PDA

View Full Version : 2 Turns Ahead Interview with Cory Jones

Zubrin
03-05-2016, 02:32 PM
The podcast is now live. Big thanks to the community for helping us direct questions to what you were all interested in. I think we ended up cutting 6-7 questions in the podcast just due to time. The questions I cut were mostly ones that were a bit less pivotal, but were kind of nice-to-knows. There is a ton more we could have asked, but hope we got to some of the more interesting questions for the community.

http://2turnsahead.com/episode-100-teatime-with-cory/

Transcript by Salverus (work in progress)
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wGQqZJ3DIfQlRc3tcjGvq4FTz2_vmez2QSmWUqhCtPA/edit)

In roughly six days, Pentachills and I will get another opportunity to interview Cory Jones for our 100th episode.

Like last time, (http://2turnsahead.com/episode-50-conversation-with-cory-jones/) we are soliciting proposed questions. Our last interview went extremely well due to community participation and we hope to achieve a solid interview yet again.

So, please, let us know what you want us to ask Cory.

LeMazing
03-05-2016, 02:43 PM
What was your favorite piece of AZ1 to see completely finished?

What unreleased race/class combination are you most looking forward to?

When will we get a legendary Dingler troop?

Refugee
03-05-2016, 02:50 PM
There's a lot of relatively complex encounters that were added to the game with the launch of campaign. For example, the sea hag gains resources at the start of her turn if you don't have a creature of sufficient power. Are these systems set up such that once established they are easily reused or does it have to be created anew each time? For example, now that the sea hag exists would it now be much easier to make a troop which gets +2/+2 if an opponent had no creatures over power 3? Can you talk a bit about how the reuse of such encounters is accomplished if it's possible?

If encounters are created out of modular building blocks than I feel we can look forward to much more rapid development as well as increasingly complex an interesting encounters. On the other hand if each encounter must be custom made that obviously slows things down.

SquallTiofae
03-05-2016, 02:57 PM
What is the team more focused on after Set 4: Set 5 or PVE Adventure Zone 2?

Reeplay
03-05-2016, 03:21 PM
What would you say is your favorite moment of hex since the kickstarter so far?

Will future events like the 100k be held in countries other than the US?

Gregangel
03-05-2016, 03:22 PM
When will you inform the players about the rules of set rotation for standard constructed ? Did set 1 and 2 will cycle out with set 5 for exemple ? Important question for new players who want to put some good money in pvp.

Seshia
03-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Realistically, given the problems you have had with the production line for the past sets and AZ1, when do you think that the next Adventure Zone will come out?

madar
03-05-2016, 03:37 PM
I wonder how he sees the future of the HEX. Actually i was thinking to sending him a PM already a few times, but i am not sure i want to disturb him with my curiousity. I wonder, because in the first years he was really hyperactive and had the head full of shynie things and ideas, started (and abandoned) a blog. I wonder if he is still have this mentality, and he just not communicate, because he realized that is better to not give out all of the plans, cos the ppl begin to ask when it will be done, or he lost some steam? I am aware maybe he don't have option, only answer that he still have the old power and look, to don't sadden the playerbase. I feel same with Colin too btw, he is a bid depopped (/wave Colin), and when he say something, it's usually short, and somehow not that hyped. Maybe it's only my feelings, and he asked to not leak info.
I also wonder how he sees, and how is the financial of the HEX project? I mean in general, if he want to talk about... Did they used already all of the KS money, and now they fueling the HEX project from other projects? Or the HEX project can doin' by itself already? I don't think so... How much is the income of the developing fees? Like half?
I also wonder can they give out some data about the players number? I wonder what was the peak of the active players when the PVE came out. Or if they dont want to give out numbers, maybe just like, doubled, or tripled of the normal population? Does the income jumped up too with the PVE, did the PVE guys bring in money into the system?

Metronomy
03-05-2016, 04:20 PM

+1...we probably dont get answers though but those things are important.

It's important to have a next tournament series. And just saying there will be another such series eventualy is not good enough. People need hard facts before investing into the game. Players need to know the game is stable and that there are upcoming events.

To quote Cory from his end of the year letter:
"Our little community is getting bigger, with over 700,000 downloads of the game and 120,000 monthly active users."

I have hard times believing the 120,000 number. I am sure im not the only one. I dont say Cory is lying. It probably is a misunderstanding in the meaning of that number. So maybe he could clarify that number. Especialy for november/december that number felt a way too high.
It still feels too high.

Vorsa
03-05-2016, 04:46 PM
PvE AZ1

Was the Howling Plains always going to be the starter zone, or were the multiple candidates you could 'down-level'?

Might the Taming Sphere return? Gotta' catch them all...

What happened to blood's "at the start of the game, if this is in your deck" card? Feel free to spoil. :p

Set 4

Which of the new dual-shard combos is most exciting to Cory?

Will there be any R/W cards for Elves or B/S cards for Vennen?
They aren't among the 'featured' shard combos, but are the only dual-shards available to those featured races...

Are there any Elf cards with sockets? :)

PvE AZ2

Unlikely to be answered, but nonetheless...
Can Cory give us any examples of mercenary support abilities? Or tell us if there support abilities that effect matches (so not only XP, loot, lives etc.)?

Tazelbain
03-05-2016, 06:00 PM
What are hex's plans for making the transition of new and casual players into PvP Constructed less difficult?

CoS
03-05-2016, 06:14 PM
When does Hex Ent plan on releasing a comprehensive rules document?

Estar1
03-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Q: Is there any work being done on overhauling the AH interface into either an Ebay System of being able to place a max bid or a buy/sell system. Searching past 30 pages of a single card is frustrating, as is odd choices like clicking 4 times to get lowest buyout price.

Wuggalix
03-05-2016, 06:21 PM
There has to be a question regarding whether or not Hex will do on a regular basis highly prized tournaments (in a near future)... And if so, how many of them should we expect per year.

wolzarg
03-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Most important question of the year which he might be able to answer or might not will the pet for ranger be based on race or same for everyone?

Gorgol
03-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Will they ever make it so we can have non-timed friendly matches? When playing against friends especially new ones to Hex, the timer gets in the way a lot and is super frustrating for them and for me.

Amsterdam
03-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Could you tell us something about the changes Perfectworld is making to Hex:China to make it more suitable for the Chinese market? How closely are you working together on Hex China, any chance some of the changes they make & artwork will find it back to Hex

frychikn
03-05-2016, 10:19 PM
What is the team more focused on after Set 4: Set 5 or PVE Adventure Zone 2?

i always thought PVE releases would coincide with PVP from now on :/

Taqo
03-06-2016, 01:29 AM
Did Cory try out several dresses before deciding which one he should wear as Princess Cory?

Kami
03-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Q: Does HEX still plan to create a 'sandbox' mode (i.e. custom rules/settings)? There's been no mention of it for ages - wondering if it was still on the board.

Q: Are more casual multiplayer formats still on the board as well? Such as Free-For-All, 2/3-HG, Emperor, Commander, etc. I'd assume after Raids are implemented, if so.

Q: How has HEX grown around the world in gardens other than NA/EU?

Q: When will we be able to compete/play against other gardens? :stormcloud:

Q: Are there any plans for additional novels for HEX?

JQ: Can we get a Princess Cory bobblehead?

ThrawnOmega
03-06-2016, 08:07 AM

+1 to this question. If not novels, novellas? Regular releases of short stories? I'd love to see a steady drip of lore in the universe.

<------
<------
<------
I know a guy who'd be happy to write and submit some fiction if they're looking for writers.

RCDv57
03-06-2016, 09:39 AM
+1 to this question. If not novels, novellas? Regular releases of short stories? I'd love to see a steady drip of lore in the universe.

<------
<------
<------
I know a guy who'd be happy to write and submit some fiction if they're looking for writers.

I also know a guy who would be happy to draw some minicomics.
He isn't nearly as good as they guy they've already got, but he can work a bit faster than a couple pages a year. The art style is kinda crappy thou. Might upset a buncha people used to good art.

Also ask him if he has heard of MTG. They do have an online version now? No idea if he's heard about it thou.

madar
03-06-2016, 10:17 AM
The art style is kinda crappy thou.

No, isn't. I like it! And i missing it!

Salverus
03-06-2016, 02:22 PM
i want to ask about character slots in the campaign, will we be able to get / buy more upon set4 release or at az2 release ?

fabriazp
03-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Please ask this:

Hex Level Up (their partner for LA) closed their server in latam region and they migrate their accounts into NA/EU server. So, since there is a influx of "new" players that speak another languajes ...

