PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Most Hated Encounter in the Campaign and Why? (SPOILERS, DUH)

Ertzi
01-31-2016, 11:58 AM
I just mentioned this in another thread, but then I thought the subject could also be a fun thread on its own.

What is the encounter in the campaign you are most annoyed to face? What node makes you cringe before you even step on it?

I will begin. My most hated encounter is the one where I am constantly forced to choose if I want to give the opponent two cards or lose 1/1 permanent resources. I don't know why, but that fight always feels horrible to play. I just effing hate having to make that decision every single turn. Giving cards to the opponent goes against my every instinct and feels miserable. That fight feels several times longer than any other, because it's pure agony for me.

I have a lot more losses against piranhas and wurmoids for example, but for some reason this encounter instantly jumps on my mind when I think about irritating opponents.

So, what is your nemesis node?

Xexist
01-31-2016, 12:03 PM
Worm queen. I decided I WAS going to beat her with all 60 gnomes in my deck.
ie 50 attempts later I decided, ok I will do it in 2 runs, 30 per run.

That took another 50 attempts,

THEN

Forgot to turn in the quest straight away and went back to the gnome camp and... the counter reset and I hd to fight that bitch a third time >.<

STUPID WORM

Killipede #2 gave me headache until I build my deck around it. Piranhas were scary until I build a deck for it then realize holy carp that was easy! :p

Alamand
01-31-2016, 12:04 PM
On the bright side, you can skip thorn knight and nothing bad seems to happen in the later dungeon fights.

On topic, easily level 6 Army of myth, it's not even a fight, it's just an exercise in rng. You have to go first, you have to get a god draw, and then you have to dodge the ~20% chance the AI has to put out a card that instantly wins for the first 3-4 turns. i'm probably going to run through campaign with 4 elf warriors just to get my playset as painlessly as possible and never touch the encounter again.

Resand
01-31-2016, 12:19 PM
What do you get for lv 6 Army of myth win?

Alamand
01-31-2016, 12:22 PM
that diamond 5 cost 3/3 (flyer?) with a socket that creates 2 spirits with its socketed power, pretty much a required card if you want to do a spirit deck but only moderately useful outside of that.

Xenavire
01-31-2016, 12:24 PM
You get some spectral card, its a decent card but for a fair few people it won't be worth the effort (and they will likely buy it from smart farmers.)

Army of Myth 6 is by far the most frustrating (certain t1 cards it creates simply make you concede - Lady Devonshire? You're boned. Zakkir? Probably boned. King Gabe? Likely boned. Kraken? Almost certainly boned if you don't have heat wave. Etc etc.)

On the other hand, 6 is the only really frustrating one, the others are far easier as you get more time to react (even 5 is a good deal easier.)

Planeshaper
01-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Killipede #2 feels like I'm playing pauper against competitive constructed.

When you lose a PvE match, you should get to choose if you're going to play first or draw first, rather than have the coin flip. TBH, the coin flip just shouldn't even exist in PvE. When you lose, you choose the next game; when you win, the AI chooses the next game.

Ertzi
01-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Forgot to turn in the quest straight away and went back to the gnome camp and... the counter reset and I hd to fight that bitch a third time >.<

Holy sh... Table flippin' time! :D That would ruin my day.

Ertzi
01-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Also, I just realized I haven't fought Army of Myth lvl 6 yet :O

Yay, more content! I forgot to go back. I take it you just return to the same place and it goes up a level?

wolzarg
01-31-2016, 12:41 PM
Knight of thorns is probably the hardest fight in the game that isn't straight up unfair like armies 6.

YourOpponent
01-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Of the ones I have done (All except the Usurper Dungeon and Level 5/6 Myth) I would have to say that the fight that gave me the most trouble was the Boss fight of Smoldering Dead. People were telling me that Devonshire is much harder, but honestly I cleared that after failing two dungeons and have a deck saved that works well enough that I can farm it :) I was actually able even to mill the boss of Devonshire :)

But I'm sure that Level 6 Myth will be my most despised once I get around to those two.

