PDA

View Full Version : Will Player PvP Stats be Available Eventually?

Yoss
03-07-2016, 05:54 PM
I was under the impression that we'd had official confirmation in the past (maybe back during KS? I'd appreciate a link if someone can find it) that we would have player PvP stats officially tracked and reported. However, in a recent post, HXE seems to be contradicting this (see below).

Hi all. I shared that information with ValueCity in order to enhance the player introduction videos. I shouldn't have been so specific and clearly did not understand at the time that all players would request this information. At this time, we won't be making this information public and I apologize for sharing that information with one specific player. It was not fair and we'll have better internal guidelines for communicating unpublished game information in the future.

I thought official PvP stats tracking was on the official road map as a future feature. Has that changed?

As asked there (and not answered yet), has the plan changed?

Halcyonn
03-08-2016, 12:28 AM
Doesn't seem like a good idea in my opinion. It doesn't really add anything to the game (unless there is some kind of ladder implementation which some people are in favor of).

All this would accomplish is to create elitism in the community, create a negative incentive to be inventive in PvP formats, and give a greater advantage to players who have dedicated play testing groups.

None of these things are good for Hex.

Elitism is antagonistic to new players. One of the best things Hex has going for it is that both the game and the community are welcoming to new players and this is essential if the game is to grow and prosper. If there are negative incentives for creativity, PvP will converge on a stale, unevolving meta in which players will be scared not to play "the best deck" for fear of their rating dropping. This will probably also make constructed even more expensive than it already is. The combination of these two effects will reduce the number of people who are playing PvP in general. Queues will not fire as quickly, and events like the Invitational will not be as successful.

I am certain that there are valid arguments to the contrary, but I think we can all agree that Hex needs a thriving player base as well as outlets for creative deck building. Functionalities that get in the way of those things are harmful to the game.

Cernz
03-08-2016, 12:33 AM
but... but... i <3 statistics :(

+ i am too lazy to do them on my own ;p

sukebe
03-08-2016, 12:54 AM
I would like to see this eventually. Let people show off their epeens :-)

I won't ever have that amazing of a record but that won't bother me or change how I play. You win some and you lose some and as long as you enjoy the ride the ration of wins to loses doesn't matter except as a goal to improve on.

Gregangel
03-08-2016, 04:34 AM
These stat could only be private not public. Personnaly I don't care about knowing my win rate but i keep track on my return on investment in draft. I have a 78% ROI in draft, for 100 packs open in draft, 78 came back. But i have no clue if it's above or under average. But i really don't care. The figure makes me glad and i use this stat to lure new players (friends or not) into the game.

Because that make me said to them " see, if you are not a too bad player, Hex cost you way less silly time grind and real money than others CCG pretending they are free to play games"
Best appealling argument ever.

Malicus
03-08-2016, 04:53 AM
I find it odd all the people who think the game will suddenly become terrible and people will start not playing to defend their rating etc. What would be the point? We just want to know our stats - talking about some tournament invite based on lifetime win % is completely separate from this notion.

Elwinz
03-08-2016, 04:55 AM
i dont want to see my terrible win rates; p

The_Lannisters
03-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Bring it on, I've been hovering in between 800 and 1200 MMR in Dota2 for a long while. Being bottom of the barrel does not face me one bit :o

Saeijou
03-08-2016, 04:11 PM
+1 for my own statistics

and manage it intelligent to make the statistics public to everyone :D

Angmar
03-08-2016, 04:25 PM
These stat could only be private not public. Personnaly I don't care about knowing my win rate but i keep track on my return on investment in draft. I have a 78% ROI in draft, for 100 packs open in draft, 78 came back. But i have no clue if it's above or under average. But i really don't care. The figure makes me glad and i use this stat to lure new players (friends or not) into the game.

Because that make me said to them " see, if you are not a too bad player, Hex cost you way less silly time grind and real money than others CCG pretending they are free to play games"
Best appealling argument ever.

24 packs go into a draft, 12 packs are paid out. Presumably a perfectly average player would have a 50% return, but its not exactly a bell curve - 0% return is possible were as over 100% return is also possible. I'd say your very safely in the top half.

Zophie
03-08-2016, 09:13 PM
I was under the impression that we'd had official confirmation in the past (maybe back during KS? I'd appreciate a link if someone can find it) that we would have player PvP stats officially tracked and reported. However, in a recent post, HXE seems to be contradicting this (see below).

He's not contradicting anything, and you're definitely taking this quote out of context by implying that he is. They aren't prepared to present those kinds of player statistics or rankings or anything like that to players, and it was not fair for them to tell one specific player about this particular stat when they can't give the same info to all other players, and considering it was more of a piece of ranking information it also isn't fair to others who feel they could have also competed for said ranking had they known it would even be relevant at any point. So at this time they're letting people know they shouldn't have done that for that one guy and they won't be doing the same for everyone else. That doesn't mean we won't get statistics or rankings in the future, just not right now. There's nothing contradictory at all about this.

Cernz
03-08-2016, 11:48 PM
i dont get the problem, its ok from the devs that they might not want to give the information to all of us, but... what would be wrong with it when we get alpha and/or beta stats / leaderboards for drafts (as example) - they dont need to publish statistics since the launch, but the alpha/beta ones would be nice to see - imo.

Yoss
03-09-2016, 11:47 AM
He's not contradicting anything, and you're definitely taking this quote out of context by implying that he is. They aren't prepared to present those kinds of player statistics or rankings or anything like that to players, and it was not fair for them to tell one specific player about this particular stat when they can't give the same info to all other players, and considering it was more of a piece of ranking information it also isn't fair to others who feel they could have also competed for said ranking had they known it would even be relevant at any point. So at this time they're letting people know they shouldn't have done that for that one guy and they won't be doing the same for everyone else. That doesn't mean we won't get statistics or rankings in the future, just not right now. There's nothing contradictory at all about this.

I did say "seems", but thank you for the alternate reading of it. So it's ambiguous as to whether it's contradictory or not, which isn't much better.

Rodick
03-09-2016, 05:47 PM
I dont know about you, but i want stats so badly! Pen and Paper can be pain in a.s!