PDA

View Full Version : I want my collection back, and some other observations.

DML
01-27-2016, 04:48 PM
I am an Alpha player so please keep the newb/scrub comments to your selves. Just because I finally decided to make a forum account does not in any way mean I haven't been around long enough to know what I am talking about.

First let me start off with saying I love the PVE aspect of the game. I have been waiting patiently for years to play it just like all of you.

However, it has come to be woefully apparent that if you didn't dump loads of money into this game before hand there are decks you simply can not beat. This is not good for new players that DO NOT wish to spend money on this game.

The deck/card grid - Why is this a thing? Even at rank 9 you still only get 4 copies of a common card in your deck. The game is designed to have 4 copies of cards, why would you limit that? Not to mention that I can only have 3 copies of commons but my opponent can have 11 darkspire priests in its deck or 7 entangling webs. That's not creating a challenge for the players its out and out game breaking. Give me back my card collection. If I knew I was going to be crippled by the card grid I never would have spent money on this game in the first place. If I knew that I was only able to use about 10% of my collection, I never would have spent money on this game. I am furious at myself for spending as much as I did ~$200 dollars and for someone who is on disability and not working its hard to ration out money for these things and stay competitive. This is just a slap in the face to players. This is Cryptozoic the giving a giant middle finger to the people that cut their paychecks. This game would be nothing if it were not for its backers and you do this to them. You release content that arguably the ENTIRE player base has been waiting for and then neuter them with this sham called the deck/card grid. It's simply uncalled for.

The starter decks are absolute trash and the deck you co up against are way over tuned to even attempt to win with out smashing your face against a wall and just conceding every game until the computer gets shard screwed/flooded. I don't want to waste my afternoon waiting 5-10 min between games due to lag, just to have to concede because the AI got a monster draw and I had to mulligan down to 3-4 cards just to even make it out of the first turn with something playable. And I am not saying monster draw like first turn kill, just every single card is synergistic with every single other card. There is no way to catch up, even playing a rush deck. Some of the AI champions abilities are out and out broken and if there was a actual champion that you could play with the ability of "2Blood each player sacrifices a creature and draws a card." Everyone would play a token deck just for that purpose. It's almost as if they expected you so spend tons of money in the store or AH to have extra cards in your card manager. That is simply not the case here. If you want new people to play the game you can't have the decks at level 4 seem completely unstoppable. I played maybe 6 games today in 2 hours due to lag 1 of witch I won. I won A SINGLE GAME. The rest were over by turn 4.

I am strongly considering just uninstalling and forgetting this game all together. I don't have the card stock, or just simply cant use it to even make it past level 4. Do you even get packs for farming the same fights over and over? I haven't even tried that yet and I am not sure I want to. The rewards are 90% of the time nothing I can use in my deck anyway, so what would be the point in that. Farming gold? Why would I deal with the lag when I can just farm the Frost Arena a billion times fighting the same 20 champions over and over and over and over and over and over again. Just so I can buy 1 or 2 cards that I need for a pve deck. Not that I can even make use of them due to the above mentioned card/deck grid crap that you came up with.

Oh, and fix the lag too. It makes the campaign almost unplayable.

fido_one
01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
This post is just stirring things up, you could have said all of the things in here without the vitriol or polarizing opinions. Since you are an Alpha player, then you should know better to critique a game the day after launch like this. When/if they delete or shut this thread, realize it wasn't because you were being negative, it was how you presented your rant.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3Qg3rQfeZv4?start=92&end=104&autoplay=1