Fyren
01-31-2016, 01:12 PM
What's "Level 6" Myth? The Armies of Myth were a monstrously anticlimactic fight; I think they got screwed somehow.

Anyway, for me the whole gnome/wormoid scenario is just not fun full stop. Whichever route you take is a frustrating slog you have to do multiple times if you don't turn your deck into 60% gnomes and the EXP per-fight is deliberately substandard for some reason.

LNQ
01-31-2016, 01:13 PM
What's "Level 6" Myth? The Armies of Myth were a monstrously anticlimactic fight; I think they got screwed somehow.

You can fight the army multiple times, it gets progressively more difficult.

Xexist
01-31-2016, 01:51 PM

Anyway, for me the whole gnome/wormoid scenario is just not fun full stop. Whichever route you take is a frustrating slog you have to do multiple times if you don't turn your deck into 60% gnomes and the EXP per-fight is deliberately substandard for some reason.

Try level 6 and get back to us. You wont be complaining its too easy haha :D

Xenavire
01-31-2016, 03:03 PM
Knight of thorns is probably the hardest fight in the game that isn't straight up unfair like armies 6.

Pssst... Drowned Shrine. It also technically wrecks the Goliath. Just take something to discard/transform the shrine for other fights and you have yourself a golden ticket to much easier fights (if you draw into it at the right times.)

Ertzi
01-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Pssst... Drowned Shrine. It also technically wrecks the Goliath. Just take something to discard/transform the shrine for other fights and you have yourself a golden ticket to much easier fights (if you draw into it at the right times.)

I just thought of this card earlier today. Glad to know it works as I hoped. My second artifact-based dwarf character is going to have a field day with these fools. :) I love these tactical realizations!

Also, so that's why Shrine spiked up in value...

hammer
01-31-2016, 04:25 PM
kind of related - anyone found ghost sentinel or Wool'vir Bass'serker yet ;)

Venris
01-31-2016, 06:25 PM
Gnomes. Anything to do with those gnomes. Moving the whole 60, whether at once or in multiple trips, just seem like a chore, not to mention the way it forces us to play with bad cards if we want to finish the quest.

fido_one
01-31-2016, 06:39 PM
I had a wonderful love/hate relationship with middle road, full gnomes. The way my mind works is along the lines of 'take the most painful / difficult route with all 60 in case there is a special prize for being an idiot'.

Took me tons of attempts, but I just multi-sharded my deck (at whatever spectrum level my coyotle cleric was on), removed all my shards and top-heavied my deck with legendaries and rares.

Hated that my OCD made me try it so many times with an intentionally half-hazard deck build, but I got to play a bunch of cards I normally wouldn't touch. I'm guessing it's a very low priority to code the exception, but I really wanted a jank bot in that encounter as it was a jank run, but you can't save a jank bot deck as it's below the 150 count until the moment the battle begins.

Quantius
01-31-2016, 07:12 PM
Gnomes. Anything to do with those gnomes. Moving the whole 60, whether at once or in multiple trips, just seem like a chore, not to mention the way it forces us to play with bad cards if we want to finish the quest.

Agree, this is the worst. Though I generally dislike any "puzzle" type encounters which are less about playing a "real" deck and simply slapping together a gimmicky deck suited to that particular encounter. Pirahnas, Worms, Killipede, AoM. Just doesn't feel fun to me, it just ends up being "oh okay, I need xyz".

Fyren
01-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Agree, this is the worst. Though I generally dislike any "puzzle" type encounters which are less about playing a "real" deck and simply slapping together a gimmicky deck suited to that particular encounter. Pirahnas, Worms, Killipede, AoM. Just doesn't feel fun to me, it just ends up being "oh okay, I need xyz".

