PDA

View Full Version : Specific PvE feedback: Class and race comparison

Sethanon
01-28-2016, 07:15 AM
Hi everyone,

I didn't have much time to start PvE yet and I would like your opinion about class and race choices based on your experience. I'm sure everyone has gone though the calculator (e.g. http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/talents/), but I'm looking for a specific feedback how you feel the combinations work for you after already playing for few hours, what is really good, what is bad and what you didn't expect when you selected the character (in all areas including talents and shard limitations). Please start the response with specifying what combination are you playing and try to be brief/concise.

I hope we can make a sensible comparison in this thread that could be used for both developers and new players.

Looking forward to your responses!

PS: To stimulate feedback I will send a AoM booster packs to random answers to this thread based on number of responses on 4.2.2016 (<50 1 AoM pack,50+ 2 AoM packs)

Kingrags
01-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Shin hare mage.

Hard mode, the inital deck makes the first encounters realy hard. The shin hare +3 health buff matters a lot and is great. The shin hare spell i also a lott better than it first looks. quick speed removal i great even though oponent gets to draw a card. Playing it on your own troops for cantrips is however rather weak, 4 sp to draw one then discard one is simply put more available.

gjaustin
01-28-2016, 08:49 AM
Yeah, the Shin'hare need a little work. +2 dungeon lives just isn't worth it. Maybe at level 15 it'll be better, but even then that talent seems pretty weak. 1-cost Shin'hare aren't exactly powerful.

The 25% chance to create a Battle Hopper for the Cleric is really bad too, since it's easy to go an entire game without it doing anything. I'm surprised it wasn't attached to the Blessing ("Your Blessings have 'Create a Battle Hopper and put it into play'").

Jormungandr
01-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Human mage :

Deck is pretty solid, although there are some dead cards. Health total is low, but I haven't really run into that being a huge deal yet. Definitely a liability compared to other classes in particular. The spell you get is expensive enough that you may not be able to use it in most fights unless you just save up for it and don't use the draw/discard spell. However, it does make a pretty big difference in combat as you can cast it at quick speed and revert whatever bomb an opponent has to a random 2-cost beast. Generally you'll want to do this in combat, either with you blocking the creature you plan to transform or when they block one of your bigger troops with it to make this removal. In a pinch you can also cast it on a troop not in combat if the troop has abilities that are causing you trouble. I would never suggest playing it on your own troops except in dire circumstances, as there aren't very many 2 cost beasts that are great, so you'll be spending a lot of spell points for a creature that's only marginally better than what you already had. It is worth keeping in mind that it reverts as well as transforms, so if you get a bad effect on one of your troops that you absolutely have to get rid of, it's possible you'll want to do this, as well. Again, though, in the "last resort" category.

Necrotic Cleric :

The armor is great! It's a minor effect overall, but it really does make a difference. Deck is okay, not great, but you have a good starting health, and that with the armor allows you to power through bad draws to get to see more cards before you're in danger of dying. I think this combination could be really powerful once the deck is tuned.

Tomrash
01-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Shin'hare Cleric

Tutorial was very hard, which seems to be the case with Shin'hare in general. Otherwiese it's awesome, better then i expected. Race/Class Combo skill (when you summon a shin'hare, summon a battle hopper with 25% chance) is nice for swarming, esp. since with all that small troops, it triggers quite often. Cleric survivability + shin'hare health realy is overkill. Shin'hare also have some nice clerics: Keeper of the Wounded Petal + lifedrain got me to more than 50 live (more than 70 once) in a few encounters, and Bucktooth Comander + Equipment + Combo skill means I'm often getting Buff + 2 troops at once. I got my fair share of fun.

I also tried Shin'hare mage a bit. You're so much less survivable, but spells seem fun. I like using units with the same race+class as my character, but shin'hare only have 3 mages, 3 really bad/situational/costly mages. Overall i prefer cleric as shin'hare.

judas42
01-28-2016, 09:04 AM
Elf mage.

The elf +6 health is great for mage, some free dust can't be wrong and the spell (permanent +3/+3 for 7SP as "quick action") has often turned the tide. Don't forget that you can use the spell after blockers are declared or defensively (e.g. as reaction to Burn).

The starter deck is pretty good (IMHO, for a starter deck, didn't try other races/classes yet). Lots of actions to buff your troops (swiftstrike, rage). After a few dungeons, I switched to mono wild ramp with Jadiim (great with Smash to the Ground + equipment), Eternal Guardian, Eye of Creation, Wrathwood Colossus and Argus. Not exactly a cheap deck, but very consistent.

Elf mage is restricted to wild, ruby and artifacts at first, with more options at the higher levels.

Next character will be Vennen cleric, since most of my PvE packs so far had cards for that one.

Angmar
01-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Orc Cleric

The tutorial was extremely easy. Just put ruby aura on whatever rage troop you have and its gg.

After the tutorial the racial has continued to be great, but the class feels.... odd. The starting life and hand size are excellent. The talents feel irrelevant to the point I could probably spec into nothing and almost every game would have the same outcome. I think one of the biggest issues is that several of the good Orc clerics are rare/legendary - Quash, Gortezuma, Xocoy, Te'talca - so you can't really fill a deck with them at the current level cap.

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Elf Warior:

The tutorial was pretty easy. The starter deck works pretty well, and I can't really complain about any of the talents. I feel like the life upon life from the Elf and Warrior combo is a bit gratuitous. But on the plus side it means I don't feel bad taking the talent that cost 7 life to start you with 2 charges (that's juts -1 compared to vanilla warrior). Combined with the one that lowers the cost of battle, you can use it for an effective ramp on turn 2 (that does damage to the opponent as a side effect) and that's pretty amazing.

I also took the free +5 life one just because I always choose to draw first anyway so it's all upside. Most people will probably not want to do that as life is not something this combo lacks and most people prefer to play first with the sort of deck this character encourages.

I do find it odd that I can use more rare/legendary artifacts than I can Wold or Ruby cards at level 2, and that looking ahead to level 9 uncommons never go above 2 but rare & legendaries increase to 3 in wild and ruby.

Also I think the female Elf warrior portrat is my favorite in part because it looks like she has no idea what to do with that sword, which somehow fits using the battle power as a resource source instead of for killing things. I also enjoy how the Elf tutorial presents the elven society as something like a perpetual strike party for a Shakespear production.

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 09:42 AM
Necrotic Cleric :

The armor is great! It's a minor effect overall, but it really does make a difference. Deck is okay, not great, but you have a good starting health, and that with the armor allows you to power through bad draws to get to see more cards before you're in danger of dying. I think this combination could be really powerful once the deck is tuned.

I'll agree with this. The armor stands out as my favorite part about this combo.
I think it actually is a pretty big deal as a lot of decks in the early content lead with a 1/x and it essentially makes the first one worthless as the AI will attack into your armor even if it doesn't have a followup to make the attack matter.

I also think the wide instead of tall shard grid presents an interesting challenge. You can use prety much any non-wild heavy shard combo, but you'll never get to cut loose with the rares/legendaries.

[edit] I forgot to mention, that the necrotic backstory really makes the humans look like jerks. I find that amusing because in general the Ardent are supposed to be the "good guys" but the necrotic perspective really undermines that.

