PDA

View Full Version : Message character limit

Zubrin
02-23-2016, 05:34 PM
I would like to request that the cap be over 500 characters. Not only do I often need more than 500, but responses either exclude the previous message (removing context) or become smaller than a twitter message.

Low priority suggestion, but a quality of life change that would both make community engagement easier and allow people to stay within hex more instead of relying on third party software to exchange longer thoughts.

Clawdius
02-24-2016, 11:45 AM
+1, at -least- increase the cap on message length.

Alternatively, fire your UI designer and anyone responsible for the abysmal redesign of chat. Preferably out of a cannon.

What chat could have used was the "Coming soon™" location and guild chat features, and maybe the ability to disable the notification that people have spoken in general chat (for those who don't want to have to keep pulling it up and closing it to stop the thing from being distracted). What we got instead was some horrible combination of avatars and emoji and a shortened message length (IIRC the older message cap was a bit longer, I guess it's possible I am mistaken but I don't recall having had to use twitspeak or multiple messages anywhere near as often prior to this new system).

You should also segregate your chat buffers - my PMs disappearing because general chat is active is an issue I have literally never encountered before in any other game. I could probably list other issues I've run into with this new chat system, but instead of pondering it further I'll go stab myself with a fork. That will be far more enjoyable than pondering the series of terrible decisions that must have been approved in order to lead us to the current chat system.

Yoss
02-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Yeah, the chat overhaul was mostly a big step backwards in my book. Some things improved, but the basic structure is much worse.

Clawdius
02-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Yeah, the chat overhaul was mostly a big step backwards in my book. Some things improved, but the basic structure is much worse.

When you and I agree offhandedly, it's clear that something must be done. We must tread carefully though, if we do it thrice inside a week we will summon Jörmungandr and he will begin the end of the age.

Zubrin
02-28-2016, 11:28 AM
My post is in regards to in game mail, not chat.

Clawdius
02-28-2016, 03:38 PM
My post is in regards to in game mail, not chat.

Yeah after further consideration I realized that the current chat system limits us to well below 500 characters, I couldn't paste in a 200 character comment. It's like they turned the chat into twitter, at the same time that Twitter is looking into expanding their message sizes.

500 characters for in game mail is a bit silly as well, when there really shouldn't be a cap. If someone wants to have a prepared new players guide set up for game mail format that should be something we're capable of. When it comes down to it, the first thought when having a conversation in a game has never before been "Where else can we communicate, because this is hands down the worst chat system ever conceived". I mean, MUDs had less restrictive chat and mail systems decades ago. There is no practical reason for their current limitations that I can conceive.

Even spam from currency sellers and the like in other games has never been very long, so it isn't like they're doing it to interfere with that behavior. Everything besides the COD in the mail system is in some way aberrant. The chat buffer is split between all channels, so private messages get eaten by active global chat. There's no way to file away mail from friends, everything is dumped into the same folder, I played a variety of LP MUDS where the mail and chat systems were both far better than what we've been relegated to in Hex. I find it somewhat difficult to imagine what sort of situation they felt mandated such limited capacity for communication, but even the emoji avatars lack associated /commands to access them. There is no "/sad I just lost to Uruunaz" that will automatically revert your Avatar to your normal aspect. The /help command doesn't list /me yet, and I could probably find some more stuff to rant about if I wanted to. But I'm sorry for derailing your thread, when I saw the character limit in the title I just assumed it was about the chat.