Svenn
01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
The deck/card grid - Why is this a thing? Even at rank 9 you still only get 4 copies of a common card in your deck. The game is designed to have 4 copies of cards, why would you limit that? Not to mention that I can only have 3 copies of commons but my opponent can have 11 darkspire priests in its deck or 7 entangling webs. That's not creating a challenge for the players its out and out game breaking. Give me back my card collection. If I knew I was going to be crippled by the card grid I never would have spent money on this game in the first place. If I knew that I was only able to use about 10% of my collection, I never would have spent money on this game. I am furious at myself for spending as much as I did ~$200 dollars and for someone who is on disability and not working its hard to ration out money for these things and stay competitive. This is just a slap in the face to players. This is Cryptozoic the giving a giant middle finger to the people that cut their paychecks. This game would be nothing if it were not for its backers and you do this to them. You release content that arguably the ENTIRE player base has been waiting for and then neuter them with this sham called the deck/card grid. It's simply uncalled for.
I love it. It makes things interesting. It's a way to level up your deck. At level 30 you will be able to build decks fully unrestricted, without worrying about the shard grid.

The starter decks are absolute trash and the deck you co up against are way over tuned to even attempt to win with out smashing your face against a wall and just conceding every game until the computer gets shard screwed/flooded. I don't want to waste my afternoon waiting 5-10 min between games due to lag, just to have to concede because the AI got a monster draw and I had to mulligan down to 3-4 cards just to even make it out of the first turn with something playable. And I am not saying monster draw like first turn kill, just every single card is synergistic with every single other card. There is no way to catch up, even playing a rush deck. Some of the AI champions abilities are out and out broken and if there was a actual champion that you could play with the ability of "2Blood each player sacrifices a creature and draws a card." Everyone would play a token deck just for that purpose. It's almost as if they expected you so spend tons of money in the store or AH to have extra cards in your card manager. That is simply not the case here. If you want new people to play the game you can't have the decks at level 4 seem completely unstoppable. I played maybe 6 games today in 2 hours due to lag 1 of witch I won. I won A SINGLE GAME. The rest were over by turn 4.
I'm using the Elf starter deck with 2 added cards (both earned from the PvE with this deck) and I haven't lost a single encounter yet. I finished the tutorial and I'm all the way past the second bridge right now. No problems here. What starter deck are you using?

Fyren
01-27-2016, 04:59 PM
I love it. It makes things interesting. It's a way to level up your deck. At level 30 you will be able to build decks fully unrestricted, without worrying about the shard grid.

I completely love the Shard Grid myself; I came to this board basically to praise it. My major concern as a mid-late beta player with a strong Set 1/2 collection was that I was going to be able to use something I already had that would simply lay waste to all the content; Not being able to was wonderful. Having to work with the limitations and continuous evolution that a shard grid requires will ensure that levelling up a character feels rewarding, that their deck slowly turns from a startery mishmash into a honed killing machine.

I will agree that the starter deck I've tried (Shin'hare Mage) was goddamn awful; I actually struggled with the Shin'hare Mage setup on the third tutorial fight, and it took about 4 tries because the deck has no reliable answer to a turn three 4/4 with Swiftstrike. It took a frustrating bit of retrying in order to succeed.

Gregangel
01-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Paying so much in a pve goal is indeed a very foolish choice.
You'll think the game will be much more fun with a overpiwered deck ?

funktion
01-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I really like the shard grid. Overall the OP felt really ranty, if the points were more succinct I might've been able to take what was written to heart a bit more but in general a lot of it just feels like blowing steam to me.

Edit: also the claim that you need to blow loads of money to get further than you have is just blatantly false. In fact the shard grid helps what you are claiming to be an issue. If everyone could have 4 Vamp Kings or Spectral Acorns in their deck then the devs would need to balance accordingly.

Finally, INB4 penta or hacky clear the campaign with nothing but commons. Some encounters are meant to be challenging / puzzling (piranhas)

dogmod
01-27-2016, 05:08 PM
Sigh the young kid in me wants to just say L2P. The adult says that it sounds like you are frustrated by a combination of lag as well as difficulty of the encounters. If you perhaps saw the restrictions of the grid as a challenge which would be fun to get past as opposed to them limiting what you see as an investment perhaps you would be having more fun.

I also find it somewhat contradictory that you are saying the game is P2W and yet you are complaining it is too hard despite you having paid over 200 dollars to play?