Tomrash
01-28-2016, 09:47 AM
Elf Warior:

I do find it odd that I can use more rare/legendary artifacts than I can Wold or Ruby cards at level 2, and that looking ahead to level 9 uncommons never go above 2 but rare & legendaries increase to 3 in wild and ruby.

I think this got to do with the fact that elves are a lot about epic stories, which are in turn about magical artifacts (thus more rare/legendary artifact cards) and about legendary heroes (high rarity ruby/wild cards).

Shin'hare on the other hand are more about sending out waves of nameless little hoppers and don't have that much heroic figures, which is reflected in their grid prefering rather low-rarity wild and blood cards, and relativily few artifacts (as i recon shin'hare equipment is cheap to supply such huge amounts of troops),

This leads to the shin'hare grid seaming more balanced/logical, but i think it all has something to do with lore.

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 09:56 AM
I think this got to do with the fact that elves are a lot about epic stories, which are in turn about magical artifacts (thus more rare/legendary artifact cards) and about legendary heroes (high rarity ruby/wild cards).

Shin'hare on the other hand are more about sending out waves of nameless little hoppers and don't have that much heroic figures, which is reflected in their grid prefering rather low-rarity wild and blood cards, and relativily few artifacts (as i recon shin'hare equipment is cheap to supply such huge amounts of troops),

This leads to the shin'hare grid seaming more balanced/logical, but i think it all has something to do with lore.

That is the justification I eventually thought up as well. Though I still give it 50/50 odds it's a typo in the database somewhere.

Svenn
01-28-2016, 09:59 AM
That is the justification I eventually thought up as well. Though I still give it 50/50 odds it's a typo in the database somewhere.

Well, Elves DO have a talent that gives them a bonus for having rare/legendary/AA cards in their deck...

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Well, Elves DO have a talent that gives them a bonus for having rare/legendary/AA cards in their deck...

We're getting a bit off topic here, but that talent also gives them the bonus for extended art and they also get bonus stardust from another talent. They could EA their commons and uncommons in addition to building top heavy with rares and legendaries.

Really though my feedback is that my current elf deck is stomping though with robots and constructs (Warbot Dropships, and Syyn) instead of using plants or wild critters because of the caps and that doesn't quite feel like "working as intended".

Lafoote
01-28-2016, 10:53 AM
I think the Venin cleric seems particularly well designed. However, I don't really want that significant a part of my play experience revolving around egg strategy. Am I the only one?

Svenn
01-28-2016, 10:59 AM
We're getting a bit off topic here, but that talent also gives them the bonus for extended art and they also get bonus stardust from another talent. They could EA their commons and uncommons in addition to building top heavy with rares and legendaries.

Really though my feedback is that my current elf deck is stomping though with robots and constructs (Warbot Dropships, and Syyn) instead of using plants or wild critters because of the caps and that doesn't quite feel like "working as intended".

I was just pointing that out because it lends to the ideas of Elves being about the more fancy, high end stuff... which meshes with the having more rare/legendary slots.

Vorpal
01-28-2016, 11:07 AM
I am enjoying the orc warrior - battle doing 3 damage makes it a pretty nice removal.

Human Cleric seems very strong, to me.

It's interesting how much of an impact the different shard grids play in what is a 'good' race/class combo.

I wish I had more character slots - I want an elf mage but then maybe also something that can be a B/D cleric!

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 11:48 AM
I was just pointing that out because it lends to the ideas of Elves being about the more fancy, high end stuff... which meshes with the having more rare/legendary slots.

Sure. If it were just the top heavy level 9 grid, I'd completely get that. What seems odd is that at low levels artifacts out-pace wild and ruby. Which seems weirdly un-elf-ey and gives the impression that it might have been the uncommon slots in wild/ruby that were supposed to go to 3 not the rare/legendary slots in artifact that was supposed to go to 2 (because that's be a more obvious progression and would feel more elf-ey than "and now your legendary robot friends can help you out").

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 11:50 AM
I am enjoying the orc warrior - battle doing 3 damage makes it a pretty nice removal.

Human Cleric seems very strong, to me.

It's interesting how much of an impact the different shard grids play in what is a 'good' race/class combo.

I wish I had more character slots - I want an elf mage but then maybe also something that can be a B/D cleric!

I wish I didn't have to finish the tutorial to see the grid.
We should probably be able to peruse it at character creation.

Vylokx
01-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Necrotic Warrior

As an altoholic's aside, I actually took the time to level 10 different race/class combos (one for each race, but 2 Necrotics and 2 Shin'hare) to level 2 to collect those sweet PVE uniques before ultimately deciding to go with this pale badass for my first full play-through and I'm not at all disappointed with my choice.

I was drawn to the Warrior class because I wanted to build a fast, yet durable, yet thematic aggro blitz deck and the Necrotic race gave me a couple cool survival-based talents, faster EXP gain, and most importantly the great flexibility of the lvl 1 shard grid. Okay, okay, the Necrotic Warrior champ's sick artwork really did all the selling, not gonna lie!

I came to the realization very early on, possibly even in preview season, that I absolutely love building around Affinity talents, and Warrior in particular just seemed to possess the most ridiculous talent when paired with Arena Regular...shocking discovery, Vylokx! I know. Not my most original Tier Fun deck ever, but due to the rarity restriction I ended up with a fairly unique hybrid Human/Orc charge synergy deck that breezed through a lot of otherwise tough challenges. Ruby/Diamond was my most reliable deck choice, with a splash of Sapphire via dual shards to activate Queensguard and War Prodigy, but no actual Sapphire troops or spells. I did eventually utilize my full collection of rares, commons and uncommons while deck-building, but decided to ignore my legendary collection for this initial play-through.

I came to the conclusion quite quickly that the Warrior Affinity in those shards is VERY strong for fast clearing, even with only a full set of common and uncommon Warrior troops, since my rares weren't a major factor until level 5 when I could add 2 of each instead of 1. Abusing the equipment for Arena Regular and Brutal Commander, as well as the lesser-known Furyseeker and Deathless Guardian bonuses for ultimate Warrior-only troop synergy, was amazing and felt very powerful. That being said, it was not the only key to my success. Aside from Affinity, my main talent build really came down to the Warlord and free talents maximizing my charge power's damage and healing output, causing a discard each time and only using it to nuke troublesome troops when absolutely necessary. The supplemental healing from my exclusive Necrotic Warrior passive ended up saving me from ruin on way too many occasions to count.

Overall, I'm fairly sure Human Warrior may be a bit stronger for an all-in aggro approach to the build I ended up with, but the insane life drain power when fully Warlord specced should not be underestimated! Also, I am really looking forward to eventually gaining the 2 extra talent points at lvl 15 for more build flexibility, as well as adding the very scary, yet intriguing lvl 30 Black Knight talent WAY down the line. I did notice that Black Knight seems to be the only race/class combo in the entire game with an actual drawback highlighted in red (EEP! My poor, poor Mercs of the future are doomed!!!), but adding even more OP rush strength to my charge power, while getting to actually go first for a change sounds ridiculous!

