PDA

View Full Version : Low end hardware for hex. Tablets and laptops etc.

nekoangel
01-28-2016, 05:11 AM
Hey all,

I have quite a broad question for you regarding hardware for hex.

I'm looking to replace and aging laptop which struggles with hex gamepad as it just crawls at a less than average frame rate. So my question is what hardware are you running? I'm looking to hear from tablet users and low end laptop users mainly as id like a normal experience for hex if possible while keeping my budget down.

I'd be interested to hear from users with tablets such as the linx 7 and 8 and core i3 laptop users.

My current laptop is a t4500 proc with 4gb ram and an ssd but it's just sadly struggling in its old age.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

GobBluth
01-28-2016, 05:38 AM
I run Hex on a Surface Pro 3. I'm not sure of the exact specifications but it runs reasonable well if you don't have any other programs open at the same time. It does get hot and I've been told to watch out for overheating graphics card with Hex but all in all I'm happy with the performance for a tablet.

Renquist
01-28-2016, 05:56 AM
What is struggling?

When you open task manager with Hex open are you pegging the CPU or ram?

nekoangel
01-28-2016, 06:07 AM
What is struggling?

When you open task manager with Hex open are you pegging the CPU or ram?

Now that's what I need to check. I played it on my lunch yesterday at work so didn't really get to look into it but it's always struggled that way.

I'll see what pops up and report back. Currently heading home to clean the laptop incase it's over heating with dust and dirt build up.

nekoangel
01-28-2016, 10:16 AM
well it seems it uses about 20% cpu and 2.9 out of 3.9 gb's of ram. even ran it windowed at lowest resolution to no avail.
im on windows 10 also.

Salverus
01-28-2016, 10:23 AM
i play on a few years old laptop (with i5), usually fine but now with campaign, hex crashes every 20 minutes, but eventually the engineers will fix that.
cpu usage is low and ram usage high

darkwonders
01-28-2016, 10:23 AM
I have the i7 SP4 and it runs pretty well. I wouldn't really call that a *low* end laptop as it's pretty pricey, but that's my non-gaming laptop that allows me to run Hex.

nekoangel
01-28-2016, 10:26 AM
i play on a few years old laptop (with i5), usually fine but now with campaign, hex crashes every 20 minutes, but eventually the engineers will fix that.
cpu usage is low and ram usage high

do you get a smooth frame rate?

i think i read somewhere before it hates integrated graphics atm but was hoping it wasnt the case since the update.

Rendakor
01-28-2016, 10:32 AM
My laptop has an i5 2.2GHz, 8 Gb RAM, a GeForce 820M, and an SSD; Hex runs fine on it, and it only cost a little over $500.

Vorpal
01-28-2016, 10:46 AM
It runs ok on my surface pro 3 - the big problem is the touch screen and pen don't work in the HEX game!

redman2112
01-28-2016, 10:46 AM
I run Hex on an Acer laptop, it has an i3 core, 2.16GHz, 8gb RAM, Geoforce 820M, 1 TB HD. I until recently was not using my geoforce graphics card for Hex but just my internal graphics card (not computer inclined). It worked fine before but now it runs at much better speed so I would suggest trying to get one with a dedicated video card. Mine ran me about 450-500.

Renquist
01-28-2016, 10:54 AM
Looks to me your CPU isn't the issue. Storage on SSD wouldn't be either.

Narrows it down to video and/or ram. Would be worth considering picking up an aftermarket video card for improved performance.

nekoangel
01-28-2016, 02:16 PM
Looks to me your CPU isn't the issue. Storage on SSD wouldn't be either.

Narrows it down to video and/or ram. Would be worth considering picking up an aftermarket video card for improved performance.

Sadly not an option as mine is a laptop.

Hmmm yeah new laptop time it is then.

No one running this on any tablet except surface series?

Renquist
01-28-2016, 02:39 PM
ah missed that part.

Fair enough

darkwonders
01-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Sadly not an option as mine is a laptop.

Hmmm yeah new laptop time it is then.

No one running this on any tablet except surface series?