I would suggest coming back when the lag has calmed down a bit and perhaps you would find the games more fun when it doesn't take 10 minutes to reload after an RNG loss.

Refugee
01-27-2016, 05:22 PM
I really can not understand how some people are getting upset that they can't easily beat an NPC opponent. Do you play MMOs and get angry when you can't beat the highest level content in the first couple days?

I'm not trying to attack anyone but some of the reactions I've seen when losing to an AI make me wonder how these people react when they lose to a real person.

The_Lannisters
01-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Some encounters are a bit of a nightmare, gnomes/worms! but most are fairly easy with the starter decks provided plus the freebies picked along the way.

Loving the grid as well! :-)

Xexist
01-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Also if and when the AH isnt closed, commons and many uncommons are dirt cheap. really really good commons and uncommons I might add.

magic_gazz
01-27-2016, 05:39 PM
If you spent $200 and cant beat the beginnings of the PVE content then the problem is not the content.

I have not added much power to what was given with the coyotle cleric (other than to make it 100 cards) and I am not having any problems, they only thing I haven't beaten so far is the piranha and im pretty sure that when I can be bothered to edit the deck and bring it down to 60 cards I will.

fitzle
01-27-2016, 05:51 PM
I have been taking the Cory Pepsi Challenge and only playing with a starter deck edited only with cards earned during the course of the adventure. I have had some challenging encounters but so far only the piranha encounter and the worm queen (which obviously is the path to choose for the insane only) have I not been able to beat. I haven't finished the content yet but I gather I have got pretty deep in at this point.

I'm just saying, as others have said, individual experiences may very.

Goliath764
01-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Playing a raw Vennen Mage deck under Cory Pepsi rules, I have reached level 4 without too much problem(maximum of 1 lose against some encounters but not many) so I highly doubt that you are having that much trouble with the early stages of the campaign if you have invested ~$200 into your collection. You can probably blow all of the early encounters like the arena with a collection. I feel that the The campaign is very well-balanced in terms of power level, even cards like Rigid Buffalo are perfectly usable as apparently a 2-3 statline is enough of an aggro stopper against some encounters.

I don't get the complaint of over-4 cards for the encounter either. If your opponent is an Ape, then of course it is going to have all the ape cards available in the game in high quantity(at least until the day this game has so many Ape cards that the encounter can offer variety). It would be immersion-breaking if all of a sudden it casts a Wrecksaurus or a Wrathwood Colossus out of nowhere. Having a high quantity of a few cards also make it easier as you can easily expect what your opponent would do and usually one or two cards are enough to counter everything your opponent has, as compared to having to deal with a lot of different cards.

Juneauz
01-27-2016, 08:10 PM
The shard grid is simply awesome. That is all.

Amsterdam
01-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Besides the lag, which sucks but hopefully will be fixed within a few days, I am not having any of the problems you are having. I am playing a lvl 4 Human Warrior and except for Piranha's havent found an encounter that was hard to beat. The computer playing multiples of a single card only makes it easier to counter his deck imho.

Mike411
01-28-2016, 12:34 AM
I like the shard grid personally. I'm not having the problems you're experiencing besides the lag. While the lag issue is being worked on you might wanna check out some of the streamers at http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/HEX%3A%20Shards%20of%20Fate and the strategy/decklist forum (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=108) and change your deck/playstyle up a bit. Both places have some good examples of decks, and the streamers are usually expert players.

LNQ
01-28-2016, 12:39 AM
I would be upset if I never lost to an NPC in a campaign.

If anything I would like additional increases in the deckbuilding challenge other than the shard grid eventually.

saffamike
01-28-2016, 12:46 AM
Love the shard grid. I'm enjoying the difficulty level. My necrotic cleric deck is struggling a little at level 6, but that's due to my rubbish deckbuilding.

I'm absolutely thrilled with the current status of PvE, lag aside.