The gnomes are worse, though, because you have to do it repeatedly. I don't mind puzzle encounters and I'll mind them less when we can save decks, but the gnomes are a repetitive, dull slog.

Lafoote
01-31-2016, 07:37 PM
Worms/Gnomes. My deck didn't match up well in some encounters, and I got reamed at Devonshire, but all that still seamed fun. I still Attribute it to the Coyotle Cleric just matching up really poorly with the worms more than I think the worms are broken. Maybe others disagree.

Fateanomaly
01-31-2016, 09:20 PM
The worms/piranha/lv6 myth/killipede are tough fights but at least they are in the field so its not so bad. Otherwise it will probably be frustrating. The part i hate the most is having to move the 60 gnomes.

Lisa89
02-01-2016, 01:34 AM
Well, since Worm Queen & Piranha are optional bosses I just skipped them, so the most hated was Wiktor, over 20 attempts (not counting the times I haven't even reached him) is kinda frustrating for a non-optional boss :mad:

Valnir
02-01-2016, 02:49 AM
Killipede - first encounter since I run Human mage with pyros.. :D

Ertzi
02-01-2016, 04:01 AM

I kinda agree with this. I love playing a thematic deck and roleplaying with the campaign, but then there are these walls that force you to start 'meta gaming', which destroys the immersion. On my next playthrough, I will just enjoy the ride throughout the campaign and all the dungeons and completely ignore these one-off challenges. I will only do them when there is nothing else to do for a character.

And let me just say that Wormoids are indeed my close second for the most annoying fight. The only reason for them not being number one is that they are not mandatory and at some point I can just ignore them forever, whereas every time I'm in a dungeon I feel like I need to clear every node. Just who I am. :)

zz_tophat
02-01-2016, 04:56 AM
I haven't bothered to finish gnomes on any of my characters, can't be bothered to make a new deck just to cheese the encounter, at least not until we can save more than one deck.

Is it worth all the effort?

incitfulmonk21
02-01-2016, 05:28 AM
You would get a card from the worm queen but its broken right now. It really is an un-fun encounter I am a little surprised it exists. I absolutely love the other encounters even the difficult ones but the worms are either super grindy or you have go restart till you have an amazing hand. Hxe is usually great at making fun stuff I guess this encounter snuck through because both options are incredibly repetative and boring.

Ertzi
02-01-2016, 10:50 AM
You would get a card from the worm queen but its broken right now. It really is an un-fun encounter I am a little surprised it exists. I absolutely love the other encounters even the difficult ones but the worms are either super grindy or you have go restart till you have an amazing hand. Hxe is usually great at making fun stuff I guess this encounter snuck through because both options are incredibly repetative and boring.

Some people love it though, which I don't understand at all, but I have to accept that the encounter has its fans and I am happy it exists for those players. Funny how divided the player base is on the subject though.

nicosharp
02-01-2016, 11:53 AM
For all-round RNG - Probably Myth x6...
But Wiktor for actual progression takes the #1 slot. (basically forces deck to tune with it turn 2 removal for a 2attack 3 hp troop, and still need luck after that)

Most annoying and most often avoided is: U.G.L.Y. quest - Unforgiving Gnomes Lost Yolo

Seluhir
02-01-2016, 12:56 PM
Anything mill, but that should be obvious knowing me ;)

AdamAoE2
02-01-2016, 11:30 PM
I really don't like the Wiktor fight as a mage. The amount of times he can doom you on turn 2 is just blatantly unfair and unfun.

It generally goes something like this:
Wiktor wins coin flip.
Turn 1 - Wiktor plays blood shard and Rot-Mind Zombie. Wiktor Pings and Attacks with free Spitfire Elemental. (Unaffected by Troop Trauma?) Down to 13.

Mage plays a shard. Passes turn.

Turn 2 - Wiktor plays ruby shard and 1/2 Crush Zombie that gets bigger every time the player takes any damage. Wiktor attacks with Rot-Mind Zombie and Attacks/Pings with Spitfire Elemental. Down to 9, and all spells in hand are cost +1, delaying any 2-drops you have by an extra turn.

