PDA

View Full Version : Crossover Pack Idea: Intergang/Crime Families

bigtipper
02-03-2016, 01:17 AM
I'm a huge fan of the DC Deck-Building games and own almost all of them. I like to think up different ways to play the game. Arrow has the under-the-card system, Legion has the Time Travel system, and Watchmen has the Co-op Challenges and Traitor system. Forever Evil has the VP token system and Teen Titans explores the ongoing system further.

Here's my idea that would add even more variation: Auctions!

The theme is based on the Intergang storyline (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergang) and the Crime Families of Gotham (http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Gotham_Organized_Crime).

Basically, you have the wealthiest players of DC comics "bidding" on advanced Apokoliptian weaponry, mercenaries, corrupt police/governmental officials, etc. The end goal is to maintain control of Metropolis/Gotham/other Turf, and they will not let anyone get in their way *cough* Super Hero stack *cough*

I imagine the Auction system would work this way:
-Players are given a set amount of Auction Tokens at the start of the game (# determined by CE)
-Cards found in the Crossover Pack have a bold print (just like Time Travel cards) with the format: Auction X, where X is the minimum bidding amount (which differs based on individual cards and determined by CE).
-Auction cards are main deck cards that will end up in the line-up. If there is an auction card in the line-up, the player whose turn it is may decide at any point during their turn, to start an auction for it.
-Instead of spending power on the card, the card is now being bid on using the Auction Tokens.
-Bidding starts with the current players turn (and they bid the minimum). Bidding continues clockwise with the next player able to place a bid higher than the current highest bid.
-Players that decide not to bid, will then pass, which removes them from any future bidding on the current Auctioned card.
-Bidding resumes until there are no more competing bids (either due to choice or the players do not have enough Auction Tokens to bid higher)
-The player with the highest bid wins the card, which is then placed into their discard pile. The spend Auction Tokens go out of play (like Weakness cards).

Note: Players can also buy Auction cards straight from the line-up using Power like any other card (and forego the bidding process).

Similarly with Time Travel, I like the idea of special effects (such as Oversized Card abilities) that would allow non-Auction cards to be auctioned off. In that case, the minimum bid would be the power cost of the card. For example, the Man Of Steel card would start out at 8 Auction Tokens to purchase.

Possible Oversized Cards:
-Bruno Mannheim (Intergang Leader)
-T.O. Morrow (Red Tornado's creator)
-President Luthor (?) :D
-Black Mask
-Bertinelli Crime Family (Huntress)
-Falcone Crime Family
-Maroni Crime Family (you'll recognize a lot of these from the Gotham TV show)
-Thomas Wayne (?) (Leader of Wayne Enterprises before his death and definitely a wealthy individual)
-Oswald Cobblepot (I think he's deserving of an OS card by now, and surely fits in the crime family/black market theme)

Possible Oversized Card abilities:
-You may discard a super power in order to send any card in the Line-Up to Auction. If you do, draw a card.
-You may discard a defense card in your hand to cancel the current Auction and return the Auctioned card to the Line-Up. If you do, draw a Card.
-You may place any card you bought using Auction Tokens on top of your deck.
-Whenever you buy an Auction card, draw a card.
-+1 Power for each Auction card played during your turn.

There is obvious balance issues among the above abilities, plus some of them are useless without Auction cards in the Main Deck/Line-Up. CE can get more creative in that department.

The Super-Villain/Hero stack can consist of people like Commissioner Gordon, Batwoman (Kathy Kane), Jason Todd/Red Hood, Lois Lane (?).

I'm hardly an encyclopedia on comics, so there's probably a ton of content that I'm not addressing, but I think this gives a good look into the theme and gameplay regarding an Auction-based Crossover Pack.

Hope you enjoyed the read! :D

BenJazz
02-03-2016, 07:47 AM
I could see the auction mechanic working with the VP tokens from Forever Evil, that way there is a tangible value being lost and there is a bigger drive to grab the VP token cards (need them to bid). You could also add some "VP" Ongoing cards that act as VP tokens and stay in front of you that would allow integration into other main sets without throwing off the balance of the deck with "dead" but useful cards. Those VP cards could still be hit by attacks that discard them or other such evilness. The cards could still be worth VP's at the end of the game if you don't spend them but obviously don't have in-game abilities associated with them.

Interesting idea... I would be curious to see it thought out more.

bigtipper
02-06-2016, 12:00 PM
I would argue against VP tokens as the used currency, because 1) VP tokens are more valuable by themselves, and 2) It would somewhat require a purchase of Forever Evil in order to use.

I think it would be better to print Auction Tokens as part of the Crossover Pack, and leave the VP Token mechanic as part of the Forever Evil gameplay.

Carthain
02-07-2016, 05:21 AM
or they could just print more VP Tokens as part of this kind of crossover.

BenJazz
02-07-2016, 09:47 PM
or they could just print more VP Tokens as part of this kind of crossover.

