PDA

View Full Version : Need More Character Slots

Shinster
02-10-2016, 09:37 PM
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere; I searched but surprisingly didn't see anything.

So I'd imagine that they'll release more character slots with the new classes and we'll be able to buy character slots as a microtransaction thingie. Unfortunately, with the way that PvE is currently set up we need 'em pretty soon. Many of the PvE cards which're automatic quest rewards for progression with a certain race are extremely good, in some cases mandatory 4-ofs. This means that we have to make multiple characters for most races that we're fond of--especially Vennen, I'm finding--and take them a fair way through the campaign. So either we need to be ready to delete a ton of level 5+s or a way to get more slots ASAP.

I'm at the point where I've only one disposable slot left, which is going to make things pretty goofy and is a major disincentive to play. Several friends are at similar points. Hopefully options to deal with this are added soon.

Aradon
02-10-2016, 11:44 PM
While I agree that I'd love more slots, I just want to point out that once you finish the second bridge quest (defeating the Corrupted Fae) and visit Ambling Mesa/Cave-In, you get both the racial rewards. Sometimes you won't even hit level 3. It's grindable, but yeah, not a great play process.

I think we're stuck with what we have until next PvE patch though. I imagine the Stronghold will be dealing with account options, like character slot unlocks.

Shinster
02-11-2016, 09:32 AM
While I agree that I'd love more slots, I just want to point out that once you finish the second bridge quest (defeating the Corrupted Fae) and visit Ambling Mesa/Cave-In, you get both the racial rewards. Sometimes you won't even hit level 3. It's grindable, but yeah, not a great play process.

Ah, whoops--for some reason I had thought you got another bunch of stuff after the trinity dungeon. Must've just gotten reliably nice drops there then. Not as bad, then, but still pretty bad. Welp, looks like I'll have to make & trash 3 Necrotic and 3 Shinhare decks 'for I can make another one!

Yoss
02-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Agreed. More slots should be a very high priority item to fix. I'm thinking they need at least as many slots as there are race/class combinations.

Tazelbain
02-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Having said that, I do want to remind people that it's a lot easier to add rewards to systems than to take them away, so we are being conservative with gold drops and keeping an eye on gold rates in the first adventure zone. Our long term plan is to continuously assess the gold/per hour gain progression in the campaign. Expect gold (and possibly other) rewards to be reworked for all zones with each subsequent release of a new zone. This is necessary because we are putting out the campaign somewhat piecemeal. For example you'll notice that there are very few ways to spend gold in the campaign for now, but we expect the AZ 2 features to change that (remember how people wanted more character slots? Ben has a ton of things cooked up that we can sell you for gold).
This seems to imply buying slots for gold in AZ2.

Turtlewing
02-11-2016, 11:24 AM
10 slots seems adequate for getting started.

They should offer more for gold IMO, but I think waiting for AZ2 on that is reasonable. Especially if the plan is to integrate that kind of "upgrade" into the keep/stronghold system.

malloc31
02-11-2016, 01:53 PM
here's the thing, it's bad enough we have to take 4 of each race a lot of the way through the campaign, to get sets of the cards and then erase them. What if in AZ2 you need 4 of each race to get a sets of cards from that? And we already have erased our alts? I know at least I would be upset (and I bet others too).

Turtlewing
02-11-2016, 03:32 PM
here's the thing, it's bad enough we have to take 4 of each race a lot of the way through the campaign, to get sets of the cards and then erase them. What if in AZ2 you need 4 of each race to get a sets of cards from that? And we already have erased our alts? I know at least I would be upset (and I bet others too).

The thing is, Hex is still unfinished.
While I agree that eventually there should be a way to get as many character slots as you want. I also think that is the systems for getting more slots aren't finished and if the choice was release now without the ability to buy more slots or delay campaign while they finish the systems that support buying more character slots, well I'll take having to buy some cards oh the AH or re-level from 1 on some alts again come AZ2 release over not having campaign at all yet.

