PDA

View Full Version : Primal Dawn Revealed!

LNQ
03-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Set 4 coming in early April! (targeted)

https://www.hextcg.com/revealing-primal-dawn/

I wonder what Empower will do? Stingshot Sniper seems to be potentially really good, even with the randomness of it's ability.

The title of our next set is “Primal Dawn”! Each set tells a progressive story about the world of Entrath. Primal Dawn will feature over 300 new cards and enhance several styles of gameplay.

Read more about Primal Dawn and check out the new logo & spoilers: https://www.hextcg.com/revealing-primal-dawn/

nicosharp
03-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Hype time. It looks really good. Those card spoils are juicy.

Gorgol
03-02-2016, 11:12 AM
:O

eimerian
03-02-2016, 11:12 AM
Primal dawn? I read about them in Time magazine!

Flairina
03-02-2016, 11:17 AM
So aside from wondering what "Empower" is supposed to mean, the reveal of a Primal Dawn card makes me wonder why there is no Shattered Destiny card. I'll be waiting on that.

Quantius
03-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Dark Souls 3 and HEX Set 4, guys omg, I need a clone asap.

Saeijou
empower is probably something like "pay more get more"
pay double, get double creatures :)

GobBluth
So excited! Now we just need someone who goes to the Invitational to wear a GoPro and record all of the cards in the set!!

Refugee
03-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Here's my guess for Empower. Escalation makes your next copy of the card do +X. Empower will allow you to discard (or perhaps shuffle back into deck) a copy of a card to to make the other copy of the card do +X. So if you have 2 Primal Dawns you discard one and the other will create 6 random wild troops. If you discard a bee man than existing bee men will deal damage to two targets (or one target twice) on the attack.

My chips are lain!

Salverus
03-02-2016, 11:27 AM
nice, immediately new keyword spoiled.
I am excited.
And very nice art too, especially the primal down. Cant wait to EA that.
Also the set icon has a lot of detail, good job!

set 4 release on april 1st, this will be a good marketing tactic for hze

Cernz
03-02-2016, 11:40 AM
I was hoping for release next week due to corys hyped intro ;) but its just early april... which is quite late imo :) but im super hyped to play set4 "soon"!!

go hex!

Reeplay
03-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I was hoping for release next week due to corys hyped intro ;) but its just early april... which is quite late imo :) but im super hyped to play set4 "soon"!!

go hex!
It took a whole page but here you have it everyone. In a thread to celebrate the good news we have out first post of someone complaining in this thread because they got expectations from nowhere even if it has a nice thing posted at the end.

We get some exciting info though. Set name, set icon, targeted launch time, number of cards in set, card spoilers and the champion number confirmation of 6. I wonder what the 6th champion will be. The 5 unused dual shard combos are an easy guess but there's that 6th one which is any ones guess.
That art on Primal Dawn is amazing. One of my favorite arts so far
Psionic Flame seems.... Very good

Cernz
03-02-2016, 11:51 AM
:( dont take life too serious will :)

Vorsa
03-02-2016, 11:55 AM

/BowsDown :cool:

Exciting news indeed!

Primal Dawn
I really like this one; small enough to be a pretty efficient card engine (3 wild troops with +1/+1 must have a solid rate of good troops), just big enough to play well with Elves.
Awesome art doesn't hurt!

Psionic Flame
It sounds plenty good, but in practice 1XX is really very expensive; spend 5 and this is a very costly Oracle Song with a Burn, so really need to be paying 7 before this gets strong.
Hope Necrotic or Humans contribute some good R/S support, though can already make plenty of action-focused decks for that combo.

Necropolis Blackguard
At first blush seems awful; can pay 4 for a vanilla dual-threshold 6/6 and lose 6 health if it survives the turn, or pay 5 and Shift it to a softer/expendable troop - either way a lousy rare prospect.
However I have to assume that the only good reason to print this card is that there will be some means to Shift on to an enemy (or temporarily possessed) troop, allowing for fiendish combos with Inner Conflict & the like...

