PDA

View Full Version : Game Informer Article

hex_colin
02-01-2016, 05:43 PM
This is pretty positive! :)

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/hex_shards_of_fate/b/pc/archive/2016/02/01/mixing-campaigns-and-competition.aspx

NOBLEStarshield
02-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Thanks for sharing this Colin, I very much enjoyed reading it <3

Xexist
02-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks Colin, reading it now

Xexist
02-01-2016, 06:52 PM
This is pretty positive! :)

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/hex_shards_of_fate/b/pc/archive/2016/02/01/mixing-campaigns-and-competition.aspx

Just finished reading it, fantastic review :)

x78089
02-01-2016, 08:18 PM
That should drive some traffic.

Mejis
02-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Great review. Hope it generates more traffic too!

ThrawnOmega
02-01-2016, 09:19 PM
I played Dan in a booster draft a while back. He wiped me ;)

Cory_Jones
02-01-2016, 09:53 PM
What's cool about Game Informer is the user review feature ;)

Also, yes Dan is awesome :)

Metronomy
02-02-2016, 04:40 AM
btw:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/hex-shards-of-fate

Help boost the user score!!

Two official reviews so far (88 and 95). Thats pretty awesome. If Hex gets listed under top current pc games that alone would be nice advertising.

Wastelands
02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Two official reviews so far (88 and 95). Thats pretty awesome. If Hex gets listed under top current pc games that alone would be nice advertising.

Up to 3 official reviews now http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hex-shards-of-fate-pc-review and it's another positive one :)

'Hex: Shards of Fate is a complex, engrossing, highly rewarding online trading card game that's incredibly fun to play. Its surprisingly deep PvE aspect offers a great introduction to the game, but it's the PvP/tournament side of the game where its long-term appeal really lies.' -USgamer

Yoss
02-11-2016, 10:26 AM
Wow, that reviewer has got a pretty bad case of Hex Fever. ;) Sounds like he's completely sold on the game.

Xexist
02-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Up to 3 official reviews now http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hex-shards-of-fate-pc-review and it's another positive one :)

'Hex: Shards of Fate is a complex, engrossing, highly rewarding online trading card game that's incredibly fun to play. Its surprisingly deep PvE aspect offers a great introduction to the game, but it's the PvP/tournament side of the game where its long-term appeal really lies.' -USgamer

Dayum! Nice review! Wish I knew that guys player name.

Metronomy
02-11-2016, 11:18 AM
btw..I said it before and I say it again and I say it because it gets mentioned in the review...the sound department has room for improvement...im not talking about the music though..im talking about card sounds...legendaries (and maybe even rares and aa cards) should have a spoken word phrase when played. One thing blizzard always understood that audio feedbacks are incredibly important. Many game developers lack there. Blizzard introduced audio feedbacks when selecting units in rts games and they knew that hearthstone would have to have them as well. Thats certainly one thing HXE could and should pick up from hearthstone. The phrases could be diverse. Some might be funny (mp:d) and some just epic. They can be very short and they can be longer. They could be spoken by the character itself (humans) or they could be spoken by a lore narrator (e.g. mastery of time) . I do know we do have card audio feedbacks. But they are so generic that I could not tell the difference.

plaguedealer
02-11-2016, 11:34 AM
btw..I said it before and I say it again and I say it because it gets mentioned in the review...the sound department has room for improvement...im not talking about the music though..im talking about card sounds...legendaries (and maybe even rares and aa cards) should have a spoken word phrase when played. One thing blizzard always understood that audio feedbacks are incredibly important. Many game developers lack there. Blizzard introduced audio feedbacks when selecting units in rts games and they knew that hearthstone would have to have them as well. Thats certainly one thing HXE could and should pick up from hearthstone. The phrases could be diverse. Some might be funny (mp:d) and some just epic. They can be very short and they can be longer. They could be spoken by the character itself (humans) or they could be spoken by a lore narrator (e.g. mastery of time) . I do know we do have card audio feedbacks. But they are so generic that I could not tell the difference.

Hearing the same phrase every time the card makes a action like attack would be extremely annoying to me. Kind of wish there was no sound when the card attacks.

ossuary
02-11-2016, 11:38 AM
It was a conscious decision by CZE NOT to have spoken word audio when cards enter play. It's a nightmare for a small company with localization expenses to try to get that kind of stuff translated and recorded for all the languages the game is offered in. Maybe it's something they can look at down the road, but don't think of it as an oversight or a failure, but as a necessity of their status as a small company still getting on their feet financially.

Cory_Jones
02-11-2016, 11:50 AM
Ossuary is correct VO would be great but, the cost of localization for 9 languages would be problematic (we have thought about adding a "little" VO to one specific thing, and may still do it)

I will say I have the opposite opinion on the overall sound in the game, I think its amazing, the music is so far beyond my expectations it blows my mind, and I really like all the little sound effects (its a tricky thing to balance cool and annoying when repeated 100 times). Like everything else in this game its a task MUCH larger than anyone realizes, and our 2 man sound team just about killed themselves to make it great. (thank you Todd and Mark, I love you)

just my .02

Zophie
02-11-2016, 11:50 AM

No thanks. Localization costs aside, I think it would change the dynamic of how some people enjoy playing the game. I think the current sound effects are varied and descriptive enough of the cards played, and give it just enough of an ambient atmosphere that I can enjoy while still not being too distracting that I can't also watch a show or a movie or something while I'm playing. If I had cards yapping away at me constantly through every game it would force me to turn off sounds completely during these times instead of just the music off. Also like plaguedealer said, it's easier to get annoyed at the same spoken line being repeated regularly than a more subtle non-spoken sound effect. I love the sound design direction as it is right now.