*Will be there any support in-real-time in spanish and/or portugues? (like noble or CM, even when shawn is the best)

*With the release of set 5.. will the actual gems rotate out? or will be the new ones be added to the current list? any dualshard gem in plans?

*Any program like MPRs? Something that gives you AA cards for the games played instead of games won. I think this will motivate ppl to go and play constructed even if they dont win.

Like:
5 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA TIME RIPPLE
15 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA CHLOROPYLLA
25 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA MARTYR
50 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA KILLIPEDE

So a player that played 50 tournaments will obtain:
10 TIME RIPPLE
3 CHLOROPYLLA
2 MARTYR
1 KILLIPEDE

And cycle the AA every 3 months. It will motivate ppl to play constructed and also will give HEXENT money since tourney entry sinks the platinum in player accounts.

wolzarg
03-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Please ask this:

Hex Level Up (their partner for LA) closed their server in latam region and they migrate their accounts into NA/EU server. So, since there is a influx of "new" players that speak another languajes ...

*Will be there any support in-real-time in spanish and/or portugues? (like noble or CM, even when shawn is the best)

*With the release of set 5.. will the actual gems rotate out? or will be the new ones be added to the current list? any dualshard gem in plans?

*Any program like MPRs? Something that gives you AA cards for the games played instead of games won. I think this will motivate ppl to go and play constructed even if they dont win.

Like:
5 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA TIME RIPPLE
15 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA CHLOROPYLLA
25 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA MARTYR
50 Participation in constructed tournament: 1 AA KILLIPEDE

So a player that played 50 tournaments will obtain:
10 TIME RIPPLE
3 CHLOROPYLLA
2 MARTYR
1 KILLIPEDE

And cycle the AA every 3 months. It will motivate ppl to play constructed and also will give HEXENT money since tourney entry sinks the platinum in player accounts.
Wait so all LA accounts are just getting merged in doesn't that mean we are going to get a massive influx of discounted plat in our garden?

MugenMusou
03-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Any update on iPad version as I thought it was also one of Kickstarter stretch goal to specifically hire dedicated mobile development team.

Voormas
03-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Ask him how he's going; seen any good movies lately? visited any cool places? how has life been treating him?

Deathlock
03-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Are there any plans on regular (may be weekly) real-money tournaments?

..like there were ones organized by ESL. Personally, I'd like to see weekly tournaments even with a tiny ammount of cash in prizes. Something like 50$ for the first place, 20$ for the second, and 10$ for the third would be just awesome. It would stimulate buying activity, tournament activity and would certainly help to grow the playerbase, because it's a totally different feeling to win real cash then to win some digital stuff.

Do you consider implementing of any of community-suggested changes to the game mechanics (especially, mulligan rules), or you think HEX is perfect in it's current state?

Are there plans to include graphics settings options, so that the game could run smoothly on slow computers?

Please, guys, I find these questions very important. Thanks :)

plaguedealer
03-06-2016, 10:25 PM
Is strongholds and the ranger class slated to be the next major update after set 4?

Amsterdam
03-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Loved the International, very well organised and a great advertisement for the game and the community. But the number of people that were watching the matches, especially new people, was a bit underwhelming to me (why not a featured stream on Twitch front page?). Does Cory feel they are properly leveraging events like the International or their high Metacritic score? What plans are there to bring a lot more new blood into the game?

Refugee
03-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Let's say a player wanted to spend $1000 on Hex each year. What would be the best way for the player to help the game with that $1000? Would it just be to buy platinum? Sponsor tournaments? Slowly dole out welcome gifts to new players? Buy items on the secondary market, sell them at auction and hoard platinum like a mini-chark to take platinum out of the economy? How would you recommend a player spend $1000 to best help Hex?

RCDv57
03-06-2016, 11:57 PM
No, isn't. I like it! And i missing it!
I draw a comic page every day dude, just click on my sig banner.

More importantly what does CJ think of a physical spin off game within the Hex universe?
With dice, miniatures, and everything. Actually forget the spin off game I just want the Mini's as a physical collectible. I would love me some of dat.

Cernz
03-07-2016, 12:52 AM
Id like to hear if we will get personal statistics about tournaments

tournaments played
plat spend/won
packs spend/won
etc.. etc...

AstaSyneri
03-07-2016, 02:27 AM
Just one question: How far along is raiding?

Cernz
03-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Just one question: How far along is raiding?

well, this i can tell you:

https://www.graymalin.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/F/a/Far_Far_Away_Balloons_s_4.jpg

Warrender
03-07-2016, 03:26 AM
Ask why the distinct lack of Princess Cory cosplay at the event?

incitfulmonk21
03-07-2016, 05:34 AM
Are there plans to include graphics settings options, so that the game could run smoothly on slow computers?

So much this. I can only handle one game a day in a dungeon because of the slowdown.

Is there any plans of doing lot's and lot's of quality of life improvments? Making a nice chat, trading, better AH, optimization, and graphics adjustments?

eimerian
03-07-2016, 05:55 AM
Question:
Will there ever be a point when CZE will officially stop caring about bugs in older cards?
For example: What if in 2 years from now a bug is discovered in set 1 cards or their arena equipment?
At that point set 1 boosters will no longer be sold and these bugged cards and equipment will just be traded back and forth among players. Video game developers stop fixing bugs after a game's life cycle has ended. So from an economic feasibility point of view, it would make sense for CZE to no longer care about these "legacy bugs".

Kami
03-07-2016, 06:06 AM

So much this. I can only handle one game a day in a dungeon because of the slowdown.

To be fair, the slowdown seems to mainly affect two groups of people: 1. Players running integrated GPU instead of discrete (i.e. Intel Graphics). 2. Players with low amount of ram - as the game is not yet optimized and has been seen to use up to 2GB of physical RAM at peak.

That's not to say any graphic options wouldn't be welcome though.

Deathlock
03-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Is there any plans of doing lot's and lot's of quality of life improvments? Making a nice chat, trading, better AH, optimization, and graphics adjustments?

+1, mate

To be fair, the slowdown seems to mainly affect two groups of people: 1. Players running integrated GPU instead of discrete (i.e. Intel Graphics). 2. Players with low amount of ram - as the game is not yet optimized and has been seen to use up to 2GB of physical RAM at peak.

I play HEX on a business-class laptop with no discrete GPU, and unfortunately have no other option currently. Also some of my friends refuse to jump into the game because of lags and no other reason.

Halsey
03-07-2016, 11:19 AM

That's not to say any graphic options wouldn't be welcome though.

To be fair, these are the people Hex NEEDS. The casual base is what allows a game to go wide and have huge sales and user numbers, ie. become wonderfully profitable. The hardcore gamers, and competitive crowd are the face of a gaming community, and draw people in, but not the group that supports them financially. You need the people who are playing on the $300 - $500 system they picked up at Walmart, this describe a huge majority of the computer users these days, I deal every day with people whose main, (sometimes only), criteria for value on PC hardware is cost, it can be a nightmare convincing some of them that no, they need a bit more RAM or a better CPU for their needed business programs, they are not dropping a few hundred more on a graphics card for a game to play casually. The vast majority of those budget systems are integrated graphics, and 4GB of Ram these days, which will almost certainly either not run Hex at all, or it will be a horrible experience at the moment.

To be clear, the systems I use on a regular basis handle Hex just fine, fixing this would make my work laptop run hex a bit better, but it already has discrete graphics, and it's playable, though slow enough in PvE that I'm more likely to wait until I'm sitting at my home desktop. My desktop, well not a dedicated gaming rig is solid, and has no issues running Hex that I've noticed at all, though I have seen Hex grab more than 2GB of RAM (not an issue on my end but certainly would be for some). To be clear though the only thing it needs to be on par with most top end gaming rigs is a better graphics card, I'm running a GTX 770 with 2GB, which I stuck in there as a 'decent' card because I do like to play games and understand the value brought by decent hardware, at the time it was good, not top end, now it's fairly mediocre. Stuck in a system designed with running 2 or 3 VMs at once without slowing down noticeably, it runs Hex without straining, as long as I'm not running a multiple machine virtual network at the same time. However for what it does, it puts a whole lot more stress on the CPU, RAM, and Graphics systems than it should need to. Hex doesn't seem to me to put noticeable stress on either the network or storage systems, but honestly whats common these days is so far beyond what's needed they'd almost have to actively try to over use those.