Sorry I couldn't keep this brief, but this Campaign mode is just way too awesome to sell it even a bit short. Fave! Game! Ever! All my props in the world go to Ben Stoll and his R&D team! :cool:

NoahBuddy
01-28-2016, 12:59 PM
i chose Necrotic Mage and went the self found route up to and including the 1st dungeon. it is a decent deck and i didn't have much trouble with most encounters. the only fights i lost were the piranha and driad. my only complaint about this race/class deck is it does not feel very mage-y. there are only 3 actions in it. which are abominate, bravery, and atrophy. i have since changed the deck because i got bored playing the vanilla starter but have not played it yet. the racials are ok i just need to figure out a good shard base for a 4 shard deck. the talent choices( elemental affinity & speli sprites) are not really what i wanted for a necrotic but the soothe saying does come in handy.

i really wanted to play necrotic and mage but this combo is not exactly what i expected. i'm sure it will be better with my full collection though.

ThomasHunter
01-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Reading this thread seems to imply that a troop's class is somehow affected in each (?) of the trees. I am only a lowly level 2 Elven Cleric thus far and haven't seen this come up.

Can anyone expound on this detail if true?

Thanks and happy gaming!
Taleisin

Svenn
01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Reading this thread seems to imply that a troop's class is somehow affected in each (?) of the trees. I am only a lowly level 2 Elven Cleric thus far and haven't seen this come up.

Can anyone expound on this detail if true?

Thanks and happy gaming!
Taleisin

There's a talent for each class that's "Affinity: Class" (so, "Affinity: Clerics" for example). Gives bonuses to troops of those types.

WolfCrypt
01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
No one is into Coyotles I see..

I been playing a Coyotle mage and have all three spells but being a mage is really hard.. Coyotles do have a decent spell called Tornado but it can hit everything for 0 which is a pain as you often wanna use it when you want everything to die. Their racial talents are pretty sweet. Children of Zodiac gices them like 5 random Zodiac Blessings and if your a Cleric then you have ten of these and any Blessing oriented talent will affect these.

Lore wise they are interesting they actually pity the Shin'hare calling them more or less soulless due to their kill each other nature. This leads to them having no ancestors because spiritually speaking they believe in a twisted sense of reincarnation thus any Shin that ever dies can't become a ghost which is why they have no ancestral spirits to guide them.

frychikn
01-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Honestly I think Coyotle are the best race, so i am surprised nobody has mentioned them yet either. I'm right now just starting a cleric coyotle and this is going to be my first deck where I use cards from my collection.

Cyndus
01-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Shin'hare warrior:

I'm going to join in on the shin'hare starter deck being rough. Its not horrible, but it relies pretty heavily on either chaining Evolves or getting out a Rune-Ear Elite combo, and when neither come up (or more often, you shard flood, 25 shards is a lot for a deck that curves out at 4 costs), you just kind of sit there hoping the opponent doesn't have a way around your hoppers. Thankfully, Warriors have 28 health to start, so people have come meat to chew through while you're waiting.

After the tutorial, I overhauled the deck into a classic shin'hare swarming aggro deck (No recruiters, painfully), and it was fine for a while... But there are a number of later encounters which have really easy access to aoe damage, and at that point a swarmer deck just kind of falls apart unless it can tear through faster than they can pull it out.

On the upside, Warrior seems pretty well built for supporting this kind of deck in the later levels of Zone 1, since you can pretty nicely charge power down anything that gets in the way of your ronins and militia while you're curving up to drop a commander and start swarming proper. I went heavy into the charge power for talents, and combined with the racial -1 cost for the race-class combo, it results in a 3 cost battle for three damage with no damage taken in return, which is really good removal early, and since you start with 28 health, you can probably afford dipping down to 21 to get the bonus charges and be able to battle turn one if you need it.

I've yet to see how this works out for the end of the zone (At dungeon three right now), but I suspect not well, since the trend of aoe damage is probably going to grow.

Vorpal
01-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Necrotic Warrior

As an altoholic's aside, I actually took the time to level 10 different race/class combos (one for each race, but 2 Necrotics and 2 Shin'hare) to level 2 to collect those sweet PVE uniques

What PVE uniques? I'm not sure I understand what this means :p

Cyndus
01-28-2016, 02:42 PM
He's referring to the mentors from the tutorial, you get their card at the end of Crayburn, and at the least every race gets a different one, I'm unsure if each class/race combo has a different one, but probably.

Turtlewing
01-28-2016, 02:43 PM
What PVE uniques? I'm not sure I understand what this means :p

The card you get for completing the tutorial dungeon. It's a troop version of the champion you duel with in the first encounter.

Xexist
01-28-2016, 03:47 PM
The card you get for completing the tutorial dungeon. It's a troop version of the champion you duel with in the first encounter.

lol what are they called? I dont even recall seeing :p

Daer
01-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Shin'Hare Clerics get Sora.

Cyndus
01-28-2016, 04:23 PM
I can confirm Shin'hare Warriors get Sora as well, so its probably just one for each race. Still, would be useful to run through with the other classes to get extra copies for consistency, a number of them are pretty good.

Daer
01-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Necrotic get Iddi.

BenRGamer
01-28-2016, 04:54 PM
I played Shin'hare Cleric through the tutorial, I thought it was fine. I didn't have any real trouble--didn't lose a fight at least.

Didn't play much more than that, because I switched to warrior and stuck to that one.

3-Cost Battle with Warrior Affinity is amazing for spot removal. Especially if you boost the damage up to 4 and take Parry.

To take both +Battle Damage talents, though, you'll most likely need to take the 0-cost talent Fury, which gives 2 charges at the start of the game with a penalty of -7 starting health. This penalty can be mitigated, though, with the 0-cost talent weight, which gives +5 health at the cost of not being able to go first.

With 3 cost battle, though, you can use it on the first round with Fury and take out any troop they manage to play in the first turn--and still have charges left if you can play a warrior with the affinity talent.

Fateanomaly
01-28-2016, 07:04 PM
The shin hare is there to make the other race good by comparision. Take the orc warrior vs the shinhare warrior. Orc gets +1dmg for battle which is a 2 points talent but shinhare gets -1 cost which is a 1 point talent.

Mejis
01-28-2016, 07:08 PM
Coyotle cleric for me as my first character.
Am loving it so far, and going the Cory challenge route.
The extra talent point was awesome as at level 2 I activated monument of faith (name correct?) that gives all my troops steadfast every game. This has been quite pivotal in many games (at least early on). Not a bad starting deck, but very much enjoyed quickly modifying it as I earned more cards. The temptation is there to splash in some higher rarities from my collection,but for now I'm happy going the earned-cards-only route.
I like the cleric's blessing mechanic, and the coyotle version is very good when you happen to draw it. Haven't looked too much further into the skill tree yet though.

Cyndus
01-28-2016, 07:20 PM
I don't really agree, Fate. It depends on what and when you use battle for, since while orc can get a 5 damage battle every four, shin'hare can get a 4 damage battle every three, and at least in adventure zone one, in the main story a lot of things I find I want to battle are toughness 3 or less because they have painful effects that need to go immediately, rather than because they're big and bulky. Its mainly the difference between casting it more and hitting more bodies with it every game, or hitting each body for more damage.

I don't know what the level 30 is for Orc Warriors, but Shin'hare ones will get to start with a Cottontail Recruiter on the board every game, which will beef up the archetypical bunny swarm deck quite a bit if you can keep it alive for a few turns. As for other racials, while the +3 life isn't that amazing, the +2 dungeon lives will come in handy in the longer dungeons, where you're bound to rack up a few losses to bad rng alone. It has its uses, is what I'm trying to say.