DML
01-28-2016, 03:31 AM
To clarify I have spent $200 over the course of the last 3 years or so. I just don't like the shard grid, simple as that. I just shared my opinion I don't need all the SJW of the internet to come out of their mothers basement and bash me for "spitting vitriol" on the forums.

I try not to be too much of an ass on the forums but this is really getting old when someone can't come to the forums with a complaint only to have every fan boy in existence swoop in from up on high off their 90 story soap box and point the finger back at the OP for being an asshole simply because I disagree with the shard grid.

I am running an Orc Cleric deck and it seems to never take off, ever. I can NEVER get a favorable start unless I concede repeatedly to do it. To some its okay that they need to do that. Me personally, I think if you have to concede a match several times to keep from getting shard screwed/flooded or just to win a coin flip, that's pure unadulterated garbage. The people that think its okay to do that are the same people that farm Grifts in D3 until they get one they can handle and progress through it easily. I guess its fun for some but it isn't for me. Conceding the same game 17 times just to make it fun is in fact NOT FUN. I love the game I really do but this is just stupid. The community used to be pretty good and now its filling up with the elitist MTG or Yugioh players.

DML
01-28-2016, 03:34 AM
Besides the lag, which sucks but hopefully will be fixed within a few days, I am not having any of the problems you are having. I am playing a lvl 4 Human Warrior and except for Piranha's havent found an encounter that was hard to beat. The computer playing multiples of a single card only makes it easier to counter his deck imho.

I get that but when the computer has 11 of one card in their deck... that's just stupid. And I am not talking about a mechanic that lets you create cards, I'm saying the computer had 11 Darkspire Priests in its deck. When it dies you either take damage or go find one FROM YOUR DECK, not pull one out of thin air.

Maylick
01-28-2016, 03:51 AM
Wow. How are we supposed to stay on topic and discuss gameplay design when you are trashing community, while you are the one who's bitching all over the place? Sorry dude, but either you are getting fun out of this trolling and namecalling or you need to chill a little before you come back to forums.

redman2112
01-28-2016, 03:55 AM
A word of advice DML: Usually when you think everyone is an asshole, you are in fact the asshole.

Evilgm
01-28-2016, 04:09 AM
In regards the Shard Grid, I can understand that you dislike it, and your reasons for disliking it, but for the majority of players it is a positive thing. There will unfortunately always be a minority that don't find any given mechanic or concept to be fun, but in general designers have to design for the majority.

I am running an Orc Cleric deck and it seems to never take off, ever. I can NEVER get a favorable start unless I concede repeatedly to do it. To some its okay that they need to do that. Me personally, I think if you have to concede a match several times to keep from getting shard screwed/flooded or just to win a coin flip, that's pure unadulterated garbage. The people that think its okay to do that are the same people that farm Grifts in D3 until they get one they can handle and progress through it easily. I guess its fun for some but it isn't for me. Conceding the same game 17 times just to make it fun is in fact NOT FUN. I love the game I really do but this is just stupid. The community used to be pretty good and now its filling up with the elitist MTG or Yugioh players.

I'd like to also raise the possibility that not everyone is having the same experience as you, and are being honest when they say they don't need to concede the same game 17 times to make it fun. If that is something that is truly happening to you then there are two likely reasons- either you've been cursed by some deity of ill-luck or you're building your resource scheme wrong. There are certainly a small handful of fights that involve a significant dose of luck on your side (such the Worms) but if you're experiencing it in regular matchups I can tell you without doubt that you are the exception.

Likewise, I was not impressed with the starter deck I first tried, but I didn't find it particularly worse than the majority of starter decks in any CCG I've played, and it was more than capable of making it through the starter dungeon. Again, I think this is true for most people on here, so when they tell you that it's not because they're automatically attacking negativity, but actually speaking the truth- unfortunately it's easy to read hostile tone when someone is disagreeing with you, which I suspect is something happening on both sides of this issue.

Showsni
01-28-2016, 05:28 AM
I think if you have to concede a match several times to keep from getting shard screwed/flooded or just to win a coin flip, that's pure unadulterated garbage.