Meh, long ramble to basically say, Hex needs these low resource options if they want the huge user base they need to make this the game they seem to want. Not to support me, though I'd likely turn down some of the eye candy, and not to support their current dedicated core, but to draw in and keep new 'casual' users.

Fred
03-07-2016, 11:33 AM

That question has been asked in a relatively recent interview, and his answer is that yes, he does want to get more novels out, but Hex Entertainment doesn't have the budget at the moment to commission an author. He prefers to focus all the energy and money on getting PvE new sets ready. Once the machine is oiled up and chugging along, we can expect to see the novels.

Fred
03-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Question for Cory: You keep mentioning how great the community around Hex is (and I totally agree) and how important it is to you to remain close to that community since it brings so much into the game. However, every now and again, that same community goes wild in the forums over a specific topic that is important to them, and such threads are often not even acknowledged by anyone from Hex. Is there a specific strategic reason to not even have Phenteo post something like "We are aware of this issue and are discussing it internally", or are there legal/contractual obligations preventing you from even mentioning certain issues?

Some such topics that come to mind are the exchange rate issue (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=47975), the nerf to the Black Tiger/Dream Squirrel (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=46791&page=30&p=539901#post539901) (not the name change, but the actual nerf) and the Gameforge terms of service and the lack of any Hex specific rules document (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=46547&page=12&p=537869#post537869).

Yoss
03-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Q: Would HXE be willing to maintain an official technology/features Road Map to let us all know what's done and what's coming in the future?

(Also, huge +1 to making Hex run well on $500 laptops, via lower video settings.)

fido_one
03-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Can you give us any insight to Hex's short term and long term advertising and marketing strategy? Did you anticipate the amount of press coverage at this point in time? Are there any major marketing pushes in the near future you can flag for us, maybe a big push that the community can rally behind?

Voormas
03-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Ask him if he's looking forward to the HTC Vive / Occulus / VR in general and if he has any experiences with it from the bad old days

sukebe
03-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Ask him if he's looking forward to the HTC Vive / Occulus / VR in general and if he has any experiences with it from the bad old days

A related question, do they think things like the Microsoft Holo Lens (poorly named as it is actually augmented reality) will be worth looking into for Hex's future?

I am thinking it is far to early for this to be considered but I can't deny how cool it would be for me to sit at my table and have it change to the animated play board with my cards floating in front of me :-)

RCDv57
03-08-2016, 12:06 AM
A related question, do they think things like the Microsoft Holo Lens (poorly named as it is actually augmented reality) will be worth looking into for Hex's future?

I am thinking it is far to early for this to be considered but I can't deny how cool it would be for me to sit at my table and have it change to the animated play board with my cards floating in front of me :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfqNH3FoGi0

sukebe
03-08-2016, 12:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfqNH3FoGi0

lol, pretty much this yes, except I would hope there would fewer dramatic pauses...

wolzarg
03-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Dream on
I cast.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................... EXTINCTION!

RCDv57
03-08-2016, 04:39 AM
Dream on
I cast.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................... EXTINCTION!

You were supposed to say Sliver of the Immortal spear.
Then I would say "Impossible! No one has ever been able to pull that off"

wolzarg
03-08-2016, 05:12 AM
You were supposed to say Sliver of the Immortal spear.
Then I would say "Impossible! No one has ever been able to pull that off"
I know people who just randomly putt exodia parts in good decks and some times got a autowin it was the stupidest thing ever and i hate it. Basically what the character did in the series i guess.

GobBluth
03-08-2016, 05:36 AM

+1 I run Hex on my surface Pro and it barely handles it with no other programs open. Would love a low quality setting, or the ability to turn off animations like the game board.

Cernz
03-08-2016, 05:41 AM
+1 on quality options!!!

Drake6k
03-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Loved the International, very well organised and a great advertisement for the game and the community. But the number of people that were watching the matches, especially new people, was a bit underwhelming to me (why not a featured stream on Twitch front page?).
I missed the stream because I didn't know when it was. It is my fault, but yeah :\

Fred
03-08-2016, 10:09 AM
lol, pretty much this yes, except I would hope there would fewer dramatic pauses...

What do you mean "fewer"? I think you meant "more", right? It needs more dramatic awkwardness.

dylannorthrup
03-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Q: Can you briefly address the currency conversion issue between buying plat with US Dollars and buying plat with Euro?

This is something he mentioned to me at the 100k when I asked, but I think a lot of folks on the forums would like it if he addressed this directly. And his answer to me was < 5 minutes, so it shouldn't take too much out of the podcast.

Tazelbain
03-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Is time a flat circle or 4-sided cube?

Timlagor
03-08-2016, 11:06 AM
What's the % chance of getting a primal pack?

hex_colin
03-08-2016, 11:11 AM
What's the % chance of getting a primal pack?

2%

Timlagor
03-08-2016, 11:15 AM
2%

I was under the impression that hadn't been said officially but I guess you'd know.
Thanks.

Halcyonn
03-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Q: Is Hex considering the possibility of introducing other constructed formats as competitive tournaments? The main example here would be a Rock League style queue (though other formats with varying effective deck price ceilings would be welcome I would think). Another example would be Eternal vs Standard format. The drawback, of course, to having formats of this type is that all queues would fire more slowly, and the Hex community needs to be large enough to sustain additional queues, however perhaps something like scheduled Rock or Eternal could be a thing? I feel pretty strongly that lower tier, low risk/reward constructed tournaments would be good for Hex as an entry point for new players and also to increase the value of commons / uncommons. Might we see this at a point in the future when Hex can support it?

Q: Will it be possible to maintain multiple deck slots per PvE character? I assume this is not available currently because a character is implemented in the code in the same way as a deck, a reasonable choice to start with, but it would be nice to be able to save multiple decks per character.

Q: Will we see more exciting challenges like the Swarm of Piranhas / Army of Myth encounters in PvE?

Q: Currently, AZ1 packs are farmed by making new characters over and over. Presumably this will be less and less viable as more AZs are released. Is this an intentional choice to increase the value of PvE cards dropped later in the campaign? Will there be other mechanics that will help PvE content sustain value? Any specifics?

Q: What are the goals for crafting? What precautions will be taken to ensure that it does not negatively impact the player economy?

Q: Will we ever be able to see economic data for our cards from the card manager (averaged over the last couple days perhaps)? It would be nice to be able to put cards on the AH from the card manager simply by right clicking, viewing the current listings, and choosing a price / starting bid.

Q: Spectator mode?

Voormas
03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Ask him how often he listens to the sort of music he was into back in Highschool + does it still hold up musically, or is it more the feeling of connection to a time and place?

Kamino72
03-09-2016, 08:06 AM
One question : when HexEnt will fix the AH's terrible user experience ?

Fred
03-09-2016, 09:35 AM
I was under the impression that hadn't been said officially but I guess you'd know.
Thanks.

Keep in mind that while he is usually well informed, Colin is not an official source, and HXE are not bound by anything he says.

Saeijou
03-09-2016, 10:24 AM
will mercenaries com with AZ2? or are they for the endgame and specific lvl 30 dungeons?

nicosharp
03-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Keep in mind that while he is usually well informed, Colin is not an official source, and HXE are not bound by anything he says.

It can change at anytime, but people that buy mass packs from the store now can roughly confirm that 2% is the average. I'd risk to say it's a bit higher than that now, but maybe kismet has been on the side of many people reporting their luck.

pjvedder
03-09-2016, 10:59 AM
I'd love to hear Cory talk more about double backs, achievements, foils, etc. I know he mentioned them briefly during the PC Gamer interview, but I'm interested to see if any more progress has been made and what he thinks the double backs and achievement system will now be like (assuming it's different from the initial concept). Also, a while back I believe someone from HXE said stats weren't going to be applied retroactively, however has that changed now that a year plus has passed? Regardless of what the new DB system would be, are we going to have to start from scratch when it's implemented?

ThomasHunter
03-09-2016, 11:35 AM
It can change at anytime, but people that buy mass packs from the store now can roughly confirm that 2% is the average. I'd risk to say it's a bit higher than that now, but maybe kismet has been on the side of many people reporting their luck.

Sadly, I am not included in this "windfall". It's been months since I have proc'd a Primal! So so so so sad. :(

Timlagor
03-10-2016, 10:06 AM

This annoys me.
They seem to want to think of primal packs as a nice bonus you sometimes get but even at 20% they can easily represent 20% (40p) of what you are buying! that's not a small thing and shouldn't be obfuscated like this. If it's variable without notice that's even worse.

