PDA

View Full Version : Primal Dawn - Lazgar Chul

Shaqattaq
03-09-2016, 11:47 AM
All vennen are male. It is the fundamental truth of vennen society, the basis of their fanatical religious devotion.

Except that it is a lie.

The orcs have been keeping a secret for decades, even from their Ardent allies. The time has come to expose this secret to the world. The shockwaves of this revelation will surely plunge the Ardent and the Underworld back into the nightmare of all-out war.

https://www.hextcg.com/primal-dawn-lazgar-chul/

magic_gazz
03-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Wow.

More please.

AdamAoE2
03-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Brilliant. Loved every word of it. This is the story-telling that I know Hex is capable of and helps create the world.

Fantastic job!

NOBLERoostasaur
03-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Amazing story, great lore.

Vorsa
03-09-2016, 12:10 PM
She's tough all right, but could she survive 250 eggs to the face? /TeamBroodBaron :p

A great read, and a very good card. :cool:

theghost32
03-09-2016, 12:31 PM
would be fun to see female vennen in game

Warrender
03-09-2016, 12:34 PM
That was awesome! Who wrote that excellent piece and why aren't they writing the next Hex novel?

Halcyonn
03-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Awesome piece of lore. Been dying to read that since I got stampede by her in Gauntlet :P

Do we get an image teaser for tomorrow? :)

Khazrakh
03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Awesome!

Phenteo
03-09-2016, 01:24 PM
The lore is written by our very own Loregoyle.

Crota
03-09-2016, 01:42 PM
How did I miss the faction icon when I saw this last week...

Thand
03-09-2016, 02:10 PM
"This is the Fifth Sign: The daughter of Blood Magic will emerge from the mouth of the mountain and speak to those who will not listen."

JBMac
03-09-2016, 02:36 PM
I love this, I would love for this to shatter the Vennen theocracy, I don't mind religion in fantasy cultures. Sometimes I enjoy it if the theme fits positively but religious fanaticism like current Vennen culture/society drives me up the wall. I would welcome a split in Vennen Factions (Theocratic Fanatics and Outcasts). Outcast still love Xentoth but it is more as motherly devotion then religious whatnot.

Yoss
03-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Excellent little story. Do we have a card spoiler for her somewhere?

TOOT
03-09-2016, 02:52 PM
If you clicked the portrait it showed the card...

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LazgarChul.png

Yoss
03-09-2016, 02:55 PM
If you clicked the portrait it showed the card...

https://www.hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/LazgarChul.png

Pretty awesome card. Needs Crush though, so the 5 damage will go through any chump blockers that die to the -5/-5.

Loregoyle
03-09-2016, 03:12 PM
"This is the Fifth Sign: The daughter of Blood Magic will emerge from the mouth of the mountain and speak to those who will not listen."

Thand gets a gold star for today.

RCDv57
03-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Things just got real.
What are all the other signs, Imma go crazy with spe-cu-lat-ion now.

Thand
03-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Thand gets a gold star for today.

What an honor! I really wish I could have this as an avatar.

Things just got real.
What are all the other signs, Imma go crazy with spe-cu-lat-ion now.
You can see them in this thread (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=44313).

Roy_G
03-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Great story,more hex lore please.

fitzle
03-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Good stuff, I really liked it as well. Nice to see things we know get shaken up.

Kilo24
03-09-2016, 07:55 PM
I must say that my biggest worry about the Hex lore was that it would just have a constant stream of characters that were just the embodiment of their race's stereotype, something that The Accidental Knight and Adventure Zone 1 did little to quell. This, however, has given me a bit more hope (assuming the revelation isn't just "Vennen aren't just all evil zealots - they're all lying evil zealots!").

I'd love to see a few more things like this that call into question the simplistic presentation of the races we currently have (for the Ardent as well as the Underworld). I fully understand that that type of subversion is a pretty difficult thing to start off an introduction to a fantasy setting with, and hope that that's the reason that we're currently not seeing much more of this type of thing.

