PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Card Manager Feature Requests

sugarcain
01-28-2016, 07:02 AM
Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the reasoning behind these choices have been discussed/explained. There's so much talk about all the new shiny in campaign that it's impossible to keep up with everything.

There are two features that I would love to see in future iterations of campaign:

1) Ability to have a "Core" deck that you can have saved as a staple. Basically, I've avoided certain fishy/wormy encounters because of the sweeping changes I know I'll have to make from my standard 'explorer' main deck. I would appreciate just having one "Core" deck that I can revert back to after having to swap out 20+ cards for a single encounter.

2) New Cards Only Mode. For lack of a better term, I would call this "hardcore" mode. In short, it's the Cory Pepsi Challenge. I'd appreciate having a filter for only cards that a certain PC has found. Perhaps gear as well. I call it "hardcore" because I secretly hope for an option at character creation where you only get what you find and maybe only one life per dungeon. The second bit of this request I guess would be an entirely different game mode. But as far as the card manager is concerned, I'd love a filter for "Cory Pepsi Challenge" basically.

TL ; DR
"Core Deck" that you can revert to after making sweeping deck changes to beat specific one-off encounters. Cory Pepsi Challenge Filter for cards and musings on my own 'hardcore' idea.

Svenn
01-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Agreed on both of these. :) Would be some nice features. Seems the ability to save/load campaign decks is pretty high up on priority for a lot of people.

ossuary
01-28-2016, 07:35 AM
I very much feel the campaign needs a core deck more as you suggested. Even if we could just have one deck we can set as our "primary" deck, and you can change back to it with a single button press in the deck builder (losing whatever else you had as your temporary deck in the process), just for convenience.

As sugarcain said, there are a lot of single encounters in the campaign that you want to change your deck for, but it's a huge pain to do that and then change back again. Having a single saved deck would alleviate this, and make exploring and experimenting a lot more rewarding (and less painful!). :)

MatWith1T
01-28-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm in agreement. Had to switch my deck out entirely to fight some mean old worms, and it was so cumbersome to switch it back (especially if you're taking advantage of a 100 card deck) that I have just been playing mono wild anti-worm ever since

GobBluth
01-28-2016, 08:06 AM
I would like a core deck that can be reverted back to but also multiple save slots so I can save a particular variation I thought would be applicable to other encounters (agro, control, whatever).

I'm worried that deck save slots will be something that needs to be leveled up (ex: get one slot every 5 levels or something). Or that they will be tied to Mercenaries as some people have said. I'm not sure this is the best way to go. It really takes away from my immersion into the story and the game when I have to keep siding 1/3 or 1/2 of my deck in and out for different encounters. It also makes me reluctant to try new things and experiment which is what this game is supposed to be about.

gjaustin
01-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Agreed. I was very unpleasantly surprised when I realized that there was no way to save my Campaign decks. I like fiddling with lots of different deck ideas and I don't want to have to level a new character every time I want a new deck.

I'd also like to see your campaign decks be an option in the Arena.

Raith
01-28-2016, 08:59 AM
New Cards Only Mode. For lack of a better term, I would call this "hardcore" mode. In short, it's the Cory Pepsi Challenge.

This wasn't too bad until I had to make major revisions for killipede. Then I had to go from my list/memory. It would be nice feature to have a walled off section for each character, but I'm not sure how many people would use it (especially after the first run).

I was very amused when my best available option was putting buffalos back in my deck to deal with Killipede. The horror!

Mike411
01-28-2016, 09:05 AM
I would like a core deck that can be reverted back to but also multiple save slots so I can save a particular variation I thought would be applicable to other encounters (agro, control, whatever).

I'm worried that deck save slots will be something that needs to be leveled up (ex: get one slot every 5 levels or something). Or that they will be tied to Mercenaries as some people have said. I'm not sure this is the best way to go. It really takes away from my immersion into the story and the game when I have to keep siding 1/3 or 1/2 of my deck in and out for different encounters. It also makes me reluctant to try new things and experiment which is what this game is supposed to be about.

Agreed with this post. I'm confused why multiple campaign deck saves aren't already a thing. My only theory is lack of development time. Limiting your save slots while still allowing you to completely switch out your deck would just encourage people to save decklists outside of the game instead.

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 10:07 AM
I think instead of a "core deck" feature mercs would be a more thematic solution. Essentially you'd have your champion's deck which is your "core" and you have a umber of mercs with their more gimmicky decks that you readily change to handle the encounters your champion's deck isn't suited for.

ossuary
01-28-2016, 10:47 AM
I think having multiple deck slots or a core deck for your champion is still viable regardless of mercs, as there are still multiple viable decks you can and will be using your champion for, they are not all one trick pony characters.

Jormungandr
01-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Also, like I mentioned on the other thread about this, having the ability to save a deck before you make some changes allows you to revert if you don't like what you've done, which seems like it may lead to new players being more willing to modify their decks without being afraid they won't be able to get it back to the way it was. This is a separate issue from mercenaries.

That being said, some of the situations where this would be useful could be covered by mercenaries, for sure, assuming they work the way we're speculating they do.

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 10:57 AM
I think having multiple deck slots or a core deck for your champion is still viable regardless of mercs, as there are still multiple viable decks you can and will be using your champion for, they are not all one trick pony characters.

