PDA

View Full Version : Plans to add non-Linear elements to future PvE Campaign content?

nicosharp
01-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Basically title - Wondering if there is discussion, plans, content being developed specifically to address the non-linear success of open-world MMO's/RPG's?

For example, in AZ1, we don't have to complete every node to progress, but the limited content, and fairly guided nature of the campaign makes the experience feel close to 100% Linear.

Is there future plans to Create a larger sandbox of content linked to PvE and story development that is not required progression points?

If not, it would be great if it could be considered much more as it diversifies the gameplay experience drastically. (Thank you for not forcing us to do the Wormoid Queen to advance :) )

On that note - Another fun suggestion for future Adventure Zones is to not have it linked to bubble zones, have a player move around with their champion 2-d cutout on the map. This would allow us to remove the "fog" ourselves, and discover random encounters, and terrain/etc. The map could also randomly populate with the same encounters, so no players experience is guaranteed to be the same every time. (Like random Uruunaz encounter rarity chance in a "fog" zone that is a farming zone). I think akin to Final Fantasy and getting that nasty fight sound effect after walking around for a while and warping into a battle.

Edit to add: Even simply making more impactful decision trees for all the dialogue options in the PvE campaign would be a nice touch. I ultimately felt like 95% of all dialogue options in the game led to exactly the same outcome.

More additions: Build the Frost Ring Arena into the PvE Campaign World Map Area - So it is a centerpiece that can be entered from the PvE zone / etc. Adding the other game elements to the PvE map/world might add to the feeling that there is more to do than making sure dots turn the right color on a connect the dots drawing. (I know it's much more than that, but for arguments sake)

Verdant
01-28-2016, 01:27 AM
On that note - Another fun suggestion for future Adventure Zones is to not have it linked to bubble zones, have a player move around with their champion 2-d cutout on the map. This would allow us to remove the "fog" ourselves, and discover random encounters, and terrain/etc. The map could also randomly populate with the same encounters, so no players experience is guaranteed to be the same every time. (Like random Uruunaz encounter rarity chance in a "fog" zone that is a farming zone). I think akin to Final Fantasy and getting that nasty fight sound effect after walking around for a while and warping into a battle.
And it could look a bit like this (http://i.imgur.com/t9ygP4D.png), right? Say, these buildings easily could be nodes where players can get their quests or buy cards for gold.

nicosharp
01-28-2016, 01:33 AM
And it could look something like this (http://i.imgur.com/t9ygP4D.png), right?

I have fond memories of that game. I'm not trying to fit a round peg in a square hole or anything. It's 2016, they can do whatever they want. I am mentioning some major pieces of what make older "digital" RPG's and MMO's unique, fun, and replayable.

The cool thing about this being a TCG though, is the replayability is infinitely linked to how you build a deck and spec your champ and use equipment. We will always have that. Despite what the game looks like when they drop more systems in place.

Salverus
01-28-2016, 01:45 AM
I think adding the frost ring arena inside the campaign might not be such a good idea.
Since that would mean we also get the talent bonus and class bonusses and such in the frost ring arena, making it much easier for even faster gold farming.
And if they put it inside without giving those bonusses, it would only confuse players.

nicosharp
01-28-2016, 01:53 AM
I think adding the frost ring arena inside the campaign might not be such a good idea.
Since that would mean we also get the talent bonus and class bonusses and such in the frost ring arena, making it much easier for even faster gold farming.
And if they put it inside without giving those bonusses, it would only confuse players.

You are probably right for now, depending on how the future Frost Ring Arena is linked to PvE.

The post is more of a thinking out loud idea, but is probably already something the Devs are aware of and building into future content/patches. The node format is probably going to be stuck with, and that's fine, but I can tell from AZ1's few non-linear approaches to the map, we will likely see better implementation of that for AZ2.

Xenavire
01-28-2016, 04:42 AM
I think we need to remember that AZ1 isn't just our first piece of PvE - it is also going to be part of the new player experience for a long time. Being semi-linear (and I don't find it that linear past the halfway mark) does give new players a gentle slope before it ramps up the difficulty.

I would expect a rough amount of linearity for most levelling zones too, as being linear helps people to not dig themselves into a hole progression wise. Max level content is the most likely place to get our sandbox.