GobBluth
03-10-2016, 10:11 AM
I'm interested in knowing what UI changes are coming in the near future. Auction House, Deck managers (specifically PVE decks), chat.

Also an in match UI change I want is during blocking. I'd like it if when a troop is assigned a blocker the two troops pair up and both move to one side of the board so that the troops that are left unblocked are easier to identify. Having all the lines cross is confusing with a lot of troops. This would also help when multiples of a troop bunch up (i.e. spiders) and it is hard to click on all of them.

hex_colin
03-10-2016, 10:51 AM
This annoys me.
They seem to want to think of primal packs as a nice bonus you sometimes get but even at 20% they can easily represent 20% (40p) of what you are buying! that's not a small thing and shouldn't be obfuscated like this. If it's variable without notice that's even worse.

It's not variable.

fido_one
03-10-2016, 12:03 PM
It's not variable.

Yeah, if anyone feels they are getting 3 or 4 percent or whatever on primal spawns, I'll be one of the schmucks to raise my hand and offset that with a close to 0% spawn with Primal AoM to balance the percentage back to 2.

Thoom
03-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Ask why the Succubus in Primal Dawn isn't the Womancubus, and if we can get that changed before launch. :)

Timlagor
03-11-2016, 06:39 PM
Ok thanks Colin. I'm going to drop that now :-)

Another question that will appeal to all streamers: is there any prospect of a 'don't give me byes' option? [for drafts etc.]

People streaming are often sad to get a bye and at least some portion of other players also would much rather play than wait but some other portion of players are certainly glad to get a bye with the guaranteed packs and don't mind watching some netflix or something while they wait.
No idea how hard to implement this would be but I wouldn't think it would be terribly big and it could be stuck quietly in the options with the default being that you get byes so no one really loses out by not knowing about it and there'd be no need for it to be particularly publicised (though obviously putting it in the patch notes would be a good idea)

GobBluth
03-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Just wanted to say I'm very excited for this interview! Thank you Cory for doing it, and with the right people makes it that much better.

shocker455
03-14-2016, 11:35 AM
Did the interview happen? I cant seem to find it up anywhere

Tazelbain
03-14-2016, 11:51 AM
It did. They were hyping it on fiveshards stream on Saturday. It is suppose to have new info in it. I doubt you will miss it when they post it.

Eetabee
03-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Zubrin! (Or anyone at Fiveshards) I have a two hour drive home tomorrow starting at noon pst. It would be the best if the podcast was up by then! Thanks for putting these podcasts together, I for one really enjoy them.

Zubrin
03-14-2016, 08:38 PM
The podcast is now live:

Thanks to Elysion for doing the editing.

http://2turnsahead.com/episode-100-teatime-with-cory/

Largashbur
03-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Zubrin, any chance of a transcript? I'd at least like to read a summary about all new information. Too bad I can't hear :/

Cernz
03-15-2016, 12:20 AM
i did hear the first 15-20 minutes during my drive to work ;) ... multiple ladders / ranks / rewards sounds fine with me (casual, etc..)

+1 for a transcript too btw :D

Vorsa
03-15-2016, 12:43 AM
Two hours of Cory! Don't have time for all of it before work, but something to look forward to in work. :)

Timlagor
03-15-2016, 04:38 AM
Is there a way to download this for listening offline?

I'd expect a "podast" to be downloadable but can't see how to do so (short of using some plugin) and can't quite believe I'm not missing something obvious.

chromus
03-15-2016, 05:26 AM
Thanks guys for taking the time, some good info in there! :)

dylannorthrup
03-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Is there a way to download this for listening offline?

I'd expect a "podast" to be downloadable but can't see how to do so (short of using some plugin) and can't quite believe I'm not missing something obvious.

On the player, there's a hidden element that would allow for downloading of the podcast from the S3 bucket it's in. The link points to https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/2tapodcasts/podcasts/2TA_Episode_100.mp3 which looks like the proper MP3 at first glance.

Looking a the Podcast RSS feed, that's also the URL the podcast is downloading from, so you should be good to use that for your downloading needs.

AstaSyneri
03-15-2016, 08:16 AM
2 hours? Any chance of a transcript? At least the key points?

Kami
03-15-2016, 08:56 AM
2 hours? Any chance of a transcript? At least the key points?

Yes, please. Text is much faster to review. :stormcloud:

Zubrin
03-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Dylan has the right direct link and feel free to use that. I need to fix something on the website so it starts showing the direct download link again.

Generally, I do not have the time or resources to do transcripts, especially this one as it would take between 8-16 hours to transcribe. I am also in the middle of traveling at the moment, but that is not the primary issue. People will usually post the highlights in threads likes these.

Salverus
03-15-2016, 09:32 AM
He said there will be no test server for set 4 launch,
they are discussing the issues about low end pc's, but there is nothing for them in the pipeline right now,
eventually they want to do 3 pvp sets, 3 pve updates and 3 big tournaments a year, well, eventually he actually wanted to be something to happen every single weekend,
and there was a bit more that i forgot already.

Also he mentioned that in future of these big tournaments, half the players come from top ladder positions and other half from the qualifiers.

Tazelbain
03-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Sounds like people wanting to dodge the ladder as going have a difficult time as the ladder will be connected to all competitive play.

Elwinz
03-15-2016, 11:06 AM
INteresting thing: SET 5 rotation of gems confirmed.

theghost32
03-15-2016, 11:30 AM
not all gems just some gems

Zophie
03-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Hex VR support confirmed possibility in distant future! :D

GobBluth
03-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Awesome job guys, and thanks again to Cory for taking the time.

My reactions:

1. Spellshield is without a doubt the most powerful gem. The argument that direct damage is the most powerful because Azurecannon is built around it is trumped by the fact that Koma's (sorry Havoc, he played Reese instead of Sight so he gets the credit :P) is built around spellshield. #FlyingSpellshield8/8

2. I know Cory said quality settings aren't a high priority and may be difficult to implement but it is very important to me and to a lot of other players. I would be so much more likely/excited to play PvE if my laptop didn't feel like it was on the surface of the sun while playing. I get that you guys love the game board animations and bells and whistles but to me as a player I would much rather have the game run smoothly than have the extra background stuff.

3. Was the question of saving decks in PVE answered?

4. Thanks to all the Hex employees that work so hard to make the game. I know we complain about lots of things but for the most part it comes from a place of passion/love for the game and desire to see it be as great as possible.

hex_colin
03-15-2016, 03:23 PM

It was in the build we played with at the Invitational. So, no guarantees it makes the next patch, but it's looking good. :)

incitfulmonk21
03-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Awesome job guys, and thanks again to Cory for taking the time.

2. I know Cory said quality settings aren't a high priority and may be difficult to implement but it is very important to me and to a lot of other players. I would be so much more likely/excited to play PvE if my laptop didn't feel like it was on the surface of the sun while playing. I get that you guys love the game board animations and bells and whistles but to me as a player I would much rather have the game run smoothly than have the extra background stuff.

Yeah I was really dissapointed that it is not really a priority. I guess I won't be playing PvE for a long long while :(.

fido_one
03-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Hex VR support confirmed possibility in distant future! :D

Seriously? That would be awesome! I've been researching unity dev in VR (my startup is in VR/AR, but not in coding) and it doesn't seem as large as leap as I had originally thought when I started the research. I'd hope that if they do dip into that waters, they can go deep into their development in it, even if it sides more on R&D than a feature in the client.

fido_one
03-15-2016, 04:39 PM

I have not had the time to listen to the podcast yet, but this could self-sort when they get the tablet clients out, depending on how their unity workflow is. They'll have to cut up graphical prowess to deliver for tablets and it may not be a giant leap to transfer the muted oomph setting back to the PC client, though it wouldn't mean the same sort of granularity one has for Witcher 3 or what-have-you. That's a wild guess though, my insight into Unity workflows is layman and is only at the very surface of what it can do.

GobBluth
03-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Yeah I was really dissapointed that it is not really a priority. I guess I won't be playing PvE for a long long while :(.

Yea, I don't want to belabor the point. But right now I do not play PVE at all because of how Hex runs on my computer (Suface Pro with i7 and 8gb Ram). If they don't think this is a big deal to a lot of players then they are just wrong.

ManofPeace
03-15-2016, 05:16 PM

Chris Woods answered it and said it was on the Set 4 docket as done (unless something goes wrong). The specifics of exactly how many we can save is unclear.