BenRGamer
01-28-2016, 07:48 PM
The shin hare is there to make the other race good by comparision. Take the orc warrior vs the shinhare warrior. Orc gets +1dmg for battle which is a 2 points talent but shinhare gets -1 cost which is a 1 point talent.

Eh, not really. If you're using battle for removal, getting it out more often is more important.

And if you're using it against champions directly, which is better, 8 dmg for 6 charges or 10 damage for 8?

Fateanomaly
01-28-2016, 07:51 PM
But it is also a fact at 4 charge 3dmg, orcs have an extra 1 point talent. Then they can use that point to pay for affinity warrior letting them battle earlier that the shin hare.
Orc lv 30 gets: your trained troops in all zone gets rage 1.

Cyndus
01-28-2016, 08:06 PM
You're right in that part, without any points spent there's a 1 point advantage. But once you start spending points, you're not going to notice it unless you're thinking about it, because that advantage doesn't actually give you an extra point to spend unless the orc doesn't take any damage increases compared to a shin'hare who doesn't take the cost decrease. The cost decrease, though, is the easiest way to Parry, which is really good, and one of the two + damage sources also gives +1 damage to every source of combat damage you deal, which is amazing. So then we get back to this argument over whether a 3 charge 3 power or a 4 charge 4 power is better, and at that point its a fight by fight basis at best and just opinion otherwise.

As for the level 30, that actually sounds really good. Nice.

Lafoote
01-28-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm playing with a Coyotle cleric. Any cleric with Ozawa is going to own. Any Cleric that can give Ozawa Crush is going to be even better.

There seem to be a lot of Coyotle Warlocks and Rogues, but not a lot of Priests and Mages. I think the humans probably have more clerics available to abuse the mechanics with. With set 4(or PvE cards) that may change.

Regarding the Coyotle themselves, my current Zodiac Blessing is Awesome. 2 life and a free troop for 0? Sign me up! What is unclear is when the Zodiac in Hex changes.

Mejis
01-28-2016, 10:40 PM
I'm playing with a Coyotle cleric. Any cleric with Ozawa is going to own. Any Cleric that can give Ozawa Crush is going to be even better.

There seem to be a lot of Coyotle Warlocks and Rogues, but not a lot of Priests and Mages. I think the humans probably have more clerics available to abuse the mechanics with. With set 4(or PvE cards) that may change.

Regarding the Coyotle themselves, my current Zodiac Blessing is Awesome. 2 life and a free troop for 0? Sign me up! What is unclear is when the Zodiac in Hex changes.

Funnily enough, the whole of the crayburn castle beginning I had zodiac blessing in my opening hand. I thought it was some bug/I'd read the skill incorrectly and was thinking this was OP as anything to get a free troop at the start of each game. Turns out I was just heavily under the charms of Kismet for those games.

AdamAoE2
01-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Human Mage feels extremely underwhelming so far. For starters, the extremely low health total is brutal against the huge amount of aggro decks in this first adventure zone. For example:

- The Burning Goliath encounter was insanely difficult. For a level 5-6 encounter as a human mage, this encounter is pretty much unwinnable unless you use a silly gimmick like Deathless Guardian with equipment or Drowned Shrines. Even then, the average player is going to get annihilated. I was lucky I had access to both the rares and the equipment.
- Wiktor in Devonshire keep killed me on turn 2. He was on the play, and starting with a 2/3 that pings you every turn in addition to the 1/2 crush zombies that become bigger and bigger for each source of damage, and I was dead before I could even do anything.
- Mechanics like Burning are extra punishing to mages, because of the low health total. An early double ignite (1 Cost Action - put 2 burning counters), and the mage is going to be taking a total of 10 damage from that alone.
- The Dust Bustard mesa even proved an extremely difficult challenge due to the quick damage output of the 3/2 speed and other aggro cards.

I am a fairly competent player with a full playset of all PvP/PvE cards, and I'm having trouble clearing content in the first zone. I can't imagine what a new player would experience as a Mage.

I would be okay with the extremely low health total, if the talents helped mitigate that, but the mage talents at lower tier are simply not that great, especially as a human. Most of the Mage talents revolve around generating spell power, but it simply is not great for human mages in particular. Polymorph: Beast is mediocre at best, and bad at worst. (Polymorphing an opponent's troop into Uruunaz's 2 drop for instance, or an Attack Dog which is still a moderate threat.)

In conclusion, I think Human Mages need a ton of help, and would caution anybody without an extensive collection to stay away for now.

velk
01-28-2016, 10:55 PM
So then we get back to this argument over whether a 3 charge 3 power or a 4 charge 4 power is better, and at that point its a fight by fight basis at best and just opinion otherwise.

3-4 extends the target pool to things designed to avoid removal, so it's pretty significant - think Phenteo, Reese and Angel of Dawn. It's also pressured from the other direction, it's extremely likely you are starting with +2 charges, so the first use would be turn 1 vs turn 2 - both of these are likely to be delayed in favor of juicier targets, so the lower cost has less impact than you'd first think.

Cyndus
01-28-2016, 11:49 PM
While that's true later, in Zone 1 I'm finding that being able to drop battle turn 1 can sometimes be a good help, but the bigger consideration is being able to drop the second one turn 4 instead of turn 6 (assuming no affinity drops down). By that point, the enemy is starting to gather pieces, or has a couple of key blockers that you have to break through, and most of the AI are either dropping things with 3 or less toughness that have annoying abilities, or things far out of target range that just need a good Kill (Decaying Giant, ugh), and having the second battle then can really help keep momentum, especially since warrior is heavily incentivised to run troop heavy, which tends to be aggro, and if aggro stalls out it tends to just drop off, and shin'hare in particular often runs weenies that will need the help before you have rune ears or commanders down.

I do agree that +1 damage is great, I just think -1 cost has its uses as well. It'll probably turn out that one eclipses the other in later zones (either there's enough + damage support in talents and being able to cast more eclipses each one hitting harder, or there won't be and higher damage to hit the bigger targets pulled out by later opponents eclipses being able to hit more bodies over the game), but for now, I think they're both as good as one another at the moment, and HexEnt probably wants to keep it that way.

Quantius
01-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Human Mage feels extremely underwhelming so far. For starters, the extremely low health total is brutal against the huge amount of aggro decks in this first adventure zone. For example:

- The Burning Goliath encounter was insanely difficult. For a level 5-6 encounter as a human mage, this encounter is pretty much unwinnable unless you use a silly gimmick like Deathless Guardian with equipment or Drowned Shrines. Even then, the average player is going to get annihilated. I was lucky I had access to both the rares and the equipment.
- Wiktor in Devonshire keep killed me on turn 2. He was on the play, and starting with a 2/3 that pings you every turn in addition to the 1/2 crush zombies that become bigger and bigger for each source of damage, and I was dead before I could even do anything.
- Mechanics like Burning are extra punishing to mages, because of the low health total. An early double ignite (1 Cost Action - put 2 burning counters), and the mage is going to be taking a total of 10 damage from that alone.
- The Dust Bustard mesa even proved an extremely difficult challenge due to the quick damage output of the 3/2 speed and other aggro cards.

I am a fairly competent player with a full playset of all PvP/PvE cards, and I'm having trouble clearing content in the first zone. I can't imagine what a new player would experience as a Mage.

