PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts On Hex PvE

bootlace
01-27-2016, 07:05 PM
After having completed the campaign, I want to share my impressions and provide some feedback to the Hex Ent team.

First of all I have to say that itís now clear just how much work was put into this campaign. Everything in the campaign from the music to the art to the story progression oozes of quality. Itís not only clear this was a labor of love but that there are many talented people working at HxE.

The world building is definitely there and many of the cards we have come to love or even some that have been forgotten are brought to life in interesting ways. Thereís also some new characters weíre introduced to which I wonít spoil that make me look forward to the rest of the PvE story.

Each battle has its own interesting mechanics and the outworld progression is a real pleasure every step of the way. I love that HxE has this space to create these really wacky battles that really feel like a totally distinct puzzle. I especially loved the Wormhole/Gnome quest, and thatís actually when I dumped my starter deck and went to get the big guns. How many to carry, which route to take, how to play the battle Ė so many decisions to take and it was a great gaming experience so bravo whoever came up with that.

The dungeons give a totally different feel to the outerworld and makes for a great change of pace. The ambiance, lives at risk and crazy hard encounters (esp dungeon bosses) give a high sense of tension and excitement. I now have much more respect for all those dungeon stat/life talents/traits after experiencing the end dungeons of AZ 1. Iím both excited and afraid of what dungeons lie ahead as I donít expect them to have much mercy on us moving forward (but thank god Mercenaries will come to the rescue!).

Iíve only so far managed to play with the Mage class, but I can say that it brought a great new dimension to any deck that I thought about building. Especially being as an Elf Mage, it was really cool having this totally unique Racial-Class talent that made me play the game in a totally new way. I abused the +3/+3 instant boost in so many creative ways (before my troops would battle, on my Royal Falconer, on Heroic Outlaws, etc) that itís hard to imagine playing as any other Elf. But yet Iím pretty sure different races feel the same exact way about their race/class combo. THAT is something really hard to capture so kudos to the team for achieving that.

The talent trees at lower levels are usually nothing to write home about, but there were some talents I was definitely looking forward to. I originally thought it would feel off having to spend points in a tree so shallow, but now Iím intrigued how they can add much more given I feel pretty imba enough as a measly lvl 9.

One of the most important aspects of this patch and PvE campaign is welcoming new players in and I think the new player on-boarding experience is really well done. Having played some MMOs with terrible starting zones (eg:Wildstar) I know it can make or break some games and I feel everythingís great (although Tranquil Dream seems like the type of dungeon that will be loved or hated).

MMO Aspect?
As far as a single player TCG RPG/PvE experience goes, Chronicles of Entrath is a solid 9/10 (in a totally new genre, no less). With stuff like crafting/mercs/strongholds/consumables etc coming Ė thereís no doubt this game will be a huge success for years to come.

But having said that I do need to question where the MMO side of this game will come from because right now itís pretty much non-existant. Auction House, chat windows, and perhaps even some guild functionalities might be Ďmultiplayerishí but it leaves me wanting more.

I would really like heroic dungeons (harder modes of the normal ones) be raidable with up to two friends. Iíve noticed some dungeon opponents have abilities that target Ďall opposingí champions so perhaps this is already the plan? It would be a shame to build up that complex UI and systems and have that great mode buried in a few raids.

Besides that I hope there is something in the works to make this a more breathing/dynamic multiplayer world. Currently PvE could be a single player offline mode and you wouldnít really notice any difference. I donít want to suggest any ideas now (Iíve already done so in the past) because I donít want to insult the systems built and what plans you might have with some wild impossible ideas Ė but I do hope thereís some thought going into it, even if itís 1 or 2 years away.

Some Minor Suggestions
-I really feel that clicking on a node should highlight it and give a audio feedback as well that you have selected it. It really doesnít feel responsive in the current format when you click on a node on the map.

-Yellow nodes are a bit confusing. There are these yellow nodes in the campaign that are scattered around and itís hard to tell which ones are incompleted because you didnít do it and which ones are because they were blocked from you.

-Opening packs in campaign window: would it be possible to have the cards flying out as if you put them in Kismetís WoF? I have a feeling many new players will never go to that Store screen (or even know it exists) and the pack opening should really feel special.

-Going the long way in dungeons should give greater reward. In one of the dungeons doing 2 hard battles only gave you 1 special card you can put in your deck, that doesnít seem worth it at all.

-Saving PvE decks in campaign. Without this it disincentivizes switching decks and testing stuff out Ė which is one of the most important parts of the campaign.

-I know this is a question of cost and probably not desire, but having voice actors - even if it's only in dungeons - would make them even greater of an experience.

-An achievement for completing all nodes would have been a neat touch.

Thatís all for now. Thank you and keep up the great work.

Yubar
01-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Great review, has me all warm and fuzzy. Thanks bootlace and thanks CZE

Kangsta
01-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Great review and I also want to add another plus.

- Love the new battlefields the atmosphere the subtle details and graphical touches are awesome!

Lafoote
01-29-2016, 11:56 AM
-Saving PvE decks in campaign. Without this it disincentivizes switching decks and testing stuff out – which is one of the most important parts of the campaign.

This is a glaring oversight. Sometimes you have to tweak into something completely unrecognizeable from your primary deck to beat an encounter. Then you have to recreate your original deck from scratch. It's really my only serious complaint about the campaign.

Assassine
01-29-2016, 02:38 PM
I know this is a question of cost and probably not desire, but having voice actors - even if it's only in dungeons - would make them even greater of an experience.

I wonder why they didnt just make Ben voice everything :D

knightofeffect
01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Seeing as I'm also playing an Elf Mage and Bootlace is in my head, I no longer ha e to write a review. Great stuff!

Tazelbain
01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
I want them to make hooks and let community fill in the voice acting.

Yoss
02-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Great review. I agree with literally the whole thing.

To expand on the MMO comments, perhaps they could make it so that we can see the avatars of other players as they run around the nodes? Would that cause too much lag?

Marsden
02-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Great review and I also want to add another plus.

- Love the new battlefields the atmosphere the subtle details and graphical touches are awesome!

They are great. It's a shame they're kind of broken in 21:9 widescreen, the original battlefield looks OK still.

BenStoll
02-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback everyone, in this thread and in all the others.

It means so much to me (and I know it does to the rest of R&D as well) to know that people have had some fun with campaign :)

Our thoughts are often inline with yours, and you will definitely see some of the gripes addressed as time goes on.

Silvanos
02-04-2016, 11:03 AM
I want them to make hooks and let community fill in the voice acting.

I'm not sure what the legalities of this are, but I bet they could get this whole game voice-acted by the community for a measly amount of Set 4 packs. Hell, people here have done amazing (and time consuming) content just because they love the game.