Flairina
03-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Very nicely done. Though I somehow doubt the orcs will manage to truly exterminate the vennen given that they're a flagship race, this is quite interesting. Lazgar is special, so I doubt we'll be seeing any more female vennen, but depending on how this bit ends, I'll hold out hope that it's possible. I actually am kind of wondering if any disillusioned vennen will just... leave. Doubtful they'll try to defect to the orcs, but we could end up with a special, non-aligned few of them, if things go that way. Although, the fact that it says "will speak to those who will not listen" is rather indicative of how this is going to go...

Since this is clearly the fifth sign- nice catch there by the way- the question of the third and forth signs, which presumably happened prior, needs to be brought up again. For the sake of convenience:

"This is the Third Sign: A strange beast like a buffalo but with great long horns and eyes like glowing coals will overrun the land in large numbers."

"This is the Fourth Sign: Thin, hairless creatures of pure chaos will shatter an ancient soul that was long ago transformed."

The third sign was speculated to be the minotaurs, which fits, but we have no real lore on them besides them being mercenaries. There's nothing to really imply that they "overran" the land honestly, so I'm not sure what to make of this. If it's supposed to be some other creature, then what?

The forth sign was speculated to be the goblins shattering the soul of Oberon somehow- and if that happens BEFORE Lazgar reveals herself, I have to wonder what will be going on with the other factions at the time. I don't know how much love the elves have for Oberon, but I can't imagine they'll take that lying down. And WHY would the goblins do that? Besides being horrible I mean- what do they GAIN from it? Surely something, or there's no new factor to create characters with. The question of what happens to a shattered mass of pure wild magic is now raised... or, maybe they're talking about some other ancient transformed soul I've forgotten about. I dunno.

facade
03-09-2016, 09:21 PM
The forth sign was speculated to be the goblins shattering the soul of Oberon somehow- and if that happens BEFORE Lazgar reveals herself, I have to wonder what will be going on with the other factions at the time. I don't know how much love the elves have for Oberon, but I can't imagine they'll take that lying down. And WHY would the goblins do that? Besides being horrible I mean- what do they GAIN from it? Surely something, or there's no new factor to create characters with. The question of what happens to a shattered mass of pure wild magic is now raised... or, maybe they're talking about some other ancient transformed soul I've forgotten about. I dunno.

Well even a shattered primal soul has power. From https://www.hextcg.com/story/humans/, the primal of wolves sacrificed and shattered her soul to make the Great Wolves you see as human companions. The Goblins might forcibly shatter a primal's soul and then use those fragments in a manner similar to Wiktor and his fire zombies in AZ1.

hammer
03-09-2016, 11:46 PM
The third sign is armies of myth (the card character not the set) ??

Frost3
03-10-2016, 12:57 AM
Very nicely done. Though I somehow doubt the orcs will manage to truly exterminate the vennen given that they're a flagship race, this is quite interesting. Lazgar is special, so I doubt we'll be seeing any more female vennen, but depending on how this bit ends, I'll hold out hope that it's possible. I actually am kind of wondering if any disillusioned vennen will just... leave. Doubtful they'll try to defect to the orcs, but we could end up with a special, non-aligned few of them, if things go that way. Although, the fact that it says "will speak to those who will not listen" is rather indicative of how this is going to go...

Since this is clearly the fifth sign- nice catch there by the way- the question of the third and forth signs, which presumably happened prior, needs to be brought up again. For the sake of convenience:

"This is the Third Sign: A strange beast like a buffalo but with great long horns and eyes like glowing coals will overrun the land in large numbers."

"This is the Fourth Sign: Thin, hairless creatures of pure chaos will shatter an ancient soul that was long ago transformed."

The third sign was speculated to be the minotaurs, which fits, but we have no real lore on them besides them being mercenaries. There's nothing to really imply that they "overran" the land honestly, so I'm not sure what to make of this. If it's supposed to be some other creature, then what?

Also remember these are Coyotle signs. Coyotle don't see time the way the rest of us do, so the signs may not come in order. Though the speculation is still fun and worthwhile.