Mejis
03-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Yea, I don't want to belabor the point. But right now I do not play PVE at all because of how Hex runs on my computer (Suface Pro with i7 and 8gb Ram). If they don't think this is a big deal to a lot of players then they are just wrong.

I wonder if a temp solution would be a checkbox for "always use the PvP game board".
I'm lucky enough to have just built a hi-end PC for myself, so this isn't an issue for me, but on my old laptop I know the biggest hog seemed to be the new PvE boards (e.g. sister midnight battle runs just fine).

From a coding point of view, anyone know if this is something hard to implement? Would people see this as a good temp solution, or from a design/lore/aesthetics point of view do you think the devs wouldn't want this?

fido_one
03-15-2016, 07:50 PM
I wonder if a temp solution would be a checkbox for "always use the PvP game board".
I'm lucky enough to have just built a hi-end PC for myself, so this isn't an issue for me, but on my old laptop I know the biggest hog seemed to be the new PvE boards (e.g. sister midnight battle runs just fine).

From a coding point of view, anyone know if this is something hard to implement? Would people see this as a good temp solution, or from a design/lore/aesthetics point of view do you think the devs wouldn't want this?

I couldn't listen to the full podcast, only half of it, but I think I heard Cory go over this, and it wasn't a 'we're fine' as much as it was 'we have to focus on some other things right now.' I don't think he was taking it off the table or dismissing it as much as he was saying AZ2 and getting good set rotations had to take priority and I can see that.

I'm assuming ManofPeace is using a gen1 Surface Pro which could be considered by some to be graphically out of date. Personally I think a gen1 SP should play a game like Hex without issue, but I'm not grinding away at HexEnt's offices trying to upend everything anyone knows about TCGs.

Still: One of the few things I don't think would take a lot of work (though a bit of internal discussion) is a good 'minimum requirement' spec for Hex. I think both the veteran and new community should have that posted somewhere, like on the download page.

I for one won't buy a laptop knowing it won't run Hex full speed and I'd rather not find out if that laptop can run Hex smoothly after I use it for the first time. I think min and recommended CPU/GPU/RAM specs is an immediate positive effect on the matter, albeit not a solution.

ossuary
03-16-2016, 07:38 AM
Most of the reason laptops won't run Hex well is that they don't tend to have good graphics cards. Many of the major brands ONLY have onboard graphics chips that share with the system RAM instead of having dedicated memory to work with. As long as the laptop has a real graphics card in it, and you modify the settings to force the laptop to use the dedicated card instead of the onboard chip when you're running the game, it works fine.

My laptop, for example, only has a GeForce GTX 675 in it (3 full generations behind current graphics cards), but it runs the game with no problem or slowdown at all.

Elwinz
03-16-2016, 07:57 AM
Yeah campaign is demanding on both ram and graphics, so mostly game crashes to lack of RAM i think

Salverus
03-16-2016, 08:11 AM

Exactly, a temporarily solution to play the campaign at all would be fine.
Even a black background and all card art disabled and such would be fine for me. As long as i can play in any form.
Just watching how other people can have fun is no fun :(

wolzarg
03-16-2016, 08:43 AM
What happens if you kill the art assets in the game files?

Yoss
03-16-2016, 12:56 PM

This would work great as a temporary fix. The PvP board works well enough, at least for me.

Timlagor
03-16-2016, 05:11 PM
I had a bug once (in arena) where the background didn't load so I was only seeing the cards and champs with a totally black background. Suddenly the game ran like greased lightning and I left it running for at least 48 hours so it wouldn't revert. I had a pretty old graphics card at that point but I thought it wasn't really affecting game speed cos the youtube videos I checked it against were also pretty slow (possibly due to players being slow). I don't have a problem now but certainly sympathise with those who do.

I find it surprising that an option to turn off the particle effects would be any kind of difficult to implement but I despair when I hear about their efforts to put more in and make things prettier.

While we're at it can we cut the coin drop animation? I really don't need to waste that much time looking at the same thing every game (if it's loading I'd rather have an honest load-screen so at least I know there's a reason).

Mejis
03-16-2016, 06:49 PM
I had a bug once (in arena) where the background didn't load so I was only seeing the cards and champs with a totally black background. Suddenly the game ran like greased lightning and I left it running for at least 48 hours so it wouldn't revert. I had a pretty old graphics card at that point but I thought it wasn't really affecting game speed cos the youtube videos I checked it against were also pretty slow (possibly due to players being slow). I don't have a problem now but certainly sympathise with those who do.

I find it surprising that an option to turn off the particle effects would be any kind of difficult to implement but I despair when I hear about their efforts to put more in and make things prettier.

While we're at it can we cut the coin drop animation? I really don't need to waste that much time looking at the same thing every game (if it's loading I'd rather have an honest load-screen so at least I know there's a reason).

The coin is indeed masking loading (has been confirmed before)

aatttt
03-17-2016, 04:49 AM
just implement static backgrounds! cant be that hard to program...

this is a serious issue!

Renquist
03-17-2016, 05:07 AM
I can't wait for some of the gem rotations.

I'm not sure if it's the spellshield and/or dd gem or rootfather itself, however the combination seems really oppressive.

hex_colin
03-17-2016, 05:12 AM
just implement static backgrounds! cant be that hard to program...

this is a serious issue!

It's not that it's necessary difficulty. It takes time that no one has at the moment. And, more importantly, it's a fundamental philosophical and design decision about the game. The devs want a beautiful game with vibrant art,

Metronomy
03-17-2016, 05:18 AM
It is time consuming. But we need it..especialy if they want to have more tournaments like the invitational. For me as a competetively engaging constructed player I can tell you that there have been many instances were I wished there was a rulebook. Simply for the reason to know if something is a bug or intended behaviour.

edit: somehow I was under the impression this discussion was about a comprehensive rule book. My bad...as to the aspect of system requirements. Not sure about all that. The game will supposedly be around for a long time and the system requirements should not change much. So under that aspect I dont think it is a big issue. PVE seems to have issues though..especialy with ram. I gues you would need to have an extensive survey on how many players have tech problems in order to decide how big the problem realy is.

incitfulmonk21
03-17-2016, 05:22 AM
It's not that it's necessary difficulty. It takes time that no one has at the moment. And, more importantly, it's a fundamental philosophical and design decision about the game. The devs want a beautiful game with vibrant art,

So they would rather have a beautiful game than a playable one? I seriously doubt that. While we may not be the majority of players we should be a large enough group that they would want to take a few days/weeks/months to insure we and future players like us can actually play the game. All these great things set 4, mercs, keeps are pointless to the player base that can't even make it through a game.

HXE has decided that all the bells and whistles are more important then fans who can't afford a computer that can handle it all and that is sad. We arent asking they tone down all the cool things. We just ask they give us the option to play the game we love.

ossuary
03-17-2016, 05:59 AM
It's disingenuous to suggest they want an unplayable game. The graphics requirements of the game are NOT that high. Only low end systems with no dedicated graphics card have any real problem running it. All PC games have system requirements. People who don't meet those requirements are in no position to blame the company for their failure to meet them. CZE is already doing what they can to optimize the footprint of the client (there is another round of memory improvements in the works, possibly even in the next patch), but there is still always going to be a minimum level of specs required. If you're below them, you have to decide whether or not you can live with that, or if you need to update your system.

incitfulmonk21
03-17-2016, 06:22 AM
I never said they wanted an unplayable game. I in fact said we were a small minority who cant play.

Hex uses a rediculous amount of ram and it has been mentioned many times on these forums. This causes it to run signifigantly slower then it should. The game isnt optimized and that is the core problem but that also takes quite a bit of work to fix. Hex has never posted min specs so it is certainly reasonable to put the blame on them. You are however, very right for those of us who have no problem with far more graphically intensive games have to decide if we want to buy a new computer to play hex or not. It certainly makes sense though to ask they allow us to disable ram hogs first though before buying a new computer.

Aradon
03-17-2016, 06:49 AM
To be fair, this was originally pitched with ridiculously low requirements, if I recall correctly. There's no reason a simple TCG shouldn't be low minimum requirements, and it's standard fare for a triple-A game to have graphic settings options. I'm not impacted at all by this issue, but I can definitely sympathize with the people who are literally unable to play the most anticipated content released so far, due to an issue which, according to Colin is an aesthetic choice and not intended to be addressed at all.

I can understand not prioritizing it at the top issue right now, but it really ought to be at least a priority to get in the next possible patch. Honestly, it's mostly just Colin's reply that strikes me as galling, that their "fundamental philosophical and design decision about the game" could be more important than the fact that lots of people using laptops can't play the game.

