungeon boss eliminate two of his troops with two of his boulder toss in the same turn :D

Catalonia
01-27-2016, 09:26 AM
My experience has been quite the opposite after about 2 hours of playtime.

AI constantly does NOT block even when damage is lethal.

I don't think this is always bad, I'm not the AI and sometimes I take the same decision to not block lethal if lethal comes hopelessly next turn, just as a conceding move. Imagine the situation in which the AI throws chump blockers at your troops turn after turn while being on low health and you both know there's nothing the AI can do. I've experienced this situation more often than I would have liked in the arena. So as long as the AI is unable to concede I feel that not blocking lethal is more positive than negative

Svenn
01-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind that the AI is intentionally supposed to make mistakes (probably more so for the early encounters). A few mistakes here and there are not only expected but specifically programmed that way.

Also, the AI is supposed to have personalities that will cause them to do things that seem less than optimal (a dwarf that hates elves and will remove an elf every time, even over a bigger threat, for example). I don't know the extent of this in what we have now, but that is an intended feature.

I'm not far enough to comment on the AI right now. I've had no troubles winning up to where I am (just crossed the bridge) but I haven't seen the AI making too many mistakes.

Scorpio989
01-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Unless it's forced too the AI often does not attack if you own a card that has an effect when it dies. I have been using this exploit in the AI's behaviour for a while now. Also I often see the AI using it's own removal effects on itself...

Tarquin
01-27-2016, 09:51 AM
The inability of the AI to predict buffs makes the Elf Mage's 'Embiggen' spell (+3/+3 to one troop, quick speed) very, very powerful. It's won me most of my games so far.

Yeah, the AI so far seems on par with the previous patch's Frost Ring AI to me. Not making too many terrible misplays, but still throwing games here and there. There isn't a current 'AI problems' thread around, is there? I could toss my observations in there, if it's still at all helpful now that the AI is supposedly learning on its own.

oh, spells are quick speed? Oops :D

Svenn
01-27-2016, 09:52 AM
oh, spells are quick speed? Oops :D

Whoah, I didn't realize that either. Well, that changes things...

Seluhir
01-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Unless it's forced too the AI often does not attack if you own a card that has an effect when it dies. I have been using this exploit in the AI's behaviour for a while now. Also I often see the AI using it's own removal effects on itself...

This is the biggest I've noticed. The AI seems to love targeting its own units with removal...

Also, using 'buff troop until end of turn' effects post-combat phase just because they have the resources. A lot.

Teldil
01-27-2016, 05:35 PM
The AI just casted two polymorph dingler on the same turn on my ALREADY DINGLERED troop.
So, a total of 3 polymorphs on the same target.

Awesome.

poizonous
01-27-2016, 05:49 PM
quite good but i've seen a dungeon boss eliminate two of his troops with two of his boulder toss in the same turn :D

That's funny because i haven't even seen a boulder toss used in like 10-12 hours of play. But really i was the biggest skeptic about the AI getting improved but i am impressed so far, sure it still makes misplays but it is by far a whole lot smarter. Kudos guys