Mage sits there because everything in his hand is now 3+

Turn 3 - Wiktor has a Spitfire Elemental, a Rot-Mind Zombie, and at least a 4/2 to 5/2 crush elemental. Wiktor lethals you without you being able to play a single card.

This encounter needs to be tuned down, either by Rot-Mind Zombie being nerfed to 2 resources or the Spitfire Elemental being affected by Troop Trauma if Wiktor goes first.

Ebynfel
02-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Honestly, I've been loving everything about PVE, even the challenge content I may not have completed yet. However, Wormoids. Honestly, if Wormoids was required, I probably wouldn't have progressed past that point and given up on the game, it is that badly designed to me. I hate wormoids to a level that cannot be expressed, and it hurts to say that. It really does, because I wanted to love everything about this game. But a situation where, no matter which way you attempt to accomplish a goal, you are slogging through a seemingly endless string of losses due to complete RNG or having to repeat an action 15+ times to mitigate that... it just hurts. I like puzzles, and having to tune decks to world encounters. I like that. But Wormoids devoids all of that and says "play your deck and repeat this ad nauseum or play our deck and bash face into wall ad nauseum." There is no point where I thought that Wormoids was a challenge. Because it's not, it's a choice. Use RNG or repeat, and repeat again, and again. Though what I wouldnt give for a Primal Shard from those fights or two to always be in my deck.

On the flip side, I absolutely love the Squashing Pumpkins fight in thebeginning of the Feralroot. And the dungeons I have done have been incredibly fun and what I expected of this early PVE. Really enjoying it overall.

zz_tophat
02-02-2016, 05:56 AM
Wormoids make me wonder if perhaps "challenging" content in this game would be extremely hard to implement.

You either make things difficult to the point that you have to try them over and over and hope you luck in to the optimal counter or make a deck specifically to counter the encounter or, like in the case of one of the methods of doing wormoids; do it slowly and tediously.

None of these options are fun and the only skill element perhaps comes in the form of making a deck to deal with the situation.

Much the same comes from dealing with piranhas or killipede but those are not as bad because you don't have to handicap yourself to get them done in a reasonable time frame, you just have to make a deck specifically to deal with them, which is bad, yes but not "make a deck and then play it several times" bad.

And that is assuming you have the cards to build something that can counter those decks, if you don't, then they go from being "optional" to being "this fight is not for you", which of course will upset players (for a subset of people, nothing is "optional").

On one of my characters I decided to use only commons and PvE cards, the idea was to emulate what a newer player would experience (so I could give a better opinion on the subject, it's one thing to say you love a game when you have a pool of thousands of cards, it's another to recommend a game like this when you don't). What I learned was... it seemed perfectly viable, barring a number of useful uncommons I couldn't use, I had a pretty solid deck... except when it came to those special encounters. In the case of wormoids, I just could not see doing it with my pool of cards.

...I was going to expand on this but I got distracted and lost my train of thought, also I realize I am now hungry too.

...I need to go to the store, bleh. I will edit in some more later, or not, whatever.

MaximumSquid
02-02-2016, 06:00 AM
What is Armies 6?

Can you repeat the armies of myth fight over and over again?

Alamand
02-02-2016, 06:18 AM
when you go back to the army of myth fight you can select a harder difficulty, with 6 being the highest and the one that awards a special card card.

ziggarius
02-02-2016, 07:29 AM

This is why i love being a mage. Soothsaying for the win. Also 8 card starting hand.

ziggarius
02-02-2016, 07:37 AM
This encounter needs to be tuned down, either by Rot-Mind Zombie being nerfed to 2 resources or the Spitfire Elemental being affected by Troop Trauma if Wiktor goes first.