I would be okay with the extremely low health total, if the talents helped mitigate that, but the mage talents at lower tier are simply not that great, especially as a human. Most of the Mage talents revolve around generating spell power, but it simply is not great for human mages in particular. Polymorph: Beast is mediocre at best, and bad at worst. (Polymorphing an opponent's troop into Uruunaz's 2 drop for instance, or an Attack Dog which is still a moderate threat.)

In conclusion, I think Human Mages need a ton of help, and would caution anybody without an extensive collection to stay away for now.

I'm playing human mage as well and I agree with this. I just finished being slaughtered in Devonshire dungeon (I did beat the cloaked guy after losing 2 lives and then lost to the next wildpyre boss).

Burning seems like it was designed with negating armor in mind. It's absolutely crazy against human mage with 14-16 health. Burning + If you don't play this card you take 2 damage + troops coming at you = Consistent turn 3 death.

And that wildpyre guy . . . Deal 1 damage to each champion power - okay not so bad. Passive ability: When you take damage deal 1 damage to each opposing champion and troop. Whhaaaaaaa? Not only am I burning, facing down opposing 3/1 swiftstrike troops that cause burning when they attack and make one of your cards deal 2 damage to you, this guy can wipe pretty much all 1 or 2 drops (with 1 defense) I may have managed to get on board. If he goes first, I'm putting down my 3rd shard looking at an empty board, half my life gone and 2 troops that will swing next turn. I'm running mono-W right now, but I'm thinking I'll have to go W/R Life Gain/Burn hybrid for this dungeon to maybe have a chance. Anything that doesn't cost 1 or 2, is basically too slow to play when your health pool is so small.

Vorpal
01-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Good to hear about the human mage. I had previously decided to try an elf mage just for the health boost.

Orc warriors seem like they would do well with a troop/aggro/training heavy focus.

Looking at the warriors available, diamond has by far the most, so I was thinking a human warrior would want to focus on the 'battle more often/for more damage/gain a charge every time a warrior is played' route.

Raith
01-29-2016, 08:25 AM
I played a human warrior with the free talent for 2 charges and minus 7 health. So my starting health was only 18 with only drawing 6 cards. The burning was actually really tough and often overwhelming. I definitely ended up being more health gain oriented with early removal to make it through. Some of the fights seemed too hard on the play, but that's what dungeon lives are for I think. The only fight that really bothered me was the one that added 2 burning at the beginning of every turn if you were already burning. This one was an instant loss as soon as the opponent got one burn on me. Maybe there is a way to remove burning that I don't know about, but that sucked.

Turtlewing
01-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Human Mage feels extremely underwhelming so far.

I started one last night. It took all three lives to beat the tutorial dungeon.

Frankly I think the mage class is just poorly designed.

First off, spellpower seems needlessly random. Additionally the starting spells are too powerful (and therefore too expensive). Most of the talent tree is dedicated not to learning new spells but to generating enough spell power to cast the 2 you get chosen for you and the one you might choose yourself. And on top of that they hit you with 14 starting life.

They do warn that mage is an "advanced" class in the description but I think aside from a few races that get vastly better race class combo traits it's more of a dud.

Svenn
01-29-2016, 09:07 AM
I started one last night. It took all three lives to beat the tutorial dungeon.

Frankly I think the mage class is just poorly designed.

First off, spellpower seems needlessly random. Additionally the starting spells are too powerful (and therefore too expensive). Most of the talent tree is dedicated not to learning new spells but to generating enough spell power to cast the 2 you get chosen for you and the one you might choose yourself. And on top of that they hit you with 14 starting life.

They do warn that mage is an "advanced" class in the description but I think aside from a few races that get vastly better race class combo traits it's more of a dud.

I believe it was mentioned in one of the previews that mage is supposed to follow the typical mage structure of very weak to start and super powerful end game. Since we've only got 1/3 of the tree... I'd imagine they are going to get a lot more powerful.

Also, I'm playing 2 mages right now (Elf and Necrotic) and I feel very OP. I haven't even tried another class yet, but if this is the weakest then I'm finding the PvE to just be too easy.

Turtlewing
01-29-2016, 09:22 AM
I believe it was mentioned in one of the previews that mage is supposed to follow the typical mage structure of very weak to start and super powerful end game. Since we've only got 1/3 of the tree... I'd imagine they are going to get a lot more powerful.

Also, I'm playing 2 mages right now (Elf and Necrotic) and I feel very OP. I haven't even tried another class yet, but if this is the weakest then I'm finding the PvE to just be too easy.

Intentionally copying bad design doesn't really excuse bad design. The linear fighters quadratic mages was a bad idea when D&D did it and it's still a bad idea.

Elf might just be an OP race honestly. In the case of elf mage, their racial traits fix the life issue and their racial spell is pretty nuts. I haven't tried a necrotic mage yet.

But so far mage is easily the weakest class I've tried.

Gryffe
01-29-2016, 10:01 AM
On the topic of Nimble vs Violent. There's two thing to take into account.

First, decreasing costs are much more profitable than increasing benefit. Think of it this way : currently, you can upgrade your battle skill up to 4 damages. With the addition of the orc trait, that's 5 damages, so a 25% gain in raw power. But we only have 1/3 of the tree yet. If further talents allow you to deal more damages, the impact of the orc racial is diminishing - if you can deal 2 more damages at level 30, up to 6 points per battle, orc racial only provide ~17% more efficiency. On the other hand, the lower the cost of battle, the bigger you gain from a flat reduction of its cost. Right now, you can have battle cost only 4 charge. With the Shin'Hare power, it's only 3 charges, so 25% more efficient. If, at level 30, you can afford to diminish the cost of battle to 3, then the Shin'Hare racial jump to a 33% efficiency. In other word, Shin'Hare racial as more value in the long-term.

Second, for every non-damage talent that modify the battle power, you multiply the efficiency of Nimble while Violent stagnate. For example, if you have Berserking and Concussive strike, for 12 charge power, an orc warrior will discard 3 cards and deals 3 additional damages while a shin'warrior will discard 4 cards and deals 4 additional damages. Then again, like I mentioned in point 1, the less your battle cost, the more efficient it is. Shin'Hare are 33% more powerful than other warriors when it comes to producing side effects, but if battle cost only 3 and 2 for them, then at 12 charge power spent, it goes up to 50% efficiency.

AdamAoE2
01-29-2016, 12:33 PM

I think my biggest complaint right now is that mages simply don't have enough oomph to justify losing such a huge chunk of health. Is the ability to draw/discard a card or the ability to roll the dice on transforming a problematic troop into a (hopefully) less troublesome troop really worth the loss in 8 health you'd get from playing a cleric? Consider that you can play the same exact deck as a human mage or a human cleric.

I can't think of a single game I won because I was a mage, but I can think of plenty I lost because I was a mage. Perhaps this problem is mitigated by a different race/class combo, but mages without a racial health boost are fighting an uphill battle in my opinion.