Wait, are you conceding every match until you win the who goes first coin flip?

Kubira
01-28-2016, 06:23 AM
A) I love the shard grid. I am not doing the Cory challenge but I am RP-ing my Necrotic cleric deck by only using underworld/neutral troops. I like that I am not just running a constructed B/D deck and I think the progression is great for the game.

B) Your blood/ruby clerics should not be having this much trouble. Did you stack with cleric troops and give them lifedrain and steadfast? That's an easy way to get a huge lead early on. Raiders (Ridge/Savage) > Taskmaster or Fierce Warlord (both clerics) > Veteran Gladiator or Paladin of the Necropolis (clerics) > Corrupt Harvester (cleric). Add in a burn/kill removal set and you should be fine for the vast majority of the early content. For some one-off power you can add Tusker, Gortezuma, Xocoy (all clerics).

I switched to human mage because my necrotic cleric was steamrolling the content and I wanted more of a challenge. I'm just playing both now. If all else fails, try another character.

Lukezors
01-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Have a very large collection but I love the grid

Xzaron
01-28-2016, 06:36 AM
I am running an Orc Cleric deck and it seems to never take off, ever. I can NEVER get a favorable start unless I concede repeatedly to do it. To some its okay that they need to do that. Me personally, I think if you have to concede a match several times to keep from getting shard screwed/flooded or just to win a coin flip, that's pure unadulterated garbage.

The reason you are getting so much negative feedback is because of your opening post. You didn't have to talk about all your financial woes to try and get sympathy on your side because that is way over the top.

Leaving it at that, I am playing an elf cleric and havent had to go down to less than 7 cards in any match and I am past the gnomes. Have I lost matches? Sure (mostly because i carried all 60 across at once) but if you as a cleric are not able to get a favorable start ever...? I think it might have something to do with the deck you've built. While I understand the AH is down maybe you should start by asking for help rather than trying to start a fight with the majority of the community.

If you think you are crippled by design choices then I'm sorry? The grid is not crippling at all and if you think it is then I'm not sure what to say. Backing a project that is not done you always run the risk of losing what you've invested. I don't think many here would think they have lost value in what they have put into the game but maybe for you this is a lesson learned?

Juneauz
01-28-2016, 06:42 AM
If you're not willing to accept any criticism, next time try to make your point in a less condescending way...
You have a right to have an opinion, but the tone you choose when you express it is very important.

DML
01-28-2016, 06:43 AM
The reason you are getting so much negative feedback is because of your opening post. You didn't have to talk about all your financial woes to try and get sympathy on your side because that is way over the top.

Leaving it at that, I am playing an elf cleric and havent had to go down to less than 7 cards in any match and I am past the gnomes. Have I lost matches? Sure (mostly because i carried all 60 across at once) but if you as a cleric are not able to get a favorable start ever...? I think it might have something to do with the deck you've built. While I understand the AH is down maybe you should start by asking for help rather than trying to start a fight with the majority of the community.

If you think you are crippled by design choices then I'm sorry? The grid is not crippling at all and if you think it is then I'm not sure what to say. Backing a project that is not done you always run the risk of losing what you've invested. I don't think many here would think they have lost value in what they have put into the game but maybe for you this is a lesson learned?

I was not trying to get sympathy from anyone. I was merely pointing out that I don't have a disposable income to throw around.

And for everyone else. I was using 17 as an arbitrary number but its a known fact on some encounters (worms) a favorable start is everything... and if you read other threads you would see that people are doing just that, especially on Killipede.

EvilCanadian
01-28-2016, 06:47 AM
The grid gets taken away bit by bit as you level up. I am not certain which deck you are using but I played with both humans and elves (made 2 characters) adding about 4-5 of my own cards to the starter decks and have done fine. You may want to rethink your strategy or if in the case that your deck really is unplayable and you have spent 200 dollars on this game, I may urge you to sell your cards at auction, remake 80% of what you've lost and rebuild a new better deck. I personally had to do that, I invested about 100 in a vennen deck but it was not tournament capable so I sold it back at about 85% and built a new much better deck.

