PDA

View Full Version : A non-KS backer point of view (and a concern)

Juneauz
01-30-2016, 09:48 AM
I'm a "returning" player, who hasn't played for more than a year, and let me start off by saying that I love this game!

I came across Hex by coincidence, more than a year ago. Set 1 was around at the time, the UI was scarce and only a few game modes were available, but I immediately felt drawn to it. I played frequently for a few months, bought myself a VIP subscription and even managed to win a VIP tournament that gave me 4 wonderful AA (the highlight of my Hex career:)). All the while, the anguish of having missed out on the KS campaign was bothering me in the back of my head.

Unfortunately, drafts and tournaments were the only available options, and with time I stopped coming back because of scheduling problems. There was no format that would allow me to play "in-between" tasks. Basically, in those days you needed to have at least 2-3 free hours to spend on it if you even wanted to login. That was too difficult for me to organize and I ended up giving up on the game.

Flash forward to a week ago, when I found out pve was being released and the beta tag dropped. So far, I think this game has become an amazing work of art, with potential to grow even further. As a long time rpg and tcg player (basically the only two game-genres I enjoy), I couldn't be more pleased with the campaign. The UI is also looking slick, arena is a nice change of pace, and overall everything has improved a ton. Kudos to all the Hex team and thanks for creating such a wonderful game experience.

That being said, I have only one major concern:
I've been a clinical completionist all of my life, borderlining on OCD. Missing out on the KS is bothering me a lot, and I find myself constantly thinking about it while I play. Could someone kindly list the privileges that I've lost, and more importantly, reassure me that all of the cards/items will somewhat be obtainable via AH? I don't know if I feel like committing to a game where I will never be able to reach the goal of having a full collection. That is always my main focus, whenever I embrace a new game.

Thanks a lot!

Aradon
01-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Hi! Glad you are enjoying the game!
First off, here's a list of the cards and equipment from PvE: http://www.hextcg.com/rewards/
They are all tradeable, with the exception of a few account 'perks' that are not cards as much as bonuses. Those are:
- Raid Leader KS gets a buff in raids (not yet implemented) that give them an extra card at start, and a free 'prevent damage' buff.
- Guildmasters get bonus experience for their guildmates
- Dungeon Crawlers get double loot from dungeons
- Collectors receive special alternate-art cards periodically, but these are tradeable as well.
* There are sleeves that not everyone can get, from the kickstarter. Sleeves are account bound, and therefore there's no way you'll be able to collect these, sorry :(

Since they're tradeable, you can theoretically find everything on the AH, though some things will be very expensive.

However, Cory's cautioned against the completionist mindset, saying that many things will be very, very rare, and getting complete collections will be very difficult. I hope you can enjoy the game despite this. Just realize it's a very daunting goal for Hex, by design.

Yoss
01-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Hi Juneauz! It's great to have you back. You can see a full list of the KS rewards here (link) (https://www.hextcg.com/hex-backer-rewards/). The vast majority of it can be had through the Auction House, as Aradon pointed out above.

Brewdinar
01-30-2016, 10:35 AM
A quick note for people like yourself Juneauz, since it seems you may have missed it. Around the launch of Set 3, the developers also added a new tournament mode: Gauntlet. Despite the imposing name, it's very similar to the way Arena works in Hearthstone, in that you build a deck and can then play a game at a time on your schedule until you've won or lost enough games.

Juneauz
01-30-2016, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys, this is definitely a great community.

Ok, I can deal with missing out on a couple of sleeves^^. Bonuses aren't a big problem, you can "grind" your way around those, I was more concerned with cards, equipments, mercenaries and such.

@Brewdinar thanks, I haven't tried the Gauntlet yet, but I'll make sure I will (as soon as I finished at least a couple of pve runs!)

Xenavire
01-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Sleeves and account perks are the only bound items, so everything else should be available in some form.

KingGabriel
01-30-2016, 04:32 PM
It's worth noting that anyone grouped with the RL (e.g. me) would get the buff as well for the raid.