Metronomy
02-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Two easy solutions. Have a checkbox for the feature and have english support only for the begining It h isnt that unusual..especialy for smaller developers. Hack...even big productions often have english audio with subtitles only. And just for clarification..it should only be a one time only on cast event.

Btw...I didnt want to critisize the sound apartment overall. Im convinced they are doing a great job and missing phrases aside I think the sound is spot on. But still...phrases would go a long way (at least thats my opinion). Having a short catchphrase when playing down a legendary just makes it that much more special. Psychologicaly it also helps to build memories. Phrases could help reminding people when they had fun in the game. Just wanted to share...thanks for the feedback Cory.

One thing you guys do infinitely better than Blizzard is giving feedback^^.

fido_one
02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Great review, one more and metacritic posts Hex: SoF publicly with what could be a really high review aggregation.

Reminder for the community to go in and review, the super negative ones that are dragging the user review aggregate down are from obvious opponents to the game that haven't really explored it, I take more stock in the 5-9s than the 0's and 10's... Still, anyone reading this, metacritic needs your review regardless of what your score is as it'll correct it to a more realistic value that speaks to new (non-biased) players.

funktion
02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Can anyone explain metacritic's thing that shows 3/4 reviews and that a 4th is needed? What does having a 4th accomplish or unlock?

Elwinz
02-11-2016, 12:02 PM
it unlock actual score for a game

Cory_Jones
02-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Can anyone explain metacritic's thing that shows 3/4 reviews and that a 4th is needed? What does having a 4th accomplish or unlock?

it gives your official meta score, it needs 4 to be an consensus

fido_one
02-11-2016, 12:09 PM

It posts it publicly when it hits 4 or more (though I think you need higher 'official' review numbers to promote it). Works like Rottentomatoes w/ movies and T.V. shows - they won't list an official aggregate until they get a certain number of established press reviews. So if the next one hits in the high 80's or 90's, many people's first introduction to the game will be via an aggregate score that is quite high.

Since it doesn't have 20 or 30 reviews under its belt, I suspect users will immediately look at user reviews beyond the press ones.

fido_one
02-11-2016, 12:10 PM
it gives your official meta score, it needs 4 to be an consensus

That's exactly what I said! In 1/20th the space. And more clearly. I hate people that can communicate effectively!

Zophie
02-11-2016, 12:22 PM
the super negative ones that are dragging the user review aggregate down are from obvious opponents to the game that haven't really explored it,

Yeah I was reading through those last night and many of those 0-score reviews have a ton of blatantly wrong information in them, I got super frustrated that there is no option to reply to any particular review, but I guess that's probably for the best. Just makes it even more important for people that really know the game to write up fair and accurate reviews of our own. I haven't added mine yet but I intend on doing one soon.

Xexist
02-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Ossuary is correct VO would be great but, the cost of localization for 9 languages would be problematic (we have thought about adding a "little" VO to one specific thing, and may still do it)

I will say I have the opposite opinion on the overall sound in the game, I think its amazing, the music is so far beyond my expectations it blows my mind, and I really like all the little sound effects (its a tricky thing to balance cool and annoying when repeated 100 times). Like everything else in this game its a task MUCH larger than anyone realizes, and our 2 man sound team just about killed themselves to make it great. (thank you Todd and Mark, I love you)

just my .02

Is that one thing the Cory card? Let me guess, you are learning 9 different languages so you can pull it off? :D

fido_one
02-11-2016, 12:41 PM

just my .02

I know this is the choir talking to each other, but I agree, the sound and music are fantastic. Until PvE came out, Hex was a program that floated on a secondary monitor as I did my work, and when I focused on play, I'd kick up a playlist and rock out. I'm beyond OCD on music, so it takes a lot for me to take a 'sidebar' game (meaning I have it open regularly to play between work sessions as opposed to a full screen game that gets 100% of my attention but less time played) to pop on the sounds and music.

Still have yet to turn off PvE music and sounds unless I'm grinding a dungeon while watching T.V., so yes, I think the review was great but scratched my head on the sound bit as well.

funktion
02-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Cool thanks guys, that's what I figured the case was but wanted to know if there was more going on underneath the hood.

hex_colin
02-11-2016, 03:54 PM
It was a conscious decision by CZE NOT to have spoken word audio when cards enter play. It's a nightmare for a small company with localization expenses to try to get that kind of stuff translated and recorded for all the languages the game is offered in. Maybe it's something they can look at down the road, but don't think of it as an oversight or a failure, but as a necessity of their status as a small company still getting on their feet financially.

I'm going to bend their arms to do a little VO for my dungeon. ;)

Utonium
02-12-2016, 04:00 AM

Why is that? Are there 9 different dragon languages?

Saeijou
02-13-2016, 03:39 PM
what is "VO"? :/

Aradon
02-13-2016, 03:45 PM
what is "VO"? :/

Voice-overs or voice-acting.