PDA

View Full Version : Champion Creation Reference Guide - comments and suggestions welcome!

MrSeriousBsns
02-02-2016, 10:44 AM
So, my compulsive need to understand exactly how my character choices in RPGs mechanically affects gameplay lead me to create a Champion Creation Reference Guide (I used to obsessively check the Arreat Summit when I played D2 because I had to know EXACTLY how much damage I'd be doing).

I'd appreciate it if anyone would like to have a look over it and provide any suggestions for additions, flag errors, and generally help to make the guide better.

Champion Creation Reference Guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vIv6goNgypbf-mcLwwIgn7oTrjXLtZal75LsejD0Z34/edit?usp=sharing)

I realize it isn't the prettiest lookin' filly in the stable, but it took me a while to get it to what I felt was good enough to make public. I'll be spending the next few weeks/months/years making it look better and also including new stuff when future PvE updates increase the level cap, unlock new talents, etc.

I already have a "To Do" list at the bottom of the doc with some immediate chores and I'll be happy to add to it with your suggestions!

Hope it helps!

LeMazing
02-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Looks good so far! I read the first few pages and glanced through the rest.

No suggestions other than what's already on your to-do list. Having the talent-only cards on display will be a great improvement.

nicosharp
02-02-2016, 11:42 AM
It looks good and is comprehensive.

Edit:
On my second review, this is great. Not sure if I only saw part the first time I looked. The shard alignment by race and talent tree by class are nice additions.

MrSeriousBsns
02-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Thanks for weighing in guys! I'll be making improvements to the guide from today forward, so be sure to check in every-so often to see how its coming and provide feedback.

Ertzi
02-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Did I just see you write stuff on there in real-time. That was hypnotic! :D Looks awesome. I love that so much info is in one place now.

MrSeriousBsns
02-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Ha! Yeah, I just decided to change up the formatting and bring the shard alignment charts under their corresponding race entries. I think I like the more cohesive feel to the information that way.

I'll just be working my way up and down the doc over the next few days/weeks while I take everyone's feedback on board.

Phenteo
02-02-2016, 03:16 PM
Wow, this looks great! You rock!

velk
02-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Very nice.

DrakarT
02-02-2016, 03:37 PM
As always, I appreciate you doing some tutorials for hex as you do on your videos
What I would change is talking about the Classes before the races so they would know about the blessings before knowing that it changes with a racial

sukebe
02-02-2016, 03:54 PM
I like it, thanks for putting this together :-) I definitely like having the shard charts with the race description as that makes it easier to make a decision of which one to go for.

MrSeriousBsns
02-03-2016, 03:53 AM
Wow, this looks great! You rock!

Thank you very much! Hex's amazing PvE was the driving motivation for the guide and I can't wait to keep it updated moving forward.

@DrakarT - I struggled with the formatting because Race is so important from a lore and roleplaying perspective that moving it after classes might make new players miss out on the importance of history in Hex ("oh, its just warrior/cleric/mage" etc). I wanted to suck new players in and get them to identify with a race via the short descriptions (which have now been finished) because Hex has such interesting backstories for the races. I'm definitely open to discussion on that or anything else, though!

Thanks again, all, for the compliments!

ziggarius
02-03-2016, 06:38 AM
For the Necrotic Race, the Shard Attuned talent doesn't seem to care about the resources at all. It cares about the number of aligned cards to a shard instead.

I play a 5-color deck currently, it's predominantly diamond/blood atm, and I have 6 Ruby cards (3 burns, 3 deathmask assailants). This gives me a +2 HP heal at the start of the fight. If I were to bump that to 8 ruby cards, I'd get a +3 HP heal.

My resource base is 5 diamond shards, 3 blood shards, 2 ruby shards, 1 wild, 1 sapphire, 4 shards of fate, 4 sepulchra crypt dusts, shard of hatred (blood/ruby), shard of retribution (blood/diamond), and shard of conquest (diamond/ruby).

If it did count the resources, and I wish it would then the 6 ruby cards and 2 ruby shards would activate the +3 heal.

tl;dr: If you want maximum bonus, you need 40 cards split evenly across 5-colors before your resource base.

Yoss
02-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Nice work. In the front, you say there will be faction-specific content later. There already is right now (Fort Romor vs Bleak Citadel).

Saeijou
02-05-2016, 02:33 PM
very helpful! thanks :)

velk
02-05-2016, 07:35 PM
As pointed out by someone in my ratings thread, the text on Essence Extraction now reads 'When an opposing troop dies, gain 1SP', so you probably want to update that.

Stormlight
02-06-2016, 02:57 PM
tl;dr: If you want maximum bonus, you need 40 cards split evenly across 5-colors before your resource base.

Not necessarily 40 cards; I've verified that multi-shard cards count as a card of each shard (7 diamond cards + 7 blood cards + 1 diamond/blood card counts as 8 blood cards and 8 diamond cards). So you can have 8 cards of each shard with less than 40 cards.