Xzaron
01-28-2016, 06:49 AM
While I am not to Killipede yet I believe that is the hardest encounter on the board? There are a few challenges that are meant for people not to win every time like piranhas and worms. The important encounters are the dungeon encounters not the overly difficult encounters that don't give you much meant to challenge the few who really want a challenge.

GhundiPI
01-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Besides the shard grid, which is of course a personal preference that cannot be argued with, I think the biggest issue with the campaign is the expectation of difficulty. It probably is in the nature of players to always want to get as far as soon as possible, but the way the Hex campaign is set up, that really isn't necessary.

Someone who has just started Hex, or is following Cory's "only adjust your starter deck with the cards you get during the campaign", will (and should) encounter difficulties around what I would like to call the "Worm" point. The difficulty of the encounters does scale up a bit in that area, and without some good adjustments to your deck it will be diffucult to progress much (unless you're extremely lucky). But the great thing is that you should be able to farm 2 or 3 dungeons already for new cards and XP, maybe buy a few cards on the AH, and then later try again those areas in which you did not succeed before.

Personally I think the difficulty of the campaign is exactly where it should be (this is frankly how the Arena should have been). You probably won't be able to power through the entire campaign immediately, unless you completely rebuild the starter deck. But over time you will get there. So I sincerely hope that CZE will not compromise and water down the general difficulty of the campaign. There may be a few encounters which could be looked at, but most of them are not essential and will eventually be doable with enough experience and deck adjustments.

Baigan
01-28-2016, 07:22 AM
It's almost as if they expected you so spend tons of money in the store or AH to have extra cards in your card manager. [...] If you want new people to play the game you can't have the decks at level 4 seem completely unstoppable. I played maybe 6 games today in 2 hours due to lag 1 of witch I won. I won A SINGLE GAME. The rest were over by turn 4.

I've completed about two thirds of the map with only the starter cards in my alignment and what I've gained through playing. It's possible to make progress without spending money.

someone can't come to the forums with a complaint only to have every fan boy in existence swoop in from up on high off their 90 story soap box and point the finger back at the OP for being an asshole simply because I disagree with the shard grid.

The white knights haven't arrived in this thread yet. :p

Vorpal
01-28-2016, 11:38 AM
I like the shard grid. It's a good way to differentiate between classes.

It's part of the leveling up system. Eventually, you will be able to use all the cards. It's typical in RPG's for your full power to not be unlocked until later. I don't view this as cause for alarm.

It sounds like you are mostly upset due to lag, which I agree is no fun.

Superjuice
01-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Just so we are clear here, it's ideal that new players not be able to clear the entirety of pve content on their first day. The idea is that you farm until your deck is powerful enough to progress. I think the grid works perfectly to provide some challenge for veteran players while allowing ample room for improvement as your character progresses. I'm not a big pve player, but they've gone above and beyond what I expected and I hope they don't cave on the really tough encounters :)

magic_gazz
01-28-2016, 01:22 PM
To clarify I have spent $200 over the course of the last 3 years or so. I just don't like the shard grid, simple as that. I just shared my opinion I don't need all the SJW of the internet to come out of their mothers basement and bash me for "spitting vitriol" on the forums.

I try not to be too much of an ass on the forums but this is really getting old when someone can't come to the forums with a complaint only to have every fan boy in existence swoop in from up on high off their 90 story soap box and point the finger back at the OP for being an asshole simply because I disagree with the shard grid.

This gave me a chuckle.

In future post in the way you would like people to respond to you.

GenghisMike
01-28-2016, 01:26 PM
I had my concerns when I first heard about the shard grid but I actually do like the feel of progression it gives. I can't wait til more updates come out that up the current lv cap. I can understand if you don't enjoy it but you aren't being very constructive. If you just want to throw out insults then have at it but not sure what you hope to accomplish by doing so.