And honestly, they want to get this on tablets, right? They're going to *have* to address processing power and graphics capability for that goal. Ignoring it now is just going to do people a disservice in the intervening time until they get around to tablet and go, "Oh. Yeah. This isn't playable. We'll have to fix this now."

aatttt
03-17-2016, 08:46 AM
it its unplayable on a surface 3 pro (with not the lowest specs) rigth now. half year ago i could play it fine there.

we are not talking about a 5 year old machine.

and the fact that it will slow down my laptop (3 years old or something) (slow down, not unplayable) on one of the backgrounds is just laughable because its a stupid background... it should run on a ten year old machine...

fido_one
03-17-2016, 09:05 AM
it its unplayable on a surface 3 pro (with not the lowest specs) rigth now. half year ago i could play it fine there.

we are not talking about a 5 year old machine.

and the fact that it will slow down my laptop (3 years old or something) (slow down, not unplayable) on one of the backgrounds is just laughable because its a stupid background... it should run on a ten year old machine...

If it isn't playable / too-slow on a SP3 than it is worse than I thought. I was basing my thoughts of when I had a SP3 and it ran fine, and even though people have been pointing it out, I didn't realize the PvE expansion added so much too it.

The issue is, and I'm rusty in this area these days, but if a SP3 can't run it, my guess is only Skylake integrated GPUs could run it, and those or their successors won't be in the majority for at least another 2 or 3 years. A lot of game development is done knowing the power curve of graphical prowess but having Hex in a 'released' state and not having it run on a majority of laptops for 2 to 3 years is a much bigger issue than I thought.

I am making the assumption that Skylake integrated GPUs (quick search: HD530 or above) can run the game smoothly. Right? If not, you're talking the game will only run smoothly on discrete GPUs and that would be rather insane. I love the look and feel of Hex, it feels great, but I don't expect it to run in the same pack of requirements of games like Witcher 3 or Mass Effect.

Elwinz
03-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Makes me curious to try hex on my 7years old lap ;p I think it was running fine in alpha

GobBluth
03-17-2016, 10:09 AM

I'm stunned this is how the devs think. This is an online TCG, not some high level shooter where you need every frame you can get. It shouldn't be as graphics intensive as they have made it. From what people are saying, the main reason the game runs like it does it because of the animated backgrounds. I get that they want it to look cool (and it does) but given a choice between rippling water or smooth gameplay, I choose gameplay every single time. Its honestly kind of disheartening that they would hold their desire for the level of graphics they want over the desire of a lot of players just to play the game.

madar
03-17-2016, 11:52 AM
The backgrounds and the graphic is all OK and very nice, and there is no problem with it. There is some optimization problem which should be solved. Is not some extreme graphic which shouldn't run on any computer. The devs are right, the way is not to turn off the design, but made it run on less resource. Hopefully sooner than later.

Back to the original topic!
Cory said something about the AH, to change it to the bid\ask system. Does he said they working on it? I can't listen the whole 2 hours again, and i don't remember where it was...

hex_colin
03-17-2016, 11:56 AM
Back to the original topic!
Cory said something about the AH, to change it to the bid\ask system. Does he said they working on it? I can't listen the whole 2 hours again, and i don't remember where it was...

I'd expect that it's something they want to do, but likely don't have the resources to do right now. Once they start to get ahead in content (Sets and AZs) I'd expect that the quality of life stuff will start to take priority again. Of course, they could always surprise us and it'll just appear some day (hello PVE deck saving with Set 3 - hopefully!).

Salverus
03-17-2016, 12:00 PM
bid/ask is just long term eventual goal, they havent started with it yet.
But i think this change would actually decrease the possibilities for f2p players, so no rush ^_^

Yoss
03-17-2016, 12:43 PM
If it isn't playable / too-slow on a SP3 than it is worse than I thought. I was basing my thoughts of when I had a SP3 and it ran fine, and even though people have been pointing it out, I didn't realize the PvE expansion added so much too it.

The issue is, and I'm rusty in this area these days, but if a SP3 can't run it, my guess is only Skylake integrated GPUs could run it, and those or their successors won't be in the majority for at least another 2 or 3 years. A lot of game development is done knowing the power curve of graphical prowess but having Hex in a 'released' state and not having it run on a majority of laptops for 2 to 3 years is a much bigger issue than I thought.

I am making the assumption that Skylake integrated GPUs (quick search: HD530 or above) can run the game smoothly. Right? If not, you're talking the game will only run smoothly on discrete GPUs and that would be rather insane. I love the look and feel of Hex, it feels great, but I don't expect it to run in the same pack of requirements of games like Witcher 3 or Mass Effect.

To bold text: that's pretty much what we have right now. And yes, it's insane. Static background solves the problem trivially.

Yoss
03-17-2016, 12:43 PM
bid/ask is just long term eventual goal, they havent started with it yet.
But i think this change would actually decrease the possibilities for f2p players, so no rush ^_^

Care to explain your thinking on this?

plaguedealer
03-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Probably anything that makes it easier to sell commons will make the price of commons drop. A bid ask system like guild wars 2 would make me extremely happy because of the sheer convenienve and ease of use.

x78089
03-17-2016, 12:56 PM

I would imagine he is implying that prices will drop. Which initially sounds good to F2P players, except that without an inefficient resale market the F2P players never get a chance to earn money by which they can continue to proceed as F2P players. Its a paradox that must exist to give them room to maneuver. If our economy went the way of MTGO and got hyper efficient the cards become worthless really quickly and you have no choice but to put money into booster purchases.

Tazelbain
03-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Markets inefficiencies don't create value. They create waste.

ossuary
03-17-2016, 01:24 PM

That's only true in a game system that has ONLY for-pay resources (like MTGO). Hex is different because it has items that can ONLY be acquired naturally by investing time. Introducing a bid/ask system does not impact this at all, as putting in the time and grinding the free PVE content will still be the only way to acquire those items naturally (including gold), and paying players who do not have the time or are not willing to put forth the effort will still pay platinum for these items.

The only group of people a bid/ask system really impacts is people (like me, actually) who make money on the auction house by buying cards when they are cheaper than normal, and selling them when they are higher than normal. Market players are affected somewhat by BAS, because being able to have open requests for specific prices helps to keep prices more stable over time instead of fluctuating wildly based on how many people have bothered to take the time to list an item for the ridiculous 48 hour period we currently have available. BAS limits, but does not eliminate, that fluctuation. Market players have to play longer trends instead of snagging items on short term windfalls, but it can still be done.

None of this impacts the F2P player, however, except to make it less of a hassle to list items. It prevents price gouging, but makes selling your items more convenient and pain free overall.

Wuggalix
03-17-2016, 01:47 PM
A Bid/Ask system would indeed make the market more liquid, and therefore the prices fluctuation will more than currently be the consequences of an actual shift in the Offer/Demand rate... Basically, the market will be more efficient at determining the right price for a given item, and there would be less period where a given item is missing from the market or only listed at 3 times it's usual price.

As for the effect this would have on the F2P players, I'm pretty sure that this will lower the average price of C/U cards, as well as making them always offered on the market at a decent price... So at the end of the day, those players would have access to more cards to toy with, and therefore have a better F2P experience.

dbug
03-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Game runs ok on my Surface 3 Pro. I dont play really on that device, but tried it this week and it was fine

Elwinz
03-17-2016, 02:29 PM
was that arena pvp or campaign? The problem is campaign

ossuary
03-17-2016, 02:58 PM
As for the effect this would have on the F2P players, I'm pretty sure that this will lower the average price of C/U cards, as well as making them always offered on the market at a decent price... So at the end of the day, those players would have access to more cards to toy with, and therefore have a better F2P experience.

That's a very good point as well. BAS ensures that F2P players can always acquire common and uncommon cards for a fair market price, rather than having to pay whatever the sharks can get away with charging due to low volume of trade. On the whole, they will probably benefit more than any other group of players from the implementation of this system, even though they may lose out on a small amount of potential revenue from listing low volume items themselves.

Yoss
03-18-2016, 08:03 AM
Game runs ok on my Surface 3 Pro. I dont play really on that device, but tried it this week and it was fine

Did your test include a dungeon run with the wavy grass background?

dbug
03-18-2016, 03:02 PM
I tested in the dream dungeon, so probably no grass, but it was about 25-40fps for my surface 3 pro (some midrange model, i5)

Yoss
03-18-2016, 08:07 PM
I tested in the dream dungeon, so probably no grass, but it was about 25-40fps for my surface 3 pro (some midrange model, i5)

Yeah, the dream dungeon doesn't count. You've gotta run something with the wavy grass to really know. Most of us can run all boards except that one just fine*.