Here is my talent build for comparison: http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/talents/#SHVtYW4uTWFnZV9hYmZrbG1ucG9xcnM=

Silvanos
01-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Elf mage:
The elf bonus HP makes up for the mages low starting HP nicely. The +3/+3 is immensely useful in early parts of campaign. I almost never use the draw/discard spell because making my best troop even better is often the key in the early levels where there is a pile of guys on either side. I'm slowly migrating my R/W deck into ramp, using only cards that I've gotten so far. The Elf trainer (Nerissa) is also a really great card. One of the better trainers IMO. For reference, I'm only to the Coyotle city.

Svenn
01-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Elf mage:
The elf bonus HP makes up for the mages low starting HP nicely. The +3/+3 is immensely useful in early parts of campaign. I almost never use the draw/discard spell because making my best troop even better is often the key in the early levels where there is a pile of guys on either side. I'm slowly migrating my R/W deck into ramp, using only cards that I've gotten so far. The Elf trainer (Nerissa) is also a really great card. One of the better trainers IMO. For reference, I'm only to the Coyotle city.

That sounds almost identical to my experience playing an Elf Mage so far. I'm slightly past where you are. The +3/+3 is insane, especially early on, and especially at Quick speed. It's easy to fool the AI with. I swapped out some of the vanilla cards for some of the cards I've earned along the way (Nerissa, Ankylosaurus, Adaptatron, and maybe one or two others) and this deck has been able to get through most PvE encounters up to this point. The Sea Hag gave me a little trouble, but wasn't too bad.

knightofeffect
01-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Just to chime in here, ive also got an Elf Mage on the Cory challenge and it is really really strong. Arguably the best race-class spell and negating the mage squishiness is huge.

I also have a Dwarf cleric charge deck around storm cloud, reactor bots, lightning elemental, etc. It is really fun and pretty darn strong.

Finally, im going to build and Elf warrior as it seems like the most powerful to me atm. You can build it to be a better Cressida ramp deck that can still use majesty. Starting with 2 charges, 25 health, and a hero ability that does 2 face dmg and accelerates 2/0 on turn 2 seems silly. Should be able to turn 2 majesty very consistently.

Xexist
01-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Just to chime in here, ive also got an Elf Mage on the Cory challenge and it is really really strong. Arguably the best race-class spell and negating the mage squishiness is huge.

I also have a Dwarf cleric charge deck around storm cloud, reactor bots, lightning elemental, etc. It is really fun and pretty darn strong.

Finally, im going to build and Elf warrior as it seems like the most powerful to me atm. You can build it to be a better Cressida ramp deck that can still use majesty. Starting with 2 charges, 25 health, and a hero ability that does 2 face dmg and accelerates 2/0 on turn 2 seems silly. Should be able to turn 2 majesty very consistently.

getting it into your hand will be harder than casting it haha

nicosharp
01-29-2016, 03:56 PM
I found Human Mage to be very rewarding at level 6. I can already feel the power ramp up playing the class for each level after 6. An early 8 cards in hand is a huge advantage. Especially at level 8 when you get access to 3x copies of rares. The possibilities with an increased hand-size and more rares in deck, make the content at that point, a lot more trivial. Before level 6 however, felt like I was trying some really lame arena challenge.

Hadry
01-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Im playing a Coyote Mage, around lvl 6 now. So far i havent many troubles progressing, tho now i find it a bit weak, but its mostly to certain mechanics (the chained goliath is the best example IMO, 16 HP isnt enough :/). I wasnt very lucky with rewards for my deck so far, but i will farm/lvl other chars to get more cards and keep trying.
Also i find the coyote spell a but... lacking. After saving spellpower to cast it, have it do 0 dmg is a bit sad. I know it can be very powerfull, but getting nothing for casting it doesnt seems right.

wolzarg
01-29-2016, 04:54 PM

I played it and enjoyed it and as far as i understand i have beaten every encounter in act 1 with it. That's not to say i don't find the incredibly low hp punishing even outright dumb in some encounters like the chained where you can't realistically mitigate the damage outside of very specific cards. But i think those are all mage problems not human mage problems.(maybe not elfs that +6 hp is ridonk as a mage and the spell is easily top of the pop as well.)

Also thanks for netting me a booster here is my talent tree and one i found to be much much stronger than what you were running no offense but you basically wasted 3 points on nothing.

http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/talents/#SHVtYW4uTWFnZV9hYmNmaGltbnBvcXJz

whiteyzz
01-30-2016, 02:18 AM
Coyotle
Children of the Zodiac: Zodiac Blessings are put into your deck... which are 0 cost actions that draw you a card and range from... mana ramp to a free turn, and can be pushed up by the cleric passive

Wisdom: 1 more talent point, hey it's good I wont lie.

Elf
Artistic: 25% chance to get a random stardust, this is pretty good if you're dungeon running

Long life: 6 more health... the second strongest health up (Coyotle warrior has one of the strongest seeing how it ranges from 6-9+ hp right now when you get to the boss). But the strongest health up by pure racial and makes elf/mages remotely playable without life steal.

Human
Heroism: +1 starting/max hand at boss fights, a good buff against bosses

Orc
Violent: Rage 1 on a random creature in your hand lets you put out a lot of early game in a good hand

Fearless: On your last life? Going to get a nice boost which will prob be when your stuck on a boss.

Dwarf
Stone Body: 1 Armor, This is a pretty powerful mechanic if you only take one damage you take 0, so every time you take damage above 1 it's a theoretical extra health point

Friend of Jank Bot: No point as there is no point to build an 150 card deck, might as well change this out to a simple 60/100 buff.

Necrotic
Shard Attune: Mono shard = 1 hp, Dual shard = 2 hp, Tri Shard = 3 hp if you dont run any dual shards, Quad/Prismatic = 0 hp. In other words it's complete and utter crap. Honestly they should change this to make multi/prismatic shard more possible. Maybe give us one of every shard type we have in our deck but the first threshold for each color doesn't count? That would promote prismatic decks if you asked me.

Shin'hare
Cute and fuzzy: +3 Health or... further proof shard attune is garbage

Expendable lives: +2 lives for each dungeon run, so you have 5 tries.

Vennen
Devoted: Random action in your hand has -1 cost

Ruthlessly Efficent: if you Dont lose a fight you get 2 charges in dungeons

... Hey wait you didn't name two

Efficient/Intellectual Pursuits from necrotic/humans... are honestly the most boringly designed talents... hey get more experience then gold... but less then clergy's collection so... again they're clergy collections you only get at cap and give less gold. These three talents are just boring in my opinion the ones I love is the ones that actually change up how you fight, or your starting hand these ones are interesting... the out of combat ones are kinda meh to me IMO especially when you get 2 out of combat ones...

For purely racials... Necrotic get hit by the worst race talents... and with the current level cap being 9 the worst SHARD attunement. right now their level nine shards are

3/2/2/1 for Sapphire/Ruby/Diamond/Blood
1/1/1/1 for Wild
2/2/2/1 for Artifacts

Coyotle is 3/3/2/2 in their three main colours and 2/2/2/2 in artifacts.

Human is 3/2/3/2 in their three main colours and 3/2/2/2 in artifacts

Dwarf is 3/3/2/2 in their main colours, 2/2/2/2 in white, and 3/3/3/2 in artifacts

So what it seems is the dual shard's can even tri shard better then necrotic can... can anyone see the problem with that?

velk
01-30-2016, 02:51 AM
First, decreasing costs are much more profitable than increasing benefit. Think of it this way : currently, you can upgrade your battle skill up to 4 damages. With the addition of the orc trait, that's 5 damages, so a 25% gain in raw power. But we only have 1/3 of the tree yet. If further talents allow you to deal more damages, the impact of the orc racial is diminishing - if you can deal 2 more damages at level 30, up to 6 points per battle, orc racial only provide ~17% more efficiency.