Well the issue would be how you gain those VP tokens in none FE games (since that is the only set that gives VP's). That would be the idea then behind "VP" Cards in the crossover. Think of then as the green cards from Dominion. They are in your deck but don't do much else except for the auctioning. If they are ongoing ( as I suggested) it helps to alleviate the congestion in your deck while allowing you to bid using VP tokens and VP cards that are in front of you (not in your deck).

bigtipper
02-07-2016, 10:33 PM
I think you're straying away from the concept though. The mechanic revolves around Auctioning cards in the line-up. I am strongly against using VP tokens because

1) Using them to Auction cards from the Line-Up seems counter-intuitive. Let's say that you have 5 players in a group, and 1 person starts the bid, and it happens to have a minimum bid of 1. By the time it goes around the table and back to the initial bidder, we're up to a new bid of 6 VP Tokens for a single card (assuming everyone had the ability to participate). Very few cards are worth that price outright, and it doesn't even consider a second round of bidding.

If you tried to make the cards worth the VP investment or make VP Tokens easier to get, then you either throw balance out the window or devalue each cards' VP value in the game.

2) VP Tokens as the source of Auction will hurt the players falling behind, which I had hoped my Auction idea would prevent. Players earning VP tokens (easily or just at all) are essentially in the lead. Sure, there are other factors as to a player's position in the game, but generally, the player(s) increasing their VP Token pile are ahead of the players that are not able to do it. So, to give these players another advantage to buy more cards (sometimes unopposed), would go against the spirit of the system, imo.

Let's say that a player breaks the seal and starts earning some VP Tokens. He could then auction a card and basically gain it for the minimum bid, since the other players haven't earned Tokens yet. That hardly seems like an Auction to me.

Overall, I want to see the auction system used to try and balance the pace of the game and give the players falling behind a chance to catch up. Someone that wants an early lead will pay extra for it. They will have less tokens to spend as a result (giving other players the opportunity to gain cards). A player that wants a certain card because they have had bad luck with building their deck will most likely get that card over a player with an established deck, since it would be less valuable to the latter player. There would also be the mind games of how far can I get my opponent to bid on a card I don't really want, but also having to make sure they don't pass and force me to waste my Tokens. This type of gameplay just does not work with the VP Token mechanic introduced in Forever Evil.

Carthain
02-08-2016, 08:36 AM
but generally, the player(s) increasing their VP Token pile are ahead of the players that are not able to do it.
I don't see that as being always true, or even a significant thing. I'm not aware of any of the games I've played with FE where the VP tokens were what decided who won. Usually it's from defeating the super heroes, or from any 'quest' VP cards. But, that's not to say you have the same experiences ... just another data point to consider. :)

BenJazz
02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
I think you're straying away from the concept though. The mechanic revolves around Auctioning cards in the line-up. I am strongly against using VP tokens because

1) Using them to Auction cards from the Line-Up seems counter-intuitive. Let's say that you have 5 players in a group, and 1 person starts the bid, and it happens to have a minimum bid of 1. By the time it goes around the table and back to the initial bidder, we're up to a new bid of 6 VP Tokens for a single card (assuming everyone had the ability to participate). Very few cards are worth that price outright, and it doesn't even consider a second round of bidding.

If you tried to make the cards worth the VP investment or make VP Tokens easier to get, then you either throw balance out the window or devalue each cards' VP value in the game.

2) VP Tokens as the source of Auction will hurt the players falling behind, which I had hoped my Auction idea would prevent. Players earning VP tokens (easily or just at all) are essentially in the lead. Sure, there are other factors as to a player's position in the game, but generally, the player(s) increasing their VP Token pile are ahead of the players that are not able to do it. So, to give these players another advantage to buy more cards (sometimes unopposed), would go against the spirit of the system, imo.

Let's say that a player breaks the seal and starts earning some VP Tokens. He could then auction a card and basically gain it for the minimum bid, since the other players haven't earned Tokens yet. That hardly seems like an Auction to me.

Overall, I want to see the auction system used to try and balance the pace of the game and give the players falling behind a chance to catch up. Someone that wants an early lead will pay extra for it. They will have less tokens to spend as a result (giving other players the opportunity to gain cards). A player that wants a certain card because they have had bad luck with building their deck will most likely get that card over a player with an established deck, since it would be less valuable to the latter player. There would also be the mind games of how far can I get my opponent to bid on a card I don't really want, but also having to make sure they don't pass and force me to waste my Tokens. This type of gameplay just does not work with the VP Token mechanic introduced in Forever Evil.

I can understand your reasoning with VP tokens then. What about the concept of discarding "VP" from hand for bids (i.e. bidding 5 VP and discarding standard cards from hand with a cumulative total of 5 VP)? Would keep a balance in terms of not favoring a certain play style but also presents a short term disadvantage to gain the card. Obviously as you get later game there could still be a balance issue but other players have a better opportunity as well of increasing the cost for that bidding player. The downside would be if you end up with a bum hand during the bid or the bid comes early in the game while everyone has lots of starters still. The auction tokens to me just don't seem to have the same weight as an actual in game sacrifice (unless you are talking about some really powerful cards that are up for bid).