* By "just fine" I mean no worse than Arena has always been for us. Which is still much slower than it ought to be.

jonsnow2000
03-19-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm not sure if this helps, but I bought a laptop at the end of 2014 with an integrated GPU and it runs Hex absolutely fine (yes, with all PVE backgrounds too). Unfortunately it is sold out on amazon germany where I bought it for 320 Euros, and I couldn't find the same model on amazon us. But here are the base components, so maybe you can find similar machines:

CPU: AMD A8 Quad Core, 2 GHz
GPU: Radeon R5 integrated, 512 MB Ram
Main Memory: 4 GB RAM
System: Win 8 upgraded to Win 10
Harddisk: 500 GB

2 pretty cool things in addition: The screen runs natively at 1366x768, but if I plug a HDMI cable in and connect it to my 1080p monitor, it actually runs that resolution with hardly any slowdown AND the fans are super silent, regardless if the system is idle or running a game.

So yeah, it's pretty much the best low-cost computer system I ever bought.

Timlagor
03-20-2016, 05:33 PM
The podcast was pretty vague about what was happening with AH and when. He said he'd like to make improvements like B/A which he thought most people wanted [personally I'd be delighted to see some fairly modest changes quickly] but there was no mention of a timeline. It's nice to know it's on the list at least I suppose.

I've communicated with a number of people who (like myself) have got their share of profit from AH bargains and/or gouging. Not one said they appreciated the AH system that makes this profitable.

Right now you have to know what a card is worth to sell it for a reasonable price and you also need to know what other people are offering them for on AH right now (the two have surprisingly little in common) ...then you have to go through the unacceptably slow process of listing your own (if you could do this from the buy tab that would save an enormous amount of time).

I would much rather be able to sell my cards with a minimal time investment and get a reasonable price even if it completely eliminated the ability to buy Chlorophilia for 10p and resell for 9kgp.

In this case the market inefficiency doesn't really create waste so much as move value from those who go to the AH and just buy to those who spend time there ...and people who spend time there mostly don't seem to appreciate it (it's always nice to get that 400p card for 73p in a sniping war ..it's just not that nice). I'm sure there are people out there who appreciate it but I don't think they are many and I don't think they should be catered to: this is not a pillar supporting PVE players as a whole.

madar
03-21-2016, 01:53 AM
Forgive me, but i feel no sympathy for those guys who buy all of the Wrathwood Master Moss for 1500 and putting back for 2000. "Keeping price stable" and "unacceptably slow process"... Please...

Sixlooter
03-21-2016, 05:51 AM
Forgive me, but i feel no sympathy for those guys who buy all of the Wrathwood Master Moss for 1500 and putting back for 2000. "Keeping price stable" and "unacceptably slow process"... Please...

/signed

Why is everyone trying to make some kind of business out of this? Go and focus your attention on the real stock market and come back and buy cards and packs with the money you earn there.

Tazelbain
03-21-2016, 07:53 AM
In this case the market inefficiency doesn't really create waste so much as move value from those who go to the AH and just buy to those who spend time there ...and people who spend time there mostly don't seem to appreciate it (it's always nice to get that 400p card for 73p in a sniping war ..it's just not that nice). I'm sure there are people out there who appreciate it but I don't think they are many and I don't think they should be catered to: this is not a pillar supporting PVE players as a whole.I think you have it backwards. These inefficient are hurting casual AH user not the hardcore AH. The hardcore flipper sees the inefficiencies and make sure they are on the winning side them. Some even use the inefficiencies to manipulate the market. The casual doesn't have knowledge or the experience to avoid them so they pay more to fill out a collection.

sukebe
03-21-2016, 12:21 PM
I think you have it backwards. These inefficient are hurting casual AH user not the hardcore AH. The hardcore flipper sees the inefficiencies and make sure they are on the winning side them. Some even use the inefficiencies to manipulate the market. The casual doesn't have knowledge or the experience to avoid them so they pay more to fill out a collection.

isn't that...exactly what he said?

Tazelbain
03-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Damn it! You're right.

Skirovik
03-22-2016, 01:34 AM
Is there a transcript of this podcast?

Salverus
03-22-2016, 02:32 AM
(it's always nice to get that 400p card for 73p in a sniping war ..it's just not that nice). I'm sure there are people out there who appreciate it but I don't think they are many and I don't think they should be catered to.

Point is that if 400p cards sometimes get sold for only 73p, there is always a chance for players without platinum to get the card too. Just like Uruunaz in the arena, there is a chance that you meet him, thats why people keep trying.
If you make it a stable 400, then that chance is gone, and whats the reason to visit the AH at all anymore if you cant afford it?

madar
03-22-2016, 03:52 AM
Point is that if 400p cards sometimes get sold for only 73p, there is always a chance for players without platinum to get the card too. Just like Uruunaz in the arena, there is a chance that you meet him, thats why people keep trying.
If you make it a stable 400, then that chance is gone, and whats the reason to visit the AH at all anymore if you cant afford it?

In theory yes. In practice ppl just buying cards and put back more expensive. Watching AH whole day, and buying out everything "cheap" (i mean on normal price). You have no chance to buy anything cheap, cos someone else either already bought out, or sniping for the bid.

Another example from today. Eternal Guardian. Not an extreme popular card with top meta.
http://hexprice.com/Card/Eternal%20Guardian

Overall median 400P, median since PVE came out 500P, last week trades, yesterday trades 500P. If you check the AH, you can see like 20 of them for 1000P. It's not selling for 1000P, except if some noob don't know the prices. It's like the yesterday example of the Wrathwood Master Moss.

The theory just don't work.

fido_one
03-22-2016, 06:18 AM
Is there a transcript of this podcast?

Normally there is, but one hasn't surfaced yet. At 2 hours at a time where we're in a bit of a lull as we wait for set 4, we may not see one.

I will donate a Windsigner to anyone who does a good transcript! Maybe even a pack or two if I can spare it.

Salverus
03-22-2016, 06:40 AM
Normally there is, but one hasn't surfaced yet. At 2 hours at a time where we're in a bit of a lull as we wait for set 4, we may not see one.

I will donate a Windsigner to anyone who does a good transcript! Maybe even a pack or two if I can spare it.
i will definitely do it for that reward, you want word by word for the 2 hours or a solid summary of all the essentials?

Warrender
03-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Word for word would be nice for those who might be hearing-impaired.

fido_one
03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
i will definitely do it for that reward, you want word by word for the 2 hours or a solid summary of all the essentials?

Please weigh my opinion on the same level as Warrender's, reward aside; I would prefer detailed bullet points.

Thanks Salverus! Anyone else want to throw into the pot?

So: Windisnger and 2 AoM packs; only way not to get them is if you obviously put in a non-effort.

EDIT: Actually, screw what I prefer, do whatever you prefer Salverus, the output will probably be optimal wherever your highest comfort zone is on the matter.

Salverus
03-22-2016, 08:02 AM
Z: Greetings, and welcome to episode 100, which we are calling "Teatime with Cory". We are recording on March 11th at 9 pm. I am Michael Allen, also known as Zubrin and with me is Nikolas Podrasky, also known as PentaChills. Penta, what is your favourite episode from the last 49 that we recorded?
P: Episode 63
Z: Why that one?
P: It had a really classy joke in the middle.
Z: I see. Tonight we will continue why we will now serve as a tradition of chime of careo about all things HEX including development, organised play, future plans and anything that is partially appropriate that we have not had a chance to talk about in the last 50 weeks or so. It may be 52 and a couple we missed. Many of the questions we have tonight are provided by listeners or forum members, so we try to provide those
solid unique questions, although there are several individuals who asked very similar questions and so we will just ask those without proper credit. So with us tonight is the famous... I almost said infamous, which is what i did last time, because ne0 is in my head a little more than it should. And the very well known renown respected Cory Jones. Cory, welcome to the podcast.
C: Hi, thank you so much for having me back on. I really appreciate it.
Z: Thank you for making time for us.

