PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Card resolution and battle damage sound effects

Krakanous
01-29-2016, 03:04 AM
After some time playing PVE now and coming back especially to play it, I have started to notice something that I really think, could be done better. Card battle sound effects, and sound effects when doing damage to your opponent or opponents cards.

At the moment, it is a series of "whooshes" which is really basic and un-inspiring. However what confuses me is that effort has been put into card "play" sounds, when I play a card, a suitable sound effect goes with it, be it a spell, creature, building or constant, however when they fight, battle, take or do damage, it's just that boring sort of fizzle whoosh sound effect.

This is something MTG: Duels of The Planeswalkers digital TCG games did really well, having impact sounds, player damage sounds and combat sounds for a variety of cards, and also, what Hearthstone does really well as well with light, medium and powerful damage impact sounds, also spell sounds too. However of course neither of those games single player or pve content interest me enough, where as so far, Hex PVE is fantastic fun. Great atmosphere.

So my suggestion for the future is, please consider adding battle sound effects to cards and damage dealt to players/opponents and cards sound effects to the different cards, it would really give the sense of having an army of elementals, men at arms, or shroomkins and machines sound a lot more fearsome, impacting, and immersive, having good sound effects for damage inflicted, rather than just the odd electric fizzle "whoosh" sound we have currently.

This is the only real complaint about this game I still have, I hope future updates can give the audio some more love, to go along with the superb PVE sound track and background noises :)

Elysion
01-29-2016, 06:30 AM
Hey Krakanous, thanks for playing the game and giving us feedback. Regretfully the battle sound effects were cut for this release because of time constrains. It's definitely a high priority for us and on our to do list. We want to make an audio system that recognizes the type of card that deals damage and play a sound effect that matches. For example: Weapon damage, Spell damage, natural attack damage (think claws, bites etc) Artifact damage (think robots) and more. It's a complex system that needs to read and recognize each individual card and play the correct sound in the right circumstance. Having a dynamic impact sound based upon the amount of damage done is also something we would want to add to this system. The same goes for champion/charge power effects.
I hope this answers you feedback a little bit and thanks for enjoying the audio.

Krakanous
01-29-2016, 06:58 AM
That really does! I did not know about the cut but it's good to know at least you are taking your time to recognise how important that is and the impact it will have on the audio experience, as already, with the wonderful music and atmosphere it's off to a superb start. So in the future, it's great to know this system is coming in the future with future updates :). It's not common place that we get info from the people who actually WORKED on these systems replying in forums and for that may I say thank you very much for the communication! I've worked on sound design for many years for personal projects and hobbies, from engine audio to explosions and other battle effects (so hey, i may send some samples to you guys one day :P). However, creating the system behind playing these sounds, the types, the severity, impact and even visual effects such as screen shaking perhaps, cracks, marks, burns, tears and scar marks are all part of the overall aesthetic which I am sure in the future, the art team would also be working on, to complete that sensation of a 3D, living, physical effect alongside the audio (again, something Hearthstone and MTG: Duels does reasonably well).

It does and good luck, I appreciate all the guys work on all the current systems thus far :).

Elysion
01-29-2016, 08:41 AM
Thanks Krakanous, we are very grateful for the community and always try to communicate as much as possible. We are trying to make a game that everyone loves to play. It's exactly what you wrote, we want to deliver the total experience and that takes a little bit more work then just replacing some sounds. But we want it and the community wants it. So it's just a matter of time until it gets implemented ;)

Zen
01-29-2016, 10:14 AM
Hey Elysion, great job on music and ambient sounds, really enjoying all the atmosphere.

One question: why was "game phase switch" sound changed? It was perfect, new one sounds kind of off.

Yoss
01-29-2016, 06:58 PM
This thread is a gem. Great feedback from player and dev alike. Keep up the good work, HXE!

Krakanous
01-30-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks Krakanous, we are very grateful for the community and always try to communicate as much as possible. We are trying to make a game that everyone loves to play. It's exactly what you wrote, we want to deliver the total experience and that takes a little bit more work then just replacing some sounds. But we want it and the community wants it. So it's just a matter of time until it gets implemented ;)

Appreciation is all ours :). Pacing my self very slowly atm through it so I can enjoy as much of the atmosphere as possible. The want is big and your ears are open so that's something to be highly respected :). Thanks again and keep us updated in the future.

Btw, as a side note, I think it is worth mentioning two audio related bugs/issues I have found.

When the current combat resolutions end, it cuts into and mutes the background music before the music resumes which at first i thought was lag but isn't, when the combat sounds play it cuts the music out before it resumes, slightly annoying. Related, going from map to battle the current music just ends, stops and the battle track starts up (during coin flip animation) which also seems a bit immersion breaking. Making the tracks and sounds fade in and out from one another would be much smoother and better :).

Secondly, when you deal enough damage to win the combat sounds dont bother resolving, the game just ends so you get this eerie silence before it cuts to the "you win" screen, might it be better to let these sounds resolve and pause before showing victory screen, especially in the future where the sounds will be more "Impactful", you want to hear the pain you just inflicted!!

Ertzi
01-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Great job with the sounds and music of HEX! I really feel quite immersed as I play. ^_^

Let me be first to suggest that someone in charge of the forum give Elysion an honorary title, an avatar, a cool different color or something. I really feel strongly that the people who actually work on HEX should stand out from the crowd. They deserve it.

Thanks again for the awesome contribution. Looking forward to hearing more in the future!