PDA

View Full Version : PvE suggestion: More interactions between the race of the champion and troops.

Vengus
02-03-2016, 02:52 PM
As the title says, we already have class-based affinities but very little race-based affinities. I'd like to see more interactions between the race of the champion and the race of the troops to spice deckbuiding up and make the various race/class combinations more appealing. Currently theres no reason to choose one race over another other than their racials, which means players will just flock to the best race for "insert class here", leaving little variety. With race-based affinities, it will open up new options for a variety of the less popular races, sets the races more apart and increases the replayability of the campaign.

Yoss
02-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Actually, the race determines your shard grid, which is a huge influence on how your deck will play.

Xenith
02-04-2016, 04:09 AM
This doesn't stop you playing Humans with armor or Dwarves with an extra Merc. In the original spoiled full Orc Warrior tree they had Affinity: Orc and Affinity: Ardent. I'd like to see these types of bonuses added back.

I understand why they were pulled. You shouldn't be punished for playing basic effects like Howling Brave in Shin'hare or Bombsmith in Humans. However, just like there are incentives for playing 100+ card decks, decks which play 15-20+ cards of a single race should also be incentivized.

I'm sure stuff in this vein is coming. I believe the Zoltog merc was reported to have an Orc build around ability. Strongholds would be another area where you could potentially get +faction and +race bonuses.

Vengus
02-04-2016, 07:22 AM
Actually, the race determines your shard grid, which is a huge influence on how your deck will play.
Only at the lower levels. You unlock more shards as you level up until all restrictions are gone.

Yoss
02-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Only at the lower levels. You unlock more shards as you level up until all restrictions are gone.

True, but the statement holds for the entirety of the content we currently have. If you're including future content, then all sorts of possibilities are added to the discussion. For example, as the shard grid opens, there could also be affinity skills added around those same champion levels.

BenRGamer
02-04-2016, 10:59 PM
I've heard, I haven't really tested it myself, that allegiance works even if you don't have a card matching the requirements, if your champ matches it. I could see more equipment and cards having allegiance for stuff. That way it's both useful to a particular race and class, or to a particular kind of deck.

Xavon
02-05-2016, 11:51 PM
I thought this was going to be about the fact that the dialogue is pretty much the same across the board. Why do a Shin'hare, and Human, and an Elf all talk to the various Gaal and Myraa the same way?

Vengus
02-06-2016, 02:40 PM
I thought this was going to be about the fact that the dialogue is pretty much the same across the board. Why do a Shin'hare, and Human, and an Elf all talk to the various Gaal and Myraa the same way?
It's not about that but I agree that different dialogues would be a nice addition to the game. It would certainly make the campaign more immersive. You could make your own suggestion thread about that. :)

Kilo24
02-07-2016, 09:10 AM
I disagree with this idea. The shard grid is already influential, and making good use of the couple of abilities that champions already have that are race-based (Shin'hare, Vennen) limit their deck-building options considerably. I much prefer the approach that each champion can support a wide variety of decks that their abilities influence, rather than having a variety of abilities that have no effect whatsoever because you're playing the wrong race. This is the same reason that I dislike the Jank Bot dwarf racial trait and the Wild requirement of Elf Cleric's level 30 ability. When you've got a character you're leveling up from 1-30 and is facing a host of different challenges, champion abilities should incentivize you to try a wide variety of decks.

More to the point, we're already going to have "champions" with a racial focus: mercenaries. They were explicitly mentioned as a way to have champion abilities that were narrowly focused on a given deck type, as opposed to the more general champion foci. They're just not in yet.