They have already spoiled the full warrior tree, and pending changes since then, there are no further increases in battle damage.

Also, concussive strikes only works if you hit the champion with it, and that removes 90% of the benefit of vanilla battle. There aren't any other side effects. If shin'hare shared war dancer with the elven master race, then -1 battle cost would be amazing ! Unfortunately they don't.

rosefurcht
01-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Necrotic Mage.
It is utherly useless. Way to low life and even with tri color nothing compared to the Elf specific. The Necroskill is underpowered as well, i mean hey lets draw a card from the enemy in 90% of cases it doesnt help at all because a its a ressource or b you cant use card because you dont have the color for it. It is easy to fix that, just make it the same effect as relentless Corruption or somthing similar to make the drawn card an artefact.
Btw. Right now its impossible to reskill your skills on Necrotic Mage...

esaotuelr
01-30-2016, 08:39 AM
Coyotle Cleric

Had a very easy start with a prophecy deck, especially with the cards given after the tutorial area.
Hit a wall at the second last dungeon where it just felt lackluster, then I swapped into a diamond blood life gain deck. I thought there would be a problem with the single blood card restriction in deck construction but It wasn't the case at all as the important cards are all in diamond anyway.
I've found that most of the encounters become quite trivial with this new deck and was able to clear the rest of it (farming it now) with ease. So was quite surprised to see coyotle to have a lowish rating pairing with clerics.

Vorpal
01-30-2016, 11:28 AM
How many characters can you have? I want like..8 of them.

Ertzi
01-30-2016, 11:38 AM
How many characters can you have? I want like..8 of them.

There are 10 character slots at this moment. What I really want to know (and haven't tried yet) is can you delete characters?

Xenavire
01-30-2016, 11:52 AM
There are 10 character slots at this moment. What I really want to know (and haven't tried yet) is can you delete characters?

Yes you can delete characters.

Ertzi
01-30-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes you can delete characters.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. So we can make a character, get the lvl 2 race-specific cards, and then delete to make room for a real alt. This is not relevant yet for me, but I eventually want 4 copies of every PvE card. :)

Lafoote
01-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Necrotic Mage.
It is utherly useless. Way to low life and even with tri color nothing compared to the Elf specific. The Necroskill is underpowered as well, i mean hey lets draw a card from the enemy in 90% of cases it doesnt help at all because a its a ressource or b you cant use card because you dont have the color for it. It is easy to fix that, just make it the same effect as relentless Corruption or somthing similar to make the drawn card an artefact.
Btw. Right now its impossible to reskill your skills on Necrotic Mage...

Can we revisit the part about 90% of cases the card you draw won't help? I haven't played it yet but I made one. I think in garbage encounters you're going to win anyway you won't bother use it. Now imagine what happens when you're facing a strong opponent with a good deck. Imagine drawing Web of Death or an escalated Ragefire! It won't always be helpful, but I think it has potential to be MVP.

rosefurcht
01-31-2016, 01:36 AM
Can we revisit the part about 90% of cases the card you draw won't help? I haven't played it yet but I made one. I think in garbage encounters you're going to win anyway you won't bother use it. Now imagine what happens when you're facing a strong opponent with a good deck. Imagine drawing Web of Death or an escalated Ragefire! It won't always be helpful, but I think it has potential to be MVP.

You're right, potential to be good. Depending on luck. If you have a pool of 16 Baselife hoping for luck isnt quiet the best you can do. The Skill Telekinese got his potential to, but its still unbalanced as unicornpoop, If you see the warriors Bash, with 4-5 Damage on Face or Creature while he got for example orc Warrior 25! Baselife... Im lvl 7 and im stucked, i cant beat the wormoids and cant beat the fourth Dungeon because all the Burning damage, on the other side i cant even reskill my skills because necrotic mage is bugged... At this point im really mad, and dont say me to farm i have enough cards, like 5k cards... Also the 3-2-2-1 Restriction on lvl 9 is pretty bad compared to other class/race combinations, yes you can use all besides wild with 1-1-1-1 but the 2 Rare restriction is ballsy...

Sethanon
02-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Elf Mage

The class combo builds up on a W/R ramp deck, as elves have skewed restrictions towards legendaries, having large collection is going to be advantage from the start (2 Legendary artifacts) and more legendaries than rares further on the path. Starting health bonus is big advantage for a mage. I have not encountered any major bumps even with the strong encounters (went even 60 gnomes at once, killing the wormoids with 4/4 flying talent sprite and few low cost troops). The racial talent is definitely one of the best (permanent +3/+3), as you can play it as quick action and opponent doesn't respond to it in 90% and you can achieve it on turn 3.

Chinane
02-03-2016, 05:38 AM

I doubt that. Since he wrote he levelled some for the PvE uniques i tend to think he refers to the card you get after completing the second bridge.

My impressions on the races so far:

- Necrotic mage:

The racial spell is problematic. You can get a ressource, which is at least marginally useful, even if the unlock doesn't favor your color, but you can simply get a card you can not play - at least that gets you a card where rerolling with your standard spell doesn't have a cost component.

The grid access somewhat compensates for that, as B/D feels really strong even without buying from the AH, even more so with those cards you cannot find as drops.

- Coyotle cleric:

Monument after one level makes for an easy early game. Adding health blessings to one's deck seems a bit boring for a charge power, though.

Very strong grid access. I'm currently playing Diamond with splashes (mostly buffs) of Ruby and Sapphire, which feels really strong, after i bought some cheap swiftstrike generators from the AH.

- Shin'hare mage:

Good racial spell, which provides a sometimes critical removal option. Didn't need the dungeon lives yet, so i'm a bit undecided about that.

Grid access could be better, but Wild/Blood may simply not be my color. Pure shin'hare decks seem problematic without investing platinum, as some critical cards can't be had with gold - maybe that will work out in the future.

Only dabbled in the other races. Elves seem pretty strong with good racials and medium+ grid access , Vennen are really random with those eggs.

BenRGamer
02-03-2016, 11:54 AM
- Coyotle cleric:

Monument after one level makes for an easy early game. Adding health blessings to one's deck seems a bit boring for a charge power, though.

Very strong grid access. I'm currently playing Diamond with splashes (mostly buffs) of Ruby and Sapphire, which feels really strong, after i bought some cheap swiftstrike generators from the AH.

I found that the best thing to run with clerics, I'm running this on my own coyotle cleric, if you don't care about weaponizing the life gain is to use Archmage Wrenlocke to make blessings give an extra draw, augur to be able to play them off the top of the deck, and dreamsmoke to help find them, along with Good Karma . Unfortunately Wrenlocke and Augur are Legendary so you'll only be able to run one of each until Level 8, but I've found it really, really good in a W/S ramp deck--especially with Prospero to also combo off of Wrenlocke.

Edit: and, instead of Monument of Faith, I'm going Enhance Blessing: Empowerment for +1/+1 blessings, Good Karma to get more of them, and Divine Altar to double them--the copied blessings also activate Wrenlocke, which is awesome.