Khazrakh
03-10-2016, 04:03 AM
Also remember these are Coyotle signs. Coyotle don't see time the way the rest of us do, so the signs may not come in order. Though the speculation is still fun and worthwhile.

That's a good point. If I understand it correctly to them everything is happening at the same time so there don't have to be in a chronological order.

Erukk
03-10-2016, 05:07 AM

It's a bit of a stretch, but the fourth sign could possibly be dealing with what Wiktor did with the flame zombies. The Hexing Gems have sentience and self-awareness, and in the Necrotic's case they are all extensions/broken off pieces of what I would hazard to call the mind residing in the huge diamond Volosolov.

If the rubies and sapphire contain the same sentience and self-awareness as the diamonds do, it could be possibly that Wiktor and the other goblins shattered a huge ruby somewhere, and they have been using the shattered bits of the "ancient soul" to fuel whatever madness they were entertaining at the time.

Erebus
03-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Love the story, just had a problem with the ending. Lazgar Chul's goal doesn't make logical sense with her backstory. "I was supposed to be slaughter as a hatchling, but I survive. Therefore I will kill Xentoth, all the Vennen and all the eggs!" How does that make her any better then the Brood Barons? Genocide is more humane then gynocide? Wouldn't someone like Chul desire her people free of Xentoth's influence. Shouldn't her goal be to rescue the eggs, not destroy them?

Crackpot theory for the future: Maybe Vennen are inherently corrupt due to being creatures of nearly pure blood magic, and Chul's real goal is to destroy Xentoth's and take her place as Primal/God/Leader of the Vennen.

Aradon
03-10-2016, 12:15 PM
My takeaway from it was that Vennen are naturally vengeful. She doesn't want to be better than the other Vennen, just kill them for their intent to kill her. On the other hand, she also seems to be fanatically devoted to Kog Tepetl, and the orcs seem to think it's his will to destroy all Vennen. So it could either be born from Vennen instinct or from religious teachings. I don't think she's aspiring to be the better person in this case, though.

Fred
03-10-2016, 12:16 PM
Very nicely done. Though I somehow doubt the orcs will manage to truly exterminate the vennen given that they're a flagship race, this is quite interesting.

Just because they say they will does not make it so. What I suspect this will do is start an all-out war (as is described in the introduction).

This will continue the series of "signs" from the Coyotle (Lazgar Chul is the fifth sign), with big earthquakes/volcanic eruptions (6th sign, Kog'tepetl's anger maybe?), and start the all-out war (7th sign and up). That will drive the lore and PvE content for the next several years. Cory did say that he already had 7 years worth of story ready, so I'm guessing this huge war is going to be a big part of it.

Yoss
03-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Love the story, just had a problem with the ending. Lazgar Chul's goal doesn't make logical sense with her backstory. "I was supposed to be slaughter as a hatchling, but I survive. Therefore I will kill Xentoth, all the Vennen and all the eggs!" How does that make her any better then the Brood Barons? Genocide is more humane then gynocide? Wouldn't someone like Chul desire her people free of Xentoth's influence. Shouldn't her goal be to rescue the eggs, not destroy them?

Crackpot theory for the future: Maybe Vennen are inherently corrupt due to being creatures of nearly pure blood magic, and Chul's real goal is to destroy Xentoth's and take her place as Primal/God/Leader of the Vennen.

I had similar thoughts. However, we have to note that she's been raised by a high cleric of KT to hate Vennen. Perhaps once/if she's out from under her mentor she can start to think more for herself. Right now she's just being used as a tool; she's certainly not being loved and cared for. I'd like to think that some day she'll start her own Vennen rebel tribe that hates both Xentoth and Orcs. Xentoth for the reasons already stated in the story, Orcs because they're just using her and then will throw her away when her usefulness has ended.

Tazelbain
03-10-2016, 01:01 PM
Love the story, just had a problem with the ending. Lazgar Chul's goal doesn't make logical sense with her backstory. "I was supposed to be slaughter as a hatchling, but I survive. Therefore I will kill Xentoth, all the Vennen and all the eggs!" How does that make her any better then the Brood Barons? Genocide is more humane then gynocide? Wouldn't someone like Chul desire her people free of Xentoth's influence. Shouldn't her goal be to rescue the eggs, not destroy them?I have a feeling Vennen and Orcs don't share the world view that being more humane is better.

