PDA

View Full Version : Characters of Primal Dawn

Shaqattaq
03-07-2016, 03:30 PM
by Loregoyle

A number of characters from the first HEX novel have made appearances in our card sets, including Periwinkle, Alwyn, and the ever-tricksy Windsinger, Master of the Hunt. In Primal Dawn, the Accidental Knight himself finally gets his own card! William, along with his soul-bonded Great Wolf Rowan, make an unstoppable combination.

https://www.hextcg.com/characters-of-primal-dawn/

Gregangel
03-07-2016, 03:35 PM
We don't see what Wolf Rowan card is ?

Shaqattaq
03-07-2016, 03:41 PM
We don't see what Wolf Rowan card is ?

You caught me while I was coding that part! It's up now. :)

Gregangel
03-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Thanks! As alucard would say : "Awesome !"

Vorsa
03-07-2016, 04:31 PM
William Rowan is quite a looker - for some reason makes me think he's off to a Quidditch match. :confused:

He's quite a wild card on turn 3; (in a standard deck) when you swing he has a 10% chance of changing from a vanilla 3/2 to a 3/2 with Swiftstrike and double damage.

Not an obvious card for constructed, but seems like he'd have good mileage with combat quick actions & in PvE decks with Ethereals and Kisses so he's attacking as part of a pack.

Salverus
03-07-2016, 04:35 PM
that William Rowan looks cool and appears extremely good in limited with smaller decks.
if William Rowen attacks and creates a Rowen, if then both attack and a second Rowen enters the board because it moved up to the top of the deck, the attacking Rowen goes to the crypt due to being unique before dealing damage? Interesting
(if you run multiple Williams or if he gets time rippled)

Brjuntinaar
03-07-2016, 04:36 PM
if William Rowen attacks and creates a Rowen, if then both attack and a second Rowen enters the board because it moved up to the top of the deck, the attacking Rowen goes to the crypt due to being unique before dealing damage? Interesting
Huh...almost makes me think that they need to add something to the card to prevent that from happening, as it's going to be a relatively common occurrence in decks that run multiples of him.

Yoss
03-07-2016, 04:38 PM
I really like how the Rowan mechanic meshes with the lore from the book. Well done.

RCDv57
03-07-2016, 04:43 PM
William's a chump and I can't wait to Kill (http://www.hexprimal.com/wp-content/uploads/KillAA-318x446.jpg) him

Vorsa
03-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Huh...almost makes me think that they need to add something to the card to prevent that from happening, as it's going to be a relatively common occurrence in decks that run multiples of him.

I can see how they could make an equipment to specifically target that eventuality (e.g. if Rowan is already in play, instead void that copy and both get +5/+5 this turn), but I'd really like a discrete fix because it does seem an obvious annoyance now it's been pointed out.
Obviously there'd be some positive scenarios - e.g. Rowan has been incapacitated with Inner Conflict or Mesmerize - but the majority of the time he won't have been.

I think the simplest (and also strongest) change would simply be: "If the top card of your deck is a Rowan, you may put him into play."
That prevents attack cancelling, while also allowing to 'over-write' an incapacitated Rowan or - if Rowan isn't attacking - pull a switcheroo simply so he isn't a dead draw the following turn.

Yoss
03-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Or have Rowan come into play attacking.

Jugg
03-07-2016, 04:57 PM

This. That is what I was going to say... add one word "attacking" and problem is solved ^_^

Vorsa
03-07-2016, 04:59 PM

An option, though you'd be quite annoyed if you held him back as a blocker. :p
It might be worth it for the possibility of a turn 3 monster strike though - William attacking with a 3-to-11 damage range!

Yoss
03-07-2016, 05:05 PM

Mechanically, yes, but lore wise it actually makes more sense to have Rowan and William go together.

Jugg
03-07-2016, 05:06 PM
It is also a 3/2 for 2 with HUGE upside... I think that minor drawback is more than reasonable

Voormas
03-07-2016, 05:16 PM
I thought Rowan the great wolf was a lady but William says "Create Rowan and put him into your deck" - I'm probably wrong but can't double-check at work ;)

Kubira
03-07-2016, 05:23 PM
I thought Rowan the great wolf was a lady but William says "Create Rowan and put him into your deck" - I'm probably wrong but can't double-check at work ;)
You aren't wrong. Someone didn't read the book.

Loregoyle
03-07-2016, 05:44 PM

Rowan is indeed a she-wolf. The card has been corrected internally.

Voormas
03-07-2016, 09:49 PM
Nice, glad to be of help - if you have any more Set 4 cards you me to double-check just let me know ;)

RCDv57
03-07-2016, 11:50 PM
All the 10KB's must have confused the person writing up that card.

Khendral
03-08-2016, 11:09 AM

Why? Rowan has steadfast

Voormas
03-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Edit: never mind I found my answer;

For players wondering where "zapped Vennen card" is, we thought this one would be more exciting instead. That zapped Vennen card is coming sometime in the future =)