Quantius
02-03-2016, 12:33 PM
You're right, potential to be good. Depending on luck. If you have a pool of 16 Baselife hoping for luck isnt quiet the best you can do. The Skill Telekinese got his potential to, but its still unbalanced as unicornpoop, If you see the warriors Bash, with 4-5 Damage on Face or Creature while he got for example orc Warrior 25! Baselife... Im lvl 7 and im stucked, i cant beat the wormoids and cant beat the fourth Dungeon because all the Burning damage, on the other side i cant even reskill my skills because necrotic mage is bugged... At this point im really mad, and dont say me to farm i have enough cards, like 5k cards... Also the 3-2-2-1 Restriction on lvl 9 is pretty bad compared to other class/race combinations, yes you can use all besides wild with 1-1-1-1 but the 2 Rare restriction is ballsy...

I agree the Necrotic Mage Spell is kinda rubbish, but as far as shard restrictions, with just a couple modifications you could put together the deck I used to take on Devonshire: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=47510

There's only 4 cards that are x3 just about everything else is a 1-of with a couple x2. Take out the x3 cards and replace with x2 Dream Eagles w/equip, x1 Hellshot Catapult, and +1 Kill.

Sethanon
02-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks to everyone for awesome feedback so far, please continue while you get more experience with other characters, I will write few more as well. I have drawn the winners from responses so far:

#65 Ertzi
#35 Mejis

Please send me your ingame name to get the AoM booster packs as I have promised! :)

Edit: Notified both through PM

Sethanon
02-09-2016, 03:47 AM
- Dwarf warrior:

The racial spell is great as it could be expected and it can break your opponent in critical moments especially with enough charge generation (2 turns of resource blackout from in turn 4 and 5). I went for card discard talent as soon as possible, since I'm rarely using the spell as removal. Armor is brilliant and can save you on many occasions, however the class lacks decent warriors or early artifacts for transformation (as cleric has) if you are building robot/dwarf deck.

The grid access is quite bad, you are limited to R/S with low amount of rares and legendaries (and also uncommons early on). I can recommend, however commons make the deck playable.

- Orc cleric:

Racial is useful however not critical, I have had very low amount of blessings in short games. The biggest advantage of the blessings is playing arena Arena regular with equipment and having it deal damage. Monument and lifedrain come as useful additions while breaking your opponent down early.

I felt the grid access limiting during deck construction as good clerics are often rare.

- Orc warrior:

I thought the racial will be better especially now when comparing to the dwarf warrior. However the talents have great synergies as there is many orc warriors that synergy with the class and racial.

I felt that grid access is quite good with early access to a lot of commons and uncommons. The rush tactics didn't need that many rares and I got to two quite early as well.

Theik
02-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Elf Cleric:
Lord of the Ramps, I love playing this one. It's really easy to ramp into legendary cards when you can put 3 of each in your deck and your racial/class combo gives you even more ramp ontop of healing and card draw. This is definitely the game's version of easy mode if you have good legendary cards.

Still haven't managed to beat Devonshire with it though, that place punishes ramp so badly with how many burns and rush they're playing, you'll never get your mana elves to stick around for longer than 1 turn.

Human warrior:
Playing a white/blue/red warrior only deck, with only a caller added for draw and it works great. Bonus points for using a Deathless Guardian with the equip, which means -you- as the player are also immune to all non-combat damage. It greatly helps with a whole lot of encounters when they can't suddenly wipe your entire field with 1 card, although I have yet to beat the final boss of Devonshire despite this.

Vennen Mage:
This is the game mode for people who hate themselves with a passion and love nothing more than to whip themselves all day for perceived faults. Playing vennen mage is -terrible-. You start with so little HP that somebody sneezing will likely mean a game over, and the "flexibility" hardly makes up for it. It does very well in a few specific encounters such as the Killipede (being able to give a killipede -1/0 means it no longer deals damage, and as such can't toxify you.), but for almost every other encounter, you're better off with something else.

I still haven't managed to beat the burning goliath with this guy, it may very well be impossible unless you cheese it with cards like hunger of the mountain with lifedrain. Even if you get him to turn in 3 turns, he'll simply wipe your entire board when he changes and then finish you off with the two elementals he spawns. Your low, low, loooow starting HP is definitely a crippling factor against him.

Fateanomaly
02-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Coyotle mage racial spell seems good on paper but practically it is useless. The 0-3 dmg range allows it to do absolutely nothing for 7 spellpoints.

whiteyzz
02-17-2016, 01:21 PM
Coyotle mage racial spell seems good on paper but practically it is useless. The 0-3 dmg range allows it to do absolutely nothing for 7 spellpoints. it feels like 0 75% of the time. I think the spell system needs a little rework, maybe design 3 types of spells. Because with the current spell point system til we see Adventure zone 2 we don't know if getting SP will become easier til we see the full planned out mage talent.

Cantrips -> cheap spells with minor effects, but never increase in SP. So Draw then discard will always be 4 SP

Focus Spell -> Spells that increase in SP, and effect for additional casts but they stop at a certain point. So the tornado spell becomes

1st cast -> Deal 1 damage to all creatures for 6 SP
2nd cast -> Deal 2 damage to all creatures for 7 SP
3rd cast -> Deal 3 damage to all creatures for 8 SP

or Telekensis is

1st cast -> target creature goes to the hand as normal 6SP
2nd cast -> if target creature is an enemy +1 to the cost 7SP
3rd cast -> The before applies, and if it's an ally it costs -1 to play 8SP

Channeled Spell -> Spell doesn't increase in cost but requires more SP to get better

Vennen's -1 attack becomes

Spend 6+X, for each additional 1 SP added to this spell increase the effect by 1, with a limit of how many SP you can spend

Human's polymorph becomes

Spend 5+X, for every additional 1 SP lower/raise the cost of the beast it becomes. For allies it starts at level 2 and ends at 4 and enemies it becomes 4 and ends at 2

Scaerow
03-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Yay, nothing about Vennen Warriors...

Gues i now know, why i can't beat Killipede, Spitfire Elemental (just managed to do so once, but then...), Wiktor...

Planeshaper
03-11-2016, 02:52 AM
I have a number of character feedback notes I'd like to add -- is this an appropriate thread for Hardcory feedback, or is this primarily for more constructed playthroughs?

Elwinz
03-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Yay, nothing about Vennen Warriors...

Gues i now know, why i can't beat Killipede, Spitfire Elemental (just managed to do so once, but then...), Wiktor...

MAte Wiktor is hard for everyone. IN 80% of cases you have to build specific deck for devonshire jsut because of Wiktor. Its not Vennen Warrior being bad. Most of this reviews are overall sights which doenst inlcide that fight ir kilipede
Vennen warrior is verey aggresive can play like 16-20 eggs by tunr 3 which is huge and can kil very fastand its great.
However all agresive decks gets destroyed in devonshire. Like my Huntres human wariror stomps enitre cmapaign but heave to completly switch deck from ruby to diamond just do deal witth kilipede and Wiktor beciase they destroy my deck
. You have to build around him. Lifedrain is the most common way. Phenteos git and nazkh lookout x3 is phantastic. Blood aura is very chepa common whih is almost must have in devonshire, corrupt harvester which u have in your free 200 cards also,
And even with all that he can stil roll you 0-5 if he gets god draws ^^