If i do it like this, is it good for everonye? (this is the first 100 seconds). Only the bolded part i couldnt write what they were saying literally, because its difficult to hear, but it doesnt matter for the context.
(Z-Zubrin, P-Pentachills, C-Cory)

madar
03-22-2016, 08:08 AM
Good job Salverus, will be perfect, and thx for it! I wonder if will you cut the "you know"s, or keep them in :P

Warrender
03-22-2016, 08:24 AM
of chime of careo

I think what Zubrin was saying was of chiding Cory. Only person who can confirm is probably Zubrin himself, of course.

Zubrin
03-22-2016, 08:31 AM
I think what Zubrin was saying was of chiding Cory. Only person who can confirm is probably Zubrin himself, of course.

Zubrin doesn't even know what he is saying most of the time.

Edit: Okay, I listened to it. "Chatting with Cory" is the phrase. I apologize to those trying to transcribe this as I do go quickly at times when I speak and, have a nasty happy of under-enunciating, especially when tired. We record these late on a Friday, so that happens more often than it should on a recorded medium. =/

Salverus
03-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Great, and i am supposed to figure it out ? :cool:
Also is there a list of all HEX employees somewhere? I have no clue at all how to write the names or can i just write them phonetically?

Zubrin
03-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Great, and i am supposed to figure it out ? :cool:
Also is there a list of all HEX employees somewhere? I have no clue at all how to write the names or can i just write them phonetically?

If you bold the unclear words and provide a timestamp I and/or others will go through and try to clarify it. You are doing the heroic work here, so I will be happy to assist when I can.

fido_one
03-22-2016, 08:54 AM
If you bold the unclear words and provide a timestamp I and/or others will go through and try to clarify it. You are doing the heroic work here, so I will be happy to assist when I can.

Yeah, you too Zubrin, for making it happen!

I won't beat a dead horse but I think Salverus deserves more than a Windsinger and 2 packs of AoM, so I'd encourage other people to send him some stuff in game. This podcast really needed a transcribe, more-so than any other one given the length (and amount of stuff in it).

Salverus, I just don't want you to burn out, I'd say find a rhythm that works (what you posted was awesome, even if a phrase or two isn't easily decipherable, I'd just mark it [? or sic] and move on).

Cory_Jones
03-22-2016, 09:07 AM
This is a bunch of work and thank you Salverus for doing it, I will pitch in a primal pack from each set for your effort :)

superdax
03-22-2016, 09:30 AM
This is a bunch of work and thank you Salverus for doing it, I will pitch in a primal pack from each set for your effort :)

Now this is why we love you Cory. Your always there to help players.

Salverus
03-22-2016, 12:18 PM
Thank you very much Cory.
Also where do i post the final result, since I think there is a limit on the amount of characters per post?
(I'll be honest, it will take a bit longer than i anticipated ^^,) I did the first 30 minutes (5,082 words / 9 pages), but going to have dinner now.

ossuary
03-22-2016, 12:40 PM
If I were you, I'd post the document to google docs. Make sure you mark it as public / publish to the web. Then you can just post a link to it (and I'm sure the OP will update the first post with the link, so everyone can find it easily). :)

nicosharp
03-22-2016, 12:45 PM
With incentive like that, I wouldn't be surprised if Zubrin is installing some Dragon Speak software now to run with his recording.

Salverus
03-22-2016, 12:59 PM
I think this should work:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wGQqZJ3DIfQlRc3tcjGvq4FTz2_vmez2QSmWUqhCtPA
can you see that document?

LeMazing
03-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Yep, looks good so far!

Largashbur
03-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Really cool that you decided to transcribe the text but I would love to read more than just till the 30 min mark :) So - go on :)

Zubrin
03-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Probably was "Hex, the animated show." I will have to go back and listen to the first one later, but it is certainly about an "ante" system.

Zubrin
03-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Updated the initial post with the work-in-progress transcript and proper credit to salverus.

Bolded Corrections:

16:20 You need the ante system in here where you just throw some random card from your... [deck]

24:26: You can have an Epic Spell Wars Rick and Morty alternate universe too

Skirovik
03-23-2016, 07:30 PM
Thanks heaps Salverus! That reward from Cory is certainly nice too. :D

Looking forward to finally getting to listen to the rest of this podcast or reading the transcript, whichever comes easier to me first, lol.

strawwmann
03-25-2016, 02:06 AM
Yeah campaign is demanding on both ram and graphics, so mostly game crashes to lack of RAM i think

That may be one cause, but I don't think it is the major one.
I have a very decent & recent desktop PC (32 GB ram, Core i7, 12 core, 3.3GHz CPU, GeForce GTX 970 etc.)
and the game still crashes/freezes/locks-up/severe graphical glitches very frequently (more than once an hour on average).

This is by far the least stable version since early Beta for me (it has been getting noticibaly more buggy with every release for the past 12+ mo for me) - I suspect the unfinished bits of code from being rushed to develop the next feature before properly implementing the current/previous ones are all piling up & coming back to bite.

Is my experience unusual, or are others finding the same?

(I have tons of saved error logs, but the crash message that asks you to send these to the developers doesn't include instructions on where to send the logs - I tried the regular support site, but the attachments were too large and the report was rejected.
Does anyone know where to send these? I suspect there is such a massive back log of bugs to fix that they may not even want any more logs/reports?)

Elwinz
03-25-2016, 02:29 AM
Thats definetly not the only issue, but low sepcs cant really play at all. With higher specs its something else, sometiimes its just something with win10. Campaign works fine for me, tough arena is broken -.-

madar
03-25-2016, 02:58 AM
It's not only your experience straw. The log sending message is just a standard message from the framework (Unity), (i think partly to telling gently: it's not our fault, it's the programmer's fault), i believe they don't want this logs. (i asked the same thing once, like two years ago, and didnt get answer)

strawwmann
03-26-2016, 03:03 AM
It's not only your experience straw. The log sending message is just a standard message from the framework (Unity), (i think partly to telling gently: it's not our fault, it's the programmer's fault), i believe they don't want this logs. (i asked the same thing once, like two years ago, and didnt get answer)

OK, thanks for pointing out it is a default Unity error message.
(I had assumed this was something the Hex developers had programmed).
I will add clean-up routine to my start-up script (deleting 80 error log folders from last few weeks...)

Salverus
03-29-2016, 01:28 PM
I think I pretty much finished the entire transcript now, 40 pages in total with a a few things still missing here and there. Most of them do not matter for the understanding of the sentence.
I also would like to say that every single time I worked on this during the last week, which I did split into blocks of 10 minutes of podcast, I saw at least one, mostly two, people reading the document too. I literally never had a moment where I was the only person watching it, so that was also a good motivation to finish it as quickly as possible, seeing there is a lot of demand for even though this topic fell of the first page ^^
I also tried to keep it as literal as possible, without changing any words from what they said (even learned some new english words).

Largashbur
03-29-2016, 03:37 PM
First time I was able to pick up Cory's enthusiasm about the game that everyone was writing about during the last few years.

Thanks for the wonderful transcriptions, you definitely deserve praise for your work :)

Zubrin
03-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Thank you Salverus for doing this.

Yoss
03-31-2016, 02:55 PM
I started taking notes about half way through...

Great to hear that the currency problem has a solution and they're just working through implementation at this point.

--kaitens---
"cadence"

"eventually going to model space"
should be "mobile" as in tablets, iPad, etc.

Regarding the rule book, having an in-game log of play by play would probably cover 99% of the questions that a rule book would and would cover many other things besides. So rather than waste time on a rule book for a digital game, spend the time on a digital solution (game logs).

80 minute mark makes me cry. It sounds like we'll never get our TCG sandbox, which means most of my favorite TCG modes will never be done in Hex (Emperor, for example).

"magical comic guys"
should be "comet"

"traug door ????"
trogdor
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trogdor

"Spending so much of my time, passion and energy making it and then having it cancelled and no publisher wanting to pick it up as I went around trying to convince someone to pick the game up. And then the lowest of the low, before that kickstarter, just thinking my baby was dead, this was it, it was just a complete hail [Mary]...
Little did I know that after that I would be 3 and a half years long of continuing to work as hard, or harder, than we ever worked to continue and drive the game forward...
soak in this moment and understand how amazing this opportunity is for you, as someone who creates things, to really have brought something into the world and then see people enjoy it and love it."
I already knew most of this, but I am just in awe all over again at Cory's vision and fortitude to push this game through to publishing. I don't know if he's even making money off Hex yet, but when this pays off and he's a billionaire, no one should be complaining one bit. He's paid his dues and earned it. Hats off to you, Cory. Even if it all crashed tomorrow, you've already pulled off an amazing feat.