Viable sure. But IMO it starts to get into "saved build respecs" territory where it's something they could do not necessarily something they have to do and starts trampling on choices made as you develop your character. (the effort to completely rebuild your deck isn't huge but it does apply a small cost to doing it constantly in time/effort)

I guess I approach the PvE champions from sort of a YuGiOh mindset where I expect my characters to largely have "their" deck and while their deck may evolve as they gain better cards mostly what cards they use are at least as iconic to them as their talent choices are. Using mercs to cover my champions weaknesses makes sense from an in game logic of hiring mercs or befriending other adventurers, but breaking out a different deck for my champion feels like a metagame choice.

gjaustin
01-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Viable sure. But IMO it starts to get into "saved build respecs" territory where it's something they could do not necessarily something they have to do and starts trampling on choices made as you develop your character. (the effort to completely rebuild your deck isn't huge but it does apply a small cost to doing it constantly in time/effort)

I guess I approach the PvE champions from sort of a YuGiOh mindset where I expect my characters to largely have "their" deck and while their deck may evolve as they gain better cards mostly what cards they use are at least as iconic to them as their talent choices are. Using mercs to cover my champions weaknesses makes sense from an in game logic of hiring mercs or befriending other adventurers, but breaking out a different deck for my champion feels like a metagame choice.

Yes, but unless they lock down deck editing there's no way to prevent that.

It's entirely possible that "deck slots" are intended as part of a later feature, like strongholds.

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Yes, but unless they lock down deck editing there's no way to prevent that.

It's entirely possible that "deck slots" are intended as part of a later feature, like strongholds.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think you should be prevented from completely changing your champion's deck between every encounter if you want (at least on the adventure map). That's a part of TCG's IMO.

However, I also don't think that it necessarily needs to be encouraged. And that the time/effort of re-making your deck and keeping track of what it "was like before" are a fair cost if the intent is to encourage use of mercs to cover your champion's weaknesses, which i think feels more like an RPG approach.

I don't really think "deck slots" makes any sense. If they're going to let you save more than one deck for a champion they may as well open it up and let you save as many as you'd like.

Jormungandr
01-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't think you should be prevented from completely changing your champion's deck between every encounter if you want (at least on the adventure map). That's a part of TCG's IMO.

However, I also don't think that it necessarily needs to be encouraged. And that the time/effort of re-making your deck and keeping track of what it "was like before" are a fair cost if the intent is to encourage use of mercs to cover your champion's weaknesses, which i think feels more like an RPG approach.

I agree that flavorfully having mercs cover your weaknesses works very well, and I like the idea of that in a big way, but that would still be the situation in a dungeon run, where maybe there's a boss or encounter along the way that benefits from having a purpose-built deck, which you'd use a mercenary for so that you don't have to weaken your deck.

However, in general, any sort of powerful effect gated by "it's tedious to do" just makes people resent being forced to do that tedious thing. So if they're allowing people to change 100% of their deck between encounters on the world map, it makes sense to make that better implemented in the UI, in my opinion.

Splurch
01-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Just another voice chiming in for the save deck feature. Overtuning of some encounters aside, I like that you need your deck to function differently for some of the encounters. It's nice that the devs want to encourage us to try different things, especially after the arena. Without any kind of save feature though, drastically changing my deck is not only a hassle, but feels like a punishment if I have to change it too much, especially if I then have to change it back after an encounter or two.

edit: grammar

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 01:54 PM
I agree that flavorfully having mercs cover your weaknesses works very well, and I like the idea of that in a big way, but that would still be the situation in a dungeon run, where maybe there's a boss or encounter along the way that benefits from having a purpose-built deck, which you'd use a mercenary for so that you don't have to weaken your deck.

However, in general, any sort of powerful effect gated by "it's tedious to do" just makes people resent being forced to do that tedious thing. So if they're allowing people to change 100% of their deck between encounters on the world map, it makes sense to make that better implemented in the UI, in my opinion.

I don't see that as a matter of power gaiting behind tedium.

The power is in using a deck tailored to the encounter.

You get that by subbing in a merc with a tailored deck. That you could also use the system designed to let you level up your deck to achieve it doesn't mean you gain an advantage by doing so. And it's a different thing to encourage the more immersive of two equally powerful options by not going out of the way to make the less immersive one more convenient (especially when it's not necessarily why the features it makes use of are there).

Ginaz
01-28-2016, 03:51 PM
I guess I approach the PvE champions from sort of a YuGiOh mindset

Found your problem.

Mike411
01-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Found your problem.

Nothing wrong with looking at it from a different mindset. But if we do - using only one deck is something a yugioh anime character would do, not an adaptable human player...

Yoss
01-29-2016, 04:42 PM
I fully support both requests in the OP.

Zyion
01-31-2016, 08:04 PM
My biggest problem with the way that the current card manager for PvE works is that it discourages experimentation. I'm less likely to play around with new deck ideas if I have to spend 10-20 minutes rebuilding a deck from scratch. And as a result, I find myself avoiding dungeons or encounters that require me to completely rebuild my deck to complete. Having just a "Core" deck isn't enough, you need to have at least two deck save slots at the start of the campaign.