There's no tablet client as far as I'm aware. We only can run it on the Surface Pro series because SPs use Windows 10.

nekoangel
01-28-2016, 08:47 PM
There's no tablet client as far as I'm aware. We only can run it on the Surface Pro series because SPs use Windows 10.

Ah sorry I'm guessing you may not be familiar with the linx brand? I guess I should have said any windows 10 lowee end tablet lol.

Mejis
01-28-2016, 09:13 PM
I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but up until this week I'd been running hex on an ageing Asus g73 jw (I think jw) laptop. 6years old. Hex ran pretty much perfectly on the gtx 460m. It struggled a bit on some of the new campaign maps (cray burn castle) due to particle effects I think, but only a minor fps drop. I'm on mobile so haven't got time to go copy all the specs, but if that's a worthy comparison then hope it helps. (I've now just built myself a replacement steam/HEX box that is delightfully monstrous, especially in comparison to that laptop, amazing as it has been for me over the last 6 years)

nekoangel
01-29-2016, 01:13 AM
I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but up until this week I'd been running hex on an ageing Asus g73 jw (I think jw) laptop. 6years old. Hex ran pretty much perfectly on the gtx 460m. It struggled a bit on some of the new campaign maps (cray burn castle) due to particle effects I think, but only a minor fps drop. I'm on mobile so haven't got time to go copy all the specs, but if that's a worthy comparison then hope it helps. (I've now just built myself a replacement steam/HEX box that is delightfully monstrous, especially in comparison to that laptop, amazing as it has been for me over the last 6 years)

no that does help, seems dedicated graphics are still needed. i was hoping the requirements would have been shrunk by now a bit.

Rendakor
01-29-2016, 07:28 AM
There hasn't been any kind of optimization done on the game yet, as far as I know.

Yoss
01-29-2016, 10:29 AM
You really do want to have a dedicated graphics card. I have integrated graphics and, while it works fine for PvP, it really bogs down with all the additional graphics layers in Campaign (also saw this problem in Arena, but Campaign is even worse for it). I'd guess that as much as 40% of my play time is wasted waiting on slow graphics performance (click card, wait small amount of time, then click next thing, wait small amount of time, etc). It's still playable, but the small delays with every action really add up over time.

As an anecdote, in the Tranquil Dream dungeon last night, the 5 color fights were slow. The boss fight, which uses the PvP battle board, played almost twice as fast.

nekoangel
02-01-2016, 08:34 AM
You really do want to have a dedicated graphics card. I have integrated graphics and, while it works fine for PvP, it really bogs down with all the additional graphics layers in Campaign (also saw this problem in Arena, but Campaign is even worse for it). I'd guess that as much as 40% of my play time is wasted waiting on slow graphics performance (click card, wait small amount of time, then click next thing, wait small amount of time, etc). It's still playable, but the small delays with every action really add up over time.

As an anecdote, in the Tranquil Dream dungeon last night, the 5 color fights were slow. The boss fight, which uses the PvP battle board, played almost twice as fast.

I'll be honest I'm streaming from the main pc to the laptop just to play In another room. When the wifi bugs out as my upload speed isn't great I still get slow down.

So yeah I'm looking at a dedicated gpu ultrabook or cheap laptop. Seems I need to grab at least something with either a gtx 960 or a 6th gen integrated. But now come the hard choices lol.

I do hop ether can release a spec sheet soon.

On the spec note my current gpu is an old 6670 2gb ddr3 and I'm fairly certain the 4850 is better.... Anyone agree? I'm feeling like this is going to be hard to pin point.

Ebynfel
02-02-2016, 01:33 AM
I'd second the need for a dedicated graphics card. For instance, i am running on a Core 2 Duo Fujitsu Lifebook t5010(13.3'') circa 2008 with Windows 8(Win 10 will run fine, but my old school pen drivers die), and 8 GB RAM. I hit ceiling on graphics, as I have roughly 45% cpu usage and about the same for RAM, but I stutter in PVE. PVP I can make do, but scenes change slowly, and turn change lags. But the old girl is still kicking