PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Unflexible and limited character naming allowed in the campaign

Zasso
01-30-2016, 08:10 AM
I just had a flashback to nightmares of wow, spending so much time trying to find unused names or variations that just slightly work, but are always a reminder of that annoying experience every time I see the character name.

We have 10 character slots for the campaign, yet we can only use each name once.
We can not use special characters like a space " ", or a dot "." to even separate words
Battle.net/blizzard/Diablo 3/Guild wars 2 and many other games nowadays use an internal additional added number, or other ways to allow duplicate names and spaces/dots/numbers to help players at least somewhat in this

I understand this might be a small thing to most people, but to me this is a game breaker as I already noticed with my second character called "ZassoDwarf", that as soon as that name popped on screen multiple times in the text during the tutorial I quit the campaign, deleted the character and have been stuck on character selection screen since(OCD/Anxiety disorder).

I would just like to name all my heroes "Zasso", not think about it and play the game to get my mind off of things, not on things
Any help in this would be appreciated.

Salverus
01-30-2016, 08:37 AM
my characters can have the same name as yours. only your main account name has to be unique. So in that regards there are no problems with names already taken.

but I agree with you, I rather have all my campaign heroes given the same name. For the third one I already ran out of creativity.

Zasso
01-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Aye, my first hero is named aptly,
but as I really like this game, and have played it for a long time(missed kickstarter :( ) I have a card collection, multiple different angles, decks, strategies, some decent equipment and I like diversity in my gameplay
so after I finished the first tutorial as a Shin'Hare, I wanted to make a Dwarf, and a Vennen...and Orc...and so on and switch between them when I feel like playing whichever
but mission failed, really hoped I had something to keep my mind off of things this weekend

Svenn
01-30-2016, 09:35 AM
I really hope they fix it to at least allow spaces. No reason to not allow stuff like that when these names are really only used for ourselves and no one seems them (maybe they will with Raids, but even then it's just a name on the screen, and isn't something you interact with).

As for naming... maybe do last names without a space ZassoLastname ZassoOtherlastname, etc? So far I have two characters... Svenn the Elf Mage and Svennevs the Necrotic Mage (since Necrotic names are always Palindromes). So, maybe use a variation on Zasso with an appropriately themed twist for each race?

Stormlight
01-30-2016, 09:41 AM
I'll echo the desire to be able to use spaces... I was shocked when I tried to create a coyotle and couldn't use a coyotle-sounding name.

Though if they start allowing it, I also hope they allow renaming characters, or I will start over again from Level 1.

Zasso
01-30-2016, 01:35 PM
I'll echo the desire to be able to use spaces... I was shocked when I tried to create a coyotle and couldn't use a coyotle-sounding name.

Though if they start allowing it, I also hope they allow renaming characters, or I will start over again from Level 1.

The renaming idea is spot on

I'm currently anxious and worried that if I make a character like "ZassotheDwarf" I'll have to remake and go through the tutorial and everything again once they do fix it

Zasso
01-31-2016, 06:37 AM
any news on this?

ossuary
02-10-2016, 08:23 AM
I'd like to see us able to add spaces and other characters to our hero names. Especially for Coyotle, having to have single word names is very annoying. Is there any real reason that this is restricted? All the client is doing is printing the character name from the database - why are special characters disabled?