PDA

View Full Version : DC Super Heroes/Super Villains

Cyninja1
02-02-2016, 12:06 AM
If you were to rank each Super Hero and Super Villain from all core sets plus expansions, who is the strongest to the weakest link? Give a brief reasoning for each character.

LRoq617
02-02-2016, 10:32 AM
If you were to rank each Super Hero and Super Villain from all core sets plus expansions, who is the strongest to the weakest link? Give a brief reasoning for each character.

Not sure what we're ranking here. Are you asking to rank the Super Heroes/Villains based on how powerful they are in this game? Or in DC lore/literature in general?

Cyninja1
02-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Not sure what we're ranking here. Are you asking to rank the Super Heroes/Villains based on how powerful they are in this game? Or in DC lore/literature in general?

Ofcourse I'm referring to the game. Sorry was not clear about that. Will be posting my play group's ranking in a while.

Carthain
02-02-2016, 09:10 PM
It's hard to judge them in a vacuum. Someone can go from being mediocre to being amazing, or being great to being middling. It all depends on the contents of the main deck you are using. Even if you're not customizing the main deck - using someone like Harley with the main deck from the Original DC game is much different than using her in Forever Evil or Teen Titans.

So, we would need more context in which to judge them.

Cyninja1
02-02-2016, 09:10 PM
The following ranking is solely based on a one character variant game. Our group usually sticks to the core sets of each character as the synergy of the characters are better.

Justice League (base set)

1) Martian Manhunter - with two options of hero/villain that are usually available and his ability to trigger only needed two of a card type. This powerhouse usually wins most of our games played.

2) Aquaman - nobody has a better turn 2 or 3 (maybe Shazam) than him. The ability to use the card you just purchase whether during your turn or the next is a huge headstart. Wins most of the time especially in short games.

3) Cyborg - with two options in equipment and superpower, he probably has the most consistent ability to trigger.

4) Green Lantern - ability will almost always trigger mid game. Downside is it usually takes a few more turns to trigger as starter card hinders him a lot.

5) Superman - can easily be a top 3 since kicks are always available. Having a +3 power for the first kick played is huge. Line up dependent as you need other superpowers to maximize his ability. Downside is superpowers are usually defense cards so players go after them always.

6) Wonder Woman - can ba rank higher as villains are always available (super villains are villains in card type) and having that extra card is valuable.

7) Batman -
wish i could really put him higher but based on all the games we've played, the player who controls him usually loses. Downside is that he relies only in equipments and they are usually defense cards that are highly sought after. Also line up dependent. Equipment in our opinion is the weakest of all the cards types. Hero/ Villians are better.

8) Flash - though he has no restrictions on any card type, it's hard to build a deck based on "draw a card" cards. Best strategy for him is to get two locations and build from there and he can get steam rolling. I think he should have been given also a +1 power to match up well with the others

*Heroes Unite is coming up next

LRoq617
02-08-2016, 11:36 AM
The following ranking is solely based on a one character variant game. Our group usually sticks to the core sets of each character as the synergy of the characters are better.

Justice League (base set)

1) Martian Manhunter - with two options of hero/villain that are usually available and his ability to trigger only needed two of a card type. This powerhouse usually wins most of our games played.

2) Aquaman - nobody has a better turn 2 or 3 (maybe Shazam) than him. The ability to use the card you just purchase whether during your turn or the next is a huge headstart. Wins most of the time especially in short games.

3) Cyborg - with two options in equipment and superpower, he probably has the most consistent ability to trigger.

4) Green Lantern - ability will almost always trigger mid game. Downside is it usually takes a few more turns to trigger as starter card hinders him a lot.

5) Superman - can easily be a top 3 since kicks are always available. Having a +3 power for the first kick played is huge. Line up dependent as you need other superpowers to maximize his ability. Downside is superpowers are usually defense cards so players go after them always.

6) Wonder Woman - can ba rank higher as villains are always available (super villains are villains in card type) and having that extra card is valuable.

7) Batman -
wish i could really put him higher but based on all the games we've played, the player who controls him usually loses. Downside is that he relies only in equipments and they are usually defense cards that are highly sought after. Also line up dependent. Equipment in our opinion is the weakest of all the cards types. Hero/ Villians are better.

8) Flash - though he has no restrictions on any card type, it's hard to build a deck based on "draw a card" cards. Best strategy for him is to get two locations and build from there and he can get steam rolling. I think he should have been given also a +1 power to match up well with the others

*Heroes Unite is coming up next

I guess it really depends on your playstyle, but for the base set, this is how I rank them in one-character variant:

1) Aquaman: Little to no variance, doesn't have to play a specific deck type, and combos better than anyone. He can also cut other specific-type characters free of charge. Still the best character to this day, in my opinion.