Stingshot Sniper
Outstanding!
Would play even without knowing what Empower does, so can only get better in my estimation (Stirring Oration should be fun).

My guess for Empower?
It is clearly card-targeted, but unless they are being sneaky with the templating in these previews I don't think it's an Escalation-style effect - would really need to have bold-ed numbers, unless it is some generic buff e.g. "add 1 to all numbers that appear in game text."

Instead I'll opt for something like when you play a card, you are Empower-ed to play copies of the named card for free that turn.

Phenteo
03-02-2016, 12:00 PM
The title of our next set is “Primal Dawn”! Each set tells a progressive story about the world of Entrath. Primal Dawn will feature over 300 new cards and enhance several styles of gameplay.

Read more about Primal Dawn and check out the new logo & spoilers: https://www.hextcg.com/revealing-primal-dawn/

parogui
03-02-2016, 12:05 PM
I wonder what the 6th champion will be. The 5 unused dual shard combos are an easy guess but there's that 6th one which is any ones guess.

5 shard requirement power activation necrotic hero!

Aradon
03-02-2016, 12:09 PM
I initially thought Primal Flame was 1X cost and would be incredible. At 1XX though, I am a doubter. It'll be good in limited, but I don't think it'll be a real player in constructed formats. 3 mana to draw a card and deal 1 damage is niche, and 5 mana for draw-2 with a burn is ok in a slow format. 7 for 3 and 3 is not awful, but each of these modes are only ok if you are finding a valuable target to burn as well. My imagination suggests that at 7 mana, you'll need to deal more than 3 damage to impact the board enough.

Audens
03-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Necropolis Blackguard
At first blush seems awful; can pay 4 for a vanilla dual-threshold 6/6 and lose 6 health if it survives the turn, or pay 5 and Shift it to a softer/expendable troop - either way a lousy rare prospect.
However I have to assume that the only good reason to print this card is that there will be some means to Shift on to an enemy (or temporarily possessed) troop, allowing for fiendish combos with Inner Conflict & the like...

Even without any new cards, there are a couple cool combos with this card (Flaring Passions and Marrowmage both come to mind, although the thresholds would be an issue.), although I think using lifedrain is the real answer here. Combining this with Marrowmage and a Gemsoul Feeder would be pretty ridiculous...until it gets Parriphagied, of course.

Vorsa
03-02-2016, 12:16 PM
5 shard requirement power activation necrotic hero!

Make it so! :cool:

Although if I were to wager, I would opt for a shardless champion - for the double appeal of:
* Saftey net when aiming for a dual-shard draft and falling short.
* Tricksy tactics where players completely change their deck between games.

katkillad
03-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Looking forward to Srimal Dawn.

Crota
03-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Hype for Primal Dawn!

Thank you for giving everyone plenty of time to build their Armies of Myth play sets but I'm sure everyone will be looking forward to the new rewards and cards in the next set.

Salverus
03-02-2016, 12:32 PM
we were impatient and already started discussing;
can you merge http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=48206?

Kayas42
03-02-2016, 12:43 PM
I initially thought Primal Flame was 1X cost and would be incredible. At 1XX though, I am a doubter. It'll be good in limited, but I don't think it'll be a real player in constructed formats. 3 mana to draw a card and deal 1 damage is niche, and 5 mana for draw-2 with a burn is ok in a slow format. 7 for 3 and 3 is not awful, but each of these modes are only ok if you are finding a valuable target to burn as well. My imagination suggests that at 7 mana, you'll need to deal more than 3 damage to impact the board enough.

Psionic Flame?

It would have been good if it was Quick speed. But at Basic speed it's just average.

ThrawnOmega
03-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Since Hex patches tend to be on Tuesdays, I'd read it as April 5 is the target Launch date.

DaethStaR
03-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Since the set has not been "officially" released, I am sure if a card is underperforming or overpowered, it will be tweaked. I am reminded that the removed the Ozawa socketed action after the pre-release event and the cost or ARMY of Myth being changed due to it power level.

