PDA

View Full Version : Modified Starter Deck Variant (7 Punch + 4 Vulnerability)

khailcon
02-01-2016, 02:27 AM
I'm curious if anyone has tried playing with starter decks of 7 Punches and 4 Vulnerability's.

This has the effect of making the second hand of each player a bit more of an unknown. This slows the early game down a bit and gives more incentive towards destroy/discard effects.

I guess it also makes cards that use vulnerability cards a bit more attractive.

LexLuthorJr
02-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Haven't tried it and probably won't. First, why would you want to slow the game down? Second, cards that destroy are already highly sought after in games. I don't often see people turning those down often. Also, there aren't many cards that make use of Vulnerabilities specifically, so it really isn't that much of a game-changer.

I guess I just don't see why you would want to do this. Have you tried it?

GuruGuru214
02-01-2016, 11:17 AM
My group has toyed with the idea of making a starting deck of five Punches, four Vulnerabilities, and a Kick, but we've never bothered trying it. The starting deck is very well balanced. There doesn't seem to be much sense in screwing with it, and even if I did, I would still want to keep it at an even 10 cards.

Carthain
02-01-2016, 11:36 AM
We did a game or two with 6 punches, 3 vulnerabilities, and 1 kick. Certainly speeds up the game. But, you can still get situations where one of your hands is amazing, and the other really low (kick + 4 punches, 2 punches + 3 vuln).

We did this because the main deck I had set up had a LOT of high-end cards and not as many low-cost cards (5 was the most plentiful). So, instead of having the first two rounds just be people buying kicks, we started with a kick in the starting deck.

It didn't make the game particularly more enjoyable -- so we've not done it since (and I've made different custom main decks a bunch of times since that particular one.)

LRoq617
02-02-2016, 10:30 AM
4 vulnerabilities in a starter is a horrible idea. You have the possibility of getting a 1 punch hand in your first two draws. Nobody wants that.