2) Cyborg: It's really close between Victor and MM, but Cyborg triggers easier and earlier. Plus, he benefits from Kicks, which are always available. Just a disgusting character.

3) Martian Manhunter: Arguably the most powerful original character, but he loses out on fluidity compared to his two harder matchups. He's still an absolute powerhouse, however. If both of his abilities trigger, he's better than anyone.

4) Green Lantern: Very powerful, but lacks somewhat in consistency. He has a similar upside to Aquaman in that he doesn't have a lot of variance and can cut off just about anyone. The only real downside is that he doesn't benefit from excess Kicks unless he has Man of Steel.

5) Wonder Woman: Fairly close between WW and Supes, but draw power just wins out over the long haul. She might even be better than GL, but I've seen him win more games. Regardless, she can outdraw everyone, but cheap villains in the base set tend to be lacking, so there's her downside.

6) Superman: Always has a good buy on turn 1-2, and is arguably the most consistent character. He's just not very flashy, and he doesn't combo super well outside of Man of Steel, but that card's busted anyway.

7) The Flash: His second ability can be easily discounted, unless you have a location, but the ability to go first should never be overlooked. Probably Aquaman's only fairly difficult matchup as Flash will always be able to jump the gun.

8) Batman: I've reached the point where I just never want to play this character, ever. There's nothing he can do that another Equipment character can't do better; Cyborg, Nightwing, Batman-12... you name it. He's just worse, and he loses to all of them unless he's ahead of them. Plus, everyone who doesn't want Equipment wants them anyway, so his goodies are almost guaranteed to get gobbled up.

StormKing
02-08-2016, 03:52 PM
I feel like Superman is the most consistent (as has been said) so should always be #1. I don't find him particularly fun since it's always just "Super Powers in the line-up? No? Buy a kick", but that strategy will cause a Superman to generally win unless someone else gets really lucky.

Cyninja1
02-09-2016, 03:22 AM
Next up will be the Justice Society Crossover pack 1 since we usually intergrade it to the Justice League deck (base).
(Please give insights if played on other core sets)

1) Wildcat - toss up between him and Dr. Fate, but we went with Wildcat. The most consistent among the group to trigger his ability. Much like Martian Manhunter but easier to trigger needing only 1 of hero/villain then 1 punch to draw.

2) Dr. Fate - arguebly the strongest in the group for his ability can trigger multiple times in a turn. Frustratingly very hard to play as you tend to look at the costs of the cards sometimes leading to hard choices as you are looking for those consecutive cost cards. Still a powerhouse to be reckoned with.

3) Power Girl - same as Superman pertaining to different Super Powers, those 7 punches can easily be utilized giving extra power.

4) Alan Scott - in line with Superman and Power Girl, drawing those punches on top of your deck or even the vulnerabilities(not drawing them next turn) are decent enough. Not to mention looking the top of your deck for every different super power can be a huge advantage when maximizing it.

5) Star Girl - decent character when defense cards are available. Problem is defense cards are always taken immediately thus she is easily blocked by foes.

6) Jay Garrick - slightly a better version of the Flash, discarding lesser cards for a better one can be a game changer. Best played defensively by going for defense cards. Downside is the same all pertaining to defense cards.

7) Mr. Terrific - same issues as Batman, tied up only to equipments. We know the advantage of arranging decks (top 3) can be good but underwhelming compared to the other six.

Cyninja1
02-09-2016, 03:36 AM
I feel like Superman is the most consistent (as has been said) so should always be #1. I don't find him particularly fun since it's always just "Super Powers in the line-up? No? Buy a kick", but that strategy will cause a Superman to generally win unless someone else gets really lucky.

Agreed. As mentioned, can easily be a top 3 over-all due to the availability of kicks. But Superman cards such as X-Ray, Heat Vision, Super Stength etc. are always bought up when available. As a player, I always get those cards when available no matter who the character I play. Still a personal favorite as I usually win with him or not the last place.

LRoq617
02-09-2016, 05:08 AM
If Superman had any kind of consistent draw power, I would agree, but you have to remember that it does in fact win games, which is why characters like Cyborg tend to blow right past him.

Next up will be the Justice Society Crossover pack 1 since we usually intergrade it to the Justice League deck (base).
(Please give insights if played on other core sets)

1) Wildcat - toss up between him and Dr. Fate, but we went with Wildcat. The most consistent among the group to trigger his ability. Much like Martian Manhunter but easier to trigger needing only 1 of hero/villain then 1 punch to draw.

2) Dr. Fate - arguebly the strongest in the group for his ability can trigger multiple times in a turn. Frustratingly very hard to play as you tend to look at the costs of the cards sometimes leading to hard choices as you are looking for those consecutive cost cards. Still a powerhouse to be reckoned with.