I can concur with the rot-mind zombie. By turn 2 there's enough 1/2 cost removal that can deal with the spitfire. I play necro mage myself, and I have burns and crackling bolts for this encounter, using the gloves on the burns. Then I use an eye of lixil to deal with all the x/1 lethals (This also gets around the spitfire damage if I don't get my removal in my opening two 8-card hands).

I think the 3/1 zombie that causes random discard, then put two cards from crypt back to hand is a bit rougher as it can steal your key cards. I ended up bringing Frost Wizards to void that punk, it does mean I no longer gets cards back from the crypt but a lot better than dealing with it cycling back into his hand all the time lol

Ebynfel
02-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Why dont you get cards back? I thought Frost Wizard only applied to opponents Crypts

Xenavire
02-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Why dont you get cards back? I thought Frost Wizard only applied to opponents Crypts

It relates to the effect of Bloated Zombie (I think thats the name) - come into play effect is all players discard a card, and on death it returns 2 cards from the crypt to the hand.

Ebynfel
02-02-2016, 10:52 PM
ahh

Ertzi
02-03-2016, 06:04 AM
I really don't like the Wiktor fight as a mage. The amount of times he can doom you on turn 2 is just blatantly unfair and unfun.

It generally goes something like this:
Wiktor wins coin flip.
Turn 1 - Wiktor plays blood shard and Rot-Mind Zombie. Wiktor Pings and Attacks with free Spitfire Elemental. (Unaffected by Troop Trauma?) Down to 13.

Mage plays a shard. Passes turn.

Turn 2 - Wiktor plays ruby shard and 1/2 Crush Zombie that gets bigger every time the player takes any damage. Wiktor attacks with Rot-Mind Zombie and Attacks/Pings with Spitfire Elemental. Down to 9, and all spells in hand are cost +1, delaying any 2-drops you have by an extra turn.

Mage sits there because everything in his hand is now 3+

Turn 3 - Wiktor has a Spitfire Elemental, a Rot-Mind Zombie, and at least a 4/2 to 5/2 crush elemental. Wiktor lethals you without you being able to play a single card.

I f***g hate Daze counters. I feel ya. I am not looking forward to Wiktor during a mage run D:

Svenn
02-03-2016, 07:56 AM
I actually didn't find Wiktor all that bad as an Elf Mage, but the extra life probably helped.

Cernz
02-03-2016, 08:06 AM
i won vs wiktor on t5 .. speed + killipede ftw :p (bc wiktor refused to block...)

otherwise i would have been doomed :D

Philip070380
02-03-2016, 08:09 AM
Killipede is one (if not) the strongest troop card in PVE (and really strong in PVP too).

zz_tophat
02-03-2016, 08:42 AM
I actually didn't find Wiktor all that bad as an Elf Mage, but the extra life probably helped.

I have a human mage and an elf mage.

The elf mage feels like cheating it's so much easier to play.

There were so many situations where the human mage just barely won games, finishing with like 3 or 4 health and very often the low starting life will put you in a very bad situation very quickly (like one of those situations where the enemy can just swing with everything, even trading troops to do so and win or you having to give up important troops to block attacks you could otherwise ignore).

An example would be the encounter where you face off against dust buzzards, which can lead to a situation where you take 6 damage from 2 buzzards before you even have a chance to respond. 6 damage is nothing to a cleric, and a warrior could take it and in very short order blow away an offending buzzard with his 2 damage laser eyes. But a mage? You are looking at losing a card to remedy the situation and worse yet, having 8 health is a sphincter clenching amount because you could lose that much in a heartbeat, or in short order if you don't have the momentum.

Xenavire
02-03-2016, 09:41 AM
sphincter clenching

I had to reply just to say this is my new favourite form of saying "oh shit!"