Psionic Flame is not good as a basic in any way shape or form. For that cost, it should be quick or even change the thresholds on it and lower the cost to make it playable.

Otherwise, it will just be a binder filler for those working on playsets or even rarely a limited card and that is iffy.

Timlagor
03-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I expect Psionic Flame to be usable in Limited at least.

Aradon
03-02-2016, 01:43 PM
I think it's going to depend on the style of format. If it's relatively slower, or features a lot of troops worth killing at 2 toughness, it's a decent turn 5 play. But if it's fast enough where you can't afford to overspend on your burn, you might not be able to make it work.

That being said, it's a scaling burn spell, and also card advantage, so you can probably make a deck use it in limited. You just need to be able to draw it out a bit to really shine.

wolzarg
03-02-2016, 01:57 PM
More hearthstone rng in that elf god i hope this is just a set 3-4 thing. Otherwise it really does look amazing and the art is absolutely wonderful and even a step up from previous sets it seems.

Angmar
03-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Even without any new cards, there are a couple cool combos with this card (Flaring Passions and Marrowmage both come to mind, although the thresholds would be an issue.), although I think using lifedrain is the real answer here. Combining this with Marrowmage and a Gemsoul Feeder would be pretty ridiculous...until it gets Parriphagied, of course.

Clearly play Chark, swing with him once, play this and a resource, shift, and let Chark punch your opponent for 9.

IS GOOD DEAL I SWEAR.

But in all seriousness, I can't imagine the Blackguard getting used in competitive play.

Boogaloobboy
03-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Pscionic flame sucks as you have to tap out to play it and control type decks are all that want this card. Junk rare.

hex_colin
03-02-2016, 03:13 PM
I'll say this about Psionic Flame - I think you'll see the utility of having lots of actions available to you when you see some of the underlying archetypes/themes in the set. It'll probably get more play than people think.

More generally, it's impossible to properly evaluate any given card until you know about all the cards, how they interact with each other, Set3, and prior sets. ;)

Fred
03-02-2016, 03:40 PM
So aside from wondering what "Empower" is supposed to mean, the reveal of a Primal Dawn card makes me wonder why there is no Shattered Destiny card. I'll be waiting on that.

There was a card named "Destiny" at first, but it got shattered and is no longer in the set.

Zophie
03-02-2016, 04:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ttwElcu.gif

Audens
03-02-2016, 04:05 PM
I'll say this about Psionic Flame - I think you'll see the utility of having lots of actions available to you when you see some of the underlying archetypes/themes in the set. It'll probably get more play than people think.

Tease.

SacrificialToast
03-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Looking forward to Srimal Dawn.

Please, it clearly says Srimxl Dawn.

Quantius
03-02-2016, 05:04 PM
But in all seriousness, I can't imagine the Blackguard getting used in competitive play.

I can. Suicide Blood. A 4 cost 6/6 is pretty beefy. Hand disruption, some removal, a couple 1 or 2 drop troops and Blackguards.

Jugg
03-02-2016, 05:43 PM
I know everyone is all excited and I don't want to be a buzzkill... but is there really only one new keyword/mechanic?

hex_colin
03-02-2016, 05:52 PM
I know everyone is all excited and I don't want to be a buzzkill... but is there really only one new keyword/mechanic?

There's the further development of other keywords/mechanics that didn't get enough exploration in the previous set(s). And a whole bunch of new archetypes that will be possible. And the resurgence of some older limited play styles that lost favor over the last couple of sets. So, even if Overpower is the only brand new keyword, it doesn't need to mean that there are not a lot of exciting things going on with the set. :)

RCDv57
03-02-2016, 05:57 PM
I can. Suicide Blood. A 4 cost 6/6 is pretty beefy. Hand disruption, some removal, a couple 1 or 2 drop troops and Blackguards.

Could also dump that power on a lifedrain troop, or a troop that does a thing that it does DMG to a champ. Someone might be able to figure out a cool combo with it.

knightofeffect
03-02-2016, 06:02 PM

More generally, it's impossible to properly evaluate any given card until you know about all the cards, how they interact with each other, Set3, and prior sets. ;)

That maybe so; however, at face value this card hurts me.