3) Power Girl - same as Superman pertaining to different Super Powers, those 7 punches can easily be utilized giving extra power.

4) Alan Scott - in line with Superman and Power Girl, drawing those punches on top of your deck or even the vulnerabilities(not drawing them next turn) are decent enough. Not to mention looking the top of your deck for every different super power can be a huge advantage when maximizing it.

5) Star Girl - decent character when defense cards are available. Problem is defense cards are always taken immediately thus she is easily blocked by foes.

6) Jay Garrick - slightly a better version of the Flash, discarding lesser cards for a better one can be a game changer. Best played defensively by going for defense cards. Downside is the same all pertaining to defense cards.

7) Mr. Terrific - same issues as Batman, tied up only to equipments. We know the advantage of arranging decks (top 3) can be good but underwhelming compared to the other six.

I'm somewhat on board with this list, but I'd move Stargirl up to number 3, as her ability tends to do quite a bit of work, and will always have the optimal hand as long as she has at least one Defense card. She compares well with Booster Gold from Heroes Unite: she's better on offense, but he's better on defense. Wildcat beats out Dr. Fate, but it's fairly close, and this is coming from someone who's biased towards Dr. Fate; he's probably my favorite character to play in this entire game (had a 2-through-9 chain once, and it was GROSS).

The other four are all pushovers in one-character games. Power Girl and Alan Scott are both just way worse than Superman, Mr. Terrific doesn't do much of anything except brick half the time because he can't compete against other Equipment characters at all, and Jay Gerrick is WAY worse than the Flash. Instead of moving the card, I'd rather just draw it as an extra, plus he doesn't get to go first.

Overall, I was fairly disappointed in the Super Hero selection from JSA, but the top 2 do salvage it a bit.

gerrymul
02-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Regarding Batman (and Robin & Nightwing) I've thought for a while that it's silly that Kicks are a super power readily available for purchase in a stack, whereas Batarangs are limited to the deck. The limit on equipment really tends to hamstring these equipment based characters, so my thought is that Cryptozoic should make an equipment stack. After all, wouldn't shuriken or batarangs be easy to come by?

Carthain
02-09-2016, 11:41 AM
The "Kicks" being readily available super-powers could easily be a bunch of equipment that anyone could buy -- but there is some balancing done based on the fact that everyone has easy access to the Super-Power stack. So you could change it up, but you could throw off the balance of some characters by doing so.

gerrymul
02-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Make the equipment stack cards only 1 power, cost 2. That would help diminish the power creep. I just can commiserate with everyone on the forum who laments the game with Nightwing or Batman where they are halfway through the main deck before getting more than 1 or 2 equipment.

LRoq617
02-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Regarding Batman (and Robin & Nightwing) I've thought for a while that it's silly that Kicks are a super power readily available for purchase in a stack, whereas Batarangs are limited to the deck. The limit on equipment really tends to hamstring these equipment based characters, so my thought is that Cryptozoic should make an equipment stack. After all, wouldn't shuriken or batarangs be easy to come by?

Valid point, but conversely, it's because Equipment is in a shorter supply that characters with Equipment-based abilities (Cyborg, Nightwing, Batman) aren't even more disgusting than they already are. Cyborg and Nightwing are already very good characters without Equipment-on-demand, and while I have my reservations about Batman, he would be really gross if he had access to Equipment at any time primarily because he doesn't have to play different Equipment to get multiple triggers of his ability.

StormKing
02-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Valid point, but conversely, it's because Equipment is in a shorter supply that characters with Equipment-based abilities (Cyborg, Nightwing, Batman) aren't even more disgusting than they already are. Cyborg and Nightwing are already very good characters without Equipment-on-demand, and while I have my reservations about Batman, he would be really gross if he had access to Equipment at any time primarily because he doesn't have to play different Equipment to get multiple triggers of his ability.

Yeah if there were an Equipment stack, Batman would be insane.

gerrymul
02-10-2016, 02:12 PM
There would need to be an errata to Batman to make his power the same as Superman - +1 power for each different equipment played.

Regarding Nightwing - with no equipment he's useless, and in many ways underpowered compared to similarly themed heroes like Cyborg or Indigo 1. My point is that the super power related trigger abilities are too easy to activate with the kick stack in comparison to the equipment related powers. And agreed that Cyborg would become obnoxiously overpowered early game by buying out kicks and an equipment stack. The introduction of the batarang in Heroes Unite was a good start having equipment that does nothing except give power when played, but because it's cost 2, they get snapped up right away from the lineup, neutering Batman, Nightwing, and Robin unless they get the favorable flop on their turn. I have added more equipment to custom decks to make the characters more playable. Another option would be to remove the super power card type from kicks and make them yellow like starter cards, eliminating the Superman and Cyborg early game jump start.

