PDA

View Full Version : How is the lag since the hotfix?

Svenn
01-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Stuck at work... curious how well that hotfix worked. Anyone in game yet?

Rendakor
01-27-2016, 12:59 PM
It's not as bad as it was for me last night, but still pretty bad. 5 minute delays between finishing a battle and rewards popping up, etc.

fido_one
01-27-2016, 01:28 PM
If they improved it I unfortunately can't tell, it's still in the area of 'wait until they fix it otherwise you're going to get waaay too frustrated' for me. I'm sure the patch will at least let them hone in on the issue a bit more.

Svenn
01-27-2016, 01:36 PM
If they improved it I unfortunately can't tell, it's still in the area of 'wait until they fix it otherwise you're going to get waaay too frustrated' for me. I'm sure the patch will at least let them hone in on the issue a bit more.

I played for hours last night through the lag. The fact that matches themselves play fine helps, so it's just 10 minutes between them waiting for dialog/rewards to pop. If you're patient it all happens, just very slowly.

On the other hand, eventually I decided to take a break and play some more Dragon's Dogma and hope for lag fixes. Tonight might be more Dragon's Dogma (I'm on the last few quests, and almost to post-game/DLC content :-P) until late when people start going to bed so the lag hopefully gets better.

Rendakor
01-27-2016, 01:37 PM
It was fine right after the patch but as more people have logged in it has gotten progressively worse, over the last few hours.

Svenn
01-27-2016, 01:38 PM
It was fine right after the patch but as more people have logged in it has gotten progressively worse, over the last few hours.

Too many people is a good problem to have. ;) I'm actually pretty excited that we've got so many people it's killing the server!

Salverus
01-27-2016, 01:38 PM
This morning (european time) i could play for 2 hours with no lag at all. Then when it became later, the problem got worse and worse. Then around the server downtime i didnt play for several hours, so do not know about that. But an hour ago i tried it again and it is reasonable.~1 minute wait time before each dialogue pops up when you travel to a new node or try to complete a quest, but in battle everything is fluid indeed.
But if a battle is difficult and you need to do a few retries until you can beat it, its just too slow to restart each time.

Xenavire
01-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Too many people is a good problem to have. ;) I'm actually pretty excited that we've got so many people it's killing the server!

This will quickly become detrimental as people will decide not to come back if things don't improve. Double edged sword.

DML
01-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Just logged in and its still really laggy.

Koz
01-27-2016, 01:45 PM
This will quickly become detrimental as people will decide not to come back if things don't improve. Double edged sword.

For sure. Brand new players will not download the game and go "oh wow! The servers are really slow! This game must be popular! Sweet!!!!!" They're much more likely to go "eh...wtf is with this lag? Screw this, I'm playing something else."

Hopefully they are able to fix it, and I hope new players are patient and understanding and like what they see enough from what they're able to experience that they'll come back and give it another shot. The game is worth it!

Svenn
01-27-2016, 01:46 PM
For sure. Brand new players will not download the game and go "oh wow! The servers are really slow! This game must be popular! Sweet!!!!!" They're much more likely to go "eh...wtf is with this lag? Screw this, I'm playing something else."

Hopefully they are able to fix it, and I hope new players are patient and understanding and like what they see enough from what they're able to experience that they'll come back and give it another shot. The game is worth it!

Tell that to World of Warcraft. That game was mostly unplayable (far worse than this) for like 2 weeks on launch. ;)

Rendakor
01-27-2016, 01:50 PM

I'm certainly holding off pitching the game to all my friends (again) until the lag is gone for good. First impressions are important.

Koz
01-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Tell that to World of Warcraft. That game was mostly unplayable (far worse than this) for like 2 weeks on launch. ;)

And Diablo 3 had a terrible launch day. The difference is, with those games people had already spent cash to have them and therefore had incentive to keep trying it until it was playable. I certainly wasn't going to give up on Diablo 3 after dropping $60 just because launch day was a disaster....

The issues with Blizzard just display that it doesn't matter how big a company is, or how much money they have, launch days tend to be rough. New players need to give it a chance, and I hope they do!

Svenn
01-27-2016, 02:00 PM
And Diablo 3 had a terrible launch day. The difference is, with those games people had already spent cash to have them and therefore had incentive to keep trying it until it was playable. I certainly wasn't going to give up on Diablo 3 after dropping $60 just because launch day was a disaster....

The issues with Blizzard just display that it doesn't matter how big a company is, or how much money they have, launch days tend to be rough. They need to give it a chance, and I hope they do!

This is a fair point, and I don't disagree that it can turn some people off. A day or two of lag shouldn't be too much of an issue, I think, especially since it's still playable.

Malcolm
01-27-2016, 02:31 PM
The lag imho is worse than yesterday when I played from 4pm to 4am CST (with breaks and being sick and unable to sleep). Played today 1PM to just now and has gotten worse.

Excited to see so many new players, that IS a good sign.

Worried that if they truly turned on new servers this morning those blades are trash, I hope they had them preprepped for HEX and not a fast and sloppy conversion job...

Though, it Is slowing down lvl progression. :)

fido_one
01-27-2016, 02:35 PM
The lag imho is worse than yesterday when I played from 4pm to 4am CST (with breaks and being sick and unable to sleep). Played today 1PM to just now and has gotten worse.

Excited to see so many new players, that IS a good sign.

Worried that if they truly turned on new servers this morning those blades are trash, I hope they had them preprepped for HEX and not a fast and sloppy conversion job...

Though, it Is slowing down lvl progression. :)

They had this exact same problem a few times, mostly revolving around tournaments (and then larger tournaments) - they always sort it, and if I were to guess, their permanent fixes have come faster as the years have gone on. It's a good sign they took the servers down as they had an attack plan - even if that plan didn't work, you don't bring the servers down for x amount of hours if you have no idea what is going on, which is the worst situation one could be in.

Silver lining: the 'campaign only lasts x hours' from trolls that wanted to speedrun the campaign, something I was sure was going to pop up in these forums, have been distracted. By the time those threads hit, it'll be apparent that the campaign has a lot of depth and replay ability so those threads are less likely to become big-ass heated debates that go on for 100 pages.

Saeijou
01-27-2016, 02:38 PM
would be nice to have an official word on what happens and when they will have the next try/fix

Mejis
01-27-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm sure they are frantically working on all fixes possible for the lag. The good thing is in-game matches are actually very fluid and responsive (for me anyway), it's just the loading screens that are lagging. I noticed a slight improvement a few mins ago, but that could just be due to fluctuating concurrent users.
Based on prior lag in patches I'm sure the fix will be here very quickly, but I just hope it isn't putting off any newcomers. I'd like to hope everyone is accustomed to MMOs suffering from lag on launch days/weeks so there will be some level of understanding from those that haven't been with HEX for a while.

knightofeffect
01-27-2016, 04:00 PM
It seems to me like there was an oversight on the coding of the communication layer for the world map. If it was a true load issue, it would be seen in several parts of the game, especially on the actual PvE matches. It seems more likely that they hit some limiting factor in the world map DB communication code that they would never have seen nor expected until they put it out under full load. Judging by the time it's taking, I imagine they are having to rethink most of that world map to DB connection backbone. Still shouldn't be a multi-week issue, but another couple days wouldn't surprise me either.

I would be surprised if this issue still existed by Monday. :)

Vorsa
01-27-2016, 04:05 PM
It's improved, but still pretty bad - I'd say inside cities & dungeons is the most improved, open world not so much.
Still flawless inside matches, of course.

Deathfog
01-27-2016, 04:09 PM
Unplayable at 5 Central US right now.