My favorite TCG card of all time is Prophetic Bolt, this card can't help but remind me of that card in its function, flavor, and art. Sadly, I find it real hard to imagine scenarios where it isn't magnitudes worse.

selpai
03-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Can we change the obnoxious MTGish format of X costed cards? These are confusing and we can do soooo much better in a digital game. First of all, for threshold specific costs, why aren't the X's colored? It could easily be 1XX, but it's not. Secondly, the IntegerX format implies multiplication, when addition is being used. There's no reason that the cost can't look like 1+X+X...

Audens
03-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Can we change the obnoxious MTGish format of X costed cards? These are confusing and we can do soooo much better in a digital game. First of all, for threshold specific costs, why aren't the X's colored? It could easily be 1XX, but it's not. Secondly, the IntegerX format implies multiplication, when addition is being used. There's no reason that the cost can't look like 1+X+X...

Disagree on coloring the Xes, as it might give the impression that you need at least X of each threshold.

Fateanomaly
03-02-2016, 07:05 PM
What is the point of colouring it?

selpai
03-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Then why not eliminate the double X's, and just have it as 1+X2?

And the point of the colored X's is to show that it exists because of the dual threshold.

Brjuntinaar
03-02-2016, 07:34 PM
That maybe so; however, at face value this card hurts me.

My favorite TCG card of all time is Prophetic Bolt, this card can't help but remind me of that card in its function, flavor, and art. Sadly, I find it real hard to imagine scenarios where it isn't magnitudes worse.

That would probably be because Hex developers seem to consciously tone down the MTG power creep, especially on spells. I <3 prophetic bolt as well, but it was one of those cards that dominated in Ravnica draft formats, and I think it's good that there just aren't many cards in Hex at that power level.

plaguedealer
03-02-2016, 08:33 PM
There's the further development of other keywords/mechanics that didn't get enough exploration in the previous set(s). And a whole bunch of new archetypes that will be possible. And the resurgence of some older limited play styles that lost favor over the last couple of sets. So, even if Overpower is the only brand new keyword, it doesn't need to mean that there are not a lot of exciting things going on with the set. :)

I really hope there are more tunnelling and escalation cards. Very excited for the new set.

knightofeffect
03-02-2016, 10:29 PM
That would probably be because Hex developers seem to consciously tone down the MTG power creep, especially on spells. I <3 prophetic bolt as well, but it was one of those cards that dominated in Ravnica draft formats, and I think it's good that there just aren't many cards in Hex at that power level.

They reprinted it in Ravnica? I only remember it from Apoc. And yea it was good in draft, but it was a rare, those can be pretty busted in draft. It never dominated constructed. And I'm not even looking for something as good as it, but this is just a whole lot worse.

I mean, even if it was a quick action it would likely be slightly worse.

ciripel1289
03-02-2016, 11:49 PM
I am hyped for the new set also but i think the most important aspect of the game is to be soon bug-less(close to bug/free).
I really hope that the new patch (set) will address all current bugs before adventuring further or the bugs will escalate with further addition of cards/mechanics and with that will ruin it!
I do not want to seem pessimistic but that is indeed the most important aspect of the game that need addressing.

Voormas
03-03-2016, 12:29 AM
Bugs are going to happen, thats just life - I hope though that this is the start of a more stable release schedule for sets because it's been sorta killer (we're still going to be seeing Set 3 cards dropping with 4-4-3 draft so that will no doubt be the set with the longest period of active circulation)

Sixlooter
03-03-2016, 01:01 AM
Oh man, this is so kewl. "So fett wie deine Mudda, Alta!" ;)

Too bad this will take until April. I REALLY want to spend money and play Gauntlet until I have a complete Set.

BTW anyone already an Idea what "EMPOWER" does?