LexLuthorJr
02-11-2016, 04:19 PM
I think one of the things that worked against Batman in the first set was a lack of high Power Equipment. The only Equipment that gave more than +2 Power was Power Ring, and that wasn't always guaranteed to work. There are no Equipment cards that generate straight Power other than Batarang. We need to see Equipment that either naturally have high Power (Power Girl/Doomsday/Super Strength) or have the potential to get high Power (Winged Warrior/Giganta).

LRoq617
02-12-2016, 09:26 AM
I think one of the things that worked against Batman in the first set was a lack of high Power Equipment. The only Equipment that gave more than +2 Power was Power Ring, and that wasn't always guaranteed to work. There are no Equipment cards that generate straight Power other than Batarang. We need to see Equipment that either naturally have high Power (Power Girl/Doomsday/Super Strength) or have the potential to get high Power (Winged Warrior/Giganta).

I honestly think that it was fine, by this reasoning. Sure, having access to a Doomsday, Super Strength, or Blue Beetle that grants extra power is great, but there's nothing shoddy about getting +3 Power out of a 3-drop or 4-drop like Power Ring, Aquaman's Trident, or The Cape and Cowl.

The problem is that a lot of this cheap equipment was excessively usable and everyone wanted to get ahold of it. Compare it to a card like Zatanna Zatara, which isn't very good for characters that don't have a Hero-centric ability like Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, or Indigo-1. If there had been a marginally useful Equipment that was really only good for someone like Batman, it likely would've panned out a lot better, but the only real example from the first set is probably Batmobile, and even that card was still very good for Cyborg (who's already absolutely better than Batman in every way) and Flash.

LRoq617
02-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Since the OP hasn't posted about it, I'll post my personal ranking list for the Heroes Unite roster.

1) Shazam: One of the most busted characters ever printed. He's very dependent on variance, but just having the possibility of snagging 6-cost or 7-cost bombs for only 4 Power AND getting to use them for the next turn leads to too many games where he just zooms out way ahead of everyone else. It's easily a 4:5 or 9:10 ratio or better where he has a great game as opposed to a below average game. Probably my least favorite character to play against because he just doesn't play this game in a fair capacity.

2) Starfire: Maybe the best promo character so far. She outdraws just about everyone in the game at an early rate (even the monstrous Cyborg) and she can grief the rest by just buying Kicks. Only an early expensive Super Power in the Line-up slows her down, but that also forces your foes to make a choice: force you to buy said busted Super Power (i.e. Shazam, Teleportation) or buy it to let you start your ability all over again. She tends to win out in most given situations, and steamrolls very quickly.

3) Nightwing: Better than Batman (ironically), but definitely not better than Cyborg. The Equipment in this set is a bit more skewed to the point where other players may not be inclined to buy it (Batarang, Legion Flight Ring), so that helps, but he's still a little too dependent on a specific card type to reliably get ahead of the two characters above him. I do believe he tends to fare a bit better in a HU-only game than a mixed session, for what that's worth.

4) Black Canary: I'm only slightly giving her the nod here because of the fact that Super-Villains are more prominent than Super Heroes. It also doesn't hurt that most of the bad, cheap villains (Manhunter, Deadshot) likely won't be picked up by other players, so you have griefing options.

5) Hawkman: He's about the same as Batman was in the original set, but there aren't any other characters griefing his card type here. You may have a hard time snagging cards that others will always want like Raven, but I'm never hesitant to pick up cards like Superboy or Daughter of Gotham City either just because of the combo potential that never has a downside.

6) Batgirl: My personal favorite character from the set, but she takes a bit more work than those above her. She has great utility in being able to fuel the HU Locations, but she lacks the overall power that characters really need to get ahead in this set.

7) Red Tornado: Another very fun character, but he's worse than a more streamlined character like Green Lantern, in addition to requiring a lot more work. I'm never a fan of buying sub-par cards just to make sure I can trigger his ability the following turn, but those are the breaks sometimes.

8) Booster Gold: Don't get me wrong; Booster Gold is NOT a bad character. But he suffers from the exact same problems that Batman did in the first set: EVERYONE wants what he needs. Defense is essential to surviving in this game, and they get scooped up at a very high priority, only preceded by Super-Villains and possibly destruction cards like Red Lantern Corps and Soultaker Sword. With a solid foundation, he's disgusting... but getting there is the biggest struggle.

LexLuthorJr
02-13-2016, 03:42 AM
The problem is that a lot of this cheap equipment was excessively usable and everyone wanted to get ahold of it.

That was a major factor as well, yes. I still think that the lack of a high Power Equipment hurt Batman.