Yoss
02-11-2016, 06:28 PM
While I agree that eventually there should be a way to get as many character slots as you want. I also think that is the systems for getting more slots aren't finished and if the choice was release now without the ability to buy more slots or delay campaign while they finish the systems that support buying more character slots, well I'll take having to buy some cards oh the AH or re-level from 1 on some alts again come AZ2 release over not having campaign at all yet.

But why have a limit to begin with? Why not just treat it like our PvP decks where we can save as many as we like, or set the limit at some higher number than 10? Why 10?

malloc31
02-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Your argument is completely ridiculous, they could allow us to have 100 decks just by changing one variable in the code, it is not some time intensive activity. They are delaying it to make it a gold sink which will take more coding, we will have plenty of gold sinks when the game is complete (not to mention even now one rolls all their chests) we do not need char slots to be a gold sink, specially if sets of cards are gated behind it.

---- added

or if they are heart set on charging for char slots they could have made the one time drops drop 4 of those cards, or make them repeatable encounters/quests like the taming quests so that you can farm 4 of each with one char. The combination of limited chars and one time rewards that you need 4 of is bad planing and one side of it needs to be changed.

Turtlewing
02-12-2016, 11:20 AM
But why have a limit to begin with? Why not just treat it like our PvP decks where we can save as many as we like, or set the limit at some higher number than 10? Why 10?

Because, while data storage is cheap it isn't free.

PvP is pay to play and the number of decks you save is going to be soft capped by the size of your collection. PvE is free to play, so it's going to generate some dead weight accounts where a player signs up decides they don't like the game and never comes back. It's in the best interest of Hex's long term viability if those dead weight accounts are somewhat constrained in what they can generate data wise.

Additionally gold sinks are necessary.

You have to have a variety of things people will want to spend gold on but don't necessarily have to. Additional character slots are a time tested gold sink. As you don't need more than 1 slot, but most people want more and some people want vastly more.

As to why 10. If I had made the call it would have been 8 (one for each race). As that's enough to see all the race only content but still leaves incentive to spend gold on more slots. In classic CZE fashion they were more generous than me and chose 10.

Yoss
02-12-2016, 11:39 AM
If that's the argument, then the extra slots gold sink needs to get implemented as one of the very highest priorities, along with having multiple decks per character. The only thing debatably higher priority in my book would be Set 4. After that, two or three patches of pure bug fixing.

Turtlewing
02-12-2016, 11:45 AM
If that's the argument, then the extra slots gold sink needs to get implemented as one of the very highest priorities, along with having multiple decks per character. The only thing debatably higher priority in my book would be Set 4. After that, two or three patches of pure bug fixing.

So set 4, then AZ2 which comes with gold sinks as part of the stronghold system... Like they have indicated is the plan and is the approximate roadmap I supported that you disagreed with?

Yoss
02-12-2016, 11:54 AM
So set 4, then AZ2 which comes with gold sinks as part of the stronghold system... Like they have indicated is the plan and is the approximate roadmap I supported that you disagreed with?

No, not waiting until AZ2. Much, much, much sooner than AZ2. Like I said, it should happen basically ASAP.

Salverus
02-12-2016, 12:01 PM
how much would you expect an extra slot to cost?
10.000 gold each? thus 380.000 to have all combinations. More? less?

Aradon
02-12-2016, 12:39 PM
10k is about where I figured I'd be happy with, but I honestly expect it in the 25k range. I don't think their intent is ever to have easy access to all combinations, because that negates the meaning of choices, so getting to that number is probably going to hurt, a lot.

(edit: nevermind, not paying attention to numbers)

malloc31
02-12-2016, 12:40 PM
how much would you expect an extra slot to cost?
10.000 gold each? thus 380.000 to have all combinations. More? less?

unless they increase gold payouts it should be a lot less.

I still say considering I have close to 100 PVP decks I doubt data storage is that big of a deal.

-edit

and if it costs gold I would hope they add a plat option because I dont want to have to farm that must or deal with trading that much but would just pay.

Yoss
02-12-2016, 01:59 PM
and if it costs gold I would hope they add a plat option because I dont want to have to farm that must or deal with trading that much but would just pay.

They've promised never to directly monetize PvE, all PvE pricing will be in gold. (Which was probably a dumb promise, but it's there nonetheless.)