PDA

View Full Version : The Elite Battle Tech match in Crayburn castle is completely unfair

BreadMold
03-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Is there any strategy to this fight besides praying that your starting hand doesn't suck complete and utter ass?

You don't get to choose your cards, and that's the biggest problem with the Crayburn dungeon. At least when you fight Wiktor you actually get to CHOOSE your deck. I'm playing through all the races one by one, and by far the elf race is hands down the hardest, because the second battle in Crayburn castle you're fighting something as hard as the wormoids without the ability to choose your deck.

Saeijou
03-09-2016, 01:00 PM
did you look into the stategy section of the forums? a lot of people post a lot of decks there :)

Khazrakh
03-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Those first encounters really only come down to luck of the draw. I've played 2 elves so far and beat the encounter first try each time. If you are really unlucky you'll get several bad hands in a row (happened to me with the shin'hare deck) but most of the time you should be able to easily beat the encounter.

Baigan
03-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Saeijou, the whole point of his second paragraph is that you can't edit your deck in the first dungeon (Crayburn Castle).

I personally didn't have any issues with Crayburn as an Elf; did four playthroughs for the race-specific items. Not sure what to tell you, BreadMold.

nicosharp
03-09-2016, 01:06 PM
I can't remember the encounter specifically, as Crayburn Castle is not one a lot of fansites cover / encounter for encounter.
The only thing I can vaguely remember is that all the starter decks have some form of "trick", like Wild Aura / Sapphire Aura / Bravery / etc. Usually the tricks are what allow you to make the starter dungeon easier.

Can you let us know what he is doing that is challenging? Sorry my memory sucks, but happy to help you in regards to the encounter.

Crayburn Castle is designed to be tutorial introduction content, so is basically created to be easy, but there are a few encounters with the starter decks that can be challenging if you are playing Mage, and/or keeping the wrong hand/playing the tricks incorrectly/blocking and attacking incorrectly.

Oh - I think I recall now - with Elf - Basically you want to build a board presence with your cards, and play a stall war. You only attack when you have a trick, because they will block for exacts. That is when you play your trick. I think I remember that encounter to be a little difficult, as he gets a board pretty quickly.

It would probably be best for you to make these posts in Strategy and Decklists. Also, maybe worth mentioning this to Teamclockwork that made the PvE compendium to include Crayburn Castle content/starter decks. and each Races enemy Race. (Elf is Dwarf/etc.)

BreadMold
03-09-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks. It's the fight where the enemy starts with two 1/1's, and throws out a bunch of 1/1's with this artifact that turns into a 5/5 when enough 1/1's are exhausted. And he loves to use tons of those artifacts. As if that was not enough his hero ability has a "time ripple" effect, and his axebots turn his 5/5's into 7/7's.

I'm currently using Elf Warrior. Honestly I wish I have removal spells to deal with his 5/5's.

nicosharp
03-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Okay, I do remember that encounter. One time I almost got steamrolled by it, but he luckily bounced his own war hulk to his hand.. You can also sacrifice a few weaker troops early to get him to trade with his 1/1's so he has less on the table to exhaust for his plans. At least Warrior has good starting health to survive. The down side is your starting hand size, and needing 5 resources to get rolling with the starter deck.

Khazrakh
03-09-2016, 01:57 PM
Aye the AI gladly trades his worker bots for your troops even if it has to trade two or three for one. Perfect play is to attack with something like a wild child, have him block with 2 1/1s and then play a combat trick like wild aura. If you kill the worker bots early there's not much his deck ever does. You really just want to be as aggressive as possible and mulligan if you don't get a fast hand.

AdamAoE2
03-09-2016, 02:49 PM
It would probably be best for you to make these posts in Strategy and Decklists. Also, maybe worth mentioning this to Teamclockwork that made the PvE compendium to include Crayburn Castle content/starter decks. and each Races enemy Race. (Elf is Dwarf/etc.)

I considered doing this, but wanted to work on the Frost Ring content first. I will likely add Castle Crayburn and a starter guide for new players at some point in the future.

nicosharp
03-09-2016, 03:00 PM
I considered doing this, but wanted to work on the Frost Ring content first. I will likely add Castle Crayburn and a starter guide for new players at some point in the future.

Oh glad you saw this Brynhildr - keep up the good work.
Crayburn is super easy, but if you did want to cater to brand new players, it might be worth having some info on.

Timlagor
03-10-2016, 07:06 AM
It's not just luck of the draw. There is definitely play skill involved too but I think you've already got the advice you need.

There is definitely a luck element and it truly sucks to play this through multiple times with the shoddy starter decks.