Erebus
03-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I have a feeling Vennen and Orcs don't share the world view that being more humane is better.

Less about being "humane" and more about being a hypocrite.

Frekki
03-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I loved this story and I am so excited to see where Lazgar Chul's story will take her next. (Yay strong female characters!)

darkwonders
03-11-2016, 07:58 AM
Well considering the entire dwarven philosophy is "fuck the surface" the races in Hex aren't the most empathetic creatures.

Fateanomaly
03-11-2016, 08:50 AM
I think Lazgar motivation isn't to rescue the other female vennens. Her objective to destroy the vennens and xentoth comes about because she identifies herself as an orc and follower of kog tepetl not because of personal revenge.

NOBLEStarshield
03-11-2016, 01:03 PM
This has been my favorite bit of lore by far! Well written Loregoyle <3

Gregangel
03-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Hex site is down right now?

hex_colin
03-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Hex site is down right now?

It was. Appears to be fixed though.

FoundInTheFlood
03-12-2016, 01:29 AM
Pretty awesome card. Needs Crush though, so the 5 damage will go through any chump blockers that die to the -5/-5.

I think they get -5 -5 and die BEFORE the enemy can assign them as blockers so there are no chump blockers left.

FoundInTheFlood
03-12-2016, 01:31 AM
I thought that the bull-like creatures were the orks? They tend to try to overrun anything :D

FoundInTheFlood
03-12-2016, 01:33 AM

KERRIGAN! I mean ... VENNIGAN !!!! Vegetarian! Vinegar !?!?!? It's a vegan conspiracy!

sukebe
03-12-2016, 03:02 PM
I think they get -5 -5 and die BEFORE the enemy can assign them as blockers so there are no chump blockers left.

...It specifically says they get the -5/-5 when they block.

Edswor
03-15-2016, 01:53 PM
I just finish reading the story and I really like it. Can wait to see the cards / pve that comes from this.

Erebus
03-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Remember it affects all troops the turn she enters play, not just the ones that block her. You play her and swing with board. Chances are you'll decimate the opponent's board state at the very least.

Yoss
03-18-2016, 07:58 AM
Remember it affects all troops the turn she enters play, not just the ones that block her. You play her and swing with board. Chances are you'll decimate the opponent's board state at the very least.

Oooh, yeah, I missed that part. That's amazing. Never mind, she doesn't need Crush. You play her kinda like Gore Feast I guess.

LegoFortress
03-25-2016, 12:03 PM
So, I didn't see if this was said before, but is it possible that gender isn't chromosomally determined for the Vennen? And therefore, her "sisters" aren't being killed. For example, lots of reptiles have the gender distribution based on the temperature of incubation, and bees have gender determined by the geometry of the cell they grow in and the food they are given during the larval stage. It's possible if Vennen are temperature based for the gender, that by tightly controlling the environment in the brood chambers, they only hatch males, and the orcs ended up with a female because they stole the eggs and incubated them at different temperatures (as I'm sure they wouldn't pay as much attention to that sort of thing)? The 50/50 gender birth ratio and a sex chromosome are definitely not universal in biology.

Erukk
03-25-2016, 11:55 PM
It's possibly, but I have my doubts considering that two of the three eggs that the orcs stole were carrying male Vennen. To the best of our knowledge, those eggs were exposed to the same conditions after they were stolen, and they were all incubated for the remaining time in the same room together at roughly the same temperature.

So, it's still possibly considering we're lacking a lot of story detailing, but I'm not sure about the idea for a storytelling perspective. It would kinda ruin the vengeance storyline Lazgar has going on if Xentoth and the cabal of Brood Barons weren't systematically killing off the Vennen's female population, but instead; they were simply making sure they were never born in the first place.

It would turn Lazgar from a victim of the whims of a mad goddess/Primal to simply a fluke. A dangerous fluke, but a fluke nonetheless.