Seluhir
02-03-2016, 01:49 PM
I think the biggest thing I hate about the encounter design is how insanely punishing like 2/3 of the game's encounters are to prophecy... I feel like by choosing to play Coyotle with their distinct mechanic, I am cutting my leg off. I mean, I've always hated mill... but as a prophecy deck mill just literally hamstrings you... and like 2 out of every 3 fights in the current campaign once you get past the first dungeon feature mill to an extreme degree.

Xenavire
02-03-2016, 04:11 PM
I think the biggest thing I hate about the encounter design is how insanely punishing like 2/3 of the game's encounters are to prophecy... I feel like by choosing to play Coyotle with their distinct mechanic, I am cutting my leg off. I mean, I've always hated mill... but as a prophecy deck mill just literally hamstrings you... and like 2 out of every 3 fights in the current campaign once you get past the first dungeon feature mill to an extreme degree.

Uhhh, what? I can count the 'mill' encounters on 1 hand. Dream Spider, one of the encounters in Smoldering dead, and I thought Wiktor (either the hooded one or the boss version.) I can't think of a single overworld encounter that uses mill (and I have cleared it 3 times.) I mean, I'll admit I could be missing a few examples, but definitely not 2/3rds of the campaign.

Ebynfel
02-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Uhhh, what? I can count the 'mill' encounters on 1 hand. Dream Spider, one of the encounters in Smoldering dead, and I thought Wiktor (either the hooded one or the boss version.) I can't think of a single overworld encounter that uses mill (and I have cleared it 3 times.) I mean, I'll admit I could be missing a few examples, but definitely not 2/3rds of the campaign.

Where it might be punishing overworld wise is with gnomes/wormoids. pretty much need to pull prophecy if you want to do them, gnomes eat the prophecy and then hide in the deck.

*Edit* other than that, I have had no issues running Prophecy in campaign. A couple of rough dungeon bosses, but they're doable

Seluhir
02-03-2016, 06:49 PM

Then you're forgetting a LOT of them... that's fine. You're allowed to. It makes sense to not remember them if they don't affect you much.

Go back, play the game from start to finish, and actually make a note of how many encounters involved mill. You'll find a LOT more than 5.(Also note that which race you played as affects a few of the overworld encounters, so that may affect it too)

Xenavire
02-03-2016, 08:50 PM
Then you're forgetting a LOT of them... that's fine. You're allowed to. It makes sense to not remember them if they don't affect you much.

Go back, play the game from start to finish, and actually make a note of how many encounters involved mill. You'll find a LOT more than 5.(Also note that which race you played as affects a few of the overworld encounters, so that may affect it too)

No, really, feel free to list some, because I have played about 1/4th of the campaign with a coyotle and hadn't seen any race specific encounters that used any bury effects, and outside of the race specific ones there are basically zero overworld encounters with flat bury effects. As mentioned, wormoids are punishing, but they aren't bury, so they don't actually meet the criteria (and even if you include them, that is a grand total of 6 encounters, which is still not 1/3rd.)

Rathal
02-03-2016, 10:05 PM
There are a fair number with random odd mill but not too many that mill consistently. I haven't had problems with prophecy outside of wormoids (and didn't use many there), as a Coyotle Mage.

I definitely feel all the low health Mage woes, though. It's pretty ridiculous comparing it to Elf Warrior.. I miss the extra card, but having a giant health pool to start and playing a very powerful ramp deck makes ther latter feel a lot stronger.

I think my most hated fight has to be the wormoids, if you include any more than one gnome in your deck.. I eventually just struggled to take 58 down one side so I could do 1 gnome each on the queen and the other path to see all the encounters. They're hard enough without a bunch of junk gnomes cluttering up your hand.. 16 health means basically two unblocked attacks is death for you.

However, since you only have to do that once, any one the dungeon encounters that can stack 3+ burning also get an honorable mention. Prophet of the Sun and co. did a lot of work there, let me tell you..

striderz
02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Ya my Vote is for, Wiktor

- Using a human mage and haven't manged to kill him yet. Usually dead on 3rd turn, at least with Army of Myth x 6, you can last longer .