Gregangel
03-03-2016, 01:11 AM
For me the big surprise in this announcement is the size of the set : 300+ instead of about 250 like in the last two sets.
I can't help thinking it is maybe a hint about set rotation with the set next to Primal Dawn... In fact I really hope for, so i may be misled

LNQ
03-03-2016, 01:15 AM
I just want to point out that I got to be the creator of the Primal Dawn Hex News & Announcements thread!

Take that, Phenteo!! *runs*

eimerian
03-03-2016, 04:27 AM
/BowsDown :cool:

Glad somebody got my old people joke :P

DrakarT
03-03-2016, 08:56 AM
Will we have spoiler videos as we did on shattered destiny?

Brjuntinaar
03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
They reprinted it in Ravnica? I only remember it from Apoc. And yea it was good in draft, but it was a rare, those can be pretty busted in draft. It never dominated constructed. And I'm not even looking for something as good as it, but this is just a whole lot worse.

I mean, even if it was a quick action it would likely be slightly worse.
Nope, I was confused. Card seemed so Izzet to me that I misremembered when I played with it. After a quick search, I figured out I was thinking of Electrolyze. Prophetic Bolt is a cool card too. Both go well in a Jhoira EDH deck. :)

Timlagor
03-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Missed an excellent opportunity for a 1XY cost

hitchslap88
03-03-2016, 03:53 PM
My guess for Psionic Flame is that there are going to be cards that give you access to many temporary resources. I've already tampered with a Scraptech Brawler deck that aims to give you a bunch of resources for a life siphon or burn to the ground, but there are just not enough cards out there to support it.

Yoss
03-03-2016, 06:21 PM
My guess for Psionic Flame is that there are going to be cards that give you access to many temporary resources. I've already tampered with a Scraptech Brawler deck that aims to give you a bunch of resources for a life siphon or burn to the ground, but there are just not enough cards out there to support it.

Don't forget Maestro!

Showsni
03-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Nope, I was confused. Card seemed so Izzet to me that I misremembered when I played with it. After a quick search, I figured out I was thinking of Electrolyze. Prophetic Bolt is a cool card too. Both go well in a Jhoira EDH deck. :)

But is it better than Invoke the Firemind?

hitchslap88
03-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Also, I'm interested in the fact that it's "Empower: [card name]" instead of just "Empower". Means there will be cards that Empower cards other than themselves, or perhaps cards that say something like "change all instances of "Empower: [card name]" to "Empower: [this]."

sukebe
03-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Also, I'm interested in the fact that it's "Empower: [card name]" instead of just "Empower". Means there will be cards that Empower cards other than themselves, or perhaps cards that say something like "change all instances of "Empower: [card name]" to "Empower: [this]."

they have actually said that is just a display bug that will be fixed very soon. They will just say "Empower" when we get our hands on them (assuming the bug is fixed by then)

strawwmann
03-04-2016, 03:44 AM
What is the point of colouring it?

Oh dear, someone clearly hasn't been keeping up with latest trends:
colouring in books for grown ups (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/why-millions-of-grownups-are-buying-this-colouring-book-for-adults/)
color it (http://www.colorit.com/)
and because THIS is the reason you really needed to ask (http://www.beserk.com.au/cosmetics/hair-colour) :)

strawwmann
03-04-2016, 04:00 AM
And what is this card:

https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Buccaneer.png

It shows up in the other recent article on the metagame primer (https://www.hextcg.com/latest-brew-invitational-metagame-primer/).
Is the 6th new Champion?

Salverus
03-04-2016, 04:27 AM
its an AI only champion in the campaign i believe, keeps showing each time the word Buccanneer appears in a news article.

strawwmann
03-04-2016, 04:35 AM
OK, that's the same case with the Psychotic Anarchist (https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Psychotic%20Anarchist.png) Champion then?

Audens
03-05-2016, 08:07 AM
OK, that's the same case with the Psychotic Anarchist (https://hextcg.com/wp-content/themes/hex/images/autocard/Psychotic%20Anarchist.png) Champion then?

Yes, it happens with all of the cards that are also champions.