Xexist
01-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Let us not forget sleeves. Might as well get rid of the idea of completionist because as a grand king backer even I expect not to be able to get everything, especially some really really chasey sleeves (poster, variant etc)

funktion
01-30-2016, 07:04 PM
So sounds like you dropped Hex at one point because of time constraints. I would highly recommend that you check out "gauntlet" tournaments now in place of what you had tried before. They are much easier to sqeeze into your schedule (though the EV might not be as good).

On the note of feeling like you were going to miss out on collection stuff. I understand that you have that urge but I am curious to know more about folks that feel like that.
-Do you actually have the intent to collect everything if you could? (the idea that you might not be able to is holding you back)
-Is it just that you might not be able to? (but that you don't have the intent)

Because if it is any solace, if you don't have the intent to (which includes spending a ridiculous amount of $$$) then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even folks that kickstarted at some of the heavier tiers will still have a hard time getting everything.

One example are the IQ sleeves, only 12 people in the world will be getting the sleeves for going to the IQ and only one of those 12 will get the sleeves for winning. Plenty of other examples like that, I'm just more interested in what is holding you back personally. I had that sentiment for a brief time early on that I would pursue playsets etc, but have since accepted that it might not happen all the time and have been able to enjoy the game more for it.

Xexist
01-30-2016, 10:40 PM

I like to look at it this way. I can get any sleeve or anything I want all I have to do is become a million (billion?) aire and buy HEX ent, and then I can print cards and sleeves for myself as I see fit.

Then I can sleep well at night.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4335363/image.0.png

Xenavire
01-30-2016, 10:55 PM
I like to like at it this way. I can get any sleeve or anything I want all I have to do is become a million (billion? aire and buy HEX ent, and then I can print cards and sleeves for myself as I see fit.

Then I can sleep well at night.

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4335363/image.0.png

I'm sure Cory would find a way to hold onto creative control even if you did buy them out... I have no idea if he would try to stop just one person getting sleeves though - he would probably draw the line at the earned invitational sleeves, since those are important.

Xexist
01-31-2016, 03:08 AM
I'm sure Cory would find a way to hold onto creative control even if you did buy them out... I have no idea if he would try to stop just one person getting sleeves though - he would probably draw the line at the earned invitational sleeves, since those are important.

I would be the new Cory

Juneauz
01-31-2016, 07:00 AM
As I said, I can deal with missing out on a few sleeves! But I'm glad to know that basically everything else will be available through AH.

@funktion It ain't easy to describe what goes through a completionist's mind^^ What I can say is that I enjoy the journey, not necessarily the final goal. Knowing that there's a collection to complete makes me strive for something, keeps me engaged in the game, even if I'll never end up actually reaching that goal. But I will try as best as I can, I ensure you!

Xexist
01-31-2016, 08:55 AM
As I said, I can deal with missing out on a few sleeves! But I'm glad to know that basically everything else will be available through AH.

@funktion It ain't easy to describe what goes through a completionist's mind^^ What I can say is that I enjoy the journey, not necessarily the final goal. Knowing that there's a collection to complete makes me strive for something, keeps me engaged in the game, even if I'll never end up actually reaching that goal. But I will try as best as I can, I ensure you!

You wont ever have *everything* but with enough time (or money) you can get pretty close.

fido_one
01-31-2016, 06:09 PM
A quick note for people like yourself Juneauz, since it seems you may have missed it. Around the launch of Set 3, the developers also added a new tournament mode: Gauntlet. Despite the imposing name, it's very similar to the way Arena works in Hearthstone, in that you build a deck and can then play a game at a time on your schedule until you've won or lost enough games.

Huh, what a very good point about 'guantlet' being a title that could scare away new PvP players.

Ertzi
02-01-2016, 04:42 AM
Huh, what a very good point about 'guantlet' being a title that could scare away new PvP players.

Guantlet is a title that would scare even me away. (sorry, I couldn't resist :) )